Memories of 77 Flood

“wva wolfman runs wild again”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#41 Apr 17, 2010
wilmaleesteele wrote:
<quoted text>
I seldom stay on here much, but that's all I've done lately.
I enjoyed hearing your story - it's the first time I remember hearing about people on the roof at the store.
yeah my dad was on that roof, they had pictures of the people on there, in the williamson daily news, they had pics of all the flooding

“Be the change you want to see ”

Since: Mar 10

Red Jacket and now Meador

#42 Apr 17, 2010
sugar wrote:
i can tell you something good that came out of it for me.we were a military family then,and my son was 6 mos. old with cholic.the pediatrician had him on the last formula[not previously tried]and the only place i could find it was Hurleys.we lived in florida but was here.after the flood i ran out of formula and on the 2nd day made it to Lenore where they were feeding people.they gave me 2%milk for him.END OF MY SLEEPLESS DAYS AND NIGHTS!got back to florida and his dr. was amazed!!!!just gave me vitamins for the 2%.so I WILL NEVER FORGET
That was a good story.

#43 Apr 18, 2010
live what ya say wrote:
i remember driving into williamson and having to turn around because the water was raising so fast, it was where duba's is now
i slept in the car for 4 nights waiting on the water to go down so i could get back in, only to find a muddy swamp
been 33 years this week, anyone want to chime in, many on here are probably too young to remember or were not even born
Wow, I had been married 7 years in 77. I remember the flood at Matewan when I was in high school - we walked the tracks behind the school. I remember the flood at Matewan when I was in the sixth grade. All of them were bad but nothing like the 77 flood.
I remember them having a picture of the big curved glass window in the Williamson store- it was later owned by a very dear friend Dave Hamblen. It survived the flood - and I guess it was sold.

#44 Apr 18, 2010
Danny Johnson wrote:
<quoted text> NO I AM NOT.
Danny you and I are such trickters - using our real names seems to be confusing everyone. lol
p man

Raleigh, NC

#45 Aug 29, 2010
I remember my mother and me walked down town to see the water come over the flood wall on deep 3rd.we were at peackos corner when the water started rushing down 3rd ave.To this day I cant remember who the man was but he was waving his arms and yelling get out of town the water will be over your head in 5 minutes. We ran down to the underpass at the Cinderella theater and, by the time we got back up to the bottom of Elm st, the water was almost covering the tires on a car where we just were.
LOL

Prestonsburg, KY

#46 Aug 29, 2010
wilmaleesteele wrote:
I remember the 77 flood; it had snowed most of Jan., Feb., and March. I won't drive in the snow so I had not been to town in forever. The snow melted and I was going in the morning. It rained hard all night and by morning, it had flooded in Matewan and Williamson. I was not flooded but my heart broke for so many who had lost their homes. Things I remember: A tv in a tree a Sprigg; a large house at Matewan that had washed off it's foundation. People helping others cleaning up mud; washing what clothes that they were able to save; pictures in the newspaper that were so sad.
I had looked foward to my trip to town, I wanted to eat at The Lock, Stock, & Barrell or have pizza at the Walnut room but neither ever opened again.
We often plan on our life going on as usual until something like this happens and we are reminded that nothing is for sure in life - not your plans or worse yet, your home or life.
I mean no disrespect but I was born in 77 and remember eating at both places. My mom even has a picture of me setting on a stool at the Lock Stock and barrel when I was about 3.
actually

Harold, KY

#47 Aug 30, 2010
p man wrote:
I remember my mother and me walked down town to see the water come over the flood wall on deep 3rd.we were at peackos corner when the water started rushing down 3rd ave.To this day I cant remember who the man was but he was waving his arms and yelling get out of town the water will be over your head in 5 minutes. We ran down to the underpass at the Cinderella theater and, by the time we got back up to the bottom of Elm st, the water was almost covering the tires on a car where we just were.
there wasn't a floodwall in '77 .....The floodwall was completed by Army Corps of Engineers in 1991 in response to the flood along the Tug Fork River in 1977.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#48 Aug 30, 2010
yes their was a flood wall in town in 77 just a lot smaller. i remember watching water come over in 84.
p man

