Jumping sturgeon knocks man unconscious

Jumping sturgeon knocks man unconscious

There are 11 comments on the Modesto Bee story from Aug 8, 2006, titled Jumping sturgeon knocks man unconscious. In it, Modesto Bee reports that:

A man riding a personal watercraft on the Suwannee River was injured after a 4-foot-long sturgeon jumped out of the water and hit him, wildlife officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Modesto Bee.

Knock Knock

United States

#1 Aug 9, 2006
Ahhhhh. This was just a baby.....I was fishing in the Columbia River that runs along the Washington/Oregon border and hooked one of these "prehistoric things" and it was over 7 feet long. The guys I was with told me it was only a baby and probably only a couple of years old!! They said the adults are about 15 feet long and can get to over 20 feet in length!!! Damn...I wonder if the fish was okay.....lol
aiki_mcr

Berkeley, CA

#2 Aug 9, 2006
Knock Knock wrote:
Damn...I wonder if the fish was okay.....lol
I wonder how it tastes.

Is sturgeon good eating?

The eggs are pretty good if it's the right sort of sturgeon...
dhw

Quincy, MA

#3 Aug 9, 2006
like chicken, I'm sure...

“Sleep? Who needs it anyway?”

Since: Apr 06

Location hidden

#4 Aug 9, 2006
aiki_mcr wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder how it tastes.
Is sturgeon good eating?
The eggs are pretty good if it's the right sort of sturgeon...
Hmmmm. Funny, I have no clue if it's good except that I don't see it for sale in the deli, which makes me think it can't be all that good.
Just Thinking

Farmington, MI

#5 Aug 9, 2006
Knock Knock wrote:
Ahhhhh. This was just a baby.....I was fishing in the Columbia River that runs along the Washington/Oregon border and hooked one of these "prehistoric things" and it was over 7 feet long. The guys I was with told me it was only a baby and probably only a couple of years old!! They said the adults are about 15 feet long and can get to over 20 feet in length!!! Damn...I wonder if the fish was okay.....lol
I hooked one several years ago with gear more suited for pearch and bass and it was like I had a slow moving freight train on the line. It finally just took the line until it ran out and snapped my ten pound test. I wouldn't be surprised if the fish didn't even know he was on the line. We rowed faster than it was swimming and could see it about 2 or 3 feet below the surface. It was about 6 feet but looked a lot bigger to a 10 year old boy. We used to see them on the surface of Lake St. Clair here near Detroit quite often just floating along like a log but in recent years with all the pleasure boats they've pretty much dissapeared. The days of fourteen foot rowboats are long gone around here.
Knock Knock

United States

#6 Aug 9, 2006
Just Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
I hooked one several years ago with gear more suited for pearch and bass and it was like I had a slow moving freight train on the line. It finally just took the line until it ran out and snapped my ten pound test. I wouldn't be surprised if the fish didn't even know he was on the line. We rowed faster than it was swimming and could see it about 2 or 3 feet below the surface. It was about 6 feet but looked a lot bigger to a 10 year old boy. We used to see them on the surface of Lake St. Clair here near Detroit quite often just floating along like a log but in recent years with all the pleasure boats they've pretty much dissapeared. The days of fourteen foot rowboats are long gone around here.
Before I had gone on that trip with them, I had no idea what one was. They told me they like the river because in the middle is one trench. They (the really big ones) are down in that area, but it's hard to go there because you have to constantly dodge the big freighters coming in and out of Portland....
Just Thinking

Farmington, MI

#7 Aug 9, 2006
Knock Knock wrote:
<quoted text>Before I had gone on that trip with them, I had no idea what one was. They told me they like the river because in the middle is one trench. They (the really big ones) are down in that area, but it's hard to go there because you have to constantly dodge the big freighters coming in and out of Portland....
Yeah, I think they're bottom feeders like catfish but they must come up to the surface for something. They looked just like a big log and you could row right up within 6 feet of them before they'd swim away or dive under. The shipping channel in Lake St Clair was a pretty far ways to row especially in a 14 foot wooden boat but this was around 45 years ago so sometimes back then we had the only boat in sight. Geez I'm making myself nostalgic. It sure was beautiful to be out there at sunrise catching pearch one after the other.
aiki_mcr

Berkeley, CA

#8 Aug 9, 2006
Some fish have a connection between their swim bladder and their throat. They literally have to surface in order to dive, sort of.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that sturgeons are among these. The fish like this tend to be primitive. That, in spite of the fact that there are theories that these are the fish that eventually grew lungs (swim bladder becomes a primitive lung, see?) and crawled out of the water.

“Sleep? Who needs it anyway?”

Since: Apr 06

Location hidden

#9 Aug 9, 2006
So what do they taste like, anyone know?
Matilda

Australia

#10 Aug 9, 2006
I have neer seen one of these But I sure would like to catch one!!!
Knock Knock

United States

#11 Aug 10, 2006
Matilda wrote:
I have neer seen one of these But I sure would like to catch one!!!
It's big, ugly, looks like a big brown round.....log, yeah...
DS, I don't think they are for cooking. what would you cook it on?? lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wildwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Talk of the villages political forum racism an... 4 min Justme 1
Save-A-Lot reviews Beef Patties 5 hr BurgerAdviceNeeded 1
Who else had a bisexual wife? (Jul '14) Tue Hank 37
Talk Of The Villages (TOTV) (Jul '14) Dec 4 Justme 579
Empty Buildings Nov 30 Looking 1
Waiters and Waitresses ONLY (Oct '15) Nov 22 mary 12
Finding mutual freinds. (Jun '09) Nov 18 cid 9

Wildwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wildwood Mortgages