TOLLAND: Property Inspections Are Und...

TOLLAND: Property Inspections Are Underway

There are 23 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Oct 28, 2008, titled TOLLAND: Property Inspections Are Underway. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Officials are alerting residents that properties in the northwest area of town are being inspected as part of the 2009 revaluation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
disgusted

Marlborough, CT

#1 Nov 13, 2008
I sure hope when this is done the assessment reflects the down turn in housing prices.
Earl

Southington, CT

#2 Nov 17, 2008
What they don't tell you is that you can just say no.
Steve

Hartford, CT

#3 Nov 18, 2008
Earl wrote:
What they don't tell you is that you can just say no.
Would you care to elaborate on that sir?
Friction

Bethlehem, CT

#4 Nov 18, 2008
Earl wrote:
What they don't tell you is that you can just say no.
Yes, you can say no. And they can assume you have nine new bathrooms with solid gold fixtures and give you a bill that will make your eyes roll up in your head like a slot machine.

And they will.

Government is in charge. They have the power. Taxpayers will be forced to comply by all means. Do what they tell you and pay what they tell you or lose your home.

Period.
Earl

Southington, CT

#5 Nov 19, 2008
Friction wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you can say no. And they can assume you have nine new bathrooms with solid gold fixtures and give you a bill that will make your eyes roll up in your head like a slot machine.
And they will.
Government is in charge. They have the power. Taxpayers will be forced to comply by all means. Do what they tell you and pay what they tell you or lose your home.
Period.
Wow. So much for you standing up for yourself. Sheep.
Money Man

Enfield, CT

#6 Nov 19, 2008
You do NOT have to let them in your house.
Hanson J

Bethlehem, CT

#7 Nov 19, 2008
Earl wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. So much for you standing up for yourself. Sheep.
You must be way cool to be so bold. So can we safely assume you also told the assessor to screw? Please enlighten us as to what you're planning when you get a tax bill with a 40% increase.

You are just too awesome.
Jane H

Hamden, CT

#8 Nov 19, 2008
Hanson J wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be way cool to be so bold. So can we safely assume you also told the assessor to screw? Please enlighten us as to what you're planning when you get a tax bill with a 40% increase.
You are just too awesome.
Do you work for the town, clown? Or, the teachers union? That ain't how it works. If you don't let them in, they can't make assumptions. They use the last visits inspection findings for appraisal. Period.
TIN FOIL

East Haven, CT

#9 Nov 19, 2008
Warning, pull your plot plan , look at your last A-2 survey and compare acereage , square footage, room headings and the like, check all dimensions,,..compare your findings and facts to the town records, some of you might be suprised at the differences , 50/50 shot that its in your favor, but still worth looking into, let me know if i can help, or how you make out,
sorry about the spelling
TIN FOIL

East Haven, CT

#10 Nov 19, 2008
If you don't want to pay for an A-2,,, as the cost can be a bit, try looking for the concrete monuments, or iron pins , if you have trouble with the pins you can rent a metal detector for about 60 .00 a day to help locate them, always fun to look for buried treasure in the yard afterwards with the kids, we found a couple of suprises as well,... I know, spelling
TIN FOIL

East Haven, CT

#11 Nov 19, 2008
Oh and you can also pull your neighbors records at town hall as well , in order to see what the boundries are that they have on record , as to coordinated with yours
Bill E

Deep River, CT

#12 Nov 19, 2008
TIN FOIL wrote:
Oh and you can also pull your neighbors records at town hall as well , in order to see what the boundaries are that they have on record , as to coordinated with yours
GREAT post. I found that my neighbor had infringed upon my lands by 8 percent, 8 Percent I say is way to much.I want compensation.
TIN FOIL

Bloomfield, CT

#13 Nov 20, 2008
Bill E wrote:
<quoted text>GREAT post. I found that my neighbor had infringed upon my lands by 8 percent, 8 Percent I say is way to much.I want compensation.
OK, thank you , no problem,....this will also come in handy when a topic of a fence,shed,garage,swing set or any other outside structure is discussed, or removal of such as in trees.
Richard

Bethlehem, CT

#14 Nov 20, 2008
Having spent years hearing complaints as a member of a board of assessment appeals I know for a fact that "mistakes" are common after revaluations are calculated. Often the only way to resolve the issue is to make a physical inspection of the property, inside and out. Homeowners who will not allow such inspections generally lose.

