Group fighting to rename Indianapolis...

Group fighting to rename Indianapolis Airport

There are 14 comments on the WISH-TV 8 Indiana News story from May 14, 2008, titled Group fighting to rename Indianapolis Airport. In it, WISH-TV 8 Indiana News reports that:

For over three decades the Indianapolis International Airport has been a household name for Hoosiers, but prior to 1976 it was known as Weir Cook.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WISH-TV 8 Indiana News.

DanielT

Indianapolis, IN

#1 May 14, 2008
I think that to rename the Indianapolis airport or incorporate the old name of Weir Cook airport should show respect to the fighting Hero as it was named after i think it should be renamed in honer of the Vetren who died in combat should be renamed with resepct to the death of a fighting hero killed in action. Thank you.
DanielT
flyboy

Indianapolis, IN

#3 May 14, 2008
it's time we stood up to the airport authoity board,they seem to render themselves "untouchable"!i'd be willing to bet if a large corporation threw a few $$ their way,they would name it whatever the "donor" requested!!!let's remember our heros/veterans/pioneers and keep our hoosier heritage intact!
Stephen Mikesell

Indianapolis, IN

#4 May 27, 2008
I grew up with the airport named Weir Cook and used the airport when I joined the Air Force and when I left to go overseas. I alway thought of the airport as Weir Cook and feel it should be named that.
Paul

Fishers, IN

#5 May 27, 2008
Indianapolistan might work. Just ask the 'holier than thou' who now are getting footbaths.
Sara

Indianapolis, IN

#6 May 27, 2008
Oh just leave it be. So every 32 years is the name going to change? I hope the board says no to changing the name if they get a hearing.
Sown Oats

Indianapolis, IN

#7 May 27, 2008
Watch what you wish for. Knowing the recent track record of naming streets, etc in Indy, it could be named "Dr. Eugene G. White International"
name

Noblesville, IN

#8 May 27, 2008
If you really want to honor the man plan a small privately funded memorial at the airport.More people would learn the history of the man this way.Please do not tie up money on someting that has very little value such as the name of an airport.
Dwight Smith

Circleville, OH

#9 May 27, 2008
Born and bred a Hoosier, in Wilkinson Indiana, H. Weir Cook was a pioneer in the development and use of aircraft. Weir Cook earned the rating of Ace in U.S. military aircraft in France during WWI. He piloted with along with Eddie Rickenbacker, and the famed Hat in the Ring 94th Aero Squadron. Indianapolis is recognized as the origination site of the first US Air Mail flight. Weir Cook was one of the first pilots carrying air mail. Weir Cook was co-founder of one of the first commercial aviation enterprises in the country, right here in Indianapolis. Col. Cook promoted teaching of the concepts of flight through his syndicated radio series on station WLW in the early 1930s. H Weir Cook was responsible for the selection of the original site location for the airport in Indianapolis. Weir Cook served as aviation advisor to Indiana State Government.

Col Harvey Weir Cook lost his life at age 52, while piloting a US Army P-40, as a Squadron Commander in the south Pacific theater. The original decision on March 28 1944 to name the Indianapolis Airport in honor of Weir Cook was appropriate, and well justified. That was a good decision.

Weir Cook stands as an icon for aviation pioneering, and he certainly qualified as a defender of our nation. President Calvin Cooledge opined “The nation which forgets it’s defenders will itself be forgotten”.. Unfortunately, in 1976, a decision was made to intentionally forget H. Weir Cook. That decision was a serious insult to the memory of a fallen hero, and to his family. That decision sent a message to the families of many of our nations defenders that conscious decisions to forget were OK. That action was NOT OK then, and is s NOT OK now. That was a bad decision.

The project to restore respect to the memory of H. Weir Cook in prominence at the Indianapolis airport has been ongoing since before 2001. Many civic leaders, many citizens, and many veterans and service organizations support the premise that restoration of the Weir Cook name to prominence at the airport needs to be done.

I ask all to support action to restore the respect and honor of the memory of Harvey Weir Cook.
brett

Indianapolis, IN

#10 May 27, 2008
we should not forget our heroes
MRS B

United States

#11 May 27, 2008
It might be a mouthful, but combining the names would help honor a Hoosier native hero Weir Cook and show pride in our state capital and maybe please more people. (Weir Cook Indianapolis) Otherwise, keep the current name and estabish a memoral garden or name an airport buidling Weir Cook. Consider what they did in Florida; Cape Canaveral and Cape Kennedy and back again to Cape Canaveral. We can't go changing the name at every whim.

Since: Jan 08

Indianapolis, IN

#12 May 27, 2008
sure, we should honor him. But there are literally hundreds of great indiana pilots it could be named after. I suggest a nice memorial to all famous indiana piliots at the airport, but keep the name as is.
Sandy Van Vlymen

Noblesville, IN

#13 May 27, 2008
The airport's name was changed back in the 1970's because pilots not familiar with it couldn't easily look up its name in their books so it was changed to Indianapolis International so they could find it.
Perhaps it should be renamed Indianapolis Weir-Cook Airport to satisfy both needs.
Sandy Van Vlymen

Noblesville, IN

#14 May 27, 2008
The airport's name was changed back in the 70's because pilots who weren't familiar with its name couldn't find the name of it in their books. Naming it Indianapolis International made it obvious and easy for them.
Perhaps we could appease both by renaming it Indianapolis Weir-Cook Airport.
yorel

Clayton, IN

#15 May 27, 2008
They have Dulles, Kennedy, and O'Hare. Why can't we honor a hoosier?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilkinson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Three bodies found in southern Henry County home Aug 28 Missyou 1
tawaina smalley Aug 26 yeah 6
Chief Baker (Jan '14) Aug 24 Lava Sunflower 37
Jessica craig Aug 19 Lava Sunflower 52
Wheel Aug 6 WTD 3
corner of pine and madison in knightstown Jul '15 Crazy lady 11
The Gorman Sisters Jul '15 Crazy lady 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wilkinson Mortgages