Family Of McDonald's Shooting Spree Victim Sues

There are 19 comments on the KDKA story from Oct 12, 2007, titled Family Of McDonald's Shooting Spree Victim Sues. In it, KDKA reports that:

The family of a University of Pittsburgh student who was killed in a shooting spree more than seven years ago at a McDonald's in Wilkinsburg is suing the restaurant.Emil Sanielevici, 20, was shot by Ronald ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KDKA.

MIKE_S

Coraopolis, PA

#1 Oct 13, 2007
sue McDonalds for what? are we ready to put armed security guards in booths outside the drive thru window? Is this what the prosecuting attorneys are going for?-- what a joke. Imagine now for just a moment -- 99 cent burgers would be 2.50, big macs would go to 4.00...TO COVER THE COSTS OF POLICE/SECURITY ---come on >>>this is just about as retarded as the lady who sued (AND WON ) remember the hot coffee incident? That was a ridiculous lawsuit, but she won EVEN THOUGH UH HELLO...COFFEE IS HOT, and I'm sure it cost McDonalds millions to reprint all their coffee cups with a "hot coffee warning", now someone wants to sue them cause there was a murder at a drive thru? OH BROTHER you know who will see the end costs IF THAT should happen?( the good'ole customers ) HOW ABOUT THIS: LETS SUE THE CITY OF PITTSBURGH FOR EACH AND EVERY MURDER THERE IS EVERY DAY, SINCE THERE ARE NOT 250,000 POLICEMEN ON THE FORCE TO BE THERE 24/7 EVERYWHERE THERE IS A PUBLIC PLACE-- LOLOL I WONDER IF THE FAMILY'S OF MURDER VICTIMS WOULD WIN A CASE LIKE THAT -- HAHAHA
James

Connellsville, PA

#2 Oct 13, 2007
They knew it was a dangerous location because they had security there in the past. They got rid of it to save money. When a company knowingly and willfully ignores somthing dangerous related to their product, then they are negligent.

Imagine if they removed security from a Steelers game altogether and someone went on a drunken rampage as they often do. It's the same thing.

Since: Sep 07

UK

#3 Oct 14, 2007
It's not McDonald's fault that this happened. Are you going to go around all the other stores in that area see if they also have security? I think not. It is absolutley pathetic and stupid that they are sueing. I'm sorry that they lost a loved one, but have they lost their common sense too? That killing could have been done anywhere, it just so happened to be there. If I saw this family I'd tell them to stop trying to get money out of a company that is totally innocent to the case.
MIKE_S

Coraopolis, PA

#4 Oct 14, 2007
James wrote:
They knew it was a dangerous location because they had security there in the past. They got rid of it to save money. When a company knowingly and willfully ignores somthing dangerous related to their product, then they are negligent.
Imagine if they removed security from a Steelers game altogether and someone went on a drunken rampage as they often do. It's the same thing.
<<< james, you are correct about the " used to be security there but no longer to save money", BUT your missing the point here completely!!!!!. The point is this was a random shooting that happens every day/everywhere, so why is Mcdonalds responsible? ARE YOU RESPONSIBLE AND CAN BE SUED IF I SHOOT SOMEONE ON YOUR GRASS? Can the family of the murder victim sue YOU just cause it happened on YOUR property? Let's say they DID have a security guard there for a moment..ok--- would he have been able to stop the shooting unless he was outside standing gun drawn all day long (waiting) for a shooter??<<< naw, that stuff just dosen't happen. The victim was randomly murdered, and nothing NOTHING McDonalds could have done as far as security would have helped period.
Dex

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Oct 16, 2007
The Shooter was INSIDE the restaurant when this took place, he fired out of the drive-thru window striking the victim in the head. Just prior to this happening he shot the manager in the face behind the counter of the restaurant, had an off-duty police officer been in the restaurant as had been in the past, the likelyhood of this escalating to the point it did would be very low.

UK

#6 Oct 17, 2007
Dex wrote:
The Shooter was INSIDE the restaurant when this took place, he fired out of the drive-thru window striking the victim in the head. Just prior to this happening he shot the manager in the face behind the counter of the restaurant, had an off-duty police officer been in the restaurant as had been in the past, the likelyhood of this escalating to the point it did would be very low.
i'm a manager. i can't imagine that I'd calmly walk up to the guy holding a gun and ask him to kindly put it down/hand it over. AND you just shot yourself in the foot. Are the police about to ask an OFF DUTY officer to stay in maccies while he's OFF DUTY. I highly doubt it. Even an on-duty officer, do you see the likelyhood of putting an officer in every area that is likely to have shooters around? I doubt that too. If anyone is to blame, blame the guy himself for shooting someone, blame the other guy who sold him the gun. Blame the guy who was shot for giving the shooter a motive. So what if it was McDonald's. It could have happened anywhere anytime. Next you'll want to do a court case for someone's kid being too loud when it's your own.

I swear, all the sueing that's going on in the world is getting out of hand.
rod

Herndon, VA

#7 Oct 19, 2007
sue over a hot cup of coffee and win, is the origin of this and many other frivolous lawsuits. Government has to put a end to this. Maybe MacDonald's should counter sue the guy's family for not feeding him before he went out. Lawyers are just legal criminals.
AFad

UK

#8 Oct 21, 2007
Meh who really care's I say to the family take all they can from mcdonalds until they are bankrupt.

UK

#9 Oct 21, 2007
AFad wrote:
Meh who really care's I say to the family take all they can from mcdonalds until they are bankrupt.
Great idea einstein. Then that will put thousands of people out of work.
AFad

UK

#10 Oct 22, 2007
Boo fooking Hoo, now theres your problem "Einstein" you have just associated Mcdonalds with 'real' work, I think the millions of masses who want Mcdonalds to crumble would be more than happy than the few thousand slightly annoyed teenagers who have just lost a job they wanted to quit a year ago anyway.
I think what would be more pathetic for you to do right now is actually define Mcdonalds as a brilliant job, so shut your whine hole, its to full of moronic ideology's and Mcdonald's propaganda, and since you have made it clear your a manager its not like you have to worry about anything at all especially the welfare of your employee's.
But you did have a point about sueing but when your a corporate superpower (not that I have anything against capitalism) who care's about maximizing profits and cutting loose end's who give's a shit if they loose money, a loose rumor I heard is that the big cheese in charge earns 13 million dollars a year, I'm sure its loose change.

UK

#11 Oct 23, 2007
AFad wrote:
Boo fooking Hoo, now theres your problem "Einstein" you have just associated Mcdonalds with 'real' work, I think the millions of masses who want Mcdonalds to crumble would be more than happy than the few thousand slightly annoyed teenagers who have just lost a job they wanted to quit a year ago anyway.
I think what would be more pathetic for you to do right now is actually define Mcdonalds as a brilliant job, so shut your whine hole, its to full of moronic ideology's and Mcdonald's propaganda, and since you have made it clear your a manager its not like you have to worry about anything at all especially the welfare of your employee's.
But you did have a point about sueing but when your a corporate superpower (not that I have anything against capitalism) who care's about maximizing profits and cutting loose end's who give's a shit if they loose money, a loose rumor I heard is that the big cheese in charge earns 13 million dollars a year, I'm sure its loose change.
I'm hardly saying that McDonalds is a fantastic job, but I'm also saying that we do have customers who genuinely enjoy the whole "McDonald's experience". As for your assumption about the 'real' job, it is in my case. Sure, for many of the employees it is a stepping stone for their careers in other jobs, even the military accepts that McDonalds is a hard working job that can produce 'real' workers.
AFad

UK

#12 Oct 23, 2007
I can appreciate you never bit back and you have a down to earth point, its said that Mcdonalds is the second most stressful job in england, and possibly one of the lowest paid, it makes me angry sometimes thinking it even has to be a stepping stone in life and I feel sympathy for those I know who have been working there for 4-5 even 30 years of their life, its common for them to live on such a poor wage and drift around doing the same thing day in day out, I'm glad I don't have to work there anymore, kitchen staff are probably the most shouted at, most disrespected, most miserable lot of 'land lubbers' in existence and all of them blow their money on booze no doubt to forget where they work.

