Shelter open, ready to assist those i...

Shelter open, ready to assist those in need - Lamar Ledger

There are 14 comments on the Lamar Ledger story from Apr 26, 2011, titled Shelter open, ready to assist those in need - Lamar Ledger. In it, Lamar Ledger reports that:

The Southeast Colorado Homeless Shelter, also known as the Compassion Center, is operating again after a change in management.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lamar Ledger.

Corn Cob

Denver, CO

#1 Apr 27, 2011
Wait a minute! How can this shelter be open when the gas in not hooked up? How are folks going to wash and cook with no gas and or hot water? I do not know what block this is on but it needs to be moved out of town under HWY 287 Arkansaw River bridge.
sitting back

Rocky Ford, CO

#2 Apr 27, 2011
Lucky you for never needing the shelter. But there are individuals within this community that do need it with or without hot water. If everyone would give a small donation they would have hot water. The ones coming off the streets will be grateful for the shelter whether it is perfect or not, it will be better than where they came from. All of us should keep in mind that this shelter belongs to the whole community and just because you havn't needed it doesn't mean others don't. This man is trying to do a good thing and we all should be supportive of him.
Doubting Thomas

Lamar, CO

#3 Apr 28, 2011
Wow! Something going on in the community that exposes our hearts! As our nations economic health continues spiraling down hill we will need places like the Center more than ever. If you have ever shopped at Wal-Mart or driven the streets of Lamar you can see people walking, biking, or hitching who obviously need a meal, a place to lay their head down or a place to rest.

It would be great if our County Father's would take a long look at this opportunity to really expose Lamar's heart. Assistance provided to the Center would earn them a star in the People's hearts forever!

We ALL have so much to offer.......... Go John, Go..........
concernedgma

Grand Junction, CO

#4 Apr 28, 2011
Kudo's to anyone willing to help the less fortunate. Unfortunately our County Commissioners nor the City wants to support the Shelter. That is why there is no gas. Carlita begged for support and was given nothing. Hope John has better luck.
soyousay

Boulder, CO

#5 Apr 28, 2011
Not sure I would put Carlita in the hero category so fast. Yes, she took on a tremendous task, however a few years ago the county commissioners, ministerial alliance,city council and concerned citizens offered assistance and were told "they" (Carlita and the current board)didn't need the help, "We will do it on our own!" Unfortunately, that didn't work out so well. Glad to see someone stepping up to take on this tremendous challange. Hopefully the new management will not turn away assistance. Good Luck!
JJJ

Lamar, CO

#6 Apr 28, 2011
anyone know how to get in touch with maxwell I would like to help get the gas on.
RUKIDDINGME

Lamar, CO

#8 Apr 29, 2011
Southeast Colorado Homeless Sheleter is a part of the Goodsearch network. A painless way to help is to add the Goodsearch toolbar to your browser and use it.

URL=
http://www.goodsearch.com/nonprofit/southeast...
Compassion Center

Grand Junction, CO

#13 May 2, 2011
Corn Cob wrote:
Wait a minute! How can this shelter be open when the gas in not hooked up? How are folks going to wash and cook with no gas and or hot water? I do not know what block this is on but it needs to be moved out of town under HWY 287 Arkansaw River bridge.
Sorry u feel that way, we are workin on gettin the gas on now an we alredy been cookin an doin wat needs 2 be . Thank You
Compassion Center

Grand Junction, CO

#14 May 2, 2011
sitting back wrote:
Lucky you for never needing the shelter. But there are individuals within this community that do need it with or without hot water. If everyone would give a small donation they would have hot water. The ones coming off the streets will be grateful for the shelter whether it is perfect or not, it will be better than where they came from. All of us should keep in mind that this shelter belongs to the whole community and just because you havn't needed it doesn't mean others don't. This man is trying to do a good thing and we all should be supportive of him.
Hi my name is Sherri, an me an John are gettin the Compassion Center goin we already had a bake sale an made some money. Thank You for your kind words an support an your right with or without gas its been workin fine, we were left wit bills that haven't been paid for a couple of months,so it's gonna take us time to get it goin right, an with everyones support an donations we will be fine. It's not just for the Homeless, it's for OUR COMMUNITY an the people that need our help! Thank YOU.
Compassion Center

Grand Junction, CO

#15 May 2, 2011
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Wow! Something going on in the community that exposes our hearts! As our nations economic health continues spiraling down hill we will need places like the Center more than ever. If you have ever shopped at Wal-Mart or driven the streets of Lamar you can see people walking, biking, or hitching who obviously need a meal, a place to lay their head down or a place to rest.
It would be great if our County Father's would take a long look at this opportunity to really expose Lamar's heart. Assistance provided to the Center would earn them a star in the People's hearts forever!
We ALL have so much to offer.......... Go John, Go..........
Hi, your right, there are alot of people out there wit nothin to eat drink or sleep,We are tryin to get our community invovled cause like i said before It's not only for the homeless but for our Community, We wanna be able to offer free meals once a week for our community to come an sit an eat or get it to go after a hard days work, John an I have alot of things planned to keep money coming in, an wit support we will SUCEED! Thank You.
Pat McGroin

Oklahoma City, OK

#17 May 2, 2011
Compassion Center, LEARN TO SPELL. It makes it tough to read.
Compassion Center

Grand Junction, CO

#18 May 3, 2011
Pat McGroin wrote:
Compassion Center, LEARN TO SPELL. It makes it tough to read.
Hi so sorry , i do a short hand type of writting i will make it a point to type the words write. Thank You
Compassion Center

Grand Junction, CO

#19 May 3, 2011
Morning everyone, Just wanted to let our Community know that we had a young lady stranded here in Lamar yesterday, We feed her, she showered,an was given shoes cause she was left with none,an a warm bed to sleep in! This morning John found her a ride to Colorado Springs, So she is on her way to were she knows people, an has a place to stay when she arrives!
stacee23

Madison, TN

#20 Nov 11, 2011
my car broke down in eads back in 1999. got put up in the country manor motel for the night. i ended up staying there for about 3 years running the place. at the time i had been homeless for about 3 or 4 months. you never know when something will happen in your life that can cause you to become homeless. when richard ray gambled away the motel
there i was, homeless again. this time for about 2 years.(america was in a steady decline then) work was hard to find. not to mention that people did'nt want to hire a diabetic.(got canned from 2 jobs for that!) anyone who helps the homeless is a saint in my eyes. gas or no gas,it does'nt matter.help is help. jesus christ in our society today, would be considerd"homeless" the bible tells us to help one another. it really does'st take that much to help someone. good luck with the shelter. god bless you for what your doing. in this age of greed,scams,and rampant unemployment, it's nice to see people who give a damn and are trying to make a differance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wiley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man's Body Found In La Junta Early Mon. Morning (May '11) Nov 5 Thomas Cosgrove 6
LaJunta School District allowing a convicted mu... (Apr '13) Sep '17 Maxx 2
furnished apartments for rent Jun '17 saker5002 1
News Lamar man charged in Las Animas murder case (Oct '08) Apr '17 28goddess 25
get out of jail free (Sep '14) Mar '17 Kathy jara 2
News LPD arrests 2 suspects on counterfeiting charges (Jan '14) Dec '16 say what 6
News Second half propels Holly boys to title in Arka... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Lebron James 1

Wiley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wiley Mortgages