Successful appeals require calm, logical arguments based on facts and evidence. Anger and bluster are instant losers. Being unprepared with facts (two or three similar comparisons, or comps) will make it unlikely for the board to find in your favor.

Ultimately if the board decides that members need to inspect your property before rendering a decision it is up to you to decide to permit it. But don't expect to win if you decide not to.
Richard

Bethlehem, CT

#15 Nov 20, 2008
disgusted wrote:
I sure hope when this is done the assessment reflects the down turn in housing prices.
I hope you don't expect an across-the-board decrease in real estate valuations to result in a lower property tax bill. It won't.

If the grand list (total value of property in town) is cut in half the mill rate will double, plus a percentage for the inevitable year-over-year spending increase.

Revaluations usually result in a big increase in the grand list which allows town government the opportunity to push large spending increases by sleeping taxpayers by selling them on the idea that the mill rate stayed the same or decreased slightly.

It is a lot like the old shell game. Just when you think you know which one is hiding the pea you take your eye off the other.
teacher

Marlborough, CT

#16 Nov 25, 2008
Jane H wrote:
<quoted text>Do you work for the town, clown? Or, the teachers union? That ain't how it works. If you don't let them in, they can't make assumptions. They use the last visits inspection findings for appraisal. Period.
WRONG!!! They only have to assume you may have finished off your basement and assess you for it, you will invite them back to correct it. Your way is far to simple.
Earl

Southington, CT

#17 Nov 25, 2008
This has been awesome. I only threw out the "just say no" thing to stir things up. Mission accomplished!
Jenni

Hartford, CT

#18 Nov 25, 2008
Earl wrote:
This has been awesome. I only threw out the "just say no" thing to stir things up. Mission accomplished!
Aw Earl. You're such a kidder. Very funny. Thanks for the laughs.
Zambo

United States

#19 Nov 25, 2008
Richard wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you don't expect an across-the-board decrease in real estate valuations to result in a lower property tax bill. It won't.
If the grand list (total value of property in town) is cut in half the mill rate will double, plus a percentage for the inevitable year-over-year spending increase.
Revaluations usually result in a big increase in the grand list which allows town government the opportunity to push large spending increases by sleeping taxpayers by selling them on the idea that the mill rate stayed the same or decreased slightly.
It is a lot like the old shell game. Just when you think you know which one is hiding the pea you take your eye off the other.
It's time to pay up. Our taxes in this state are way too little to pay for all the great services we get. Tolland in particular has wonderful services, which ones do you want to cut? If you can't afford a hefty tax increase get another job or move.
Ice Princess

Hamden, CT

#20 Nov 25, 2008
Zambo wrote:
<quoted text> It's time to pay up. Our taxes in this state are way too little to pay for all the great services we get. Tolland in particular has wonderful services, which ones do you want to cut? If you can't afford a hefty tax increase get another job or move.
I agree, leave, if you don't like our town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Well Do You Know Howes Property Management? Jan '18 Harry 1
Unfriendly Golf Course Condos Jan '18 Jim 1
News Lucian Wintrich arrested at UConn after fight Nov '17 storm warning 2
Review: Electric Blue Cafe (Apr '09) Jul '17 Frequent Patron 2
Storrs Jukebox (Jul '12) Jun '17 Norch 29
News Backyard Chickens: More Connecticut Residents R... (Jul '10) May '17 Anonymous 10
News Storrs Man Gets 9-Year Prison Term In Video Sto... (Jun '08) Mar '17 Ohplze 2

Willington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Willington Mortgages