3 police officers in DUI dustup

3 police officers in DUI dustup

There are 28 comments on the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette story from Jan 4, 2007, titled 3 police officers in DUI dustup. In it, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that:

Three police officers from different departments are in varying degrees of trouble following a dispute rooted in the blue code -- the age-old tradition of cops covering for one another.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bob

Saint Clairsville, OH

#1 Jan 21, 2007
Wow, I wish us ordinary citizens could get treatment like that. And they wonder why the general population has no respect for the law. As usual the law only applies to us peasants, a cop has to push his luck to get arrested. Had that been an average civilian acting like that they would have gotten arrested and beat up and no way would they have been left to go home afterwards. Just a sign of the times!
tom

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Jan 25, 2007
Wow, the thing is ordinary citizens don't have to get shot at, spit on and place their lives in harms way every day. I wonder if it's 3am and someone is breaking into your house who will you call....the police and you'll expect them to come and save your butt. That's not to say cops should get away with murder but alittle consideration.. no problem. Sometimes ordinary ciizen's get a warning or a break as well. It is the sign of the times no respect for those who serve and protect us every day!
Bob wrote:
Wow, I wish us ordinary citizens could get treatment like that. And they wonder why the general population has no respect for the law. As usual the law only applies to us peasants, a cop has to push his luck to get arrested. Had that been an average civilian acting like that they would have gotten arrested and beat up and no way would they have been left to go home afterwards. Just a sign of the times!
Bob

Saint Clairsville, OH

#3 Jan 29, 2007
tom wrote:
Wow, the thing is ordinary citizens don't have to get shot at, spit on and place their lives in harms way every day. I wonder if it's 3am and someone is breaking into your house who will you call....the police and you'll expect them to come and save your butt. That's not to say cops should get away with murder but alittle consideration.. no problem. Sometimes ordinary ciizen's get a warning or a break as well. It is the sign of the times no respect for those who serve and protect us every day!
<quoted text>
Tom, Don't try and tell me crap about the police, I was a police officer for 15 years and during that time I saw some of my collegues get away with stuff that you would be doing 10-20 years for. I am not saying that everyone doesn't deserve a second chance but if you were pulled over for DUI and then cussed the officer out then trust me, you would be in jail for DUI, resisting arrest, and disorderly conduct. And if your brother threatened the officer that arrested you he would be sharing your cell for terroristic threats and obstruction of justice. I am not saying there is anything wrong with courtesy but they should get no better break than you or me. In fact they should be held to a higher standard as they are the ones we trust to enforce the laws for the benefit of all. And by the way, I don't need anyone to save my butt, just because I am no longer a policeman does't mean I can't take care of myself and I do respect the officers out there who follow the law whether they agree with it or not. They have a little leeway on the streets but at the end of the day it is not their job to interpret the law as they see fit but to enforce it as it is written. A law is useless and unjust if it is only enforced for the general public and someone sees fit to develop their own elite class that is above the law. I trust that I have more fully explained my position for you.
terrance

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Jan 29, 2007
Why does any of this surpise any one?
Bob

Saint Clairsville, OH

#5 Jan 29, 2007
terrance wrote:
It doesn't suprise me, it disgusts me. I didn't like favoritism when I was a cop and I like it less now. I was not popular with some people in those days because I tried to treat everyone equally, including cops. Sure I might cut someone some slack but it was never because of what someone was or who they were.
passion

Vandergrift, PA

#6 Mar 15, 2007
Bob wrote:
BOB YOU ARE SO RIGHT, I GUESS THE LAW IS SAYING ITS OK FOR US AS POLICE OFFICER TO DRINK AND MURDER SOME ONE. BECAUSE WE ARE THE LAW WE CAN DO THAT . NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO US THE COPS. BECAUSE WE ARE THE LAW.
passion

Vandergrift, PA

#7 Mar 15, 2007
BOB YOU ARE SO RIGHT,I GUESS THE LAW IS SAYING ITS OK FOR US AS POLICE OFFICER TO DRINK AND MURDER SOME ONE BECAUSE WE ARE THE LAW WE CAN DO THAT! WE ARE ABOVE THE LAW & NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO US BECAUSE THE BLUES STICK TOGETHER.
passion

Vandergrift, PA

#8 Mar 15, 2007
tom wrote:
<quoted text>
TOM, GOOD & BAD .
passion

Vandergrift, PA

#9 Mar 15, 2007
TOM GOOD & BAD.
passion

Vandergrift, PA

#10 Mar 15, 2007
terrance wrote:
NOT AT ALL.
Baddbob

Irwin, PA

#11 Apr 29, 2007
passion wrote:
BOB YOU ARE SO RIGHT,I GUESS THE LAW IS SAYING ITS OK FOR US AS POLICE OFFICER TO DRINK AND MURDER SOME ONE BECAUSE WE ARE THE LAW WE CAN DO THAT! WE ARE ABOVE THE LAW & NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO US BECAUSE THE BLUES STICK TOGETHER.
Gee, it is now 4 months later and I haven't heard any more in the news on this story. You don't suppose it got hushed up and swept under the rug do you? Wouldn't that be a suprise!
Baddbob

Irwin, PA

#12 Apr 29, 2007
To anyone interested I have researched court records on this incident and found the following, charges were finally filed on 3/14/07 on Tobias Yuhouse for the following: DUI 1st offense with alcohol level of .16, operating an unregistered vehicle, improper plate on vehicle, no insurance, and disorderly conduct. Apparently it was OK for Doug Yuhouse to threaten police officers even when recorded because there were no charges filed against him. Why it took until march 14th to file charges for an offense that occured on jan 4th is beyond me other than it was planned to be swept under the rug but apparently enough people like us raised enough of a stink that they were forced to do their job!
Once again to clarify things, I am not anti police. I just believe that they deserve the same treatment as everyone else. The offending officer cried that his arrest may cost him his job, well too bad! How many regular citizens have lost their jobs due to being arrested for various charges. It is about time that the public demand that their police live up to the standards that they are paid to make all of us abide by and if they can't then they should lose their jobs!
Joe Friday

Haines City, FL

#13 Apr 29, 2007
Every profession has their skeleton closet. For the cops, its covering up for one another as lushes and fast driving off duty. For the Catholic church, its moving around their army of pedophile priests. So what really? This is common knowledge by history. Outsiders can't do anything about it.

And Tom, no one forces people to take the relatively low pay and danger for being a cop. Cops are mostly the after the fact crew and rarely confront armed gunners. The boys in blue don't want to get there too quick. I don't blame them either at 30 some grand a year. Pass the donut.

Look at the VT massacre thing. Most of the 400 pound deputy dogs I saw were merely forming a late and confused perimeter while hiding behind parked cars and trees with their AKs and Glocks. Pretty bold stuff while paranoid Cho pulled off over 225 rounds. No stugots there, but no blues down and out either. Solidarity baby!

blue liner

Harmony, PA

#14 May 28, 2007
These three police officers are an embarrassment to the law enforcement community. They should have their badges stripped away and be forced to push a mop somewhere to make a living.
RED HEAD

AOL

#15 Jun 2, 2007
are you a janitor ? Mop thing ???
Blue Liner

Natrona Heights, PA

#16 Jun 4, 2007
Majority of the police officers within the Wilkinsburg, Braddock Hills, Rankin, Swissvale should be janitors. At least they would make more money. $9.00 an hour saps.
Junior

United States

#17 Jun 7, 2007
I wouldn't trust them as janitors.
Blue Liner

Curtisville, PA

#18 Jun 7, 2007
Well, the world needs ditch diggers too. Find them some shovels.
Tobias Yuhouse

Greensburg, PA

#19 Oct 17, 2007
Funny the stuff you read when you google your own name! Well as always there are two sides to every story. I'm glad to see everyone that truly knows nothing of my incident is so quick to judge. May god have the same mercy on you come your judgement day. Did I make a poor decision that new years eve? Yes. however the back story involving this incident is what nobody knows and I wasn't allowed to talk about. Well now that i'm no longer a police officer I also have freedom of speech just like you guys right? So as it was I was actually pulled over by this same department 3 or 4 times before this incident. The officer that stopped me this particular night really doesn't like me or I him. He had made the comment that not everyone can make the kind of money I was making as a cop. What noone realizes is this job did not fall into my lap. I busted my rear for 3 1/2 years as a City of Clairton cop before I scored high enough on the county test taken by 1400 people of which they hired 31 of us. Then I busted it some more going thru my second police academy because the county did not accept the first training I attended even though it was the exact same program. I worked in a city where heroin and crack addicts were common nature and a hooker was a daily sight. But you're all right. I didn't deserve a break when the officer came to my window after pulling me over in a parking lot and saying he didn't need my license cause he knew who I was. Then called me a dickhead 3 times. But I'm not supposed to be human and have that type of treatment affect me right? Believe me after being on both sides of the law,being a cop and cutting officers breaks and the regular joe as well, then being treated the way I was.... Not all officers are meant to wear a badge. I have called peoples wives to come get them instead of putting a "normal" person in a situation that I knew they'd regret the next day. Sure enough those same people called the next day and thanked me for not putting them in jail for one random act of stupidity. Not every officer thinks this way and this is part of the reason I excelled at my job.... I WAS HUMAN... not a politically driven robot. Which is what most officers are. But this is a free country and officers have this dirty secret in their back pocket... its called discretion. It is ultimatly up to the officer to decide your fate. Was I wrong? yes. Did i get angry after being called names and stopped for no reason other than they knew who i was? yes. Did I swallow my pride, take my lumps, resign my job, and do what anyone else would have had to do with ARD and fines? yes. I don't regret it either. So, anyone can say what they like....after all we have the 1st admendment...... but get both sides before you jump to conclusions. Thanks, Tobias Yuhouse
White Lightning

Mckeesport, PA

#20 Oct 18, 2007
Tobias- gotta give you credit for telling the other side. I'm not a cop, but I've seen both
sides.Been given my share of breaks & have been
jerked around by the 'Barney Fife' types. I try
to respect police officers, most are good but some spent too much time watching Rambo movies.
Old time cops would break up a little bar fight &
figure the guys were just blowing off a little steam & they would leave. Today they come in wearing Commando sweaters with the shooting patches, fingerless gloves & the buzz haircut with about 30 lbs. of accessories on their belt.
They try so hard to be tough guys, they're kinda funny. They want arrests, tickets & court appearances when a slightly drunk guy walking home, bothering nobody should just be left alone. And sometime it seems the smaller the borough, the more a$$holes in uniform. The streets are mean, you boys stay safe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilkinsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News State police: Woman kicks troopers in head with... (May '11) May 25 notcrazy 56
Slob Fetterman Apr '16 Mon Valley 2
News 6 dead in 'calculated' shooting at backyard par... Mar '16 Al Sharpton 3
Forest Hills elected officials should have term... Mar '16 Anita Wang 2
animals Mar '16 wendybell 4
North Braddock , i loved the place. (Feb '13) Mar '16 philip ortego 3
News Fetterman calls Trump 'jagoff' over Muslim stat... (Dec '15) Mar '16 captin 20
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wilkinsburg Mortgages