University of the Cumberlands

Posted in the Williamsburg Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
kay

Mayfield, KY

#1 Jun 14, 2012
I think that Williamburg needs to stop the college from buying up all the land and houses around town. I hate that they took out the white house next to mikes barber shop...that was a beautiful home...really sad! we wont have any history, older homes nothing left. stop selling your land to them!
lol

Madisonville, KY

#2 Jun 14, 2012
roddy could have stoped it !! but he didnt hes the colleges puppet!!
Pig Tails

Williamsburg, KY

#3 Jun 15, 2012
I agree.
what

Sikeston, MO

#4 Jun 15, 2012
Roddy cannot stop anything. He can't do anything without consulting the City Council, PLUS there isn't anything he can do about people selling of their land. If the college came to you and offered you 3 times what its worth I'm sure you would sell out too. Personally I do not agree with them purchasing so much land, but instead of blaming people who have no control over it, take it up with the landowners.
lol

Madisonville, KY

#5 Jun 15, 2012
there is laws to protect landmarks and historic homes!! roddy the city council could have stoped it !! but they dont care as long as the college got what they want !! and roddy is the colleges puppet!!
Info

Cynthiana, KY

#6 Jun 16, 2012
The home had orginial everything in it. A normal person could not have purchased that home and modernized it without spending way more money than it would take to build a new one. Of course, the asking price was way more than anyone would have been willing or able to pay and then turn around and pour tens of thousands in it to fix it. A money pit. Yes, it is sad when the past is gone, but it would have fallen down around itself in time. If someone thinks building shouldn't be torn down and it has some historical significance, then you can apply to be put on the National Register of Historic Buildings and go through all of the red tape. The city has not control over private property. The college does not own Roddy or the council. Your are too funny!
lol

Madisonville, KY

#7 Jun 16, 2012
sad thing was our city council is and so is roddy !!!!our historic town is almost gone !! and u think that is funny!!
Elmo

Winchester, KY

#8 Jun 16, 2012
Info wrote:
The home had orginial everything in it. A normal person could not have purchased that home and modernized it without spending way more money than it would take to build a new one. Of course, the asking price was way more than anyone would have been willing or able to pay and then turn around and pour tens of thousands in it to fix it. A money pit. Yes, it is sad when the past is gone, but it would have fallen down around itself in time. If someone thinks building shouldn't be torn down and it has some historical significance, then you can apply to be put on the National Register of Historic Buildings and go through all of the red tape. The city has not control over private property. The college does not own Roddy or the council. Your are too funny!
well according to your logic since town is old and needs some work to fix it. we should donate it to the college so they can dozer it over!
to late the college has dozered several dozen houses in the last few years and will dozer countless more with the approvel of the mayor and city council and no one can stop it!!?
Mayee

Corbin, KY

#9 Jun 17, 2012
lol wrote:
sad thing was our city council is and so is roddy !!!!our historic town is almost gone !! and u think that is funny!!
All these Counsils in all City,County and schools:

SBDM,

Cousils are just a front to help keep the trouble down and the point everyone agrees with the schools and such it's all a joke?
Info

Winchester, KY

#10 Jun 17, 2012
Elmo wrote:
<quoted text>
well according to your logic since town is old and needs some work to fix it. we should donate it to the college so they can dozer it over!
to late the college has dozered several dozen houses in the last few years and will dozer countless more with the approvel of the mayor and city council and no one can stop it!!?
No one has to ask the Mayor or city council for approval to sell their own land. Landowners can do as they please with their property as can you. Your statement is ridiculous!!
Ignorant

Whitley City, KY

#11 Jun 17, 2012
Cumberland college is a joke look how all of their students act in town (like a bunch of morons) and have no respect for any one. I wish the college would just get out of town they take advantage of the people and the town and dont for get thats a christian college but look how they do things and the way their students do. Just try and go to college there they want even acknowledge you at all besides hell you can go to u. K. For a fraction of the price at cumberland and u.k. Is alot better school
Info

Winchester, KY

#12 Jun 17, 2012
Ignorant wrote:
Cumberland college is a joke look how all of their students act in town (like a bunch of morons) and have no respect for any one. I wish the college would just get out of town they take advantage of the people and the town and dont for get thats a christian college but look how they do things and the way their students do. Just try and go to college there they want even acknowledge you at all besides hell you can go to u. K. For a fraction of the price at cumberland and u.k. Is alot better school
I suppose you think that students all other schools (like UK) act like angels. Give me a break. Just because UC is a Christian school doesn't mean you have to be a Christian to attend there. It just means that they are trying to provide a good environment for kids. They have excellent faculty who are caring and nice. Sure they may have a few questionable ones, but all schools do. As a fact (you can look it up) students who attend state schools owe more in school loans than students who attend private schools do. And private schools have more private funds to award in scholarships than state schools do. Get your facts straight before you start spouting off on here. You obviously have an axe to grind with UC and it seems to be personal.
Ignorant

Whitley City, KY

#13 Jun 17, 2012
They are higher all the way around,and no i didnt mean every student there acts like morons. If they are going to put the christian word out there they first need to get a handle on their students. And i can hinestly say it out loud cumberland college sucks sports and all
Jeff Boomhauer

Williamsburg, KY

#14 Jun 18, 2012
Ignorant... Really??? UC sucks and its students act like morons?

There are at least 141 families in this area who would beg to differ. They are the fortunate ones who have been blessed with a new home to live in thanks to the "moronic" UC students who run the Mountain Outreach program.

And what about the other "morons" at UC who organize and administer the childrens' gift day around Christmas time? Hundreds of local kids whose parents are "down on their luck," on drugs, or just plain lazy can come to the Mountain Outreach warehouse and pick up new toys for Christmas. Shop with a Cop is a great program but they can't always help every kid. It takes several programs working together to make a difference.

Or what about the twenty or so members of the UC soccer team who went to East Bernstadt in March of this year to help tornado victims? I guess they're "morons" too.

What a "moronic" thing it was for UC to host its second annual American Cancer Society Relay for Life in March. Someone at UC got the idea that it would be good to remodel the Boswell Campus Center and turn it into a Health and Wellness Center. Then he or she decided that this center should be open to the public to provide health and wellness education and resources to the Williamsburg community... free of charge... what a "moron" that person is!

You see, Ignorant, it's ironic that you should call the students at UC "morons." To call you a "moron" would be redundant given the name you have chosen for yourself. If you don't know what "redundant" means, look it up... or better yet, ask one of the "morons" at UC... they'll know.
Jeff Boomhauer

Williamsburg, KY

#15 Jun 18, 2012
Oh yeah, I almost forgot... Ignorant thinks that everything at UC sucks, even the sports programs.

I guess that's why UC sports has taken the President's Cup 7 times out of the past 14 years in the Mid-South Conference. They were runners-up the other 7 years.

It's ignorance like yours that give educational institutions like UC their raison d'etre.
graduate

Martinsburg, WV

#16 Jun 18, 2012
I graduated from CUMBERLAND COLLEGE over 30 years ago and received a good education. My mother graduated from there over 60 years ago along with 5 siblings who made teachers. It was a 2 yr school then and they received half off tuition because their father was a Baptist minister, and they all worked off the other half.If the college was going to make Williamsburg a boom town it would have happened a long time ago. From the previous posts it's evident that the economy in town in helped by the college as well as county folk. I never made any alumni donations because Dr. Taylor threw out the nursing program first thing when he came in. I thought the area needed nurses as much as teachers. But that's me.I have had several people tell me they were pressured to sell their homes to the college, especially widows, but no gun was held to their head.I believe it has hurt the tax base in the city/county because the college doesn't owe the taxes, being church based. Or so I've heard.They brought negative national attention to themselves dismissing the student because he was gay.There are good points and bad points to everything.Cumberland College is part of the community in Williamsburg and will always be.
Elmo