Since: Mar 07

Ontario, Canada

#13 Oct 23, 2007
Poor wages? What planet are you living on? We have a few crew who have been around for 18, 20, 25 years and they're making almost $17 an hour. That seems more than fair for the "flipping burgers" profession.
AFad

UK

#14 Oct 24, 2007
this is england pal, were on minimum wage, 17 dollars is 8.50 and no, the only way you earn that is by sucking your manager's.. yeah, that wage is non existent Iv read the hand book, maximum you can earn here is 7.25 an hour thats IF you have an immaculate PR, your over 21 and have been promoted to staff trainer, even our mangers are on shit wage's its pathetic, the housing rates are so shit in england 7 pound an hour on 40 hours a week = roughly 13 grand a year, to run a house, your car and your expensive girlfriend is at least 30 thats IF you don't pay taxes or feed for the year.

UK

#15 Oct 24, 2007
AFad wrote:
this is england pal, were on minimum wage, 17 dollars is 8.50 and no, the only way you earn that is by sucking your manager's.. yeah, that wage is non existent Iv read the hand book, maximum you can earn here is 7.25 an hour thats IF you have an immaculate PR, your over 21 and have been promoted to staff trainer, even our mangers are on shit wage's its pathetic, the housing rates are so shit in england 7 pound an hour on 40 hours a week = roughly 13 grand a year, to run a house, your car and your expensive girlfriend is at least 30 thats IF you don't pay taxes or feed for the year.
He's right, unless you are going waaaay up in the chain, you aren't going to get a fantastic quality of life (nice car, big house, expensive jewelry, expensive holidays etc). But it is ideal for me at the moment to use it to generally save up money while I'm still young. I don't see it as a life long career, although if the pay-rate were to change, I might.
AFad

UK

#16 Oct 26, 2007
Hehe cheer's but still if the pay rate where to change and it wont I still wouldn't work there full time, I mean.. its horrible work at the end of the day Bin men earn more than me and actually enjoy their job. Tis a cynical world we live in and PLUS driveby's happen whats up with that :P

Since: Mar 07

Ontario, Canada

#17 Oct 26, 2007
It's not cynical. McDonald's is one of the few places of employment that allows you to pick your hours to work. Other places will put you on a set schedule and you work the same shifts every week, or don't give you many hours.

McDonald's is the ideal job for anyone looking to pick their hours.
Awayatwork

Frisco, TX

#18 Oct 26, 2007
Attorney Romel Nicholas....You are a piece of shit. You are the problem with this country. You can give a shit less about the victim and only care about putting the green in your pocket. If you care soooo much, put all the money (your cut) into a memorial fund for the victim's family. Ya, I didn't think so. Of all the attorney dirt bags in Allegheny County, you take the cake.
AFad

UK

#19 Oct 27, 2007
Yeah yeah pick the hours you work thats fantastic if the system actually worked, and it only allows you to have this small freedom because the employee's still work the hours but 'feel' free, and whats wrong with a set schedule? I would either be working 9 - 5 for 5 days a week (which they didnt allow me to do), than 5:30am - 2pm one day then 2pm - 10pm the next which typically is my schedule oh and in the place I used to work it was okay for them to just add hours here and there to my working days 1 day before it happens, or simply cut out big chunks of hours if they felt you wernt worth them, or refusing me time off when I wanted 1 month before it was to happen. So why don't you take that advantage and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilkinsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trade Institute celebrates move to new, larger ... Apr 27 lakeesha 4
Susan Evashavik DiLucente (May '09) Apr 20 RayRay1819 21
Magistrate Ross Cioppa (Jun '07) Apr 15 Unloadthescum 74
Buying a house in North Braddock. Hoping to hel... Mar '15 patrol 4
heads up Mar '15 just the facts 2
News 3 shot in North Braddock; 1 dead Feb '15 cognizant 3
Ross Cioppa (Jan '08) Feb '15 hahaRossibaby 23
More from around the web

Wilkinsburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE