What does Wilkinsburg need the most?

Posted in the Wilkinsburg Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Smitty

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Nov 8, 2007
I am trying to find out what we as people of wilkinsburg can do for our community. This could be as small as cleaning up a parking lot/park/etc or as big as raising money for the three-way intersection of Graham Boulevard, Hunter and Laketon roads in Wilkinsburg. I dont live in wilkinsburg so I want to hear from you guys what problems you have. Please keep in mind that me and my team are volunteers and wont have money or equipment to actually, say for example, make a park.
anonymous

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Nov 8, 2007
Bring drug/alcohol/abuse awareness in the society. All the news about wilkinsburg are about crimes. Lets get to gather to bring news about wilkinsburg people doing good stuff or about student achievements

Since: Nov 07

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Nov 9, 2007
I agree with anonymous, but I also think residents need to be taught how to care for their home. Such as lawn care, general home repair. Some kind of class on how to be a good neighbor. Which I'm shockingly finding out a lot of people don't know. We need to find away to get people to have some pride in where they live, that might help crim too.
Former Resident

Ambridge, PA

#4 Nov 10, 2007
Grew up there. It's a shame what happened. Friday nights, you couldn't even walk Penn Ave cause the amount of people there on the sidewalk. It all started when they tied the hands of the Police department and they lost control. Breaks my heart to drive through there.
40 foot fence

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Dec 15, 2007
well you could start by putting a 40 foot wall around the community to protect the neighboring communities from suffering the effects of the drug dealers, thiefs, murderers that eminate from this neighborhood. I dont know who the new district justice is but the old one being gone can only be a great thing. She was a joke as a judge (ask your police) and a disgrace as a human being. The amount of cases she heard that ended up with felons walking out the front door was appalling. Do you seriously think the residents dont know how to take care of their homes-yards, come on. They know how to keep their 22" rims or their mercedes clean. First of all they dont OWN the home or property (for the majority)so what do they care. Also when you wake up at noon in a drug induced haze n smoke a blunt-what do you think is really going to get done. Dont waste your time trying to help this community as so many others have-help keep the one you live in respectable and safe. Leave the shootings and robberies in wilkinsburg. 40' fence!!!

“In F*ckville &you're the mayor”

Since: Jun 07

F*ckville

#6 Dec 20, 2007
The Bomb!
Abandoned Houses

State College, PA

#7 Dec 21, 2007
Almost every home on Rebecca Avenue is abandoned. Quite sad as the architecture is so beautiful and will never be built again.

According to the Allegheny County Assessment website which lists the names of the owners of the homes, it is evident that there are monopolies of house ownership in Wilkinsburg. There are people that own between 20-30 homes, all of which are either abandoned, falling apart, or whose taxes haven't been paid.

I suggest going after these delinquent owners and getting the homes out of their name and try to sell the homes to people who would be willing to restore them. If the home is beyond repair, have the Construction Junction strip out anything salvageable and tear the house down.
40 foot fence

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Dec 26, 2007
Who in their right mind would spend a dime to buy property in that town and why? would you? So the animals can destroy and steal everything you've worked and paid for, rape your wife, steal your car, shoot your kids? I agree there are what are what could be nice homes but why risk your life, your money, your family. This city is infested with welfare recipients who's only real purpose in life is to breed with drug selling murderous thugs-and get more welfare. Which seems to be what the media wants us all to be. Have you made a trip to Wal mart? Just do your food shopping there ONCE! I assure you that you will see your tax dollars filling buggy after buggy with better and more food that you can afford. Then after you stand in line behind one of the fine w.burg "recipients" being subjected to loud cell phone converstaions spoken in what seems to be some form of the english language, just follow them out to the parking lot and watch them load your tax dollars into their escalade sittin on 22's, by the way what kind of honda do you drive?

Since: Dec 07

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 Dec 29, 2007
40 foot fence wrote:
Who in their right mind would spend a dime to buy property in that town and why? would you? So the animals can destroy and steal everything you've worked and paid for, rape your wife, steal your car, shoot your kids? I agree there are what are what could be nice homes but why risk your life, your money, your family. This city is infested with welfare recipients who's only real purpose in life is to breed with drug selling murderous thugs-and get more welfare. Which seems to be what the media wants us all to be. Have you made a trip to Wal mart? Just do your food shopping there ONCE! I assure you that you will see your tax dollars filling buggy after buggy with better and more food that you can afford. Then after you stand in line behind one of the fine w.burg "recipients" being subjected to loud cell phone converstaions spoken in what seems to be some form of the english language, just follow them out to the parking lot and watch them load your tax dollars into their escalade sittin on 22's, by the way what kind of honda do you drive?
I am a general contractor that is looking to rehab several old buildings. I have been researching the area and talking to folks that live there and it has been nothing but positive responses and some prayers are being answered. As an outsider looking in. What I have seen is young men and woman with out jobs and just no vision into their future. All city's in this nation are facing drugs, unemployment, lack of housing for those that need it. I believe that there are people that talk the talk and there are people that walk the walk. Until people get sick of letting the scum take over nothing will be done. And then you have the landlords that don't care about people it is all about money. So it takes action to get them to update the properties, you get that done by working around them by updating homes in the area. Let law enforcement , judges, and code enforcement do their jobs. and before you know it drugs and scum, has to go some where else. Wilkinsburg is on the rise do to the community involvement for improvement. I see building coming down, law enforcement is working with other surrounding cities and believe it or not crime is slowly going down and as improvements increase the area tax money comes available, I see increases in law enforcement. Public officials depend on votes and if they don't produce they will get voted out, that's the bottom line. For all the people that live in this city, I say to you "STAY STRONG and FIGHT FOR YOUR COMMUNITY!" You all rights.

Pittsburgh, PA

#10 Dec 29, 2007
Smitty wrote:
I am trying to find out what we as people of wilkinsburg can do for our community. This could be as small as cleaning up a parking lot/park/etc or as big as raising money for the three-way intersection of Graham Boulevard, Hunter and Laketon roads in Wilkinsburg. I dont live in wilkinsburg so I want to hear from you guys what problems you have. Please keep in mind that me and my team are volunteers and wont have money or equipment to actually, say for example, make a park.
Smity I would like to meet with you somehow I am currently looking in to rehabing some homes I will be looking for workers that are willing to learn how to fix up [email protected]
Real dude

Pittsburgh, PA

#11 Jan 1, 2008
40 foot fence wrote:
well you could start by putting a 40 foot wall around the community to protect the neighboring communities from suffering the effects of the drug dealers, thiefs, murderers that eminate from this neighborhood. I dont know who the new district justice is but the old one being gone can only be a great thing. She was a joke as a judge (ask your police) and a disgrace as a human being. The amount of cases she heard that ended up with felons walking out the front door was appalling. Do you seriously think the residents dont know how to take care of their homes-yards, come on. They know how to keep their 22" rims or their mercedes clean. First of all they dont OWN the home or property (for the majority)so what do they care. Also when you wake up at noon in a drug induced haze n smoke a blunt-what do you think is really going to get done. Dont waste your time trying to help this community as so many others have-help keep the one you live in respectable and safe. Leave the shootings and robberies in wilkinsburg. 40' fence!!!
Sounds like what happens in some housing projects I've researched. Build a fence to keep crime out or keep people you deem criminals in. Another concentration camp suggested by some neo-nazi.I am present in Wilkinsburg and many other disenfranchised communities, especially in the city's east-end.I believe in each one teach one, man's propensity to do right and the good outweighing the bad. These beliefs keep me active and motivated to see change by working on it personally opposed to griping and complaining as far away from the battlefield as possible.In 2008 I see Wilkinsburg's positives being recognized as well as some of the atrocities committed consistantly by people claiming to want to better the neighborhood while simply collecting a pay check for being here.
Real dude

Pittsburgh, PA

#12 Jan 1, 2008
I am working to do as much as possible and will make myself available to others that have it in the heart and mind to revitalize this community.
[email protected]
40 foot fence

Pittsburgh, PA

#13 Jan 5, 2008
neo-nazi huh, if that makes you feel better call me what you like. as far as me deeming them criminals-i call it like i see it. Now in reality we both know your town is infested with welfare recipients who have no desire to better themselves, and drug users and dealers who are happy living the "thug" life who's only goal is to sell enough drugs to buy new 22" rims for their whip. Do you know how many carjackings/shootings/robberie s occur in your town on a weekly basis? I DO! You seem to be a semi intelligent person however you are either in complete denial or totally ignorant to the amount of violent criminals that walk/drive past your house on a minute by minute basis. why dont you go out to your stoop and teach them how to do right-i didnt think so, i hope your smart enough to realise you would get beat/robbed and probably shot for your convictions. you see THATS how it is in your town.
invested

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Jan 6, 2008
hey I bought a house here and am one of those people working to better the neighborhood I sometimes love, sometimes fear. I hear rumors of crimes that are never reported in the papers. Does anyone know how to find out about them? Say, for example, the kids who went on a beating rampage the night before Halloween? Three guys got beaten by pre-teens. I never saw anything in the papers.
40 foot fence

Pittsburgh, PA

#15 Jan 6, 2008
Somehow Braddock P.D. catches a burglar and channel 4 news is on the spot, they catch armed teenage carjackers (2 weeks ago) in your town-no channel 4. Businesses get robbed, people get shot -no channel 4. you tell me how this works, it seems they dont like to report in wilkinsburg/east liberty anymore

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 Jan 6, 2008
invested wrote:
hey I bought a house here and am one of those people working to better the neighborhood I sometimes love, sometimes fear. I hear rumors of crimes that are never reported in the papers. Does anyone know how to find out about them? Say, for example, the kids who went on a beating rampage the night before Halloween? Three guys got beaten by pre-teens. I never saw anything in the papers.
You are the type of person that this city needs. The more homes that get sold and vacant homes filled the better off the city will be. I stoped over to the area I plan to buy in and I found a homeless person in one of the buildings. A 57 year old woman no friends,family to help her, no money,no heat,water,elc,in the building. This woman was in bad shape. I can't help them all yet when someone comes into my life I do my best. God just wants your best and when you give it freely the Lord will shine his face upon you to help again,for he sees your heart.I took the lady to the hospital because that was all I could do. Now she is out of the cold and getting help. When people start seeing good and doing good, things change. I can't wait to get started on rehabing the buildings I hope to get for I will offer jobs to young men and women,and I plan on paying at least $9.00an hour to start.It takes LOVE do build something from nothing! That is what I plan to do. Pride will be reborn. Thats what is needed!Keep on fighting for your block and help your neighbors, walk the streets and take back your town.

Pittsburgh, PA

#17 Jan 6, 2008
40 foot fence wrote:
neo-nazi huh, if that makes you feel better call me what you like. as far as me deeming them criminals-i call it like i see it. Now in reality we both know your town is infested with welfare recipients who have no desire to better themselves, and drug users and dealers who are happy living the "thug" life who's only goal is to sell enough drugs to buy new 22" rims for their whip. Do you know how many carjackings/shootings/robberie s occur in your town on a weekly basis? I DO! You seem to be a semi intelligent person however you are either in complete denial or totally ignorant to the amount of violent criminals that walk/drive past your house on a minute by minute basis. why dont you go out to your stoop and teach them how to do right-i didnt think so, i hope your smart enough to realise you would get beat/robbed and probably shot for your convictions. you see THATS how it is in your town.
Whoever you are - your whats wrong with this country you look at a glass half empty! I look at a glass half full.How do you know what people want? Do you see into their hearts? NO! You see what you want to see. People that see-no hope have no hope. People that see hope, have hope and things change! Why be a part of the problem, be part of the solution. Grow up.
invested

Pittsburgh, PA

#18 Jan 7, 2008
40 foot fence wrote:
Somehow Braddock P.D. catches a burglar and channel 4 news is on the spot, they catch armed teenage carjackers (2 weeks ago) in your town-no channel 4. Businesses get robbed, people get shot -no channel 4. you tell me how this works, it seems they dont like to report in wilkinsburg/east liberty anymore
How did you find out about that? Is there a way to look up police reports online?
40 foot fence

Pittsburgh, PA

#19 Jan 7, 2008
No I dont see into their hearts-and neither do you-are you god? some kind of mindreader? I on the other hand see things for what they are-nothing more nothing less. I dont fool myself or others claiming to know what is going on in another persons heart. maybe YOU have good things inside you, but dont try to fool me into believing that you see into peoples souls-beyond the evil that they do. get real-it may save you your money you are "investing" and more likely your life! I judge people by what they do, yes i JUDGE them and guess what i can spot a drug user/dealer, a mentally and physically sound welfare abuser, mile away and I start to see them about 1 mile away from wilkinsburgh. you think you will be the first to try to help this town? your fooling yourself-but your not fooling me.
$9.00 an hour? and they have to wake up before 11 i assume? bet they will be lining up to work for you, i mean who needs welfare to pay your rent and buy your food when you can make $9.00 an hour! I'm not saying 9.00 an hour is unreasonable but lets be honest, these people would have to work 2 jobs to survive. i work 2 jobs but hey maybe i should just give up any morals and self worth i have and have my rent and food paid for and i can have time to hang out with my "boys" then i could have someone like you look into my heart and fix up my neighborhood for me and give me a fine job too. by the way do you plan on drug testing these people? i guess when you fail-or get killed that will make you a martyr huh?
40 foot fence

Pittsburgh, PA

#20 Jan 7, 2008
try being a cop

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilkinsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fetterman calls Trump 'jagoff' over Muslim stat... Feb 3 Dean Wormer 8
Susan Evashavik DiLucente (May '09) Feb 2 She should be in ... 22
News Expense records sought from Elizabeth Forward b... (May '15) Jan 27 Cornell Poltergeist 26
Buying a house in North Braddock. Hoping to hel... (Mar '15) Jan 21 pgh 8
Dtf Sep '15 Kikboy 1
NB Police Caught Sleeping Twice?? (Dec '11) Aug '15 Kirkpatrick Avenue 76
Greg Seman North Braddock Police Aug '15 Former Councilman 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wilkinsburg Mortgages