Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Carolina in 2010?

Posted in the Wilkesboro Forum

Comments (Page 2,124)

Showing posts 42,461 - 42,480 of54,884
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Ben

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

5 hours ago
Tom Sanford
I am self employed and have an individual policy that costs me $195.72 / month with a $2,000 deductible plus an additional $1,000 out of pocket on a 20%- 80% split, which means that the most I can pay annually would be $5,349.00.

I'm 57 years old and in ridiculously good health. To be sure, some of my good fortune can be attributed to genetics and, of course, luck always plays a part in life. BUT, I work very hard at staying fit, eat right, plenty of exercise etc... This means that I do NOT have a medicine cabinet full of prescription pills for obesity, heart disease, hypertension - high blood pressure, diabetes and all of the other too common ailments plaguing our society today. I do not frequent the doctor for medical procedures or need to be seen for an onslaught of illnesses. At my annual physical my doctor has told me that I am the "best looking physical specimen for my age group that he has seen in months......"

So.... supporters of Obamacare will call my insurance a "catastrophic" plan that only covers me if something really bad happens....that it doesn't have all the bells and whistles needed to be a "real" health care plan..... As a two-time Obama supporter I must side with those on the right they say that this is government over-reach. The right will say that the government doesn't think that I am smart enough to make my own insurance choices, that the government knows what I need better than I do.... I have to say that my friends on the right are absolutely correct in this case..... My plan is absolutely PERFECT for my needs.

I received a cancellation letter from my insurance provider... and under the new ACA guidelines, the closest my insurer can come to my current policy in price is $537.00 / month with a $2,000 deductible plus another $4,200 out of pocket on a 30%- 70% split. So my annual max out of pocket is now a whopping $12,644.or $136% increase. In my case, there is nothing affordable about the Affordable Care Act.

Sadly, Obamacare does nothing to address costs, which is the real problem. The way to fix this is for members from both parties to agree to sit down and hammer out policy that will actually reduce health care costs without jeopardizing the health care industry. Easier said then done obviously, but it can happen if enough concerned Americans make their voices heard. Without pressure from the American people, congress will continue to look out for their own interests instead of ours, to continue to accept money from the lobbyists and corporate interests and just continue with the status quo.

Let's all remember that you don't get the government you want, you get the government you deserve....

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/obama-sell...
Now, THIS guy has guts. His guys plan sux and he admits it.
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Ben wrote:
<quoted text>You didn't fight either pal but my family sure as hell did so save that crap. I have letters from them that tell that bloody story. Blood on envelopes from Pearl. An uncle that left his left leg in Italy. Run.
Although I appreciate your relatives service, you must think that only your relatives served in the wars. BS. My great uncle was killed in Normandy. Don't ever think you are the only family with war victims. Why did you fail to mention Iraq and Afghanastan is your previous loving tribute to the military? Did you just forget those conficts? Or, is it because both of those conflicts are on Herbert Hoover Bush's watch? Afghanatan, I can somewhat understand connected to 911 But Iraq? Tell me how it was worth all those young lives and trillions of dollars.
Ben

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Gays have too many other concerns with you blocking their civil rights by you blocking their right to marriage than for them to be concerned with insurance matters.
Now that is funny. Nice of you to make the decision on how they spend their money.
Ben

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
So, rather than the mother and father involved knowing their own personal reasons to abort, you want the government to make their most personal decision for them?
Why not, it's making every other decision for them.
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Ben wrote:
<quoted text>Now that is funny. Nice of you to make the decision on how they spend their money.
Not as nice as you depriving them of their life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.
Ben

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Although I appreciate your relatives service, you must think that only your relatives served in the wars. BS. My great uncle was killed in Normandy. Don't ever think you are the only family with war victims. Why did you fail to mention Iraq and Afghanastan is your previous loving tribute to the military? Did you just forget those conficts? Or, is it because both of those conflicts are on Herbert Hoover Bush's watch? Afghanatan, I can somewhat understand connected to 911 But Iraq? Tell me how it was worth all those young lives and trillions of dollars.
Never said that and you know it. Didn't have family there, but a dear friend was shot 3 times in the first wave in Iraq. Know several families that have loved one there NOW, on Obama's watch. I would never be so arrogant as to speak for them. They made the CHOICE to sign up and go.
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Ben wrote:
<quoted text>Why not, it's making every other decision for them.
Then you are agreeing with government making their most personal decsision for them?
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Ben wrote:
<quoted text>Never said that and you know it. Didn't have family there, but a dear friend was shot 3 times in the first wave in Iraq. Know several families that have loved one there NOW, on Obama's watch. I would never be so arrogant as to speak for them. They made the CHOICE to sign up and go.
I appreciate their signing up and going. That is not the issue. Your daddy, Herbert Hoover Bush made the decision to send them into that theater, but you are not man enough to own up to it. It's a matter of fact. google it sometime.
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you fail to mention Iraq and Afghanastan is your previous loving tribute to the military? Did you just forget those conficts? Or, is it because both of those conflicts are on Herbert Hoover Bush's watch? Afghanatan, I can somewhat understand connected to 911 But Iraq? Tell me how it was worth all those young lives and trillions of dollars.
Ben, I am waiting for your answer on the great benefit the USA received from the conflict in Iraq.
Ben

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate their signing up and going. That is not the issue. Your daddy, Herbert Hoover Bush made the decision to send them into that theater, but you are not man enough to own up to it. It's a matter of fact. google it sometime.
NO ONE made anyone go to war. That hasn't been done since Nam. Personal choice and being responsible for that choice, I know is a foreign concept for you, kinda like the healthcare thing, which I see is something you and ole Al keep running from, anyway, I don't need to "google" anything. What would you say to the 300,000 people in Ca that just had their policies canceled, "google it"? Run.
Ben

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Ben, I am waiting for your answer on the great benefit the USA received from the conflict in Iraq.
Ask the people of Iraq. Ask Obama, since HE still has troops there.
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Ben wrote:
<quoted text>Ask the people of Iraq. Ask Obama, since HE still has troops there.
No, I am not asking the people of Iraq or Obama, I am asking you and I see that you have no answer. Typical dodge ball Republican.
TSF

Clayton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

NC was a leader in k12 education nationally. Now, these idiot republicans have crippled education. NC was a national leader in R&D. Now these idiots have defunded the Universities by 800 million dollars . They have tried to establish a state religion. They have outlawed science in discussions of sea level rise. They are still attempting to seize Charlotte's airport. They have seized Ashville's water supply. They have declared war on the poor , refused Medicaid expansion which would have brought 25,000 jobs to NC, They have fired 1200 more teachers. They have made it difficult as possible for college students to vote. They tired to make it a 2 year felony for a woman to expose her breasts. They have made it legal to use silencers on weapons while hunting (really) they have legalized possum dropping. They have given more tax breaks for the rich and increased taxes on working people.. The governor replaced the entire elections board. coincidentally, the previous elections board was investigating the governor for accepting illegal internet gambling "donations". You can't make this shit up. There is entirely too much inbreeding going on among republikans.
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Ben wrote:
<quoted text>NO ONE made anyone go to war. That hasn't been done since Nam. Personal choice and being responsible for that choice, I know is a foreign concept for you, kinda like the healthcare thing, which I see is something you and ole Al keep running from, anyway, I don't need to "google" anything. What would you say to the 300,000 people in Ca that just had their policies canceled, "google it"? Run.
Oh, I see. You are talking about a draft. Sure, Bush didn't MAKE anyone go, but if they would have refused, they would have been court martialed in a Military Court. Bush maybe just "suggested" that the troops go to war in Iraq, don't you think?
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

TSF wrote:
NC was a leader in k12 education nationally. Now, these idiot republicans have crippled education. NC was a national leader in R&D. Now these idiots have defunded the Universities by 800 million dollars . They have tried to establish a state religion. They have outlawed science in discussions of sea level rise. They are still attempting to seize Charlotte's airport. They have seized Ashville's water supply. They have declared war on the poor , refused Medicaid expansion which would have brought 25,000 jobs to NC, They have fired 1200 more teachers. They have made it difficult as possible for college students to vote. They tired to make it a 2 year felony for a woman to expose her breasts. They have made it legal to use silencers on weapons while hunting (really) they have legalized possum dropping. They have given more tax breaks for the rich and increased taxes on working people.. The governor replaced the entire elections board. coincidentally, the previous elections board was investigating the governor for accepting illegal internet gambling "donations". You can't make this shit up. There is entirely too much inbreeding going on among republikans.
I will give them this. They are never boring with their supidity.
Ben

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2013

Judged:

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I see. You are talking about a draft. Sure, Bush didn't MAKE anyone go, but if they would have refused, they would have been court martialed in a Military Court. Bush maybe just "suggested" that the troops go to war in Iraq, don't you think?
Obama "maybe just suggested that troops go to war","President Barack Obama spoke to the American people Thursday evening, a short speech that was covered by the major networks, announcing a drawdown plan to withdraw 10,000 troops from Afghanistan by the end of the year and all 33,000 "surge" troops by September 2012."Before the Affordable Care Act became law in 2010, President Barack Obama promised Americans they could keep their health care plans if they liked them. But already hundreds of thousands of citizens are receiving notification that their plans are being canceled because they don't comply with the new law, and, according to NBC News, the Obama administration has known for at least three years the cancellations were coming.

While campaigning for health care reform in 2009, Obama went out of his way to make one thing perfectly clear: If you like your current health care plan, you will be able to keep it." "There is no more exemplary an illustration of that hypocrisy in the news this morning than this: Sixteen Democratic senators who voted for ObamaCare are now decrying the medical devices tax, which is set to go into effect January 1, as “job-killing.”

In a letter sent to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, the sixteen senators (including hypocrites extraordinaire, Al Franken and Chuck Schumer) are now asking that ObamaCare’s 2.3% tax on medical devices, scheduled to take effect January 1, be delayed.(Franken wants it repealed altogether.)

Reprising arguments made by Republicans for years against Obamacare, the Democratic senators say the new tax will not only cost jobs, but will also harm American competitiveness in the medical device field." Liar, liar, run, run.
Ben

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2013

Judged:

"ObamaCare has become big business for an elite network of Washington lobbyists and consultants who helped shape the law from the inside.

More than 30 former administration officials, lawmakers and congressional staffers who worked on the healthcare law have set up shop on K Street since 2010. Major lobbying firms such as Fierce, Isakowitz & Blalock, The Glover Park Group, Alston & Bird, BGR Group and Akin Gump can all boast an Affordable Care Act insider on their lobbying roster — putting them in a prime position to land coveted clients.

“When [Vice President] Biden leaned over [during the signing of the healthcare law] and said to [President] Obama,‘This is a big f'n deal,’” said Ivan Adler, a headhunter at the McCormick Group,“he was right.”

Veterans of the healthcare push are now lobbying for corporate giants such as Delta Air Lines, UPS, BP America and Coca-Cola, and for healthcare companies including GlaxoSmithKline, UnitedHealth Group and the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. Ultimately, the clients are after one thing: expert help in dealing with the most sweeping overhaul of the country’s healthcare system in decades.

"Healthcare lobbying on K Street is as strong as it ever was, and it's due to the fact that the Affordable Care Act seems to be ever-changing," Adler said. "What's at stake is huge.... Whenever there's a lot of money at stake, there's a lot of lobbying going on."

The voracious need for lobbying help in dealing with ObamaCare has created a price premium for lobbyists who had first-hand experience in crafting or debating the law.

Experts say that those able to fetch the highest salaries have come from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) or committees with oversight power over healthcare.

Demand for ObamaCare insiders is even higher now that major pieces of the law, including the healthcare exchanges and individual insurance mandate, are being set up through a slew of complicated federal regulations.

“Congress is easy to watch,” said Tim LaPira, a politics professor at James Madison University who researches the government affairs industry,“but agencies are harder to watch because their actions are often opaque. This leads to a greater demand on K Street” for people who understand the fine print, he said.

“K Street's agenda follows the government's agenda. It's not typically the other way around," he said.

Watchdogs say the rise of the ObamaCare lobbyist is another example of the “revolving door” that turns public service into private enrichment.

“After passage of major legislation, those who have networks on Capitol Hill take exceedingly lucrative jobs with the same industries subject to the legislation,” said Craig Holman, a lobbyist for Public Citizen.“It raises questions about the [bill's] integrity.” For K Street, healthcare lobbying has been a bright spot in what has otherwise been a down business cycle.

While lobbying revenue at major firms has been flat or declining in recent years, the healthcare law has generated steady work — a trend that is likely to continue for years to come.

That’s because ObamaCare runs on a long timeline — well into the next administration. Unless the law is severely crippled, the reform's rules and requirements will be rolling out through at least 2020.

That’s good news for lobbyists who want to sign up clients for the long haul.

The windfall from the healthcare overhaul is being reaped at firms large and small. Some veterans of the legislative push have landed at boutique firms that are increasingly specializing in lobbying niches.

The firm Avenue Solutions, for instance, recently hired Yvette Fontenot, a former staffer for both the Senate Finance Committee, which wrote ObamaCare’s tax-related provisions, and HHS's Office of Health Reform, which is assisting the implementation.
Ben

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2013

Judged:

Since her hire in April, the four-woman firm has picked up Health Care Service Corp. as a client, and Fontenot is now lobbying for the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and the National Electrical Manufacturers Association as well.

The Democratic firm banks about $3 million in revenue per year, records show, but is on pace for growth in 2013, earning $1.8 million through the first half of the year.

It’s not just ex-staffers who are becoming trusted ObamaCare guides — former members of Congress are lobbying on the law as well.

Former Rep. Earl Pomeroy (D-N.D.) joined Alston & Bird in 2011 after dealing with healthcare and tax issues as a member of the House Ways and Means Committee.

Now Pomeroy and his one-time chief of staff, Bob Siggins, are lobbying on ObamaCare for clients such as clients such as Vision Service Plan, the National Coordinating Committee for Multiemployer Plans and Medicare — a health insurance provider.

Consulting is another avenue former staffers and officials can take to work for outside interests while they look to comply with and shape the impending regulations.“This is not a do-it-yourself project; it's complicated,” said Adler.“They need help from insiders to help navigate this thing correctly.”

Former senior counsel to HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius Dora Hughes became a senior policy adviser at the law firm Sidley Austin last year.

Hughes is not a registered lobbyist, and told The Hill she mainly provides “strategic policy advice” while abiding by the ethics pledge not to lobby the administration. She has no congressional contacts in her sights, either.

Even the president needs some lobbying know-how when it comes to advancing ObamaCare.

The White House brought on Clinton administration veteran and former lobbyist Chris Jennings last month to help navigate the implementation of the law.

During a call with several directors of the state healthcare exchanges on Wednesday, Jennings was seated in a plum position — right next to Obama." And you talk about Republicans and greed....run.

“This is not a do-it-yourself project; it's complicated,” said Adler.“They need help from insiders to help navigate this thing correctly.”

Former senior counsel to HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius Dora Hughes became a senior policy adviser at the law firm Sidley Austin last year.

Hughes is not a registered lobbyist, and told The Hill she mainly provides “strategic policy advice” while abiding by the ethics pledge not to lobby the administration. She has no congressional contacts in her sights, either.
Taxpayer

Roxboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2013

Judged:

TSF wrote:
DA BS
Ben

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2013

Judged:

Seven new states added and 4 million with canceled insurance. Yep, it's a great thing, best thing since sliced bread, that Obamacare. Sorry, I mean the Affordable Care Act. Liar, liar.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 42,461 - 42,480 of54,884
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Wilkesboro Discussions

Search the Wilkesboro Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Walmart market in the works for Hudson Jun 29 Lisa 2
Camp E-Ma-Etu An Eckerd Youth Alternatives camp... (May '07) Jun 19 genesis witcher 239
Looking for someone (Dec '12) Jun '14 bret 2
Tyson Adds 165 Jobs in Wilkes Co. (Oct '10) May '14 dare resist 5
Tawny Orender (Oct '13) May '14 Stud 3
Jessica Jones found dead May '14 Amc 1
District Attorney Fred Bauer Apr '14 Anonymous 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Wilkesboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000