Comments
141 - 160 of 167 Comments Last updated Jun 16, 2014
Raised in Havasu

Andrews, TX

#143 Sep 22, 2012
Oh, also, for all of those saying that your kids will magically start doing drugs because of "all of the kids doing it in high school", they don't know what they're talking about. I ran with a pretty popular crowd and NO ONE in those groups did that stuff. The kids that did were the ones that weren't going anywhere and everyone knew that. It wasn't the cool thing to do or something that everyone did.
Lynette

Kingman, AZ

#144 Sep 23, 2012
I also came from Michigan... I love it here...The temps are higher but the dryness makes a difference. I have a 17 year old son who is having a hard time making friends but he is home schooled and that makes a difference... Drugs are everywhere.. you cant blame any one area.. we lived for years in a small michigan town and the drug problem there is higher than any part of flint if you break it down to an area of the same size... i think if you move here its gonna be very different than michigan that is for sure but there are adjustments no matter where you move..
Advisor to the Stars

Waltham, MA

#145 Sep 28, 2012
The people that are raving about how great LHC is are the ones with houses for sale. It's a cool place to visit once or twice. The first time I saw it, in the late 60's it was nothing more than a few houses and the London bridge in numbered pieces spread out across the desert. I liked it a lot better then.

Since: Apr 09

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#146 Nov 9, 2012
sdoggy wrote:
<quoted text>
My family is one of the fouunding families of LHC and I left in 1969 to move to Hawaii because I surfed. At that time the population was less than 1,000 people and it was a fun town to live in. I was diagnosed with cancer of my tonsils in Jan.2009 and went through 3 operstions and 33 treatments of radiation. The radiation really did a number on me and I cannot surf any longer and my job was eliminated so I decided to move back to havasu in July of 2010 and am glad I did. The population has grown to about 50,000 but it still has a small town feeling and I have not seen as much drug related problems as I did on Kauai and the people I have met have been very nice and friendly. Yes it does get hot in the summer but that's why we have A/C and it is hot for only a couple of months. As far as I am concerned it's a great little city and since I am an owner of 2 houses I no loger have to pay rent and the cost of living is very cheap as far as gas and food are concerned. If you can take the heat for a couple of months a year than I would say for you to go for it and move here. Aloha,Mike
Just wanted to add a little to the cost of living here in LHC. For you coming for Hawaii or anyone coming for Cali, it is cheap. But if you come from the Midwest or certain Southern states, it is not cheap. I moved from the Midwest and was shell-shocked at the cost of utilities, food and gas. Also the retail stores are a little pricey for what they offer. Outside of that. LHC isn't to bad of a place. Oh, yes there are drugs here and sometimes it is quite obvious. But, drugs are almost every where now days.
TODD

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#147 Jan 2, 2013
mesasdad wrote:
<quoted text> if you like 130 deg heat, tweekers and dirt that will cost you 300,000.00 its a great place!
I THINK ITS GREAT....LOTS OF BOATS AND BOAT OWNERS...U CAN PICK UP A PLACE FROM 60,000 AND UP....DEPENDS WHERE U WANT TO LIVE...IT GETS HOT....BUT ITS DRY HEAT....YOU DONT SWET YOUR BUT OFF LIKE OTHER HOT CLIMETS...JOIN THE FUN ON THE LAKE
curveball

United States

#148 Jan 23, 2013
Well if anyone is wondering what a "kid" thinks of havasu. I am 22, work for one of the better companies in town that is not city or government. Rent a house by myself, pay my bills, own a reliable car and still have time and funds left over for having fun with. Lived here 2 years so far, moved with no job lined up and was working within a month but then again I grew up working and was taught that hard work pays off (working only 40 hours a week is forein to me.) have changed jobs a few times due to companies goin under, but have never been out of work for longer than a week unless by choice to catch up on side work. The saying of you have to hustle is true here, I work full time then do side work after work and on weekends. Retiring here would be fun for sure, but I've tried it here and ready for a change of pace and scenery. The cops here WILL harrase you if you are new in town for about the first 6 months, so I just refuse to even speak to them now, I make them acquire search warrants just to waste their time. Watch out who you work for, as with everywhere drugs are there and druggies are around, heroin is huge here and damn near every 20 something female I have met has been on it at one point or another. If you want a good woman/partner bring them with you. I would never raise children here but then again I don't believe that kids should be raised in cities. People that are from havasu are coldhearted, the people that re-locate here from back east are better people all around.
Jeff

Kingman, AZ

#149 Feb 24, 2013
Moved here from southern ca. I'm selling and getting the hell out of here as soon as I can. The average age in this town is around 60 or so. If your young and like a vibrant town and people, don't come near here. Did I mention its 120 degrees in the summer here, but that's when the younger crowd shows up. If your retiring this is the town for you, if your young and still working and raising a family. I'd say don't even think about it, this place is not an option...
Stoked

Los Angeles, CA

#150 Feb 25, 2013
I find most of these posts in this forum to be right on. Enjoying life in Havasu depends on where you come from, and where you are at in your life. I absolutely love it here, but I do not live here full time. Too young to retire and not enough good paying jobs here, or I would be. Being from CA, LHC is DIRT CHEAP. Housing is ridiculously cheap, restaurants are very good and inexpensive. Gas? Just paid $4.89 the other day in LA. I too find the population to be a bit older. Okay, a LOT older. I know what bars and restaurants they don't go to, so there are places for everyone of all ages. I would never dream of raising a famliy here, not that it is bad, but you really need to make your money and find your spouse elsewhere and bring them with you. There are not enough good paying jobs or professions in Havasu for yound working people.
The Joker

Dunlap, TN

#151 Feb 26, 2013
Summer is coming. I will be there with good medical smoke, my go fast boat, and bringing one hot babe. I love Havasu
Merrill

United States

#152 Apr 23, 2013
melissa wrote:
my husband and I are planning on moving our family to lake havasu city (from michigan). we have 2 teenage kids, what is it like out there? we have a marine manufacturing and repair business and have had lots of people tell us that relocating to lake havasu would be in our best interest. what's that climate like? cost of living? housing options? any advice is appreciated, thanks!!
HEY WE ARE FROM NORTHERN MICHIGAN ALSO AN WE INTEND TO HEAD OUT TO LHS IV ALSO HAVE 16 YEAR-OLD SON JUST WAS WONDERING IF YOU MADE THE MOVE AN IF U ARE HAPPY LIFE IS FULL OF RISKS IF YOU HAVE THE TIME E MAIL BACK LET US KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK bryanmorrill67@gmail.com THANKS AND GOOD LUCK AN GOD BLESS
RedZilla

Kingman, AZ

#153 May 4, 2013
Lake Havasu seems nice to us, we were there today. We're going to do "test run", visits a bit before we decide to move there. Since we have businesses that can be run from just about anywhere, we don't need jobs. I do have a few questions of my own.

Has the California influx changed the political climate at all? We're staunch conservatives, and lived in Las Vegas for years. When the Californians invaded, the political climate started to get very liberal. They infiltrated public office, and try very hard to turn that city into the mess they left (go figure!). We moved to Arizona to get away from all that. We currently live "out in the desert" and love it, but it's too cold and windy in our location, which I detest.

As far as "cops harassing" people, that's not good. We're law abiding, non drug using people. I am a lady who does open carry a firearm. Will this "harassment" apply to us? We're both in our 50s, friendly, and mind our own business. Thanks for any info!
hot

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#154 Aug 15, 2013
Heroin epidemic. bad. hot hot hot. drunk drivers. bad attitudes. high bills. fried cars. nothing for kids. and on and on and on
hot

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#155 Aug 15, 2013
want to add...

please, don't move here. It is going downhill at a fast rate. Don't move kids into this place. No one should be living here. A town this small shouldn't have suicide attempts on an almost daily basis, especially not with all the sunshine it gets. The cloudy areas tend to have higher suicide rates due to the lack of sun. When a sunny town sees so many, it speaks volumes.
Anon

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#156 Aug 26, 2013
I am 23. I moved here when i was eight, from Salinas california. If you think murder is bad in L.A look again check out where i came from.Its the LARGesr murder per capita in the country. And the sad fact is Only About 120000 people live there......I have lived in lake havasu for 14 years went through 1-12 grades never picked up the habbit of drugs or alcohol. yeah it was around but its friking everywhere are you kidding me. so what if there is parties and so on. i got myself into trouble the fist time when i was an adult as like most people. People talk bad about this town and don't even realiize how much worse other places really are. Axtually they pfobably are used to living in private communites or in some nice part if a suburb miles away from the closest ghetto. Everyone lives close here so that's proably why and no one are ***holes unless your rude or act snotty towards people. there are tones of restaraunts unfurtunatly so are there bars. But you can almost find a church on everyother corner. I don't knkw why people say there isn't anything to do. damn as a kid i played baseball in rhe empty lots. Kids and parents are just friggin lazy and just don't have the sense to raise their kids right. We don't have big businesses other than New west dental ceramics and steralite.
Michelle D

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#157 Nov 3, 2013
Noir wrote:
I live about an hour away from Havasue. While it does have more than our tiny little spit of a town has to offer, I don't believe that the drug/gang problem up there is as bad as any other town out there. LHC to me seems more like a retirement home or a vacation spot for Californians.
And here is the real truth about the matter...There is NOT a drug nor a gang problem in Havasu. There are some issues, but in the big picture, there is very little drug or gang activity. As for the Californians...well, get this straight here and now, Californians built this town for their own recreation. So if 'outsiders' chose to move here, don't get pissed off because the californias don't get all happy over your arrival. No matter where Californiains go outside of Cali people 'hate' them..PURE JEALOUSY. stop with the californians not being friendly. Havasu is a California town with an Arizona zip code..get that straight. This is a good town to raise teens. There is little crime here. Also, there is little work. Being that this is a RESORT town...let me say that again..a RESORT town, you will find MOST people here do live in California and come on weekends. If you want to live here, do so for the climate and the kick back attitude....
Michelle D

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#158 Nov 3, 2013
hot wrote:
want to add...
please, don't move here. It is going downhill at a fast rate. Don't move kids into this place. No one should be living here. A town this small shouldn't have suicide attempts on an almost daily basis, especially not with all the sunshine it gets. The cloudy areas tend to have higher suicide rates due to the lack of sun. When a sunny town sees so many, it speaks volumes.
What a bunch of lies...they do not attempt suicide daily here..I think you are on drugs...
unhappy citizen

Golden Valley, AZ

#159 Nov 25, 2013
Surprised wrote:
<quoted text> It is a wonderful place. You must know these "tweekers". So help us get rid of them. They are EVERYWHERE, it is just that this town is small & you see them more. Go to the Big cities & you will see them also they just blend better in the crowds
Don't need to know these people they come in you're yard and steal your stuff they are every where it is nasty they style my shop vac and a day later i found it in craigs list like wow
unhappy citizen

Golden Valley, AZ

#160 Nov 25, 2013
Raised in Havasu wrote:
Oh, also, for all of those saying that your kids will magically start doing drugs because of "all of the kids doing it in high school", they don't know what they're talking about. I ran with a pretty popular crowd and NO ONE in those groups did that stuff. The kids that did were the ones that weren't going anywhere and everyone knew that. It wasn't the cool thing to do or something that everyone did.
Wow so u can deem someone to have zero potential like really that's like someone says you aren't worth anything n telling you that you can't do anything right everyone has some potential they just need the push (close minded popular d bags lol uppl make this place what it is) your no better then anyone else
Happy Camper

Los Angeles, CA

#161 Nov 28, 2013
Have lived here for a year now, haven't seen any drugs and not a single gang. This place is Mayberry. No graffiti, no house alarms or security systems. Please, LHC is about as safe and laid back as any town I have ever lived in. No, there are no decent jobs here, but who comes here to work????

Since: Apr 09

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#162 Dec 12, 2013
If you move here, just remember to bring plenty of money. Every thing is over priced big time here. Gas is almost the most expensive in the state. Any type of service is sky high. And most service sucks. Many people are rude. They think they are "special" and nothing applies to them. A lot of them don't have the concept of private property. They ride their off road vehicles on private property and when confronted they have a tendency to try and get violent. Many don't understand the rules of the road. One of the the big services is auto body shops. LHC may not be a big city, but it has big city issues.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I Hate Lake Havasu (Aug '11) Aug 26 Fedupwithit 24
Debate: Marijuana - Lake Havasu City, AZ (Aug '10) Aug 20 critter 94
Crews make strides on Sitgreaves, McRae wildfir... Jul '14 Greta 1
Fire/ Animal Warning Jul '14 Greta 1
Valuation of Urgent care center for sale Jul '14 ambulatoryalliances4 1
AZ AZ Hunting Amendment, Proposition 109 (Oct '10) Jul '14 GeorgeKennerly 93
Should the Sheriff be Endorsing Candidates for ... Jul '14 BobHasselhoff 1
•••
•••
Williams Dating