Raleigh, NC

#49 Aug 30, 2010
actually wrote:
<quoted text>
there wasn't a floodwall in '77 .....The floodwall was completed by Army Corps of Engineers in 1991 in response to the flood along the Tug Fork River in 1977.
Not the new flood wall the old one it was only about 3foot high on 1st ave down by the harvy st bridge. Up on Vinson st and 3rd ave. it was about 12foot or so.that part may still be there.
Yeah

Northfork, WV

#50 Aug 30, 2010
I lived in west end across from the pool. I was 10 at the time we got stuck they brought a boat to get us and we went to the white church up by the old school spent my B-day there.......lol
Jennifer

Gatlinburg, TN

#51 Nov 24, 2010
I remember the 77' flood. I was 12 and lived on the kentucky side at Turkey Creek. We have a 2 story home with a full size basement. I remember moving all the furniture upstairs, putting the guns on the beds, we stuffed until things were halfway down the stairs. I remember the water rushing into the basement through the garage door and we moved to my grandmothers home next door (it had never been flooded), then we moved again 2 homes up the holler, then sometime in the a.m. hours the adults woke us kids up (we were sleeping on the floor) and the furniture was already moved and stacked on tables and anything to get it off the floor, someone brought a boat up to the front porch and took us to dry land and we went further up the holler to stay until the water went down. I also remember my dad taking a small boat down to our house and putting a longer rope to our ski boat so it didn't get pulled under. When the water crested it had completely filled the basement, main level of our home and to the window seal of the upstairs rooms. The guns and some of our old movies and pictures were saved because the mattresses they were on floated. I never forget it, the mud, the cleanup . . .
Jennifer

Gatlinburg, TN

#52 Nov 24, 2010
wilmaleesteele wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a little before VCR Video recorders were owned by the average person. I bet the the older film would about be the only thing you could find.
You may check with the Coal House in Williamson, they may have the small book that was put our after the 77' flood, it has some good pictures of williamson and the surrounding areas during the flood.
WELL

Prestonsburg, KY

#53 Nov 24, 2010
Jennifer wrote:
<quoted text>
You may check with the Coal House in Williamson, they may have the small book that was put our after the 77' flood, it has some good pictures of williamson and the surrounding areas during the flood.
It sounds like you haven't heard. The Coal House may not have it anymore because it burned down last month (October 13th). Here's a link to their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/tugvalley
WELL

Prestonsburg, KY

#54 Nov 24, 2010
It actually burned on October 11...sorry.
Remember

Prestonsburg, KY

#55 Dec 30, 2010
It was horrible
california dreamin

United States

#56 Jan 2, 2011
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
I mean no disrespect but I was born in 77 and remember eating at both places. My mom even has a picture of me setting on a stool at the Lock Stock and barrel when I was about 3.
yeppers the walnut room and lock stock and barrell reopened i believe it was the youngs that ran LS and B, as well as the smokehouse having the best dogs in town besides east end, why would you go to justice drive in.
hope that flood dont come

Chesterfield, MO

#57 Jan 6, 2011
Jennifer wrote:
<quoted text>
wow that was a great flood for sure i lived down 292 across from mayer how ever its spelled i have 3 old pics that was taken from the air it looks like there of williamson if u all would like to see that i have ill try and get um on line asap i was 20 years old at that time my self been a year or so
tanya

Gary, IN

#58 Jul 27, 2011
I was there when the flood happend I was 8yrs old my dad larry looney helped with the clean up at magic mart and other places I remember being with my mom and driving behind the 5 and dime store I seen the river moving so fast and I was scared
jay vee

Spencer, WV

#59 Jul 28, 2011
Louie Olive Insurance has several pictures of the flood and I think Food City has some also
oh well

Hansford, WV

#60 Jul 28, 2011
i remember seeing a dog tied to a doghouse floating down the river i always wondered if the dog made it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Williamson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tell me about Jeff Simpkins 51 min Curiou 1
Ricoh man John alley 21 hr Drema 1
News Kanawha health officials offer tips to stay coo... Sun Fuzz 3
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Sun Water Boi 1,378
Is RANDY CASEY CHEATIN on his GIRLFRIEND Sun humm 4
Health Deparrment ratings Jul 23 Not surprised 2
R.I.P Madison Ward (Mar '09) Jul 23 WMStudent2007 2011 58

Williamson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance