Group fighting to rename Indianapolis...

Group fighting to rename Indianapolis Airport

There are 31 comments on the WISH-TV 8 Indiana News story from May 13, 2008, titled Group fighting to rename Indianapolis Airport. In it, WISH-TV 8 Indiana News reports that:

For over three decades the Indianapolis International Airport has been a household name for Hoosiers, but prior to 1976 it was known as Weir Cook.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WISH-TV 8 Indiana News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ken Glass

Indianapolis, IN

#1 May 13, 2008
Dulles and LaGuardia hasn't seemed to hurt those airports, so how could it hurt to honor the tradition that is
Weir Cook I nternational Airport ( the code would no doubt remain IND)
Common Sense

Indianapolis, IN

#2 May 13, 2008
The name should stay Indianapolis Airport. Let's not give it a name that people traveling to Indianapolis will find difficult to remember.

Thankfully no-one has tried to name it "Carson airport".
ANON

Edgewood, MD

#3 May 13, 2008
Common Sense wrote:
The name should stay Indianapolis Airport. Let's not give it a name that people traveling to Indianapolis will find difficult to remember.
I lived in Indy for 6 months in the mid 50's and it will always be Weir Cook to me. How could you ever forget a name like that?
Phil

Lebanon, IN

#4 May 13, 2008
Is the Orville Write you are talking about the brother to Wilbur Write??? The name is Wright...as in Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton.
Gabe

Circleville, OH

#5 May 13, 2008
It's Orville "Wright". The "Wright brothers."
Spell Checker

Chicago, IL

#6 May 13, 2008
Megan,

Write is wrong... It's Wright.... Remember History 101??
Doug Hunt - Brownsburg

Columbus, IN

#7 May 13, 2008
Great idea! How about Weir Cook International at Indianapolis?

Since: Mar 08

Carmel, IN

#8 May 13, 2008
Common Sense wrote:
Give it time. Andre will earmark the cash for it.
John in Westfield

Marysville, OH

#9 May 13, 2008
How about Weir Cook field?
Mac

Lebanon, IN

#10 May 13, 2008
ANON wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived in Indy for 6 months in the mid 50's and it will always be Weir Cook to me. How could you ever forget a name like that?
Hey, easy with that comment of yours, don't give them any ideas.
Mac

Lebanon, IN

#11 May 13, 2008
Sorry ANON my comment was meant for Common Sense and the Carson comment
Scott W

Redwood City, CA

#12 May 13, 2008
I say - leave it alone.
Changing the name would undoubtedly end up on a tax bill somewhere.
Bob H

United States

#13 May 13, 2008
Orville WHO??? The most famous aviator in history and WISHTV doesn't have an idea of how to spell Wright's name right. I think you owe Mr Wright an apology.

Since: Mar 08

Carmel, IN

#14 May 14, 2008
the Wrights already have Wright Patterson Air Force Base.
Jennifer Brock

Virginia Beach, VA

#15 May 14, 2008
The spelling of Orville is Wright not Write. This was in the post two times. Just thought the editor would have noticed this.
WHAT

Indianapolis, IN

#16 May 14, 2008
Indianapolis Weir Cook Airport
ardie

United States

#17 May 14, 2008
there is absolutely no justifiable reason to have re-named weir cook airport. his name should always be on the nameplates. RENAME IT WEIR COOK NOW------------
keno

Noblesville, IN

#18 May 14, 2008
Weir Cook! Indiana's finest. A true hoosier hero. A man that served under 2 great Commander n chiefs, Franklin Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson. A man that fought real evil doers and not just for political gain but for all Americans. Yes Weir Cook. A name that beset an elementary school in my home town and now I know why. His generation knew of sacrifice. When he went to war so did the nation! When he died a nation did not grieve but a state adopted his name to an establishment, so that we would not forget. But we did. During the 50s we had a police action where 50,000 Americans died so Hyundai's could be driven on Eisenhowers roads. During the sixties we saw how Nixon proposed getting out of Vietnam with a covert and illegal invasion of Cambodia and yet during this time some how we prospered. Today we are no different. We want our I pods! Our cable tv. Our abortions and our new multi million dollar church while our very well paid enlisted service members are fighting another polical war for the profits of the rich. And who is that cnc? Well any one can tell you that 4 out of 10 top housing markets and economies today are in one state! Texas! If we name the airport after that or any other republican it better be Bob Knight airport. He went to Texas some years ago!
Kim

Oxford, IN

#20 May 14, 2008
We can name any sports facility for their sponsor but can't name the airport for a veteran? Nice sellout Indy!
Rick

United States

#21 May 14, 2008
Did Chicago rename O'hare to Chicago International?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilkinson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Send donations to 18 hr Bert 1
News Terre Haute holds vigil for Charlottesville fol... Aug 14 Brad Doan 2
kristina mae blevins Aug 11 R 1
courtney white (Feb '17) Aug 9 J 34
lol lol. mind ya biz Aug 2 TwG 2
Poor perfoming afternoon crew @ quickpix Aug 1 LMAO 44
Leah Calloway Jul 24 agree 4

Wilkinson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance