Pa. hospital system won't hire smokers

Pa. hospital system won't hire smokers

There are 54 comments on the 6 ABC story from Nov 21, 2009, titled Pa. hospital system won't hire smokers. In it, 6 ABC reports that:

Prospective employees at a central Pennsylvania hospital chain will now be tested for nicotine when they apply for jobs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 6 ABC.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
PreachingToTheGa rbage

Marion, OH

#1 Nov 21, 2009
They should go all the way and say they are not going to treat smokers either.!
But it is good news for a smoker, they wont have to worry about the staff stilling there smokes while they are sleeping.
Sez Who

Oxford, OH

#2 Nov 21, 2009
A lot of folks on the smoking forums say it not smoking they are interested in, but preserving "owner's rights." That's why they'll all be supporting the right of Susquehanna Health Systems to not hire smokers.
History Buff

Cincinnati, OH

#3 Nov 21, 2009
Nicotine is in Potato, Tomato, Cauliflower, Chili's, Egg Plant, Green Pepper and other foods.

Are they trying to starve people or is that hospital really, really stupid and a paid pawn of the RWJF?

Nicotine in patches is safer? Nope - but it's made by the pharmaceuticals that fund the RWJF which pays with grants the no-smoke hype, research (to fit their agenda) and bans.

What a GIANT MARKETING SCAM !!!
Tomorrow

Van Wert, OH

#4 Nov 22, 2009
History Buff wrote:
Nicotine is in Potato, Tomato, Cauliflower, Chili's, Egg Plant, Green Pepper and other foods.
Are they trying to starve people or is that hospital really, really stupid and a paid pawn of the RWJF?
Nicotine in patches is safer? Nope - but it's made by the pharmaceuticals that fund the RWJF which pays with grants the no-smoke hype, research (to fit their agenda) and bans.
What a GIANT MARKETING SCAM !!!
Yes, see how much money the hospital got from RWJF to put this policy in place. Very interesting, I have followed the money on other hospitals and they all got grants from RWJF.
Money talks and bullshit walks.
Sez Who

Oxford, OH

#6 Nov 22, 2009
History Buff wrote:
Nicotine is in Potato, Tomato, Cauliflower, Chili's, Egg Plant, Green Pepper and other foods.
Are they trying to starve people or is that hospital really, really stupid and a paid pawn of the RWJF?
Using a cotinine test they can tell the difference between a primary smoker and their non-smoking spouse. Though both will have metabolized nicotine in their systems, the non-smoking spouse will have much less.

The vegetables you mention have such small amounts of nicotine that they would not even register on the cotinine test.

Do you have any evidence that this hospital is connected to RWJF, or did you just make that up?
Tomorrow

Van Wert, OH

#7 Nov 22, 2009
Sez Who wrote:
<quoted text>
Using a cotinine test they can tell the difference between a primary smoker and their non-smoking spouse. Though both will have metabolized nicotine in their systems, the non-smoking spouse will have much less.
The vegetables you mention have such small amounts of nicotine that they would not even register on the cotinine test.
Do you have any evidence that this hospital is connected to RWJF, or did you just make that up?
Like I said I haven't researched this hospital as it is in Pa. I really don't care.
But yes, I have some of the ones in Ohio, and yes, they did receive grants.
It's on the grant tab on the RWJF site. It might take a while to find it, but I'm sure it's there.
That's what they do, they pay places such as these hospital's to put these policies in place. We all know how the hospitals love money.
Freedom

Wyoming, MI

#8 Nov 22, 2009
Sez Who wrote:
A lot of folks on the smoking forums say it not smoking they are interested in, but preserving "owner's rights." That's why they'll all be supporting the right of Susquehanna Health Systems to not hire smokers.
Sure...and you are all for the right for the business owner to chose then correct....or do you actually have a set of HUGE double standards?

Hhhhmmmm.

I would also claim they have a right not to hire meat eaters...although passing laws demanding they do so is a completely different animal...correct?

So...are you claiming laws are not needed to force your will everywhere?

If the smokers could pool their resources to build a hospital that allows smoking...would you respect their right to do so...or would you be one of those who lacks respect for others property by demanding laws that do not allow for such?
Sez Who

Oxford, OH

#9 Nov 22, 2009
I just noticed this post of your from another thread:

http://www.topix.com/forum/health/smoking/TFR...
History Buff wrote:
<quoted text>
You should open your own business and start your own rules. I should mention that in the past in Ohio, no law ever stated that that smoking must be allowed. It was always owners choice...
So, since you favor "owner's choice", do you support the right of this hospital owner to not hire smokers?
Freedom

Wyoming, MI

#10 Nov 22, 2009
Sez Who wrote:
Do you have any evidence that this hospital is connected to RWJF, or did you just make that up?
Since the RWJF is indeed into funding all kind of projects that push their agenda it is quite possible... although finding the proof would be like fishing for a needle in a haystack.

Do you deny it is not only possible...but likely that such funding exists?

A quick google search did find this within just a few minutes...

http://www.localfundingpartnerships.org/html/...

Project HEALTH: Harnessing Education, Advocacy & Leadership for Transgender Health
San Francisco, CA
Project HEALTH

*$450,000 to Lyon-Martin Health Services
* Funding Partners: The California Endowment and Tides Foundation, Cisco Foundation

In partnership with the Transgender Law Center, a neighborhood clinic with well-established services for transgender people will grow a network of health professionals who provide culturally sensitive and medically competent care, empower community representatives to advocate for better health care and help ensure the implementation of new state policy that guarantees public and private coverage for transgender individuals.

The project will establish a formal clinical rotation in transgender health for medical students and offer training for staff at selected clinics and for physician assistant and nursing students.
----------

Do you deny the fact that the RWJF has spent millions and millions pushing your beloved smoking bans as well as on many other completely left wing politically motivated social movements?
PreachingToTheGa rbage

Marion, OH

#11 Nov 22, 2009
Sez Who wrote:
I just noticed this post of your from another thread:
http://www.topix.com/forum/health/smoking/TFR...
<quoted text>
So, since you favor "owner's choice", do you support the right of this hospital owner to not hire smokers?
I do.! 50% of the non smoker doctors graduated in the lower half of there class.

So the Smoking Doctors who graduated in the upper half of the class will be going to the Hosipitals I got too.

Good luck on your less then good Doctors has that hospital.!

“Just Say No to Smoking Bans”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#12 Nov 22, 2009
Sez Who wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any evidence that this hospital is connected to RWJF, or did you just make that up?
Central Susquehanna Valley Wellness Trails Partnership
The Pennsylvania Environmental Council, Northeast Regional Office, in partnership with the National Park Service created the Wyoming Valley Wellness Trails Partnership in Luzerne County. This new partnership of health care organizations and the local trails community was formed to promote physical activity through the use of the developing trail system in the Wyoming Valley. Since the inception of the Partnership, the partnership's mission has expanded to include promotion of active living (per guidance from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation).

http://www.pecpa.org/node/228

Susquehanna University Selinsgrove
Estimating the impact of alternate warning labels on cigarette demand in the United States

$99,999
(1 year)
ID 65166
http://www.rwjf.org/files/publications/annual...

http://www.google.com/search...

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#13 Nov 22, 2009
Smokers have kids to keep a roof over their heads, heat and food on the table to feed the kids and they won't hire them just because they smoke, Pa hospital systems must really hate kids

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#14 Nov 22, 2009
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
Central Susquehanna Valley Wellness Trails Partnership
The Pennsylvania Environmental Council, Northeast Regional Office, in partnership with the National Park Service created the Wyoming Valley Wellness Trails Partnership in Luzerne County. This new partnership of health care organizations and the local trails community was formed to promote physical activity through the use of the developing trail system in the Wyoming Valley. Since the inception of the Partnership, the partnership's mission has expanded to include promotion of active living (per guidance from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation).
http://www.pecpa.org/node/228
Susquehanna University Selinsgrove
Estimating the impact of alternate warning labels on cigarette demand in the United States
$99,999
(1 year)
ID 65166
http://www.rwjf.org/files/publications/annual...
http://www.google.com/search...
Wonder how much profit both the hospitals and J&J makes for each patch slapped on a patient? Its a win win for them

“Just Say No to Smoking Bans”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#15 Nov 22, 2009
Sez Who wrote:
A lot of folks on the smoking forums say it not smoking they are interested in, but preserving "owner's rights." That's why they'll all be supporting the right of Susquehanna Health Systems to not hire smokers.
Well, discrimination against any group for lifestyle choices, including smoking, is illegal in 30 states. Unfortunately, for the people of PA who may sometime have to be treated by doctors and nurses hired not for their capabilities but rather for their smoking status, PA is not one of these 30 states. The hospital is also not a private business but rather a public one supported by taxpayers, especially smokers. My advice is to get out of PA if you have to go to this hospital, for you may well become one of the dire statistics of the fifth leading cause of death: medical error. VA is one of the states with laws against discrimination against smokers. If the hospital was private like bars and restaurants who gain no money from tax dollars, then they would have more of a case. I suggest that smoking allowed bars hire only smokers, and no smoking bars hire only non-smokers to avoid contamination from each other.
just candid

AOL

#16 Nov 22, 2009
I believe one good reason to not hire smokers is because smokers carry in third hand smoke and smell, which may harm ill people. I know many Drs. offices don't want people who smoke working there, not even as clerks.
PreachingToTheGa rbage

Marion, OH

#17 Nov 22, 2009
just candid wrote:
I believe one good reason to not hire smokers is because smokers carry in third hand smoke and smell, which may harm ill people. I know many Drs. offices don't want people who smoke working there, not even as clerks.
I guess that explains why most of them are BIG FAT SLOBS. Makes sense to me now.!
Have you seen how many really BIG FAT SLOBS work at the hospitals these days ! OMG.!!
Maybe they should also enforce the " Your to FAT rule too " Oh wait thats next isnt it.?

“Just Say No to Smoking Bans”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#18 Nov 22, 2009
just candid wrote:
I believe one good reason to not hire smokers is because smokers carry in third hand smoke and smell, which may harm ill people. I know many Drs. offices don't want people who smoke working there, not even as clerks.
My doctor's office has a smoking area with chairs and shelter for their workers who smoke.
just candid

AOL

#19 Nov 22, 2009
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
My doctor's office has a smoking area with chairs and shelter for their workers who smoke.
I've been told many Drs. used to smoke in their office. They must have all died out.

“Just Say No to Smoking Bans”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#20 Nov 22, 2009
just candid wrote:
<quoted text> I've been told many Drs. used to smoke in their office. They must have all died out.
Nope, my former doctor was a smoker. When I would go for an appointment, he would say, "Are you still smoking?" I would answer yes, and he would say, "Then give me one. I ran out." He retired from private practice in 1990, but then he became the county coroner. At 84, he still holds that job.
Sez Who

Oxford, OH

#21 Nov 22, 2009
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, discrimination against any group for lifestyle choices, including smoking, is illegal in 30 states.
Since such laws affect "owner's rights", I'm sure you don't support them --- just as you reject the smoking ban law because it interferes with owner's rights.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Williamsport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
corruption by pa state police at f troop in mon... (Feb '10) Apr 14 Help 27
News A golden discovery: Philadelphia Butter Cake : ... (Mar '07) Mar '16 Gail Mattheisz 68
vincent e martz is egor Mar '16 sean van young 1
J.K. Rishel Furniture Company (Aug '07) Feb '16 Garry parigan 52
News Theater Marquee Drums Up Controversy in Muncy Jan '16 Richard Allen 1
Looking for any Family of the late Earl Shore a... Jan '16 Allan 1
black Dec '15 randy 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Williamsport Mortgages