First Prev
of 2
Next Last
I Think

Richmond, KY

#22 Feb 20, 2012
Jeff Boomhauer wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you realize how much good UC does in Williamsburg? Any idea of how much support they give to people in this area? The students have to do community service hours in the community in order to graduate. The Mountain Outreach program builds 2 or 3 houses each year and does dozens of other projects to help people. They build wheelchair ramps for people, put roofs on houses, install new windows, etc.
They also have a clothes bank and Christmas gift day for local kids to have Christmas gifts.
That's only the start of what UC does for Williamsburg. Plus, the school employs a couple of hundred people.
And you have the nerve to begrudge UC for getting "all the money" from the new steakhouse? What will they do with "all the money" if they DO turn a profit? Probably give some kid a scholarship. What a scandal!
Every College institution has programs like this, am I suppose to be impressed? I think NOT, and could Cumberland really get away with NOT doing? Not for long, look in the land reacords the school has "acquired" over the many many years, do you really think that the majority of people don't wonder how many of those "land deals" were a little on the hinky side, everyone know's promise the right person something, or pay the right price you can look real clean and legal. Everyone who has ever been approached by the college or "someone representing them", only get offered penny's on the dollar for it and the person is old with no living relatives, they practically steal it!!!! You won't pull the wool over my eyes with their BS.
college

New Albany, IN

#23 Feb 20, 2012
The college is great for the town of WIlliamsburg and Whitley County. The faculty and students pour a lot of money and effort into this area and they should be appreciated for the contribution they make. Look at all the people with degrees from there. My Grandparents all the way down to my sister have graduated from Cumberland. It has been great for generations.
Jeff Boomhauer

Winchester, KY

#24 Feb 20, 2012
Hey "I Think"... maybe you should actually "think" on this subject from a practical perspective. Let's use the example you gave... an elderly person with few if any living relatives with a piece of property that could benefit the university.

Scenario #1 - This land and/or home is appraised at $100,000 and the person sells it to UC for $100,000. Great, UC gets the property it wants and the person gets $100,000.

Scenario #2 - The property appraises for $100,000 but the person sells it to UC for $75,000. UC then gives the other $25,000 it saves as a scholarship to a deserving but poor student whose parents are on welfare and can't afford to send him or her to college.

Then the elderly person writes off the other $25,000 of property value they didn't receive as a charitable donation... all perfectly legal and done every day.

In Scenario #2, everyone benefits and no one is cheated, not even the government.

And, by the way, you're wrong on your other assertion that every other college has the same kind of program as Mountain Outreach. Many schools do but not all... not even MOST.

I think that "I Think" should do more research on the topic.
dew the dude

United States

#25 Mar 17, 2012
I want a cold beer with my steak....SHILOH'S in London....U.C. can keep their steaks....like an applebees with bad elevator music.
Jeff Boomhauer

Winchester, KY

#26 Mar 17, 2012
Hey dew the dude, enjoy the drive! The Patriot Steakhouse has been busy since the day they opened. By the way, the decor at the Patriot Steakhouse is more like Ruby Tuesday, not Applebees. You should get out more.
Retired Teacher

Fulton, KY

#27 Mar 17, 2012
Slow, rude service. Average food at 5-Star prices. Won't be back. I'll drive to David's in Corbin.
Local

Morehead, KY

#29 Oct 6, 2012
Retired Teacher wrote:
Slow, rude service. Average food at 5-Star prices. Won't be back. I'll drive to David's in Corbin.
OMG. David's Steakhouse is the pits. Bad food and service in a dirty enviroment. Have not been to the Patriot Steakhouse but if it's worse than David's, I will not be going.
customer

Corbin, KY

#30 Oct 6, 2012
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG. David's Steakhouse is the pits. Bad food and service in a dirty enviroment. Have not been to the Patriot Steakhouse but if it's worse than David's, I will not be going.
I have been there 3 times actually and the food was great! Awesome spinach dip and steaks!
Wondering

Whitley City, KY

#31 Oct 9, 2012
Why go to london or corbin when the mall has a fabulous new restaurant! The taste of the country is a swell place to eat the remodeling that was done is fantastic! I went there last week and the food was incredible I'd recommend the philly cheese steak hoagie an if your in the mood for good steak that's the place to get it, I'm glad Williamsburg finally has a nice clean family oriented restaurant.
wonderingwhyulef tpineknot

Kodak, TN

#32 Oct 22, 2012
You should have never left Pine Knot. Ole Country Cafe is better than all these places put together and is very reasonable and great portions!
Wondering wrote:
Why go to london or corbin when the mall has a fabulous new restaurant! The taste of the country is a swell place to eat the remodeling that was done is fantastic! I went there last week and the food was incredible I'd recommend the philly cheese steak hoagie an if your in the mood for good steak that's the place to get it, I'm glad Williamsburg finally has a nice clean family oriented restaurant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Williamsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Summer Drivers Ed 6 hr Curious 1
Anchor ministries 8 hr Rodney 14
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 9 hr Ren 172,890
Sheriffs race 15 hr Auzz 1
Family needing help 17 hr desperate mother 1
Super Fri Big yay 3
Triple murder on deep branch road Fri bill 40

Williamsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance