Circuit Judge Michael Thornsbury is accuse of engaging in a criminal conspiracy
Most Popular Stories
Flight recorders found in deadly UPS plane crash
4 arrested in Cedar Grove meth bust
Suspected burglar held by homeowner until authorities arrived on scene
Former teacher charged with battery, accused of slapping a student
W.Va. coal contractor charged in fraud scheme

MINGO COUNTY, WV -
Mingo County Circuit Judge Michael Thornsbury turned himself in to federal authorities on Thursday following an indictment.

The indictment says Thornsbury had an extramarital relationship with his secretary and conspired to plant illegal drugs on her husband's pickup, have him arrested for thefts he did not commit, commander a state grand jury to oppress the husband and his family.

After an incident in which the husband was the victim of an assault, Thornsbury arranged for the husband, rather than the perpetrator, to receive "an exceptionally harsh sentence," according to the indictment.

Neither the husband nor the secretary are identified by name in the indictment. They are identified only as R.W. and K.W., respectively.

The federal indictment was unsealed today.
johnson

Inez, KY

#3 Aug 15, 2013
WHOO HOO THIS HAS BEEN ALONG TIME COMING.
Cant belive This

Tempe, AZ

#4 Aug 15, 2013
How many Innocent people are in prison because of this man and others in (Team Mingo)and the Deputy's? Planting drugs !!! Hope that piece of p***y is worth 20 years Judge.

This is far from over!

LOL ... No wonder the Judge hated Topix.
Former Resident

Fullerton, CA

#5 Aug 15, 2013
Cant belive This wrote:
How many Innocent people are in prison because of this man and others in (Team Mingo)and the Deputy's? Planting drugs !!! Hope that piece of p***y is worth 20 years Judge.
This is far from over!
I am wondering the same thing. I say many innoncent people have been locked up and framed in Mingo County. Every bust that the Deputy's know about ... they let it out.
The State Police/FBI have a long road of Investagation ahead of them in clearing a lot of innocent people because of (Team Mingo).
Heard they are looking at some Deputy's too!
I also hope Sparks mom and him are the next. I've heard about her saying she tells the Troopers what to do and where to NOT patrol. She says if someone calls them about drug dealing, the Troopers tell her who it was. Maybe she is the younger/newer ones. I also heard about her bringing a family member pills and they had a recorder in the shelf.
I hope the whole Courthouse is cleared.
Wondering

Monongahela, PA

#6 Aug 15, 2013
Who are KW Aand RW?
Mingo girl

Scott Depot, WV

#7 Aug 15, 2013
EYEWITNESS LOCAL NEWS
from Eyewitness News Online
B R E A K I N G N E W S !
U.S. Attorney Says State Supreme Court Will Decide Whether Mingo Judge Will Step Down
Also Contributing: Associated Press, Kennie Bass
Reported: Aug. 15, 2013 1:44 PM
Charleston , Kanawha County , West Virginia
U.S. Attorney Booth Goodwin said it is not clear whether Mingo County Circuit Judge Michael Thornsbury, charged with abusing his power, will resume his role as a judge, and that will be a matter for the state Supreme Court to decide.
Thornsbury was charged with abusing his power and commandeering a grand jury in a failed attempt to frame a romantic rival for crimes.
Authorities will not seek the judge's detention until his next hearing. Prosecutors said his illegal actions spanned from 2008 to 2012.
Goodwin said that Thornsbury and Mingo Commissioner Dave Baisden, charged Thursday in a separate case, are the only ones to be charged in the indictments, He said, however, that the investigation in Mingo County continues and asked anyone with information to come forward.
Mingo County Circuit Court Judge Michael Thornsbury has been charged with abusing his power and commandeering a grand jury in a failed attempt to frame a romantic rival for crimes.
Thornsbury is charged with conspiracy against a person's rights in a federal indictment unsealed Thursday.
Prosecutors say Thornsbury was having an affair with his secretary, identified in the indictment as K.W.,when she tried to end it. He tried to frame her husband, identified in the indictment as R.W., to eliminate the competition.
The conspiracy included an attempt to plant drugs on R.W. and to get a trooper to file a false larceny complaint. The indictment said after the secretary ended the relationship, Thornsbury instructed a co-conspirator to plant illegal drugs underneath R.W.'s vehicle and then arranged for police to stop R.W. and search for drugs. The co-conspirator tasked with planting the drugs backed out of the plan at the last minute, thwarting Thornsbury's scheme, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office.
Meanwhile, the news release said the judge tried a different approach. R.W. worked at a coal preparation plant, where newly mined coal was processed before shipping. One of the plant's functions was to remove scrap metal that had fallen into the coal during mining. Thornsbury learned that R.W.'s supervisors had given him permission to salvage scrap items, including drill bits, that were found amid coal at the plant, which were simply discarded if R.W. did not collect them. Thornsbury secretly instructed a state trooper to file a criminal complaint that falsely alleged R.W. was stealing the scrap material from his employer. The trooper resisted, telling Thornsbury that R.W. was allowed to salvage the scrap, but ultimately yielded to Thornsbury's demands, filing a a false criminal complaint that led to R.W.'s arrest for grand larceny in December.
The news release said the judge continued his campaign against R.W. by attempting to influence a grand jury in January 2009. The judge allegedly selected Jarrod Fletcher, Mingo County's director of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, with whom Thornsbury co-owned a real estate business and wine shop, as the foreperson of the new grand jury. Later, the judge created a set of purported grand jury subpoenas that ordered various local companies, including R.W.'s employer, to surrender private documents concerning R.W. He had Fletcher sign these purported subpoenas and send them out in the name of the grand jury, the release said.
The release said Thornsbury planned to ultimately use the grand jury to charge R.W. criminally. In March 2009, one of the recipients of Thornsbury’s so-called subpoenas, identified in the indictment as “DBC Inc,,” asked for more time to respond. Thornsbury entered a court order denying that request,
MORE NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS
Mingo girl

Scott Depot, WV

#8 Aug 15, 2013
continued
Charleston , Kanawha County , West Virginia
U.S. Attorney Booth Goodwin said it is not clear whether Mingo County Circuit Judge Michael Thornsbury, charged with abusing his power, will resume his role as a judge, and that will be a matter for the state Supreme Court to decide.
Thornsbury was charged with abusing his power and commandeering a grand jury in a failed attempt to frame a romantic rival for crimes.
Authorities will not seek the judge's detention until his next hearing. Prosecutors said his illegal actions spanned from 2008 to 2012.
Goodwin said that Thornsbury and Mingo Commissioner Dave Baisden, charged Thursday in a separate case, are the only ones to be charged in the indictments, He said, however, that the investigation in Mingo County continues and asked anyone with information to come forward.
Mingo County Circuit Court Judge Michael Thornsbury has been charged with abusing his power and commandeering a grand jury in a failed attempt to frame a romantic rival for crimes.
Thornsbury is charged with conspiracy against a person's rights in a federal indictment unsealed Thursday.
Prosecutors say Thornsbury was having an affair with his secretary, identified in the indictment as K.W.,when she tried to end it. He tried to frame her husband, identified in the indictment as R.W., to eliminate the competition.
The conspiracy included an attempt to plant drugs on R.W. and to get a trooper to file a false larceny complaint. The indictment said after the secretary ended the relationship, Thornsbury instructed a co-conspirator to plant illegal drugs underneath R.W.'s vehicle and then arranged for police to stop R.W. and search for drugs. The co-conspirator tasked with planting the drugs backed out of the plan at the last minute, thwarting Thornsbury's scheme, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office.
Meanwhile, the news release said the judge tried a different approach. R.W. worked at a coal preparation plant, where newly mined coal was processed before shipping. One of the plant's functions was to remove scrap metal that had fallen into the coal during mining. Thornsbury learned that R.W.'s supervisors had given him permission to salvage scrap items, including drill bits, that were found amid coal at the plant, which were simply discarded if R.W. did not collect them. Thornsbury secretly instructed a state trooper to file a criminal complaint that falsely alleged R.W. was stealing the scrap material from his employer. The trooper resisted, telling Thornsbury that R.W. was allowed to salvage the scrap, but ultimately yielded to Thornsbury's demands, filing a a false criminal complaint that led to R.W.'s arrest for grand larceny in December.
The news release said the judge continued his campaign against R.W. by attempting to influence a grand jury in January 2009. The judge allegedly selected Jarrod Fletcher, Mingo County's director of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, with whom Thornsbury co-owned a real estate business and wine shop, as the foreperson of the new grand jury. Later, the judge created a set of purported grand jury subpoenas that ordered various local companies, including R.W.'s employer, to surrender private documents concerning R.W. He had Fletcher sign these purported subpoenas and send them out in the name of the grand jury, the release said.
The release said Thornsbury planned to ultimately use the grand jury to charge R.W. criminally. In March 2009, one of the recipients of Thornsbury’s so-called subpoenas, identified in the indictment as “DBC Inc,,” asked for more time to respond.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Mingo girl

Scott Depot, WV

#9 Aug 15, 2013
continued
The release said Thornsbury planned to ultimately use the grand jury to charge R.W. criminally. In March 2009, one of the recipients of Thornsbury’s so-called subpoenas, identified in the indictment as “DBC Inc,,” asked for more time to respond. Thornsbury entered a court order denying that request, without disclosing that he himself had ghostwritten the subpoena or that he was disqualified from any participation in the criminal case against R.W.

Most of the companies targeted by Thornsbury’s subpoenas handed over the documents demanded, believing that the subpoenas were legitimate. DBC Inc., however, waged a legal battle against the subpoena it received and eventually discovered the deep business ties between Thornsbury and Fletcher. When DBC Inc., publicly revealed those ties in a court filing, Thornsbury was forced to abandon his plan to use the grand jury against R.W.

Several years later, in 2012, R.W. was involved in an argument outside a convenience store with two other men. One of the men took a swing at R.W., and the other one drew a gun. The police were called, and the two other men were charged with assault.

Nearly a month after the altercation, however, the charges against the two other men were dismissed and R.W. was charged with assault and battery. Thornsbury, through a messenger, told the county prosecutor to ensure that R.W. received a sentence of six months’ confinement, an extraordinarily harsh punishment, even if R.W. had been guilty, the release said. Prosecutors in turn offered R.W. a plea agreement that would have confined him for six months. R.W. refused it, and on the eve of trial, the prosecutor dismissed the case, stating that after reviewing the evidence against R.W., he believed the prosecution was not in the interest of justice.

The indictment charges Thornsbury with conspiring to violate R.W.’s right against unreasonable arrest, guaranteed by the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and his right not to be deprived of his liberty without due process of law, guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment. The indictment also charges that Thornsbury conspired against the companies targeted by the purported grand jury subpoena, specifically, against their Fourteenth Amendment right not to be deprived of their property without due process of law.

Thornsbury, 57, has served as Mingo County’s sole circuit judge since 1997.

Earlier Thursday, County Commissioner Dave Baisden was arrested and charged in an unrelated indictment with misusing his public office. Prosecutors said he tried to extort a Williamson tire dealer, terminating a contract when it refused to cooperate.
funny

Columbus, OH

#10 Aug 15, 2013
Well its about time !! Now if only the other scum of Mingo Co. would get caught up in the crooked stuff they do it might become a decent place to live. I mean it really dose seem like that certain people do live by a different set of rules when it comes to the court house . Mingo Co. is all about who you know and how much money you are willing to spend .. That place is so crooked I mean there are more crooks in the court house then whats on the streets !!! And that is a fact !!!!
1 post removed
Finch

Matewan, WV

#12 Aug 15, 2013
... Not clear as to whether he will resume his role as judge!?... Really!? Put that P.O.S back on the bench?! If that happens, then we may as well just scrap our legal system altogether!
Unbelievable

Gilbert, WV

#13 Aug 15, 2013
This pos should not sit in judgement of ANYONE

He SHOULD lose his bar license

He has no moral authority to sit on the bench

This is horrible.
Back In The NY Groove

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Aug 15, 2013
I wonder if Jarrod and Michael are next? Jarrod runs with the Staties, then tells every thing they are doing.
Back In The NY Groove

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Aug 15, 2013
Finch wrote:
... Not clear as to whether he will resume his role as judge!?... Really!? Put that P.O.S back on the bench?! If that happens, then we may as well just scrap our legal system altogether!
I wish people would storm that Courthouse with black hoods on and take it back (MY OPINION). Let Team Mingo know whos boss. I wish it happens. No law against wishing, boys!

Who did Justin marcum give $20.00 to at Nolan to vote?...:) I know! Plus they are more. Him and his dad paid people. I know one for sure..:)

Tick Tock boys ... more to come
I SAY

New York, NY

#16 Aug 15, 2013
Scales of Justice

Gilbert, WV

#17 Aug 15, 2013
Amazing,and funny looks like Team Mingo is starting to strike out! Wonder who's next.Jarod Fletcher should have been charged with Grand Jury tampering as well as everyone involved. I see the wheels of justice starting to turn now,Shame our County has to always be in the Political Spotlight.What about all the Delinquent Land tax sales that were dealt dirty under the table,poor people being evicted from homes.Dirty Deeds done dirt cheap,false bid proposals, hummmm wonder who won those.All the dirty tactics come back to the same group of people.A Team of people linning their pockets with poor folks gold.Shame on you.How many innocent men and women have been set up and send to prison under false pretense.Maybe a full investigation is in order.I hope for our Counties sake this comes to an end.

“Come with me if u wana live.”

Since: Oct 10

Matewan WV

#18 Aug 15, 2013
And you wonder why I don't get on the topix here. Ya'lls is to good.
1 post removed
simon says

Charleston, WV

#20 Aug 15, 2013
Cant belive This wrote:
This is far from over!
there going back 5yrs on casses some should be in jail they might have a retrail on alot of ppl' the lady who rights down what he says ' was friging him she messed up alot of trils there rechecking them' alot more will go to jail that should have been' there already checking all the court house offices hehe book em dano
AGREE

Lansing, MI

#21 Aug 15, 2013
simon says wrote:
<quoted text>there going back 5yrs on casses some should be in jail they might have a retrail on alot of ppl' the lady who rights down what he says ' was friging him she messed up alot of trils there rechecking them' alot more will go to jail that should have been' there already checking all the court house offices hehe book em dano
Yeppers, and think of the lawsuits! Mingo County will be broke. Good riddance!
Allen Y

San Diego, CA

#22 Aug 15, 2013
Scales of Justice wrote:
Amazing,and funny looks like Team Mingo is starting to strike out! Wonder who's next.Jarod Fletcher should have been charged with Grand Jury tampering as well as everyone involved. I see the wheels of justice starting to turn now,Shame our County has to always be in the Political Spotlight.What about all the Delinquent Land tax sales that were dealt dirty under the table,poor people being evicted from homes.Dirty Deeds done dirt cheap,false bid proposals, hummmm wonder who won those.All the dirty tactics come back to the same group of people.A Team of people linning their pockets with poor folks gold.Shame on you.How many innocent men and women have been set up and send to prison under false pretense.Maybe a full investigation is in order.I hope for our Counties sake this comes to an end.
That's what i said ... "how many innocent people are in jail because of Mingo Politics?"
Jarrod WILL be next. He might not think so, but they will show up and cuff him on day.
If i lived there, i wouldn't pull over for no damn cop. Dirty young punks. They're puppets on team Mingo's strings. Don't have the balls to stand up to them. State Police is a sham also.
I hope they all choke.
agree

Hindman, KY

#23 Aug 15, 2013
johnson wrote:
WHOO HOO THIS HAS BEEN ALONG TIME COMING.
what will the howards do now? lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Williamson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is getting divorced? suddenly single! (Aug '14) 5 hr Curious 55
News Parking concerns in the City 13 hr I Wonder 18
God Created Adam and Eve Not Adam and Steve. 14 hr -zaphod- 234
Amy Chapman Thu always be her sid... 22
Robbie Evans Thu DSDinKy 3
Review: Duba Wrecker & Service Center Wed Disbelief 11
Prommersburger Mar 25 DSDinKy 5
Williamson Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web