Daniels abandons Indy-area toll road

Daniels abandons Indy-area toll road

There are 176 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 25, 2007, titled Daniels abandons Indy-area toll road. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

In the face of blistering public opposition, Gov. Mitch Daniels on Saturday dropped his controversial proposal to build a toll road bypass east and south of Indianapolis.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
freedom1776

Elgin, IL

#1 Mar 25, 2007
I have one question? What's he up to now? Sorry Mitch, but you don't stand a chance in a re-election bid. I guess the people of Indiana aren't so naive after all! It was the crowds of people at local meetings that defended our right to property and freedom. Thank You to the great American People of Indiana! The land belongs to the people!!!!!!!!! Make your run for office in another State!!!!!
sally

Fort Wayne, IN

#3 Mar 25, 2007
mike321zero wrote:
Daniels is horrible. Plus, he isn't gay-friendly. Neither is Eugene White with his crazy school uniforms. LEAVE THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS ALONE! THEY ARE FINE!
Now Matthew Tully, he's my kind of man, if you know what I mean.
You are entitled to your opinion, however, our publi schools, esp IPS are not fine. School uniforms have been proven to increase self esteem and grades.
eli

United States

#4 Mar 25, 2007
I lived in Houston , Tx., population ( in and around metro area 8-10 million ), they needed and built a belt-way, toll roads , etc.! Indianapolis,In , is a million plus population in the same size geographic local , and we do not need such roads ( just repave/widen )! Now if we could rid ourselves of Mitch our lives might return to normal , esp. at 5:30 a.m. in the summer when I'm use to driving down I-37 in day light , now its 7:45 a.m before it seems the day has begun ! An d all the mothers at home who cannot settle their children into bed at 8:45 p.m. because it is still "light out" !
November , 2008 cannot come quick enough , and as they use to say in Old Chicago politics ..."vote early and often" and perhaps we can rid ourselves of " Mitch the *itch " as easily as his road proposal !

*= B
a sad commentary

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Mar 25, 2007
well it's back to business as usual nothing to look forward to but farmers getting thier way. Indiana was on the verge of becoming a player but with the out pouring of the nimbys crying they won again. When will the people in Indiana wake up that we have a great Governor who can clearly see the future and economic viability. Are we going to become the Detroit of the south where $200,000 homes are selling $40,000? Wake up Indiana farms are a commodity and we can grow all the crops we want and need look at the vacant land that is not planted. This road meant JOBS JOBS JOBS!!!
P Stone

Auburn Hills, MI

#6 Mar 25, 2007
The refusal of people to be open to change is why the economy in this state is failing.
Steve

Fort Thomas, KY

#7 Mar 25, 2007
I guess this was inevitable, but it really gets tiring. People in this state always demand change and progress, yet when any is proposed or planned, they scream and cry. I wonder how many people drive along the roads and highways we currently have "mourning" for the former property owners whose land the road crossed? People, if all you want is what we have, and no more, fine, but stop complaining that Indiana is falling behind.
SMALL GOVT

AOL

#8 Mar 25, 2007
PLAN C IS....BEND OVER
Steve

Fort Thomas, KY

#9 Mar 25, 2007
And by the way, Mitch Daniels is beyond question the best Governor this has had in decades. Leading is not about giving "the people" what they want. It is about doing the best thing looking at the long term. The kindergarten mentality in our society is killing us. "Waaaa! I don't want a school uniform! My pants fit fine around my knees! Waaa! It's dark when I wake up sometimes! Waaa!"
Michael

Newburgh, IN

#10 Mar 25, 2007
One wonders...will Mass Transit be the answer or is it just another ploy by those in central Indiana to stop I69. I, as one Indiana citizen, do not beleive that one cent should be spent on improving roads or access elsewhere until southern Indiana has the same access to the capitol as every other section of the state.
CHANGE

AOL

#11 Mar 25, 2007
Well The CRY BABIES won
A GREAT idea for a GREAT STATE down the drain

MY MAN MITCH!! YOU ROCK!!!
about time

Crawfordsville, IN

#12 Mar 25, 2007
Indiana was on the verge of TOTALLY GETTING PLAYED! Run this road through Carmel, Geist, Fishers, Noblesville and all of Mitches rich friends properties if they want this road so bad.

Where are all the Major Moves jobs?

Show me !
Bill V

New Berlin, IL

#13 Mar 25, 2007
We have similar problems in southeastern Indiana. Buckeyes move out our way from Cincinnati, etc., for a "country" way of life. Then after a few years, they are crying foul when someone else wants to build a house just like they had done a few years earlier. Our county in particular, needs additional roads and infrastructure, but it never gets built because '60 something retirees don't want to solve these problems, but just pass transportation issues, etc. down to the next generation, all the while the costs skyrocket to solve these issues. I'm no great fan of roads, highways, etc., but growth is inevitable in our state. At least lets do something besides hide our head in the sand. At least Daniels tried.
Wally

Saint Petersburg, FL

#14 Mar 25, 2007
a sad commentary wrote:
well it's back to business as usual nothing to look forward to but farmers getting thier way. Indiana was on the verge of becoming a player but with the out pouring of the nimbys crying they won again. When will the people in Indiana wake up that we have a great Governor who can clearly see the future and economic viability. Are we going to become the Detroit of the south where $200,000 homes are selling $40,000? Wake up Indiana farms are a commodity and we can grow all the crops we want and need look at the vacant land that is not planted. This road meant JOBS JOBS JOBS!!!
This is naive thinking. Regardless of what you may believe, but Farming is what Indiana is all about.
Winston

AOL

#15 Mar 25, 2007
Oh, how sorry we are that Mitch's plan to spread a lot of public money to his millionaire accomplices is stopped. And yes, make a few slimy remarks about farmers who would not toe the Republican line.

This road was about enriching a lot of wealthy special interests. It was not about JOBS, JOBS, JOBS no matter how much Mitch's lock step followers talk.

My Millionaire Man Mitch is all about outsourcing, lowering wages for the middle class, and seeing that those in his wealthy class are taken care of.

JOBS? I'll believe Mitch knows about jobs when he starts showing up for publicity photos when jobs are lost because of his encouraging outsourcing and sending our jobs to foreign countries.
Bill

Ft Mitchell, KY

#16 Mar 25, 2007
Some people have no vision.
Public 1 - Privatizers 0

Carmel, IN

#17 Mar 25, 2007
A BAD idea from the beginning that could have been avoided if the people of Indiana had been informed before the "special interest groups" got a running start.
If this is not "posturing for a stronger position" then I commend Governor Daniels for listening to the voting public.
Governor Daniels should direct INDOT to quit planning new roads and instead improve traffic flow on the ones we have. Michigan does a MUCH better job with "limited access" state highways. INDOT take notice - adding poorly timed stoplights should never be a solution to traffic congestion.
Bill

Ft Mitchell, KY

#18 Mar 25, 2007
mike321zero wrote:
Daniels is horrible. Plus, he isn't gay-friendly. Neither is Eugene White with his crazy school uniforms. LEAVE THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS ALONE! THEY ARE FINE!
Now Matthew Tully, he's my kind of man, if you know what I mean.
You are a zero.
Bill

Ft Mitchell, KY

#19 Mar 25, 2007
freedom1776 wrote:
I have one question? What's he up to now? Sorry Mitch, but you don't stand a chance in a re-election bid. I guess the people of Indiana aren't so naive after all! It was the crowds of people at local meetings that defended our right to property and freedom. Thank You to the great American People of Indiana! The land belongs to the people!!!!!!!!! Make your run for office in another State!!!!!
Yeah, a state that wants progress and isn't backwards.
Marie Antionette

AOL

#20 Mar 25, 2007
Steve wrote:
And by the way, Mitch Daniels is beyond question the best Governor this has had in decades. Leading is not about giving "the people" what they want. It is about doing the best thing looking at the long term. The kindergarten mentality in our society is killing us. "Waaaa! I don't want a school uniform! My pants fit fine around my knees! Waaa! It's dark when I wake up sometimes! Waaa!"
You are so right, Steve. Who is this rabble scum who dare to tell us, the nobility, what is best? We will decide what is the best thing for the long term. This rabble will not even wear their pantaloons properly.

I always told you this democracy thing was not what God ordained.

Long live our sovereign Lord Mitch! Down with the smelly rabble!
Lisa

Louisville, KY

#21 Mar 25, 2007
Dropping the road plan will actually increase the brain drain in Indiana. This road would have attracted much needed business and would have kept our children in the state to work (at jobs that paid better than minimum wage). We are now another decade behind the nation and moving farther behind quicker.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilkinson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
karen 9 hr lol 3
Tired of the trash Jun 27 hmmmmm 13
Questions Jun 24 Big Dong 3
Lorri Egan (Oct '15) Jun 24 bull 8
bye bye knightstown Jun 21 good 2
drama got you fired from your job part2 (Oct '15) Jun 20 isiz 25
Puppies in the area? Jun 16 Soyouknow 2

Wilkinson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance