finding work

Cynthiana, KY

#1 Apr 27, 2012
I am currently on unemployment and was offered a job at KCC / Serco through the job shop. I was told it is a full time permanent position. I have worked a few of these contract type jobs though and know there is always a risk of getting laid off. How come KCC has such a high turn over rate? Is it because they lay off a lot or people just don't do the work properly?? I'm skeptical about taking another government contracted job just to get laid off again in a few months but they are paying a LOT more than what I'm getting on unemployment. Can someone please give their advice on whether I should take this job or not?
Worked there

Middlesboro, KY

#2 Apr 27, 2012
They lay off alot but if you do good work, they will make you permanent in a year or so!! They also treat people like crap sometimes. My advice would be to take the chance if you think it's worth it.
A Guy

Manchester, KY

#3 Apr 27, 2012
To add to what "Worked There" wrote,
They will lay you off if you do good work as well. It depends on how long you've been there and how much work KCC has on their current contract left. Even if you do good work they still try and get rid of all but a few before they've been there a year. Or at least that's how they worked when I was there. Because after a year of working there straight threw the job shop they were supposed to hire temps in full time. In any case, it's an easy job. It's in Williamsburg so you have to deal with all the children their (teen or adult). It used to be a High School atmosphere full of rumors and lies. If you enjoy that you'll fit right in. If you don't then just keep to yourself and stay out of all of it from the beginning and maybe you'll do alright. There used to be FAR too many bosses there. It was ridiculous and made for a harder job on any employee. One day you'd do something one way and the next day a higher up boss would decide they wanted it done differently. Ridiculousness. I don't know if that has changed. If you enjoy the drama or can stay out of the drama if you don't enjoy it then for the pay it's a job I'd accept if I were you. Even if they find a reason to "lay you off" before the years up, you've at least made decent pay while you were there. DO NOT adjust your lifestyle to that level of pay and have it become something you expect. Save you money and prepare for unemployment until you're a full member of KCC and not a temp. Good Luck!
finding work

Cynthiana, KY

#4 Apr 27, 2012
thanks. like i said I have worked at several of these places (CSC, ACS, Vangent) they are all the same drama. I just stay to myself , do my job and leave. I was just worried about getting laid off but I'm going to take your advice, take the job and save as much money as I can while it lasts. Thanks again.
A Guy

Manchester, KY

#5 Apr 27, 2012
You're most welcome
Book Lady

Williamsburg, KY

#6 Apr 29, 2012
My grandson works there. He went permanant a few months back and went to the day shift last week. He never complaines so it must be a good place to work.
New single mom

West Chicago, IL

#9 Jul 18, 2012
What's the starting pay through Job Shop? Making sure I can make it fit in my budget before I hire someone to watch my kids to spend 4-5 hours at TJS doing all their testing, etc.

Thank you
lol

Winchester, KY

#10 Jul 18, 2012
Almost 16 an hour.. no benefits, no vaca, no sick time, nothin.
New single mom

United States

#11 Jul 19, 2012
Thank you!
Curious

London, KY

#12 Jul 20, 2012
You don't even get sick time or vacation time that's crazy!!......"new single mom" did TJS offer you a position there yet cuz I'm waiting on my security clearance and just wondering if they've told you anything about the process?
Book Lady

Williamsburg, KY

#13 Jul 20, 2012
You have insurance, vacation...I don't know about sick days, that is after you get hired on full time.
not surprising

Corbin, KY

#14 Jul 21, 2012
Almost 16 an hour.. no benefits, no vaca, no sick time, nothin.

Reply: Don't know that what you say is true, but even if it was,$16 an hour in this area is good wages. Now I know why you don't have a job...with an attitude like yours. It def. needs some work-look at the positives in life, not the negatives, and you'll have a much happier life.
work there

Sikeston, MO

#15 Jul 21, 2012
you can miss days and make it up in the week if it is approved by the team leader, and the job shop allws you tomiss like 5 days with no excuses, plus you get all federal holidays off
Curious

London, KY

#16 Jul 21, 2012
Thank you "work there" !!!! I have a question for ya though, I once worked at Acs in "dhs" dept. Of homeland security and we keyed visas " bavim-pavis" for example.....is that what you all do too or is It something completely different? Thanks alot!!
that place

Sikeston, MO

#17 Jul 22, 2012
Curious wrote:
Thank you "work there" !!!! I have a question for ya though, I once worked at Acs in "dhs" dept. Of homeland security and we keyed visas " bavim-pavis" for example.....is that what you all do too or is It something completely different? Thanks alot!!
Kinda the same thing, you work with visa information, but really depends on what department you are placed in
Missy B

Dexter, MO

#18 Nov 6, 2013
Do you need good credit to work there ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Williamsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 16 min Blacklagoon 164,736
Who knows Robin Wilson? 1 hr Damn Curious 1
New Williamsburg Boy's Basketball Coach 9 hr Friend 4
old thrush remedies?? (Mar '11) 15 hr Here kitty 30
krystal Thomas 17 hr Jimmy 1
Williamsburg little league PICTURES Sun Here also 6
Woman wanted for discrete relationship Sun Jimmy crackcorn 1

Williamsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Williamsburg Mortgages