Man Allegedly Shoots Girlfriend In Coventry

Full story: Hartford Courant

Police subdued the 41-year-old man with a Taser after persuading him to drop the gun and release the child in a parking lot behind the Bidwell Tavern, Coventry Police Chief Mark Palmer said.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Apr 15, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mess up

North Kingstown, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 15, 2008
 
If you think the family and kids are mess up before this, wait until DCF really ruins their lives. DCF=dont care about families.
ridiculous

Willimantic, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 15, 2008
 
Why dos every article, no matter what subject, turn into an attack on DCF?
My condolences to the family and friends of those involved, especially these 2 children.
Naugatuck

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 15, 2008
 
Of course, after the guy drops the weapon and releases the kid, the Cops taser him. Just have to use that taser. BS. Tackle him, cuff him. There was probably 50 cops and him. Overkill. But, you have to punish him for making you come out in the first place, right?
Linda

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 15, 2008
 
wtf - sounds like Smith was seeking fame and wanted the limelight.  Couldn't agree with you more.  Hope the victim makes it and can go on with her life with her children.  God bless them!
Dgds

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 15, 2008
 
Just another estrangement gone awry? Nothing says "I love you" like shooting your loved one. Unfortunately, there are too many others with this same mentality.

The location (near the lake?) is on Main Street in the village portion of Coventry.

I don't see the relevance in reporting what a variety of people were doing in or around the tavern. People usually do have reasons for being someplace. A sad situation that some interpretted as a personal slight to their special day. That's another problem out there, selfish snobs without a clue that they are just another human in the world and the world revolves with or without them. Maybe the reporter needed more color commentary for the article.

So sorry for the kids. When did they start withholding names to protect the children? I understand withholding the children's names, but the alleged perpetrator and victim adult's identity? Odd. We'll learn the names soon; after all, Coventry is still a small town in the grand scheme of things.
Penelope Principal

Winsted, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 15, 2008
 
Uh, "allegedly" shoots Amanda?

What's this, the Courant absurdly doing the "innocent until proven guilty" thing?

Good grief. Learn how to report, would you?
so florida cop

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 15, 2008
 
Naugatuck wrote:
Of course, after the guy drops the weapon and releases the kid, the Cops taser him. Just have to use that taser. BS. Tackle him, cuff him. There was probably 50 cops and him. Overkill. But, you have to punish him for making you come out in the first place, right?
Our policy says we use the taser before we goes hands on. This is so we do not get injured. They are worried about the expense of workers comp. I am not sure what the policies of your departments are up north. Call them and ask them if you want to know.
NOTE: I was not there so I don't know if they needed to taser him because he refused to get down on the ground or they did it because they had an itchy finger.
concerned

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 15, 2008
 
What is this world coming to. This is so terrible. Those kids are gonna have the life from hell while the father sits in jail getting 3 meals a day and a roof over his head and cable tv. This is so sad
X Enfielder

Longmeadow, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 15, 2008
 
HATER wrote:
Let's review, he shoots the baby's mother, then takes the baby and threatens to shoot himself. DCF should not waste one second getting this child away from these losers.
<quoted text>
What would make you say the mothers a loser. Because she's with a man that snapped and shot her? This can happen to anyone at any time. Bless this women and her children.
Coventry Citizen

Columbia, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 15, 2008
 
I don't suppose any of you were there to witness what actually happened so I don't think any of the comments were appropriate.

To Penelope:
"Allegedly" because the reporters did not witness anything.

In regard to comments made by Smith:
When you think your life is being threatened, I suppose your world would become very narrow all of a sudden. This poor woman probably just answered whatever questions the reporters asked her. She probably didn't actually know what had happened.
Moonbat Hunter

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 15, 2008
 
I wouldn't worry about the idiots here South Florida -- if they hadn't tased him Naugatuck would've been screaming police brutality that they had tackled him and used batons and why didn't they just use a taser.

Sounds like a good job by all involved.
Mary H

Ashford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 15, 2008
 
It sounds like the staff at the Bidwell deserve kudos for the way they handled this.
r u serious

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 15, 2008
 
ridiculous wrote:
Why dos every article, no matter what subject, turn into an attack on DCF?
My condolences to the family and friends of those involved, especially these 2 children.
Because the DCF always waits until something happens to the child and then it's too late
you know it

Storrs Mansfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 15, 2008
 
The Bidwell has the best wings around
Ghetto Gurl

Westport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 15, 2008
 
So where are all the racist comments now???

You people are so predictable...

smh
Penelope Principal

Winsted, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 15, 2008
 
OK, so reporters must preface EVERY SINGLE STATEMENT regarding something that they have not personally observed with 'allegedly'? There are no facts because they did not see them?
The moon is allegedly made of cheese.

Oh boy, are we in trouble.
Belinda

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 15, 2008
 
The man shown in the pictures being taken into custody must be the 'interfering with police' guy, because he looks very calm (not like he's been tasered) and way younger than 41.

It seems like this crap is happening more frequently with the economy tanking. People killing their loved ones, especially kids, seems like the most desperate (not to mention evil) act. The world is not ending, people. Economies do this once in awhile! We will all live through a number of economic downturns. It's all going to be OK! Oh, and if you do want to kill yourself, just kill YOURSELF! Your family will appreciate not being killed. While they'll be upset by your passing, they will one day pick up the pieces and move on. Just thought I'd put that out there for any future family killers reading this.

I hope the woman recovers completely. The good news is that, hopefully, her boyfriend will be behind bars for the rest of his miserable life and will not hurt her or her children again.

But we don't have a gun control problem in this country, do we? Nah. Any hothead can arm himself and snap, but at least we're protected in case Canada suddenly turns on us and attacks in the middle of the night!
taxpayer

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 15, 2008
 
I thought things like this only happens in Hartford.
Stop putting Hartford in Hell. Satan is everywhere.
Naugatuck

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Apr 15, 2008
 
Moonbat Hunter wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the idiots here South Florida -- if they hadn't tased him Naugatuck would've been screaming police brutality that they had tackled him and used batons and why didn't they just use a taser.
Sounds like a good job by all involved.
Your name suits you well. Shorten it to just Batty. You surrender, which is what he did, then the cops fire a couple of darts into him with high voltage applied. Now, off to the hospital to have them surgically removed. Makes me wonder why give up? You're going to the hopitsl anyway. It's an itchy trigger finger, Fla. More like a quick draw to see who gets him first. The smaller the town, the more cowboy they become.
Mark Kelsey

Juneau, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Apr 15, 2008
 
you know it wrote:
The Bidwell has the best wings around
I used to work at the Bidwell in the late 80s and early 90s. Great wings then, too. Glad to hear that's still the case. Sorry to hear about this incident, though.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Willington Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Willington Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Willington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Willington News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Willington
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••