Former El Monte community center has become drug users hideaway

For 80 years the El Calvario Community Center provided classes, daycare and tutoring to neighborhood children and teens. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jim

Kihei, HI

#1 Jul 25, 2010
tear it down..
frank pico

Whittier, CA

#2 Jul 25, 2010
the city should place 1 big dog in the building so it could bite whom ever jups the fence problem solved.
The Taxpayer

Santa Monica, CA

#3 Jul 25, 2010
Welcome to El Monte............

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#4 Jul 25, 2010
Places like this should be bulldozed and something useful done with the land, like making it into a park or recreation center. Of course, the PD should make sure the gangsters, dopers, and other misfits stay out of the area. I know, that would be asking a lot.
dbunker

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Jul 25, 2010
bellmonte? lol
In the Know

New Brighton, PA

#6 Jul 25, 2010
People who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. The local neighborhood watch dude Jesse Fierro came up in the 60's and 70's by selling jars of barbituates and amphitimines (reds, red devils, downers, whites, black beauties)to kids in that same neighborhood. Now that he is in his 60's and hanging out with retired cops he wants to act legit and tell on all the tweakers, what a fricken hypocrite.
Do something good with the El calvario Comm. Center, the neighborhood deserves it.
And jesse mind your own business!!
relax

La Puente, CA

#9 Jul 26, 2010
JustAxeMe wrote:
And to think many think these Mexicans are just trying to make a better life for their loved ones. Yea right! Wait until one of these illegals (Mexicans) break into your house, take your car, rape one of your loved ones or move in next to you. If they move in close to you, your property values will be cut in half so good luck selling your house. Nothing, once they move in, but a bunch of drunks and south of the border vehicles parked on the streets, drug activity and other no so good activities. Get rid of these scum, feces infested bean dips.
While I welcome the demise of a Mexican or two, I am sick and tired of all of the car washes and "feel sorry for me" attitudes because they continue to kill one another. Get out of my country, you do not belong. Arizona is just the beginning. Keep running cause if you stop those of us who care will make certain you don't stay.
Why dont you put your (b)alls where your mouth is and do something.
Reason

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Jul 26, 2010
JustAxeMe wrote:
And to think many think these Mexicans are just trying to make a better life for their loved ones. Yea right! Wait until one of these illegals (Mexicans) break into your house, take your car, rape one of your loved ones or move in next to you. If they move in close to you, your property values will be cut in half so good luck selling your house. Nothing, once they move in, but a bunch of drunks and south of the border vehicles parked on the streets, drug activity and other no so good activities. Get rid of these scum, feces infested bean dips.
While I welcome the demise of a Mexican or two, I am sick and tired of all of the car washes and "feel sorry for me" attitudes because they continue to kill one another. Get out of my country, you do not belong. Arizona is just the beginning. Keep running cause if you stop those of us who care will make certain you don't stay.
Where in the story did it say anything about the people breaking in being Mexicans????

Here's another thing. This property is owned by the lilly-white parishers of the Presbyterian synod. You'd think being people of God they'd take care of their property better...because (of course) that's what white people do better than anyone right???? Take care of things. And of course, it's never been the case in El Monte that's its tweekers might be white tooo....oh nooooooo never. And if they did become drug addicts it's because some Mexican made them become drug addicts... Yeah. That's the ticket.
Bob Slobb

Crescent City, CA

#11 Jul 26, 2010
Who cares about Mexican animals?
Bob Slobb

Crescent City, CA

#13 Jul 26, 2010
In the Know wrote:
People who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. The local neighborhood watch dude Jesse Fierro came up in the 60's and 70's by selling jars of barbituates and amphitimines (reds, red devils, downers, whites, black beauties)to kids in that same neighborhood. Now that he is in his 60's and hanging out with retired cops he wants to act legit and tell on all the tweakers, what a fricken hypocrite.
Do something good with the El calvario Comm. Center, the neighborhood deserves it.
And jesse mind your own business!!
Yeah I used to get jars of reds (Lilly F40's) from good ole Jesse, I hear he's selling some good smoke too....
BangerHater

Monterey Park, CA

#14 Jul 26, 2010
knock it down with the meth-heads in it. pass out fliers, let them know that there will be free meth, pack them in, and then knock the building down. take care of 2 problems at once.
I agree

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Jul 26, 2010
Jim wrote:
tear it down..
I completely agree with you - tear it down. If the Presbyterian corporate office claims that they are 30 miles away, and doesn't want to hire security guards, tear it down. The property could then be re-assessed at a lower tax rate because the property would no longer have buildings.
Diamondgrl

Pleasanton, CA

#16 Jul 26, 2010
For those that never lived in El Monte or near the Center...Back the hell off. This community center and the "lilly white" people who own it gave so much to the neighborhood kids including myself,mere words will never be enough to express our thanks. Those who talk smack should be ashamed of themselves. Many of my great childhood memories and my love of reading come from that place and Sachi (the administrator) who gave much of their own time and money for the kids who went there. It wasn't all about sports, it included after school homework help and community awareness. We volunteered to help others in and out of our community through El Calvario. And my parents were and are active in our lives, we weren't the most needy but were taught to be proud of our culture and help others. As far as Jesse goes, I grew up across the street from him and if what you say is true, I never knew of it. If you look for drugs you'll find them. Leave him alone, he grew up, why can't you! For the rest of you Mexican haters, you are ignorant and disgraceful yet I don't hold that against you. The El Calvario Community Center and my parents taught me better than that!
I hope something good can come from this special place soon.
Jesse, you keep the faith and keep up the good work. Your "nosiness" has saved at least one life, that you can be sure of! These people need someone to care enough to call the police and halt their life threatening actions. Thank God you still care enough about your neighborhood and those left in it!
Diamondgrl

Pleasanton, CA

#17 Jul 26, 2010
If you know nothing about who, what and how the Center was kept up and running all those years please keep your ignorant comments to yourself. I was involved and quite knowledgable about these things and it amazes me how people can be so free with their suggestions with no real knowledge of the situation. Do you think that the organization who owns this property is immune from the economic troubles the rest of the nation is currently experiencing? Did you not read the article and understand that they have attempted to sell the property and that the city has also tried to make this property work for El Monte and its citizens?? Pull your heads out of the sand and be honest with yourselves, this isn't a lone problem. This sort of thing is happening all over the Los Angeles area, all over the stae and all over the nation. Stop the ridiculous comments and help out. If not in this community then in yours. It makes me sick that people who apparently grew up in El Monte find it so easy to point out their drug use and it's even sicker that they show no sense of learning from their mistakes but instead talk smack about Jesse. You people are examples of the worst of El Monte and our culture. I hope your parents never learn of your disgraceful behavior then or now and I'll continue to pray for you and yours.
WHOME

Covina, CA

#18 Jul 26, 2010
The El Monte police are not doing there job.
Diamondgrl

Pleasanton, CA

#19 Jul 26, 2010
WHOME wrote:
The El Monte police are not doing there job.
Again with the ignorant comments. Quit blaming others. The El Monte PD is made up of outstanding men and women who do the best they can each and every day. In fact they do better than most. Are you aware of how many officers were recently laid off from the El Monte PD??? Something like 17 trained and dedicated officers. I wish that wouldn't have happened and as a citizen of El Monte for over 40 years, I'm not happy about it however we live with that fact. Instead of looking for a scapegoat put yourself out there and help in whatever way you can. Even if that is by encouraging words. El Monte PD has officers involved in every school in the city. They have extremely open communication with the city's citizens and I'm proud to say I have many friends and a relative or two that have spent their entire adult lives trying to make El Monte a better, safer place for all its citizens, as members of the El Monte police force. It's people like you who never take responsibility for your own actions or the action you DON'T take. Open your eyes, your heart and your mind. Put your own actions where your mouth is and stop being part of the problem. Be an active part of the solution!
resident

San Gabriel, CA

#20 Jul 26, 2010
JustAxeMe wrote:
And to think many think these Mexicans are just trying to make a better life for their loved ones. Yea right! Wait until one of these illegals (Mexicans) break into your house, take your car, rape one of your loved ones or move in next to you. If they move in close to you, your property values will be cut in half so good luck selling your house. Nothing, once they move in, but a bunch of drunks and south of the border vehicles parked on the streets, drug activity and other no so good activities. Get rid of these scum, feces infested bean dips.
While I welcome the demise of a Mexican or two, I am sick and tired of all of the car washes and "feel sorry for me" attitudes because they continue to kill one another. Get out of my country, you do not belong. Arizona is just the beginning. Keep running cause if you stop those of us who care will make certain you don't stay.
The people who are smoking glass in the vacated buildings are not illegals from Mexico or anywhere else they are American citizens with real legal Documents not the MacArthur Park bought fakes. I know these tweakers, I know Jesse and what he is about, I know how the El Calvario was a great asset to the Hayes area of El Monte, especially when it was run by Ignacio Aguilar "Nacho" and Sachi, and other workers there, Delphi, Edna, Dennis, Justi, Mr. Alarcon, alot of us didnt end up dead or in jail because of that place and them special people. Later on in the 80's and 90's we started getting Directors and staff who worked there that all they cared about was a paycheck and not the community. Directors who would not show up at board meetings or if and when they did would not answer questions about finances and where the money went. Directors who didnt even know how to get free tickets to a ballgame for there non-profit agency. The board of directors tried but could get nothing out of these inept white collar criminals. Diamond quit protecting your dad he was one of the worst directors there, aside from Nancy.
Diamondgrl

Pleasanton, CA

#21 Jul 26, 2010
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
The people who are smoking glass in the vacated buildings are not illegals from Mexico or anywhere else they are American citizens with real legal Documents not the MacArthur Park bought fakes. I know these tweakers, I know Jesse and what he is about, I know how the El Calvario was a great asset to the Hayes area of El Monte, especially when it was run by Ignacio Aguilar "Nacho" and Sachi, and other workers there, Delphi, Edna, Dennis, Justi, Mr. Alarcon, alot of us didnt end up dead or in jail because of that place and them special people. Later on in the 80's and 90's we started getting Directors and staff who worked there that all they cared about was a paycheck and not the community. Directors who would not show up at board meetings or if and when they did would not answer questions about finances and where the money went. Directors who didnt even know how to get free tickets to a ballgame for there non-profit agency. The board of directors tried but could get nothing out of these inept white collar criminals. Diamond quit protecting your dad he was one of the worst directors there, aside from Nancy.
Ooops, your wrong, my Dad was NEVER A DIRECTOR THERE! I know exactly who you are speaking of and sorry to admit, I agree with you. I was one of the involved people who tried to get rid of "that" director but he talked a good game and used the elderly and others to help him continue milking the Center for every penny he could get! Nancy was a dishonest user as well. She seemed to be more worried about her own paycheck than what would keep that place running. I know (because I was there and involved) that the people who own that place were simply too Christian and believed only the best of people. That was the down fall of the Center. Not enough people to stand up and open their eyes to what the director was and WASN'T doing. My family and I gave it our all trying to save this place, we couldn't and it breaks my heart to this day! Get it right, I'm not trying to cover or protect anyone. I see this as an oportunity lost for the community I grew up in and love. At the same time I know I did everything I possibly could to stop the destruction of El Calvario Community Center, to open eyes to the jerk that single handedly destroyed it. I gave many hours as an adult to the place that still holds a special place in my heart. Ugh, it makes me sick to think you would think I'm related to that man! He was a thief and a disgrace. AND I know he never had an El Monte police officer as a relative or friend! I didn't want to blame any one or two people because the truth is the owners simply don't have the money to take this property back to what it used to be and the community either cannot or will not take the measures to raise money and do it themselves. It's useless to place blame now, that won't fix this mess. I only wish I knew what would.:(
dr Lee

United States

#22 Jul 26, 2010
if they know this place is a drug hang out , then send the law in and stop playing games and clean that place up.......
jess fierro

United States

#23 Jul 26, 2010
In the Know wrote:
People who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. The local neighborhood watch dude Jesse Fierro came up in the 60's and 70's by selling jars of barbituates and amphitimines (reds, red devils, downers, whites, black beauties)to kids in that same neighborhood. Now that he is in his 60's and hanging out with retired cops he wants to act legit and tell on all the tweakers, what a fricken hypocrite.
Do something good with the El calvario Comm. Center, the neighborhood deserves it.
And jesse mind your own business!!
kiss my ex-cholo arsh ........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whittier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 4 hr broombroom 200,977
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr Bruin For Life 27,419
Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) 12 hr scoop 2,273
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Thu zhuzhamm 5,079
Tehama County District Attorney Gregg Cohen ann... (Mar '10) Thu janedoe 26
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Thu Pizza 16,000
Bimbo Bakeries fined by state for dangerous wor... (Apr '10) Thu bottles 37
•••

Whittier News Video

•••
•••

Whittier Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Whittier People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Whittier News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Whittier
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••