Winchester, KY

#17 Jun 18, 2012
jeff it's plain to see you suck-off the college's TIT and would like williamsburg to bow down to the college as it tears our town down house by house!!
Jeff Boomhauer

Williamsburg, KY

#18 Jun 18, 2012
Elmo, it's plain to see that you don't understand economics and how UC's day-to-day operations and expansion are directly linked to the financial well-being of this city. It is because I love this town so much and want to see it prosper and grow that I support much of what UC does.

This is the year 2012. Homes like the Ballou house and others of that era are incredibly inefficient to heat and cool. Why would two people need to continue to live in a house that size? What family would want to move into a monolithic manor house like that? Are you suggesting as others have that the city should have purchased it to save it? Then what?

If the city owned it, it would not only no longer contribute to the tax base, it would be a DRAG on the tax base. UC doesn't pay the same property tax that private citizens pay, so whatever building goes up there, it will not produce a property tax bill of any size... TRUE. However, whatever building goes up there will have to be designed by somebody... framed in by somebody... plumbed and wired by somebody... drywalled by somebody... bricked (or sided) by somebody... and roofed by somebody. Then somebody will have to install windows and doors, while somebody else pours concrete for the sidewalk. After it's built, somebody will have to maintain it... somebody will have to clean it... and somebody will have to work in it on a daily basis.

NONE of those somebodies will work for FREE. They will ALL get paid! They will ALL pay payroll tax. They will ALL get a paycheck with which they can buy stuff all over town.

Of all those on here who decry the demise of downtown Williamsburg, ask yourselves these questions: Do you rent movies from Hollywood Video or Redbox at McDonald's or Wal-Mart? Do you get your prescriptions filled at Maiden's, Corner Prescription Shoppe, or do you just pick up your pills while shopping at Wal-Mart? Do you go to lunch at Milly's on Main or just hit one of the drive-thrus near the interstate? Do you give Williamsburg Furniture or Faulkner and Taylor a chance at your business or do you just head out of town to get a "good deal" on your furniture? Do you buy parts from Canada Brothers or from Auto Zone or Advance?

Personally, I rent from Hollywood, get my Rx from Mike Bordes at Corner, and eat at Milly's at least twice a month. Bones Mattie sold me my last couch right there on main street. I buy all my oil and air filters from the Canadas.

All you who claim that UC is killing this town, what have YOU done to support our local merchants? It's easy to point the finger of blame at UC but look in the mirror and ask that guy where he spends HIS money.
Jeff Boomhauer

Williamsburg, KY

#19 Jun 18, 2012
If Roddy is Dr. Taylor's lapdog, then answer this one simple question? Why did Roddy push for alcohol sales and cast the 4th and deciding vote in City Council for Sunday sales when Dr. Taylor spent thousands of his own money, not university money, to try to defeat the measure?

Can't do it, can you? If Roddy was Dr. T's puppet, Williamsburg would still be dry!

If you don't like Roddy, then run against him! If you can't stand to live in Williamsburg in 2012, then move! I'm sure there's some available land in Pine Knot.
lol

Madisonville, KY

#20 Jun 18, 2012
jeff that is for show only!! taylor and roddy have private meeting weekly!!and as for mountian outreach most of the homes built were by outa town groups!yes there was a couple of students with them !!the groups were the once that done most of the building !!and most of the college kid dont care !!and they cant wait to get outa town!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Williamsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 9 min ChromiuMan 156,534
Barry Fuson/ prefered health care 11 hr Hmmm 5
drugs on 92 gatlif 12 hr bigdaddy 4
unsolved murder/cold cases in whitley co (Feb '14) Mon Gin 38
Truth Mon well 2
canadatown Mon sexyashell 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) Mon Harry 753

Williamsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Williamsburg Mortgages