Foster care falls short on basics

Foster care falls short on basics

There are 16 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Feb 6, 2008, titled Foster care falls short on basics. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

The Michigan Department of Human Services failed to follow its own policies and to meet basic standards for care of foster children, according to court-appointed experts who reviewed hundreds of case files.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

treasa veltkamp

Montague, MI

#1 Feb 6, 2008
is this happening all over michigan because my son is in a foster home and I am trying to get him back.
treasa veltkamp

Montague, MI

#2 Feb 6, 2008
my son was taking from me in july and my rights to him where taking from me jan 24-08 and he has been moved to from foster home to foster home and in the foster home that he is in i believe that he is getting hurt.the only reason my rights were taking from me was because my rights were taking from me 9 years ago to my other children.

thank-you
treasa veltkamp

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#3 Feb 6, 2008
As far back as I can remember the foster care system has let kids down. There are some, in fact many, excellent foster parents in the system who do an admirable job. However, it only takes a few bad apples to make it bad for some children. I know of a case where foster parents allowed a 15 year old girl in their care to date a 24 year old man. When she got pregnant, the onlything they could think of was to get her out of the foster home by emancipating her so she could marry the guy. I know of others who favored their children over any others, blaming anything that was done wrong in their household on the foster children. Needless to say, those children were really glad to get out of there and back with their family. But remember, these were only two cases, in two foster homes, so you can't say from that that all foster homes are bad. I also know of foster parents who were great. The problem was that the caseworkers were not doing their job.
I wish you luck in getting him back.

Since: Aug 07

Grand Rapids

#4 Feb 6, 2008
my post didn't show up... so here I go again...
Are you the person in the 2000 case in Kent County?

Grand Rapids

#5 Feb 7, 2008
Hello where did you go? Treasa?
Fancy Tailed Guppy

United States

#6 Feb 7, 2008
Gentle Taz wrote:
As far back as I can remember the foster care system has let kids down. There are some, in fact many, excellent foster parents in the system who do an admirable job. However, it only takes a few bad apples to make it bad for some children. I know of a case where foster parents allowed a 15 year old girl in their care to date a 24 year old man. When she got pregnant, the onlything they could think of was to get her out of the foster home by emancipating her so she could marry the guy. I know of others who favored their children over any others, blaming anything that was done wrong in their household on the foster children. Needless to say, those children were really glad to get out of there and back with their family. But remember, these were only two cases, in two foster homes, so you can't say from that that all foster homes are bad. I also know of foster parents who were great. The problem was that the caseworkers were not doing their job.I wish you luck in getting him back.
Are there any subjects you don't know about or do you just make up all this stuff as you go along?

“Taz say Hi”

Holland,MI

#7 Feb 7, 2008
Fancy Tailed Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Are there any subjects you don't know about or do you just make up all this stuff as you go along?
I have seen this.

Grand Rapids

#8 Feb 7, 2008
Gentle Taz wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen this.
Taz,
Some of us have been around long enough to have experienced a whole lot! I know when we were younger we thought the same things as this poster is.
I have students who tell me everyday... "how do you crowd all that stuff in your brain" ... "you are soooo smart, will I be that smart someday?" I tell them of course you will, just keep reading.

“Taz say Hi”

Holland,MI

#9 Feb 7, 2008
hmmmmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Taz,
Some of us have been around long enough to have experienced a whole lot! I know when we were younger we thought the same things as this poster is.
I have students who tell me everyday... "how do you crowd all that stuff in your brain" ... "you are soooo smart, will I be that smart someday?" I tell them of course you will, just keep reading.
And remember what you see, even if it doesn't directly affect you. Someday you may be in the same spot. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Grand Rapids

#10 Feb 7, 2008
That is for sure! Taz

Memory is a great gift. We should cherish it and work it out daily to keep it healthy.. They say those who use the brain cells for new information regularly stand a lesser chance of Alzheimer's disease.
but who am I

Lovington, NM

#11 Feb 7, 2008
When I was young (many years ago) a friend of mine was in foster care. I remember most of the homes being bad but, the worst was one of animal feces on the floor and bed. I went their to visit three days after Thanksgiving and he asked me if I would like some turkey that had been there since turkey day.
The dishes were still there from Thanksgiving day, the room was a Michigan basement with corded light and more less a couch as a bed.
It is to me sickening even back then as a kid, that there was no way they checked this place out.
Fancy Tailed Guppy

United States

#12 Feb 8, 2008
I think Hmmmmmmm & Gentle Taz should get married - both are waaaaaay to intelligent for the rest of us on this forum! 2 people with all this vast knowledge - their giant heads full of so much information "I remember" & "I saw it" give me a freaking break! Maybe you guys should start a SENIOR Giant Head Thread?

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#13 Feb 8, 2008
I think Hmmmmmmm & Gentle Taz should get married - both are waaaaaay to intelligent for the rest of us on this forum! 2 people with all this vast knowledge - their giant heads full of so much information "I remember" & "I saw it" give me a freaking break! Maybe you guys should start a SENIOR Giant Head Thread?
Their "giant heads" and "I remember"s are usually spot on, too. If you're going to sling mud at two very intelligent people, you need to know what you're talking about yourself.

Go read a newspaper.
but who am I

Lovington, NM

#14 Feb 8, 2008
Maybe you should start a Pin Head Thread.

“Taz say Hi”

Holland,MI

#15 Feb 8, 2008
TROLL
fm in btown

Detroit, MI

#16 Mar 9, 2008
as a foster mother I can tell you that we have extensive background checks and inspections of our home. No member of a family may have a bedroom in the basement, unless it has large windows, not standard basement windows. I will allow that they only follow up annually on the conditions at your home, unless you move, but that's standard in all states. It's a crappy system, but I hasten to guess that 95% of foster homes are still substantially better than the homes from which the children were removed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Williamston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gary Kirby Jul 16 James 1
Dansville.The Burning Bed (Sep '08) Jun '16 jsmith 17
News Sex-ed appointment riles Okemos parents (Nov '06) Mar '16 Alison 4
Wooden nickel saloon (Oct '15) Oct '15 Dls 1
News Mugg & Bopps stores seized (Sep '08) Oct '15 Cop 9
Corrupt Cops in Perry (Oct '07) Aug '15 Maddog105 33
News Glass Pipes and Head Shops by Lansing Michigan (Jul '09) Jul '15 D man 28

Williamston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance