David E Casteel

Mays Landing, NJ

#1 Aug 27, 2006
I am interested in knowing the current status of the Hebo Inn in Hebo, Oregon. When I visited the town in 2002 it was being renovated after a period of disuse. I was stationed at Mt. Hebo AFS in 1960-1962 and attended a reunion there in 2002. I cannot find any references to a business by that name on the web--has it been renamed?
Thanks.
David E. Casteel
Captain, USAF (ret)
Derek Larson

Collegeville, MN

#2 Jan 29, 2007
David-

The Hebo Inn (wish I could print those backwards) was shuttered and in disrepair when I was through in August 2006. I spent a night on top the mountain and took a lot of photos of the reclaimed AFS site; there's really nothing left now but bits of the helipad. If you poke around in the brush near the banks there's debris in some places (cables, wire, a large dry-cell battery, etc.) but that's it. I imagine any trace of the inn will soon be gone as well.

Regards,

Derek Larson
David E Casteel

Arlington, TX

#3 May 5, 2007
Derek, the pictures you took of Mt. Hebo would probably be of interest to the people who maintain the Radomes.org web site--they post pictures of all existing and former radar sites, and they have a link to my own photos of Mt. Hebo on the Mt. Hebo page plus pictures by many others.(Go to Radomes.org , click on the Radar Museum on the sidebar, then search for the site. The link to my pictures is in the section called "Documents", and the other pictures are in the section called "Pictures".)
Have you posted your Mt. Hebo pictures anywhere on the web? I would be interested in seeing them.
David E. Casteel
Captain, USAF (ret)
Dan P

Roseville, CA

#4 Feb 8, 2008
Are you talking about the restaurant? I used to go there in the late 70's - best/worst food for you. I'd like to go back there for old times sake.
Ronald D Dittrick

Moses Lake, WA

#5 Aug 17, 2009
I spent all of-61/63 on top of hebo,sent to McCord motor pool.REA Express-3yrs, Bellevue Safeway Driver-32yrs--retired..I came from Bay City Mich to Mt Hebo and love every day of it....
trants4md

Portland, OR

#6 Oct 11, 2010
Actually it is still under renovations but much progress appears to be getting done these days. I do not know when it may re-open but new siding is in progress now and looking better.

I believe the owner is working as a one man band and doing the best one can on a big project for one person. It is said there was some fire damage needing repair from some teenage prank in the restroom that added to the job.

This is as of 10-10-2010 when I drove by yesterday!

Have faith,
Don Bringman

Dayton, OH

#7 Apr 17, 2011
JIM CANNON RAN THE HEBO RESTAURANT IN 56-59. NCOIC RADAR MAINT WAS GEORGE DESTAFNO
DON BRINGMAN
SAFEHOOK72@AOL.COM
David E Casteel

Garland, TX

#8 Apr 17, 2011
There used to be a photo of Mt. Hebo AFS located inside that facility that the people at Radomes.org would love to get a copy of. So far they have not been able to discover if that picture is still there.
I attended the Mt. Hebo AFS reunions in 2002 and 2010 and did see a few folks I had known. There are not many I served with there left.
davidecasteel AT yahoo.com
Courtney

Mesa, AZ

#9 Oct 16, 2011
My mom and her dad own the hebo inn and restaurant. It is still being renovated but has made very large leaps into being a hotel and restaurant again. There is an extra building being added and the white house north east of the hotel and rest will be torn down for extra parking. If anyone has any questions about it email me at courtneydeannx@gmail.com and I can ask my mom or grandpa any questions if you need answers :)
Courtney

Mesa, AZ

#10 Oct 16, 2011
David E Casteel wrote:
There used to be a photo of Mt. Hebo AFS located inside that facility that the people at Radomes.org would love to get a copy of. So far they have not been able to discover if that picture is still there.
I attended the Mt. Hebo AFS reunions in 2002 and 2010 and did see a few folks I had known. There are not many I served with there left.
davidecasteel AT yahoo.com
Email me and describe the photo. I will do my very best to fund it. More than likely it is stil there.
Courtneydeannx@gmail.com
Courtney

Mesa, AZ

#11 Oct 16, 2011
trants4md wrote:
Actually it is still under renovations but much progress appears to be getting done these days. I do not know when it may re-open but new siding is in progress now and looking better.
I believe the owner is working as a one man band and doing the best one can on a big project for one person. It is said there was some fire damage needing repair from some teenage prank in the restroom that added to the job.
This is as of 10-10-2010 when I drove by yesterday!
Have faith,
yes, a teenager burnt the conference room and kitchen of the restaurant own. There will be a gift shop, and wine cellar also added to the front room. With flatscreen TVs and beautiful fireplace.
If you have any questions email me at courtneydeannx@gmail.com
Courtney

Mesa, AZ

#12 Oct 16, 2011
Derek Larson wrote:
David-
The Hebo Inn (wish I could print those backwards) was shuttered and in disrepair when I was through in August 2006. I spent a night on top the mountain and took a lot of photos of the reclaimed AFS site; there's really nothing left now but bits of the helipad. If you poke around in the brush near the banks there's debris in some places (cables, wire, a large dry-cell battery, etc.) but that's it. I imagine any trace of the inn will soon be gone as well.
Regards,
Derek Larson
The inm and restaurant are renovated and it will live on forever.
Richard Lassig

Atlanta, GA

#13 Oct 17, 2011
Anyone stationed at Hebo circa 1960 remember my father - Richard Lassig from New York?
Just curious - he spoke fondly of his time at HEBO. I brought my daughters to the radar site during the summer of 2010. He used to tell us about a wagon or cart they would glide down to the bottom of the mountain on. He was a volunteer fireman.
Stationed in Thule Greenland either before or after
Tom Williams

United States

#14 Dec 28, 2011
David E Casteel wrote:
I am interested in knowing the current status of the Hebo Inn in Hebo, Oregon. When I visited the town in 2002 it was being renovated after a period of disuse. I was stationed at Mt. Hebo AFS in 1960-1962 and attended a reunion there in 2002. I cannot find any references to a business by that name on the web--has it been renamed?
Thanks.
David E. Casteel
Captain, USAF (ret)
Please send me your email address and I will send you some pics and local newspaper clippings about the Hebo INN (with the backward 'N's)

Tom Williams
Nestucca HS '67
Cloverdale, OR
(now living in Merced, CA)
tdw@clearwire.net
David Casteel

Carrollton, TX

#15 Dec 28, 2011
Tom, my e-mail address is davidecasteel@yahoo.com. The last photo I saw did not have the backward "N"s--have they been restored?(I always thought they were part of its charm.)
Courtney, I can't really describe the picture since I never saw it, but it would be of the old radar site up on Mt. Hebo. It probably would show some of the radar domes and/or some of the metal buildings used for administration, support, and lodging. If you find anything that you think might be it, make a quick photo and e-mail it to me and I'll let you know if I think it is what the history people are interested in.
David E. Casteel
Captain, USAF (ret)
Dallas, Texas
davidecasteel@yahoo.com
zach

Elma, WA

#16 Jul 27, 2012
I just did drywall work at the hebo inn and left after no payment
Frank Beckerer

Wallingford, CT

#17 Apr 20, 2014
Frank Beckerer ...in 1984 I took my wife and children Wendy 16, Tara 15 and Sean 9 on a cross country trip from Milford CT to northern Washington, to Mexico doing 34 states in seven weeks. Ever spend seven weeks in a car with your kids? Well we stopped north of Hebo and went trout fishing and ended up with a mess of trout ... what to do? I stated that restaurants are in the business of cooking food and would be happy to cook the fish for our lunch. My family thought I had left my marbles along the wayside. Well we stopped at a place north of Hebo and the wife and Wendy went in to see if they would cook the fish. I don't know if they got politely shoved out the door or laughed out of the place but they arrived back in the car embarrassed and unhappy. Further south we came on the Hebo Inn and it was my turn to redeem myself or starve trying. I approached a lady (assumed owner) and possibly daughter (around eight) and explained the situation. She said of course she would cook the fish. I offered to clean them and she refused saying this was Oregon and every one can clean fish (except her northern neighbors). I remember the floor as being uneven and we sat on the right of the entry. Soon we had a platter of trout and another platter of fries. After we were offered home made fruit pie. I remember the slices as looking like they were 2" high and no more then five slices to a pie. I remember the bill was about six dollars,$1 for the fries and $1 for each slice of pie, nothing for the drinks. I think I left $ 30, a cheap price for a great memory and fresh home cooking after a month on the road.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willamina Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Landlord accused of hitting tenant with car, la... Apr 8 mare 1
wounded warriors project Mar 23 Tulip 1
News Stopping By: Yamhill's queen of volunteers (Mar '09) Jan '14 len 2
News Police raid damages property in Yamhill Co.; ow... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Veronica 1
News Willamina bank robber receives prison sentence (Jul '11) Jul '11 sunnyDay 1
News Semi-truck overturns, powerline wire on top of ... (Apr '11) Apr '11 paul k 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Oregon (Di... (Oct '10) Apr '11 Kenneth Payne 7
More from around the web

Willamina People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]