Philly Walt

Houston, TX

#104 May 8, 2012
My wife and I are thinking about moving to The Villages in about 3 years and reading all the comments there is a lot of pro and cons to moving here and you really do not know who to believe. I guess we will have to visit and see who is right but it does sound like the place for us coming from phily the neighborhoods are close so being close to our neighbor will not bother us. If you never came from a city neighborhood you relly missed something. Your family and kids become friends for life and if your kid was doing something wrong if did not bother you to have the neighbor holler at them with out worring about getting sued. One question I see that there is a charter school I though that this was a retirement community? Do the people in the villages pay taxes for the up keep of the school and do the kids that go there do they also live in the villages. Any thing will help us decide.
SeattleSue

Olympia, WA

#105 May 11, 2012
Philly Walt wrote:
My wife and I are thinking about moving to The Villages in about 3 years and reading all the comments there is a lot of pro and cons to moving here and you really do not know who to believe. I guess we will have to visit and see who is right but it does sound like the place for us coming from phily the neighborhoods are close so being close to our neighbor will not bother us. If you never came from a city neighborhood you relly missed something. Your family and kids become friends for life and if your kid was doing something wrong if did not bother you to have the neighbor holler at them with out worring about getting sued. One question I see that there is a charter school I though that this was a retirement community? Do the people in the villages pay taxes for the up keep of the school and do the kids that go there do they also live in the villages. Any thing will help us decide.
We just bought a new home in the villages and plan to be snowbirds. People under the age of 19 cannot live in the villages. The school is for children of people who are employed by the villages and that includes many grocery stores, banks, sales reps.,, retail clerks, waitresses, attorneys who close home sales in the villages, etc., etc. 20% of villages residents can be under the age of 55 but they cannot have children under the age of 19 living with them permanently.

There are extra taxes in the villages called bonds and CDDs. Including these, the yearly taxes on our new $200000 home are about $5000. I suggest you become familiar with these before you decide to buy in the villages so you are not surprised. Half of these taxes are the bond and the CDDS which I am told are not deductible on income taxes. We looked at other local retirement communities where you get more home for the $$ but we decided to build a new house (we've never built a home before) to get exactly what we want after working hard for so many years, we decided to treat ourselves. The villages is beautiful and there is plenty to do.
The Other Side

The Villages, FL

#106 May 13, 2012
Great for people coming from cities and use to lots of houses on top of each other. Not so much for small town or country people who like bigger yards, quieter and more privacy.
Great for people who can leave their families and old friends behind. Many leave to go back to be near families, especially grand babies!
Fees keep going up. You need a decent amount of money to live here.
Complete control Of a Republican developer who's main motivation is to make money.
Overcrowded in snowbird season and hot in the summers.
Some people like it here and for many, they leave or never buy. Some just come down and rent.
Angel

Brentwood, NY

#107 Jun 26, 2012
I have owned a home in the villages for three years now...I am a widow in my 60's and moved here without knowing anyone. I believe you are who you are no matter what your surroundings are at this point in life....I have found people friendly and helpful here and although I have dated here, sex is a decision based on your beliefs not a location. I worked most of my life and saved for the future so I would be independent as I aged....my husband passed when I was 50. My children and grands live "up north" where I'm from and are thrilled I have found a place to enjoy...they have visited twice a year and I spend the summers and Christmas with them. It has worked out perfectly for all of us...we use Skype every week and I have had "tea parties" with my grands thru this great way of communicating! IMO people who find fault with others by judgements like selfish, rich, arrogant etc. are not happy with themselves and look to put others down to make themselves feel better. If the villages isn't good for you, find some place that is - nothing is perfect for everyone! For me, I'm grateful for my wonderful neighbors and friends I have met here ... We are all different but we find enjoyment in each other. I will say that I bought a home on a corner plot, backing to a street and I like it very much. The college offers many courses of interest that would have cost me several hundred dollars to take in NY. I find here much more affordable than NY and my money will last longer....planning to live to 100!!
N Jay

Delray Beach, FL

#108 Aug 20, 2012
I live in S Florida and was looking at the villages, I am a gay couple. are we welcome We are thinking of renting before purchasing, can I get some information in regards to rentals. How close to Tampa are you is there buses taking you there? What major interstates are in your area? When renting are there monthly fees I should be concerned about? If I do rent do I have the same priveldges as owners.
Mary

Jacksonville, FL

#109 Aug 20, 2012
Retiring wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks for the info. What other places are you looking at now, and how do they compare to The Villages?
Where else are you looking. I am just starting my search and would love to know other places to look at. Thanks for your help.
Uncle Buck

Brooklyn, NY

#110 Aug 20, 2012
My one concern is congestion. The properties are very close together, which from a maintenance aspect is good. However, indivduals I know who live in the Villages made comments on how difficult it was to get into a resturant.

Properties elsewhere in FL are significantly less expensive, however you don't have the clubs and the activities.
montverde

Leesburg, FL

#111 Aug 22, 2012
@ N Jay

Sorry unless your a gay republican and against same-sex marriage your not welcome in Lake County

Get with the program!

GaysAgainstMarriage.com
Junkplace

Cape Coral, FL

#112 Aug 24, 2012
This place is a dump. Controlled by a developer. Houses are junk. Too loud. Traffic is bad. People are rude. Want to buy my house?
Mishoga volonino

Smithtown, NY

#114 Sep 10, 2012
Hello, my name is Mish. My husband is a retired captain from the NYPD. He's 53 and I am 49. We are looking into a few states for our retirement. Florida,Texas,and Nevada are the states we are considering. My biggest concern is I have an 18 year old son. He'll be older because we are planning to move in two years. We are waiting for our oldest son to be established in his career and on his own.
Back to my younger son, he wants to move with us. He has Crohns Disease and wants to be near us which is fine by us. Does the villages allow that? Second, can anyone tell me if they purchased/built a premier home? Can all home have a private pool?
Thank you so much in advance
Where

Freeport, FL

#115 Sep 10, 2012
Is a college in Leesburg?
Interested

Hyde Park, MA

#116 Sep 12, 2012
annon wrote:
From the perspective of a business owner in the service industry, I would have to say that "Villagers" are very cheap and unwilling to pay fairly. They are glad to exploit people and their environment.
that would be those "conservatives" who live their, they have theirs so get your own
Interested

Hyde Park, MA

#117 Sep 12, 2012
Where wrote:
Is a college in Leesburg?
Your son should checkout the Hippocrates health institute in west palm beach fl, they cured my auto-immune disorder in a 4 weeks stay. An amazing place! I don't know much about the Villages, only doing research now.
Steve

Lady Lake, FL

#118 Sep 12, 2012
atwell wrote:
nothing bit a bunch of mean old people. you treat people like crap.what kind of people move from family and friends to go to a place where they dont know any one?selfish people.Then they all move to one place called the villages.Not florida's friendliest home town.Its the meanest people i have ever seen in my life.one good thing your time is limited thank god.
Great thing about the internet is that even uneducated people can speak their mind. Yeah, once you have kids your life ends and you spend it to take care of your kids until you die. Who is the selfish one in this scenario?
OregonSux

United States

#119 Sep 15, 2012
Florida used to be a great state to live in,until all the people from new york moved there and turned it into a slum.
Toni

Summerfield, FL

#120 Sep 16, 2012
Philly Walt wrote:
Be careful of the BONDS, can be in the THOUSANDS on a new or even a existing homes. Yes, county and school taxes on top of all of that.
Toni

Summerfield, FL

#121 Sep 16, 2012
N Jay wrote:
I live in S Florida and was looking at the villages, I am a gay couple. are we welcome We are thinking of renting before purchasing, can I get some information in regards to rentals. How close to Tampa are you is there buses taking you there? What major interstates are in your area? When renting are there monthly fees I should be concerned about? If I do rent do I have the same priveldges as owners.
You will be welcome. Go on Craigs List, Orlando, CASUAL ENCOUNTERS section. Type in The Villages. A lot of Bi guys like to post when the Mrs is out of town visiting the grand kids.
Toni

Summerfield, FL

#122 Sep 16, 2012
SeattleSue wrote:
<quoted text>
We just bought a new home in the villages and plan to be snowbirds. People under the age of 19 cannot live in the villages. The school is for children of people who are employed by the villages and that includes many grocery stores, banks, sales reps.,, retail clerks, waitresses, attorneys who close home sales in the villages, etc., etc. 20% of villages residents can be under the age of 55 but they cannot have children under the age of 19 living with them permanently.
There are extra taxes in the villages called bonds and CDDs. Including these, the yearly taxes on our new $200000 home are about $5000. I suggest you become familiar with these before you decide to buy in the villages so you are not surprised. Half of these taxes are the bond and the CDDS which I am told are not deductible on income taxes. We looked at other local retirement communities where you get more home for the $$ but we decided to build a new house (we've never built a home before) to get exactly what we want after working hard for so many years, we decided to treat ourselves. The villages is beautiful and there is plenty to do.
The taxes on a 200K home in Stonecrest are about $2500 with no Bond. Marion County taxes are a lot less. Sumter taxes are very high in compatison.
Toni

Summerfield, FL

#123 Sep 16, 2012
Philly Walt wrote:
In addition to the BONDS you may also want to ask about the special assessments.
Shirlee

Saint Louis, MO

#124 Sep 18, 2012
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't own your own land in water oak. When you don't own the land you deal a depreciation just like a car.
It is true that you pay a lot rent and perhaps your place depreciates, but, as my sister whom lives there would tell you she is having a great time and absolutely loves Water Oak. I visited and would love to live there. You pay golf fees only if you want to golf. They have soooo much to do and the people all wave and smile as you drive by. Very safe community.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wildwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Truth About FOX 16 hr Brad 31
God Thu Joe 16
The Villages-News Apr 21 Megan 1
Totv political forum Apr 20 Joe 68
News Central Florida needs to break the obesity cycle (Jul '13) Apr 20 Tim 163
News Leesburg could face massive growth (Aug '06) Apr 16 Cindy 3
fox idiots Apr 15 Joe 28
More from around the web

Wildwood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE