Illegal Gambling Ring?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Straight Flush

Prestonsburg, KY

#1 Oct 5, 2013
Posted a few names and it was erased real fast! Wonder what happened there? The heat is on...
Sue

Morristown, TN

#2 Oct 6, 2013
Straight Flush wrote:
Posted a few names and it was erased real fast! Wonder what happened there? The heat is on...
What were the names?
Ramona

Elkview, WV

#3 Oct 6, 2013
I heard it was at Glen Dales'in Delbarton. Big Dal and Jarrod Fletchers names were mentioned. I heard Big Dal was one of the people who worked men and paid them cash , instead of paying workers' comp on them.
lets

Charleston, WV

#4 Oct 6, 2013
Ramona wrote:
I heard it was at Glen Dales'in Delbarton. Big Dal and Jarrod Fletchers names were mentioned. I heard Big Dal was one of the people who worked men and paid them cash , instead of paying workers' comp on them.
I know for a fact about 2 people and 1 wss on ssi that was working for big dal
Mingo girl

Reedy, WV

#5 Oct 6, 2013
it use to be the norm to hire ppl and pay cash especially truck drivers

Don and Buck drew up contract labor aggreements that were copied and used by many employers who tried to save on payroll expenses that was until the IRS began intervening with audits.

these new employee leading companies were really ignorant in regards to the laws or just plain stupid. Sure as someone gets hurt they will roll over and try to collect comp. No matter what agreements have been signed, toilet paper has more use when it comes to "employee/contractor " definitions by the IRS code
Mingo girl

Reedy, WV

#6 Oct 6, 2013
**leasing**
lets

Charleston, WV

#7 Oct 7, 2013
hope he has the contract paper work from last year and before in the proper order
Mingo girl

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Oct 7, 2013
lets wrote:
hope he has the contract paper work from last year and before in the proper order
contracts are void and obsolete in this situation, the law is what it is by definition:
employer/employee relationship includes the employer has the right to hire/fire the employee
tells them when to arrive/leave work
provides tools
controls how the work is performed

these things determine if a true contractual job exists
lets

Charleston, WV

#9 Oct 7, 2013
Mingo girl wrote:
<quoted text>
contracts are void and obsolete in this situation, the law is what it is by definition:
employer/employee relationship includes the employer has the right to hire/fire the employee
tells them when to arrive/leave work
provides tools
controls how the work is performed
these things determine if a true contractual job exists
and the contracts have the name or names they hire on them. now what about the ones who were on ssi did dal have a contract with them
MD Rice

Rio Rancho, NM

#10 Oct 7, 2013
There are two separate things going on here, from what this article says, there are A) investigations into tax evasion/payroll scams, etc. and then B) something about an illegal gambling ring. According to this article investigators are already talking to some of them and some are already cooperating, so, I would expect arrests in the payroll scams to be soon, but the illegal gambling may be much later, depending on how big it is and how many people are involved, and if other federal agencies have to be brought in for it.
http://wvowradio.com/Article.asp...
Straight Flush

Prestonsburg, KY

#11 Oct 7, 2013
See how fast this post disappears. The tobacco store in the Appalachian Plaza is owned by Greg Dotson. Former Logan county delegate Joe C. Ferrell pled guilty to income tax evasion on money made at the tobacco store which operated his gray poker machines. Ferrell paid a $250,000.00 fine and served 2 years in the federal pen. He was released this spring. Ferrell owned Southern Amusement, the largest video retailer in WV. Ferrell bought Southern Amusement back in the mid 90's from now Governor Earl Ray Tomblin. Dotson owns Giovanni's Pizza in Logan, which is right across the street from Southern Amusement. The tobacco store currently houses approximately 50 poker machines, which formerly belonged to Ferrell. You need a membership card to have access to these machines which are located behind a locked door in the back of the store. An attendant oversees the operation of these machines which pay in cash. Ferrell has paid his debt to society, Dotson has never been brought up on charges. The operation is currently operating on a daily basis under the name of B&D Games. Ferrell was charged with tax evasion and interstate transport of funds. It has been said that the money was divided up by Dotson delivering Ferrells part in a pizza box once a week. Just an opinion.
yep

Charleston, WV

#12 Oct 8, 2013
Straight Flush wrote:
See how fast this post disappears. The tobacco store in the Appalachian Plaza is owned by Greg Dotson. Former Logan county delegate Joe C. Ferrell pled guilty to income tax evasion on money made at the tobacco store which operated his gray poker machines. Ferrell paid a $250,000.00 fine and served 2 years in the federal pen. He was released this spring. Ferrell owned Southern Amusement, the largest video retailer in WV. Ferrell bought Southern Amusement back in the mid 90's from now Governor Earl Ray Tomblin. Dotson owns Giovanni's Pizza in Logan, which is right across the street from Southern Amusement. The tobacco store currently houses approximately 50 poker machines, which formerly belonged to Ferrell. You need a membership card to have access to these machines which are located behind a locked door in the back of the store. An attendant oversees the operation of these machines which pay in cash. Ferrell has paid his debt to society, Dotson has never been brought up on charges. The operation is currently operating on a daily basis under the name of B&D Games. Ferrell was charged with tax evasion and interstate transport of funds. It has been said that the money was divided up by Dotson delivering Ferrells part in a pizza box once a week. Just an opinion.
"Just an opinion"? I think you need a better understanding of what an opinion is, because what you said was half gossip and hearsay, not opinion.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#13 Oct 8, 2013
Straight from WSAZ:

WSAZ Update 6/1/11:
Ferrell pleaded guilty in October. The Logan County Democrat admitted he bribed a West Virginia Lottery inspector and allowed illegal payouts on poker machines leased to a Kentucky business. He also said he paid employees under the table.

UPDATE 2/23/11 @ 9:45 p.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va.(AP)-- A former West Virginia Lottery inspector has been sentenced to five years probation for lying to federal agents during a probe of a former lawmaker.

Carolyn Ann Kitchen of Chapmanville pleaded guilty in November to making a false statement to federal agents. She admitted lying to FBI and Internal Revenue Service agents in February 2008. The agents were investigating former Delegate Joe C. Ferrell.

The AP received reports that Kitchen wept as she asked the court for forgiveness at her sentencing in federal court on Wednesday. Kitchen also was fined $1,000.

Ferrell pleaded guilty in October to running an illegal gambling ring. He said he bribed Kitchen to bend the rules for video lottery machines owned by his company.
Need Proof

Charleston, WV

#14 Oct 8, 2013
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
"Just an opinion"? I think you need a better understanding of what an opinion is, because what you said was half gossip and hearsay, not opinion.
Explain how what he says cannot be his
opinion please. How would you explain that his comment is gossip and hearsay and not his
opinion? Be as detailed as you can and feel free to provide any links which might prove
what you say is fact and not opinion or hearsay. Thanks.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#15 Oct 8, 2013
Additional excerpts from the Logan Banner:

Under the agreement with U.S. Attorney R. Booth Goodwin II and Assistant U.S. Attorney Hunter Smith, Ferrell pled guilty to one count of racketeering and one count of bribery. In exchange the remaining counts of the indictment were dropped and all counts of the indictment that pertained to Southern Amusement Company, Ferrells Limited Video Lottery business were dismissed. Additionally Ferrell agreed to forfeit $527,540, which was paid to the government prior to the hearing and he also paid $75,000 in restitution to the Internal Revenue Service. Ferrell will be allowed to keep his business interests in Oaks Plaza at the Fountainplace Mall and his palatial estate at the Stollings Branch of Rocky Hill near Chapmanville. The federal governement had previously sought forfeiture of both the home and the Fountainplace investment.
Ferrell has also agreed to cooperate with the government and be forthright and truthful in all questioning related to any crimes he may have knowledge of including the ongoing investigation into corrupt southern West Virginia politicians and problems the federal government is currently investigating within the Manchin Administration.
Ferrell signed a three-page "Stipulation of Facts" wherein he made several confessions. "I was associated with the corporations Southern Amusement and White Amusement ... these corporations had to do with the operation of both legal and illegal gambling operations in the states of West Virginia and Kentucky and with my efforts to protect and forward those operations," the Stipulation begins.
In paragraph 2, Ferrell admitted that from the fall of 2003 until April 2008 he "knowingly conducted financed and managed an illegal gambling business in the state of Kentucky." He explained that the operated the business with the owner of an "establishment" in South Williamson, Ky. He admitted that, from time to time, he would travel to South Williamson to collect his share of the proceeds and he would often send others to collect money, distribute proceeds and perform maintenance on the gambling machines. Ferrell admitted that he had known former W.Va. Lottery inspector Carolyn Kitchen since she was a teenager and that he helped her get her job with the Lottery.
Ferrell admitted giving Kitchen sums of cash from time to time to help ensure her availability to him to assist him in accessing sealed logic areas of his gambling machines and to ensure her continued favorable treatment to his operations. "I was aware at the times I made these payments to Carolyn Kitchen that she was forbidden, under state law, to receive anything of value from me or anyone else she inspected or regulated," Ferrell confessed
Mingo County

Fort Wayne, IN

#16 Oct 8, 2013
Canada's store sells all kinds of things!!
Straight Flush

Prestonsburg, KY

#17 Oct 8, 2013
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
You, my friend, are a idiot!
yep

Charleston, WV

#18 Oct 8, 2013
Need Proof wrote:
<quoted text> Explain how what he says cannot be his
opinion please. How would you explain that his comment is gossip and hearsay and not his
opinion? Be as detailed as you can and feel free to provide any links which might prove
what you say is fact and not opinion or hearsay. Thanks.
Easy. All of it is stated as fact, and only part of it can be verified. The rest is hearsay regarding ongoing criminal activity. Either way, not opinion.

For the idiots in the room, of which there are several:

opin·ion
noun \&#601;-&#712;pin-y &#601;n\

: a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing.

Do you need a link to Merriam-Webster so you can further research definitions?
yep

Charleston, WV

#19 Oct 8, 2013
Straight Flush wrote:
<quoted text> You, my friend, are a idiot!
This is a good example of an opinion. Another example of what you were doing previously would be like me saying, "Straight Flush cooks meth in his basement," or "Mrs. Smith prints counterfeit money at her office." They're an unfounded allegations stated as fact, and completely unverifiable. Not an opinion.

And so what if your gossip is right? Then what? You get a shiny medal from the police department?

I would ask what if you were wrong, but you obviously don't care about that. Unless someone were spreading things like this about you, of course.
Need Proof

Charleston, WV

#20 Oct 8, 2013
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Easy. All of it is stated as fact, and only part of it can be verified. The rest is hearsay regarding ongoing criminal activity. Either way, not opinion.
For the idiots in the room, of which there are several:
opin·ion
noun \&#601;-&#712;pin-y &#601;n\
: a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing.
Do you need a link to Merriam-Webster so you can further research definitions?
No, actually it is his/her opinion that what he is saying is true. Some people making comments here aren't as fluent and educated as you are. You already know that, but you just need to pick on people by pointing out
little "problems" in their comments or opinions. Everything I just said is my opinion, but it happens
to also be factual. Another opinion and fact: you are an obnoxious, condescending, low-life
piece of shit for making fun of the guy who stutters and for everything else you have said to
certain people here who don't happen to follow your Team Mingo loving thoughts. I imagine anyone who reads this won't need your dictionary to know what "piece of shit" is; it is simply YOU.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Williamson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kyle 2 hr are you serious 13
Hey Teresa Mccune 3 hr Citizen z 1
Travis Crum 3 hr Haha 3
Brooke 18 hr Jessa Prater 9
Russell Ooten 20 hr karen 26
needing a male AKC registered Bloodhound for St... (Feb '11) Sat Lauvic89 45
John rouse (May '17) Dec 8 TOsha 53

Williamson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance