Group fighting to rename Indianapolis...

Group fighting to rename Indianapolis Airport

There are 31 comments on the WISH-TV 8 Indiana News story from May 13, 2008, titled Group fighting to rename Indianapolis Airport. In it, WISH-TV 8 Indiana News reports that:

For over three decades the Indianapolis International Airport has been a household name for Hoosiers, but prior to 1976 it was known as Weir Cook.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WISH-TV 8 Indiana News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

Carmel, IN

#22 May 14, 2008
Here is a thought, why not Eddie Rickenbacker?

Edward Vernon Rickenbacker (October 8, 1890 – July 27, 1973) was an American fighter ace in World War I and Medal of Honor recipient. He was also a race car driver and automotive designer, a government consultant in military matters and a pioneer in air transportation. During his lifetime, Rickenbacker worked with many influential civilian and military leaders. He had keen insight into technology, and vision for future improvements.
(Wikipedia)

Not only that he participated in 4 Indianapolis 500s and owned the Speedway from 1927 until 1945.
Regular Jo

Lake Mary, FL

#23 May 14, 2008
Who cares
Simon Bichiler

United States

#24 May 14, 2008
WHAT wrote:
Indianapolis Weir Cook Airport
I like this one. You're 'wright', it will always be "Weir Cook" and people not familiar with Indianapolis just need to know it. We do get a lot of traffic in & out, through the airport. Think of all the conventions and business meetings and the games...Wow! People see the new airport first, then the new stadium jumps in their face as they are coming in I-70, and they want to come back! Give 'em a name to remember!!!
INDIANAPOLIS WEIR COOK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Return name

United States

#25 May 14, 2008
I agree, I grew up calling the Airport
Weir Cook. I think it should be returned to Indianapolis Weir Cook.
Unavailable

Indianapolis, IN

#26 May 14, 2008
The majority of large airports are named for the city they are located in not a veteran. If it is that important, supporters should name their local municiple airport after the veteran that lived there. Indianapolis is not been a municiple airport for a long time.
veteran

Indianapolis, IN

#27 May 14, 2008
The BOD said: "the name should more clearly reflect the identity of our city and the capital of our state. That name remains in place today for the same reason."

Don't anybody tell Illinois about this or they would change O'Hare to Illinois Int. Airport.
Nancy

Indianapolis, IN

#28 May 14, 2008
Indianapolis Weir Cook Airport. Shouldn't that please us all?
noway

Greenwood, IN

#29 May 14, 2008
This is NOT newsworthy!
Uncle Munchie

Carmichael, CA

#32 May 14, 2008
Isn't it odd that there is no Chicago International Airport, nor a New York International Airport. The yuppies of the metroplex seem to think that the name, Indianapolis, is really something special.
LETS BE HEARD

Kennard, IN

#41 May 15, 2008
First THANK YOU the people who see & agree with "Restoring" & keeping the honor of Col. Cook "were not trying to renaming the airport"-Thanks!
The real story of coarse is how this all happened. People then people now trying to keep up with the next was doing this in their mind for the future but not THINKING of what they were doing with our History-we get that. HOW they did it is the worst! They did it in a coward way...they did the change one day, told the city board the next leaving them hung out to dry with the publics crying out. If it wasn't for the city "the people wouldn't of had a voice". The people were somewhat okay with the change BUT they wanted to keep WEIR COOK with Indianapolis International although little to late the airport board was not hearing of it.
Today we are saying again "LET THE PEOPLE BE HEARD" give them thirr meeting. Now is the time since they are building a "NEW AIRPORT" they now have a chance to write a wrong that was done to the very person they want to fly. RESTORE COOKS NAME! Bring back history to the Indiana people!
Please help us CALL the airport, call the Mayors office, he elects a few on the board, call the City Councial- TEL THEM WE WANT TO BE HEARD! It's your God given right to speak, Bless our military!
LETS BE HEARD

Kennard, IN

#42 May 15, 2008
Eddie Rickenbacker-Roscoe Turner and many more helped to get the name Weir Cook up at the midfield. They were all great friends & wanted it Weir Cook Airport. They were on the dedication committee or dignitary at the deadication. They flew out to Hancock Co. to visit & fly with Col. Cook. I bet they weren't happy like other living friends of Cooks about the total name change-we'll never know? I do know 5 that were taught to fly by Cook were fighting to bring back Cooks name up till their death in 2003.
Drift wrote:
Here is a thought, why not Eddie Rickenbacker?
Edward Vernon Rickenbacker (October 8, 1890 – July 27, 1973) was an American fighter ace in World War I and Medal of Honor recipient. He was also a race car driver and automotive designer, a government consultant in military matters and a pioneer in air transportation. During his lifetime, Rickenbacker worked with many influential civilian and military leaders. He had keen insight into technology, and vision for future improvements.
(Wikipedia)
Not only that he participated in 4 Indianapolis 500s and owned the Speedway from 1927 until 1945.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilkinson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jay Stearns 22 hr Whocares 10
Knightstown a good place to live? (Oct '11) Sat nodramajusttruth 15
neighborhood watchdog Feb 20 Imlovinit 2
courtney white Feb 18 lol 12
Brookelyn Carr Feb 15 leaveit 1
The hamburler autumn Cole Feb 13 Gross 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Sep '16 Truth 95

Wilkinson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wilkinson Mortgages