New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2013

Underdog wrote:
Finally, I invited some African American friends down in May. They had a fabulous time and felt as comfortable at the Villages as in their home town.
The canned nature of this reply makes be think that Underdog sells TV real estate. The vision of inviting black friends down and everyone having a yuk yuk time is hilarious to someone who has witnessed the place.
Underdog

Norwalk, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2013

Nope. Just a true statement. They're considering buying there. I don't live there full time yet.

I just don't get the thinking that "predominantly white" = racist or unfriendly to African Americans. I feel sorry for people that think that way.
Mary

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2013

Judged:

Definitely not my experience. I know several African American couples and they love the Villages just as much as all their other neighbors.
Debbie

Natchez, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

What is nursing like in The Villages???? I am an RN and still work full time. My husband is retired, but I will be working for a number of years, even if PRN.
I am curious about the patient/ nurse ratio at the local hospital.......? I am all too aware of the nursing shortages, and although I am a seasoned nurse, I have my limits. Those limits are more important the older I get.
non forum member

Longwood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Cindy wrote:
It is a overcrowded community now. It is #1 AIDS.(NOT JOKING)
HEARING AIDS?????
Snowbird

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Chelsea24 wrote:
Actually the best site for information on The Villages is myvillagesconnection.com
Linda Pearl-"Chelsea24" What happened to you little group of friends that bragged so much about this site??? You were all so fake, especially you, now this site has failed and now many of your friendships have failed too. Its called Karma. You can't be a big ass meanie and not get bad Karma. You can't kiss up about all this love when you only see each other on line. Go put on your fake hair, and fake eyelashes and try to hide your big fat ass. Appearances mean so much to you but on the inside you're an ugly person.
Carol

Strum, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

My husband and I are 57. I am on disability due to muscular dystrophy. At this point, stairs are impossible for me. Even one stair. I am going to presume that public buildings in The Villages do not have stairs, since this is a consideration for any aging person. Can anyone tell me?

Also, I have read about the fact that you need to be bonded to live in The Villages. Can I ask why? Do both husband and wife need to be bonded individually? How much does that cost?

Who takes care of lawn maintenance? Is there a fee for that, or do you do it yourself? Most of the less expensive homes I've seen online do not appear to have garden sheds, so I'm not sure where you would store a lawnmower and gardening tools. Maybe they just don't post pictures of storage areas in the listings for homes for sale. These are all questions we need to find answers to.

Neither one of us plays golf but would be interested in all other amenities. The sexual activity is of no interest to us, as we are a monogamous, happily married couple. LOL. I am very interested in swimming (due to my MD) and my husband is into woodworking, blacksmithing and home brewing.

Since my husband has at least five years to work yet, we are considering a situation where I would live in Florida during the winter months and come "home" the rest of the year until he finally retires.

We are just beginning to "study" retirement situations and options. My husband still works. But I really no longer want to or should live in a snowy, icy state during the winter months. We are keeping all options open; renting as snow birds, renting year round with a lease, buying a home and owning the lot as opposed to renting the lot ... it is a lot of information to process and we have a lot to learn.

If anyone can help by addressing the questions about bonding, lawn maintenance and what amenities cost, I would appreciate it.

Thanks so much.
Underdog

Norwalk, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

No sheds. Keep things in the garage. Lots are small, but most are well landscaped or have nice small gardens.

Most Villagers pay to have lawns mowed.$40 per month for that is possible.

50+ pools. Most houses are within 1/4 to 1/2 mile of one. Beautiful. Free.

The houses have bonds that are paid off over many years. Older, less expensive homes bonds are paid. Individuals aren't bonded.

There's a woodworking club there. Try to find it on "Talk of the Villages."

Nightly entertainment is free. You'll go almost everywhere in a golf cart on a cart path. Costs for food are slightly higher than the Midwest rural town, less than a city or Northeast. Restaurants very reasonable. Beer at restaurants is well priced. Country Club meals can be like regular meal elsewhere (ie: Glenview CC surf & turf ~$20).

Others jump in and adjust my answers.

But my answers are meaningless if you haven't visited the Villages. You must visit. If you go during an "off-peak" time you can probably rent a really, really nice Villa for $450 to $500 for a week until November or so.(go to thevillages4rent.com )
Underdog

Norwalk, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

It's a great place for happily married people. Lots to do TOGETHER.

My wife and I are very excited about moving down there permanently and participating in all there is for older couples ... with friends to be made amongst "like minded" people. If we stay here, we'll just fade away watching tv.
Not for everyone

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2013

Judged:

Underdog wrote:
It's a great place for happily married people. Lots to do TOGETHER.
My wife and I are very excited about moving down there permanently and participating in all there is for older couples ... with friends to be made amongst "like minded" people. If we stay here, we'll just fade away watching tv.
100,000 people and still growing and your expectations are for everyone be like minded? Caught u there. U see, TV is just the place for people that are narrow minded, small thinking and Republican.
Gladys

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

don wrote:
such bull from atwell.....stay in Eustis, you loser!
I love the honesty of this post
Tami

Howell, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

We have owned a home in the villages for over 10 years. We are the younger crowd, I am 46. However, I will tell you, it is the FRIENDLIEST place in America. Sure, there are people who are crabby and not friendly, bu they were that way when they moved here. I find the Villages to be a place where people want to come and retire in comfort. For people to deny or ridicule that is ridiculous. They have EARNED IT!!! If you don't like it.. Don't live here.. Its America. Quite simple.
Tom

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Not for everyone. If you like postage stamp lots, over crowding, and retention ponds for lakes, no voice in your amenity fees-and over-priced homes which all look alike, no indoor pool or gym for 1000,00 people-its your place! Keep watching the list of lawsuits this developer loses including the IRS investigation. The Developer cares only about making money and hurt the residents time and again. There are friendly people any place and some of the rudest in The Villages. All the want- to= bees and snowbirds love it. After a few years they are singing a different tune privately. Local people call people who hear the praise and praise of the transplants a cult, Those villagers act like a cult. Each to their own.
Vera Summers

Calne, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

We are coming from the UK in November for a month renting a villa in Cortez drive I have been told its a short walk from Spanish Springs and a leisure center we get an electric golf cart with the rental just wondering how many miles we can get out of it before we need to charge it up? also what are the food prices like in the shops? and as we would like to do some Christmas shopping and clothes shopping how far are the outlets from the villages? any information would be gratefully received
Sarah

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Vera Summers wrote:
We are coming from the UK in November for a month renting a villa in Cortez drive I have been told its a short walk from Spanish Springs and a leisure center we get an electric golf cart with the rental just wondering how many miles we can get out of it before we need to charge it up? also what are the food prices like in the shops? and as we would like to do some Christmas shopping and clothes shopping how far are the outlets from the villages? any information would be gratefully received
Most people use their cart all day and charge it every night. most peolpe from the UK, find the prices in the shops very reasonable. Here's a link to the shops within The Villages. When you open it, just click on the link for Spanish Springs shops, or Lake Sumter shops, etc. There are many other shops and malls close to the Villages...15 minute car drive away.
http://www.thevillages.com/lifestyle/shopping...
Sarah

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Vera Summers wrote:
Cortez is about 1 mile from Spanish Springs town square, where they have free nighly entertainment every night from 5-9 pm. There are restaurants there, a bowling alley, a movie theater, etc. Have fun !
Underdog

Norwalk, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Vera, You have no idea how much fun you are about to have. Just make sure you get out of the house as much as possible. Make sure you get to a polo match.

Feel free to strike up a conversation with anyone. People will eagerly tell you all the fun stuff there is to do. My favorite opener is, "How long have you lived here? Aren't you tired of this yet?" Don't just notice what they say - notice how they say it.
Underdog

Norwalk, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Also, go to Hacienda Hills country club for a Sunday brunch. Great setting. Have the guy make you a custom omelet and throw a piece of Prime Rib on the side.
Shirlee

Wentzville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

yep wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't own your own land in water oak. When you don't own the land you deal a depreciation just like a car.
Sandeep, do you live in Water Oak? Curious on if they increase the lot rent each year? And how much? Thanks, Shirlee

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Anyone considering retiring in Florida, should'nt limit themselves to the Villages.....Their are actually hundreds of great communities, to suit the needs of any retiree.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Wildwood Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Wildwood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••