Court date set for DUI suspect

Court date set for DUI suspect

There are 911 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Jul 31, 2007, titled Court date set for DUI suspect. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

A Pico Rivera woman will be in court next month to face charges she was driving drunk when she hit a 15-year-old boy who later died of his injuries, officials said Friday. via Whittier Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

Check

Whittier, CA

#926 Jan 5, 2009
If she had been 100% at fault she would have done much more time. There were two wrongs in this tragic accident.
Time for REALITY CHECK

Castro Valley, CA

#927 Jan 5, 2009
Check wrote:
If she had been 100% at fault she would have done much more time. There were two wrongs in this tragic accident.
And I QUOTE:

-------

"Melissa Serrato, 28, of Pico Rivera pleaded to one count of vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated during a hearing Friday at Norwalk Superior Court.

Jane Robison, spokeswoman for the District Attorney's Office, said Serrato will be sentenced Jan. 7.

As part of the plea, prosecutors will dismiss one count of driving under the influence causing injury and one count of driving with a 0.08 blood-alcohol level."

---------

Nowhere do I see where she plead 80% guilty.

As ANYONE knows, a plea deal involves a give-and-take. She agreed to plead guilty in exchange for the D.A. dropping an additional charge. She did this for ONE reason only - to prevent herself from doing a LONGER jail term. That's it. Period. It has NOTHING to do with anything other than her own selfish reasons.

This plea deal has NOTHING to do with any blame being put on Martin. So, please, stop spreading your BS about Martin being blamed for any part of this incident.
Newspaper article

Santa Ana, CA

#928 Jan 5, 2009
This is in today's paper: http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_11371934...

Yes, Martin and Melissa each made a mistake. But it's how a person handles their mistakes that shows their true character. Melissa is fortunate to still have her life. She should show a little respect to the family from whose life she took. Maybe an apology would be a good start. Game over, she got her mickey-mouse sentence, now it's time to be real and be a human being. Show some respect.
Facts

La Mirada, CA

#929 Jan 5, 2009
Newspaper article wrote:
Yes, Martin and Melissa each made a mistake. But it's how a person handles their mistakes that shows their true character. Melissa is fortunate to still have her life. She should show a little respect to the family from whose life she took. Maybe an apology would be a good start. Game over, she got her mickey-mouse sentence, now it's time to be real and be a human being. Show some respect.
The investigating officer determined Granado was at fault for the collision because he was jaywalking, according to CHP Sgt. Jason Penner.

This also is a quote from paper. Have you overlooked this very important statment. Also if there was such a way to plea 80% Melissa would have done it because if you read this quote you know who else is at fault
Have fun doing your time

Irvine, CA

#930 Jan 5, 2009
INFO wrote:
<quoted text>Now,Now No NEED TO GET ANGRY and start calling names. It is you that can not handle the truth, maybe one day God will help you understand and let it sink in your head and you will be able to accept the truth, that this was an ACCIDENT.(ACCIDENT;an UNEXPECTED and UNDESIRABLE event;Something that occurs UNEXPECTEDLY or UNINTENTIONALLY). Sometimes with accidents there are fatalities and no one can explain why our love ones must have to go. THAT IS GODS WILL. So try to understand when I say Melissa is not a Killer or Murder or whatever other names you may have for her.(KILLER;One who;or with INTENT to murder)this was not the case, like the saying goes "TWO WRONGS NEVER MAKE A RIGHT". With my Deepest and most Sincere Sympathy, in this case it is the truth, both Melissa and Martin made a bad decision.
YOU MUST BE A DRUNK LIKE MELISSA GET IT RIGHT
No More

Whittier, CA

#931 Jan 5, 2009
We all should be able to LEARN something on both ends from this. Yes, think of what our actions are before getting behind a wheel with alcohol, yes pay attention while driving, not txting, talking on phone on radio etc. Teach our children to do the SAME. Not blaming anyone here but instead of lowering ourselves to name calling lets work at not letting this happen again. We here all the time Pedestrian stuck, kids are always on their ipods walking not paying attention. Not saying the boy did just saying lets all try to prevent this the best we can on both ends. Pedestrians do have the right away but lets all do our part as pedestrians and as drivers. I know I talk to my kids and tell them sometimes drivers can't see you so please pay attention, I tell my kids who drive, don't get on the phone and txt, and god forbid do not drink alchohol. I pray for both parties and for everyones safety in the future.
INFO

Studio City, CA

#932 Jan 5, 2009
Newspaper article wrote:
You like all the others, just assume you know how or what the Serrato family is feeling. I feel sorry for all of you that do not have common sense. The Serrato family can not talk to the Granado Family due to legal issues. If you think for one minute that this family has not prayed and has no remorse or sympathy for the Granado family well you are very mistaken. As a matter of fact the flowers that had no card on them for Martin, well HELLO guess what family they came from.
Newspaper article

Santa Ana, CA

#933 Jan 5, 2009
Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
The investigating officer determined Granado was at fault for the collision because he was jaywalking, according to CHP Sgt. Jason Penner.
This also is a quote from paper. Have you overlooked this very important statment.
You are so dead-set to defend your precious Melissa that you can't even properly read what I wrote.

I'll say it before and I'll say it again - they both made mistakes.

BUT - the Granados have proven what strong, loving and compassionate people they are. The Serratos have shown nothing but hate and denial. No compassion. No empathy. No humility.

We all make mistakes, but it's what we do AFTER we've made those mistakes that defines us.

Unfortunately, Martin doesn't have that option anymore. Melissa does, and she continues to disappoint.
Newspaper article

Santa Ana, CA

#934 Jan 5, 2009
INFO wrote:
<quoted text>You like all the others, just assume you know how or what the Serrato family is feeling. I feel sorry for all of you that do not have common sense. The Serrato family can not talk to the Granado Family due to legal issues. If you think for one minute that this family has not prayed and has no remorse or sympathy for the Granado family well you are very mistaken. As a matter of fact the flowers that had no card on them for Martin, well HELLO guess what family they came from.
Since Melissa has already pled guilty and accepted her deal, there are no more legal implications if she chose to speak to the Granados.

Maybe instead of sending Anonymous flowers, the Serratos could watch their behavior in the courtroom. Stop making rude noises. Stop giving dirty looks. Act respectful. Act remorseful. It was tragic what happened. Act appropriately. That would mean more to the Granados than a few flowers with no note.
Sgt Joe Friday

Castro Valley, CA

#935 Jan 5, 2009
INFO wrote:
As a matter of fact the flowers that had no card on them for Martin, well HELLO guess what family they came from.
Really? Mine were sent without a card, too.
INFO

Studio City, CA

#936 Jan 5, 2009
Newspaper article wrote:
<quoted text>
Since Melissa has already pled guilty and accepted her deal, there are no more legal implications if she chose to speak to the Granados.
Maybe instead of sending Anonymous flowers, the Serratos could watch their behavior in the courtroom. Stop making rude noises. Stop giving dirty looks. Act respectful. Act remorseful. It was tragic what happened. Act appropriately. That would mean more to the Granados than a few flowers with no note.
See it dosen't matter what the Serratos do, you and everyone else will always have something negative to say about them. You really believe that the Serratos are the only ones with bad Behavior in or out of the courtroom, giving dirty looks etc...for starters next time check out the little old lady with cane,young man,big girl and some of the others. Respect works both ways it's not a given,you have to earn the respect of others. The Serrato family have never been disrespectful to the Granados and if they could have talk to them they would have talk to the Granados a long time ago. Just because you hear nosies dosen't mean it is coming from the Serratos there are alot of people in court. JFI there is still some legal issues going on.
INFO

Studio City, CA

#937 Jan 5, 2009
Sgt Joe Friday wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Mine were sent without a card, too.
Well good for you. But I highly doubt that you sent any flowers since your an old want to be cop character from T.V. that no longer exist.
Sgt Joe Friday

Castro Valley, CA

#938 Jan 5, 2009
INFO wrote:
Well good for you. But I highly doubt that you sent any flowers since your an old want to be cop character from T.V. that no longer exist.
Whether or not I sent flowers is not the point nor is it for public consumption. That's private and it's between my family and the Granados.

I'm sorry you didn't pick up on my sarcasm. It was very "big" of you to claim that flowers without a card came from the Serrato family. We all know the Serratos didn't send any flowers and the fact that you are now claiming that flowers without a card were sent is incredibly pathetic.
Justice for Martin

Santa Ana, CA

#939 Jan 6, 2009
INFO wrote:
<quoted text>See it dosen't matter what the Serratos do, you and everyone else will always have something negative to say about them. You really believe that the Serratos are the only ones with bad Behavior in or out of the courtroom, giving dirty looks etc...for starters next time check out the little old lady with cane,young man,big girl and some of the others. Respect works both ways it's not a given,you have to earn the respect of others. The Serrato family have never been disrespectful to the Granados and if they could have talk to them they would have talk to the Granados a long time ago. Just because you hear nosies dosen't mean it is coming from the Serratos there are alot of people in court. JFI there is still some legal issues going on.
You truly have proven that you are one of the Serratos. So very quick to argue, be extremly stubborn, narrow minded and constantly defending behavior that is reprehensible. You are just like the rest of your family. Always making excuses. Open your eyes and clean up your behavior, if you truly are the God-fearing people that you claim you are.
No Sense

Irvine, CA

#940 Jan 6, 2009
INFO wrote:
<quoted text>You like all the others, just assume you know how or what the Serrato family is feeling. I feel sorry for all of you that do not have common sense. The Serrato family can not talk to the Granado Family due to legal issues. If you think for one minute that this family has not prayed and has no remorse or sympathy for the Granado family well you are very mistaken. As a matter of fact the flowers that had no card on them for Martin, well HELLO guess what family they came from.
Continue to support your little angel We all know the true facts and by the way she does not show remorse try asking her so called friend they all talk about her behind her back
INFO

Studio City, CA

#941 Jan 6, 2009
Sgt Joe Friday wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether or not I sent flowers is not the point nor is it for public consumption. That's private and it's between my family and the Granados.
I'm sorry you didn't pick up on my sarcasm. It was very "big" of you to claim that flowers without a card came from the Serrato family. We all know the Serratos didn't send any flowers and the fact that you are now claiming that flowers without a card were sent is incredibly pathetic.
Sorry you didn't pick up on my sarcasm, it seems like a second language to you. Even if the Serratos would have sent a card with their flowers, you still would have thought the Serratos had no remorse. Its a catch 22 for the Serratos, no matter what they do. YOU ARE THE PATHETIC ONE.
INFO

Studio City, CA

#942 Jan 6, 2009
Justice for Martin wrote:
<quoted text>
You truly have proven that you are one of the Serratos. So very quick to argue, be extremly stubborn, narrow minded and constantly defending behavior that is reprehensible. You are just like the rest of your family. Always making excuses. Open your eyes and clean up your behavior, if you truly are the God-fearing people that you claim you are.
I am not a Serrato,so don't assume. You on the other hand must be a SERRATO,since you know their behavior all so well. I am not arguing, obviously you do not know the difference between facts and opinions. Last time I check the truth dosen't count as an excuse. You say that the Serratos claim to be God fearing people. Since when have the Serratos ever claimed to Fear God. God is not someone to fear, God has been with the Serratos every step of the way.:)
Justice for Martin

Santa Ana, CA

#943 Jan 6, 2009
INFO wrote:
<quoted text>I am not a Serrato,so don't assume. You on the other hand must be a SERRATO,since you know their behavior all so well. I am not arguing, obviously you do not know the difference between facts and opinions. Last time I check the truth dosen't count as an excuse. You say that the Serratos claim to be God fearing people. Since when have the Serratos ever claimed to Fear God. God is not someone to fear, God has been with the Serratos every step of the way.:)
Geez, you sure are dense. "God fearing" is a term Christians use when they wish to explain that follow Christ and his teachings.

And I speak of facts. How the Serratos have behaved and carried themselves in public are facts. Anyone in the courtroom with them have witnessed their behavior and can attest to these facts.

But, since your "facts" are so "correct", yes, I'm sure I must be part of the Serrato family, because you told me so! Yes, all your statements must be as true as this one! Great argument.
Sgt Joe Friday

Castro Valley, CA

#944 Jan 6, 2009
INFO wrote:
Sorry you didn't pick up on my sarcasm, it seems like a second language to you. Even if the Serratos would have sent a card with their flowers, you still would have thought the Serratos had no remorse. Its a catch 22 for the Serratos, no matter what they do. YOU ARE THE PATHETIC ONE.
First and foremost, the Serratos did NOT send any flowers. So stop spreading lies.

And second, why would you ASSUME how the Granados would interpret your actions and exactly how is this a Catch-22? You're not going to know how the Granados will react until you actually DO SOMETHING! Assuming how they will react and/or claiming to have sent flowers anonymously is incredibly PATHETIC.

You have no idea who the Granados are or how they feel. You're so caught up in being concerned only with what's best for the Serratos that you're completely out of touch.

Clearly the Serratos have absolutely NO remorse and are only concerned with themselves. Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic!
Finally Sentencing Day

Irvine, CA

#945 Jan 7, 2009
Sgt Joe Friday wrote:
<quoted text>
First and foremost, the Serratos did NOT send any flowers. So stop spreading lies.
And second, why would you ASSUME how the Granados would interpret your actions and exactly how is this a Catch-22? You're not going to know how the Granados will react until you actually DO SOMETHING! Assuming how they will react and/or claiming to have sent flowers anonymously is incredibly PATHETIC.
You have no idea who the Granados are or how they feel. You're so caught up in being concerned only with what's best for the Serratos that you're completely out of touch.
Clearly the Serratos have absolutely NO remorse and are only concerned with themselves. Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic!
What a Blessing to have so many of Martin Jr. friends and family members there at the court house today. Rest in Peace Martin Jr.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whittier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Letter of Harassment and Physical Abuse by ... 1 hr BK Baca 16
in N out 2 hr Rkrlou 6
Clueless Delgado 4 hr Rkrlou 2
Councilwoman Vanessa Delgado Attempted to Extor... 4 hr Rkrlou 4
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr Trojan 32,289
News Water Replenishment District inks $110 million ... Jun 25 Sopr 7
News Swastika on black Biola studenta s door brings ... Jun 25 Featherstone Harb... 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Whittier Mortgages