Fire in Arkansas River out, Chief say...

Fire in Arkansas River out, Chief says - Lamar Ledger

There are 11 comments on the Lamar Ledger story from Apr 25, 2011, titled Fire in Arkansas River out, Chief says - Lamar Ledger. In it, Lamar Ledger reports that:

Air Care Inc., helped put out the fire in the Arkansas River by dumping water. A fire that started west of County Road 10 and north of U.S. Highway 50 near Lamar brought firefighters, law enforcement and a local crop dusting company together to battle the flames.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lamar Ledger.

Positive

Greeley, CO

#1 Apr 26, 2011
I find it sad that not a single person has commented on this story. I would like to say great job firefighters. Kudos to Ports to Plains, Burger Kind, and McDonalds for showing some initiative.

p.s. I am in Lamar; I do not know the reason this site says Greeley.
chocaholic

La Junta, CO

#2 Apr 26, 2011
This was quite the site to see! Definitly didn't want any damages done to propoerty or anyone hurt but that river bottom is much better off having had this happen. Regardless of the land owers wish not to file charges these kids should be held responsible for the $600.00 fine and if they can't pay for it then a lot of public service should be done by them.(Real public service where they do physical labor and have to regret their actions!) Again, gladd everyone is ok and THANK YOU to all those involved in fighting the fire and in the details such as law enforcement used to assist! Also BIG THANKS TO TINNES FOR THEIR HELP ON THIS. I wonder if all the fuel and water he used came out of his pocket? Bet it did and that $600.00 fine those kids face is nothing compared to that!
Positive2

La Junta, CO

#3 Apr 26, 2011
Praise the Lord that everything turned out ok! Great job to all that battled the fire and donated food and time!
KTC

La Veta, CO

#4 Apr 27, 2011
Positive wrote:
I find it sad that not a single person has commented on this story. I would like to say great job firefighters. Kudos to Ports to Plains, Burger Kind, and McDonalds for showing some initiative.
p.s. I am in Lamar; I do not know the reason this site says Greeley.
Burger Kind? Is that new? LOL
TheRealistCC

Grand Junction, CO

#5 May 3, 2011
Did we not get millions of dollars to remove tamarisk? Weird. "Let it Burn"!

Good job firefighters, etc... but way way way too many lives put in danger and money spent for a fire that just needed a little guideance on each side of the river, without tapping into state patrol, sheriff, Lamar Fire, etc.... expenses.

Just a thought.
noname

Edwards, CO

#6 May 3, 2011
Actually, I think burning them wasted the poisen they just sprayed on them. Correct me if i'm wrong, but that stuff takes a few years to work. now by these kids burning them down, they left the root system to grow back fresh plants with no poisen on them. at least this fire didn't turn out to be another Las Animas type ordeal.
wheat farmer

Holly, CO

#7 May 4, 2011
TheRealistCC wrote:
Did we not get millions of dollars to remove tamarisk? Weird. "Let it Burn"!
Good job firefighters, etc... but way way way too many lives put in danger and money spent for a fire that just needed a little guideance on each side of the river, without tapping into state patrol, sheriff, Lamar Fire, etc.... expenses.
Just a thought.
Who is "we"? A little guideance? You must not be from around here.
Yes the chemical is labled as the plant must not be disturbed for 3 years in order to kill it.
Thanks to all who helped and it could have been a lot worse if we didn't have the help.
The Realist CC

Grand Junction, CO

#8 May 5, 2011
Hunt that part of the river wheat farmer. There is not lives threatened or property on either side it a brush truck. Totally un-necessary waste of tax dollars. Wind was blowing west. If the rural department knew the area, the could have just ended it where they did without all the drama as the river and tamarisk narrows just east of the river bridge. Goodnight.
just another guy

United States

#9 May 5, 2011
The Realist CC wrote:
Hunt that part of the river wheat farmer. There is not lives threatened or property on either side it a brush truck. Totally un-necessary waste of tax dollars. Wind was blowing west. If the rural department knew the area, the could have just ended it where they did without all the drama as the river and tamarisk narrows just east of the river bridge. Goodnight.
Do you base this on your extensive experience in agriculture and fire suppression?

So you have any idea how many dollars worth of fence are in that riverbottom that a fire would destroy?

Any idea of how much livestock might have been there?

Any idea of how much equipment would be required to guard against the fire breaking out and damaging other property?

Do you wonder what the VOLUNTEER firefighter would rather be doing than babysitting a fire?

Were you SURE the fire wouldn't pick up and /or shift?
just me

Edwards, CO

#10 May 6, 2011
Realist, why must you always armchair quarterback and critisize everything? The fire department guys know this county and terrain very well. They are the ones who have spent countless hours for the past couple months on these big fires. How about instead of cutting them down, you thank them. Like others have said, these guys VOLUNTEER their lives to this county. They train non stop, sometimes several times a week, and still take time from family and work to respond to emergencies. When was the last time you gave so much of YOUR time with absolutly no pay?
stacee23

Madison, TN

#11 Nov 11, 2011
just me wrote:
Realist, why must you always armchair quarterback and critisize everything? The fire department guys know this county and terrain very well. They are the ones who have spent countless hours for the past couple months on these big fires. How about instead of cutting them down, you thank them. Like others have said, these guys VOLUNTEER their lives to this county. They train non stop, sometimes several times a week, and still take time from family and work to respond to emergencies. When was the last time you gave so much of YOUR time with absolutly no pay?
people like that are miserable and they just want to drag ya down with them. waste of time and energy.and yes,winds do shift on the plains constantly. he really does'nt know what's goin on. maybe his info is from wikipedia.hah lol hah

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wiley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shelter open, ready to assist those in need - L... (Apr '11) Dec 9 Gary Olson 15
Living in La Junta (Sep '09) Nov 29 The truth 26
News Man's Body Found In La Junta Early Mon. Morning (May '11) Nov '17 Thomas Cosgrove 6
LaJunta School District allowing a convicted mu... (Apr '13) Sep '17 Maxx 2
furnished apartments for rent (Jun '17) Jun '17 saker5002 1
News Lamar man charged in Las Animas murder case (Oct '08) Apr '17 28goddess 25
get out of jail free (Sep '14) Mar '17 Kathy jara 2

Wiley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wiley Mortgages