Law bans children from riding in pick...

Law bans children from riding in pickup beds on highways

There are 5 comments on the The Orlando Sentinel story from Oct 9, 2006, titled Law bans children from riding in pickup beds on highways. In it, The Orlando Sentinel reports that:

It's no longer legal to let children ride in the back of pickups on Interstate 4, Florida's Turnpike, the East-West Expressway and some other high-speed roadways.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Orlando Sentinel.

samantha

Lady Lake, FL

#1 Nov 14, 2006
i belive that the only highways that people should not ride in the bed of the cab is i75 because i've rode in the back of trucks since i was able to walk and it was safe on rodes like 301 and back rodes just not on i75
thank you very much for your time samantha
Blackstoke

Auburndale, FL

#2 Dec 19, 2006
Like anything else, it is a law designed to protect the stupid. Now, I'm NOT saying you are, however, I know of too many who are. I grew up in an age where we would all pile into the back of the pickup and ride to the local Whippy Dip for ice cream. However, we were not silly enough to stand up or ride sitting on the side rails. These days, with the increased number of idiots on the roadways, the chances of your dying from riding in the back of a pickup have increased many times over. With the work I am involved, I see bad things all the time as a result of someone else's stupidity, not necessarily that of the person who was killed. Most drunk driving accidents I've been to where a death was involved, it was the person who was doing it right who died, not the drunk. In pickup fatalities, it is usually the same. It is not so much the person riding in the back as much as the other person who caused the accident. So, to protect the innocent from the stupid, we pass another law which restricts us in some manner or another. Helmet laws, seat belt laws, and laws against riding unrestrained in the back of a pickup really do save lives. Also, your chances of dying in an accident are greater on a side road than on I-75. You are more likely to die from an accident on a side road than you are on I-75. My wife and I were struck head on, not by the drunk, but by the person who was trying to avoid the drunk who was out in front of us. Oh well, more freedom ruined for us all by the few who make life dangerous because they don't care about others.

“Hello ! ”

Since: Jan 07

Wildwood in the country

#3 Jan 5, 2007
Hello friend,

Ask any parent/Grandparent who's lost a child about riding in the back of a pickup truck.
nopeilikeyourbut t

Summerton, SC

#4 Apr 15, 2010
In South Carolina you must be 13 to be a truck bed passenger
nopeilikeyourbut t

Summerton, SC

#5 Apr 15, 2010
I have a nice but it is good and has anyone even ever been gone to so far to be try and look more like?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wildwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Talk Of The Villages (TOTV) (Jul '14) Mon Buckcpcu 651
shower loofas (poufs) on cars in and around vil... (Dec '14) May 19 fens 62 50
Lawn Service Needed on County Road 519A May 15 GrassMowing 1
News Two people found dead in vehicle submerged off ... May 10 Lisa B 1
Perk Med Spa May 3 Gjh 1
DCF/florida Nazi party (Jan '07) May 1 Dick 8
News Snowbirds causing traffic congestion (Jan '16) Apr '17 Village Monkey 22

Wildwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance