Another Massey Mines With History of ...
First Prev
of 36
Next Last
Cookie Parker

Rockford, IL

#705 May 15, 2010
Hello wrote:
I think the reason for starting this thread was to bring attention to the fact that Massey has violated rules and regulations for years. Many miners have been killed, no justice or apologies were sent to the families of miners who were killed, alone. The only reason families were offered 3 million dollars is because 29 miners were killed this time. It went federal. Kind of hard to turn their head for 29 families. How can you put a price tag on those miners' heads. We all know how important the coal industry is for this area, but their is a right way and a wrong way to mine coal. Are we that uneducated and ignorant that we can't see it is not us, or our community, or even our state that gets rich from coal mines? I agree with her statements. I am the wife of a coal miner, daughter of a coal miner, grand-daughter of a coal miner. I pay attention to what my family has told me in regards to the mines. I am also one of many women who work in the health care industry. Where are the big wigs when these 40-50 year old men are coughing up soot, yet being denied black lung? We all need to come together, and stand together. The coal mine owners, and those who profit from our men going underground rely on us being silent. It's time we stop accepting pay offs. A hollow beside the delbarton mines had 8 people within 2 miles that had cancer, at the same time. Look up selenium....look up the other chemical remains of "washing the coal". They do not want us to know or learn. Massey believes miners are expendable. Massey believes the people in the community are expendable. Coal Mining is a high paying job, but do we realize how much money is made that goes out of this state? When is it going to be enough?
Hopefully, this time.

“Be the change you want to see ”

Since: Mar 10

Red Jacket and now Meador

#706 May 15, 2010
Hi Cookie,

I agree with what you said. My dad went in the mines when he was 13 as a pony boy that lead the mule and loaded carts out of the mine. He had black lung and started drawing benefits before Reagan got in and then he nade things very difficult. My dad had to have those painful blood gas tests all the time to prove he still deserved black lung benefits, as if it was going to get better. My husband worked in the coal mine for thirty years. We also worry about the poison'n from MTR valley fills and coal sludge injections.
Our miners deserve more: The coal operators and their foremam, too often put the miners safety behind production; some inspectors allow safety violations; and the law makers care for the stock holders than they do for miners safety. It's pass time for them to care about our miners.
Wilmai Cookie,
Cookie Parker

Rockford, IL

#707 May 16, 2010
wilmaleesteele wrote:
Hi Cookie,
I agree with what you said. My dad went in the mines when he was 13 as a pony boy that lead the mule and loaded carts out of the mine. He had black lung and started drawing benefits before Reagan got in and then he nade things very difficult. My dad had to have those painful blood gas tests all the time to prove he still deserved black lung benefits, as if it was going to get better. My husband worked in the coal mine for thirty years. We also worry about the poison'n from MTR valley fills and coal sludge injections.
Our miners deserve more: The coal operators and their foremam, too often put the miners safety behind production; some inspectors allow safety violations; and the law makers care for the stock holders than they do for miners safety. It's pass time for them to care about our miners.
Wilmai Cookie,
I am so sorry to hear that about your father. How anyone can support the abuse of American workers is beyond my comprehension. Why would anyone support the republican party which has proven for over 40 years to want the rich to get richer by killing workers is beyond my understanding.

I hope miners all over WV get their just rewards in seeing Blankenship get convicted of negligent homicide.
nemesis

United States

#708 May 16, 2010
29 cases of negligent homicide=99 years in my book.

#709 May 16, 2010
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-biggers/la...

Cookie, I think you would like this article by Jeff Biggers. He is a wonderful Appalachian writer.
He mention my husband Terry, My friend Eric, and the video of the two Massey Mine Guards was filmrd at my house.
I think you will like it.
Wilma
Cookie Parker

Rockford, IL

#710 May 16, 2010
"Heroic UMWA coal miner Terry Steele understands the importance of Blair Mountain, and the shared fate of coalfield residents. Yesterday, he wrote:

"What the UMWA had better realize is that some of its strongest union men are fighting with the environmentalists against MTR. These miners, like this writer, have lived and worked all their lives in W.Va. We have watched the deep mines close; MTR mines take our jobs, our land and our union. More recently, we watched the muddy flood waters pour off these sites, as it took roads and homes. Just a few MTR mines chained the union to the real enemy.

There are only two sides to this issue. On the right is Don standing at Logan, wrapped in the pretense of American freedom, with his bought judges, DEP agents and many misled souls. Don stands with promises of jobs and security. In one hand, is a new mining permit, and in the other is dynamite. In his heart and mind is power to put down the UMWA, the environmentalist, and to mine coal his way: nonunion, unregulated, any way he wants!"

Updated: "Despite the rally's name, it is not friendly to America to cling to an industry that keeps Appalachia in a stranglehold of economic and environmental impoverishment by permanently polluting water supplies, blocking green energy development and economic diversification, and contributing to global climate change. Coal corporations are making millions of dollars off destroying the mountains, and only pollution and poverty are trickling down to residents," said Tierra Curry, a native of Eastern Kentucky and biologist at the Center for Biological Diversity.

In truth, despite Massey's anti-environmental rants and climate-change-denying manifestos, more jobs have been lost or subjected to the whims of the volatile energy market, super mechanization, including the often overlooked bane of longwall mining in the northern panhandle, and mountaintop removal than any environmental regulations.

Two brave security guards hired last week at a Massey Energy mountaintop removal site understand this reality. In the tradition of courageous Blair Mountain war veterans and Appalachian natives, Navy veteran Chris Carey and Patrick Curry walked off the Massey site last week after being offended by the brutal harassment and lawlessness of Massey thugs against two nonviolent tree-sitters, who sought to protect local coalfield residents from reckless blasting, fly rock, silica dust and mountain devastation. "

Wow...I did like this...and it hurts to see this happen.
care

Charlotte, NC

#711 May 22, 2010
wilmaleesteele wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ jeff-biggers/labor-day-of-infa my-who-k_b_278741.html
Cookie, I think you would like this article by Jeff Biggers. He is a wonderful Appalachian writer.
He mention my husband Terry, My friend Eric, and the video of the two Massey Mine Guards was filmrd at my house.
I think you will like it.
Wilma
i really enjoyed reading your link, thank you

#712 May 22, 2010
care wrote:
<quoted text>i really enjoyed reading your link, thank you
Thank You Care! I am on facebook with lots od anti-MTR friends who are also pro union.
Just type in wilma lee steele
tragic

Elkview, WV

#713 May 23, 2010
another massey miner has died this accident was at ruby energy kielty in mingo county wv the miner was just about ready to retire soon our prayers are with the family

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 36
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Williamson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seperation of church and state 5 hr Down with ACA 29
FBI Back at the courthouse over school 5 hr Good question 13
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 5 hr Dazed 4,397
Republicans have 4 convicted criminals running ... 6 hr voter 3
Richard Wright (Mar '17) 9 hr Richard Wright 69
Still have feelings for an ex after divorce ..... (Feb '11) 12 hr captainsavin 51
Mingo Central versus Tug Valley 14 hr Frankie 11

Williamson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Williamson Mortgages