'Beret Bandit' caught in Whittier

'Beret Bandit' caught in Whittier

There are 31 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Sep 12, 2008, titled 'Beret Bandit' caught in Whittier. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

The "Beret Bandit," after a month-long crime spree where he was suspected of committing at least eight robberies throughout Los Angeles and Orange counties, was arrested Thursday by the Whittier Police ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mich

San Gabriel, CA

#1 Sep 12, 2008
i knew him his name is vince....
Whittier Resident

Santa Monica, CA

#2 Sep 12, 2008
Is he related to Vince Cantu?
gardena

Columbus, OH

#3 Sep 12, 2008
i don't think this is the same person, the "polite bandit" is Vince Cantu.
matt

United States

#4 Sep 12, 2008
does anybody know somehow if bank robberies are increasing these days compared to say the last three years? it seems like i read about one locally nearly every other day. i would think they are the stupidest acts b/c any robber is virtually guarenteed to get caught ... these people are freaking morons.
correcting the jerks

United States

#5 Sep 12, 2008
mich wrote:
i knew him his name is vince....
Screw you
Whittier Resident

Santa Monica, CA

#7 Sep 15, 2008
correcting the jerks wrote:
Screw you
Hope Mich didn't offend you , Mrs. Cantu.
Oh yeah

San Diego, CA

#8 Sep 15, 2008
Caught and released..Doesn't look like they're going to charge Mr. Maushund for this..The pics looked just like him..I wonder what the deal is..
Whittier Resident

Santa Monica, CA

#9 Sep 15, 2008
Pretty sure Vince was caught and released, too.
WAR

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Sep 15, 2008
How did you know the correct spelling of his name? Do you know him? He wasn't released.
Oh yeah wrote:
Caught and released..Doesn't look like they're going to charge Mr. Maushund for this..The pics looked just like him..I wonder what the deal is..
WAR

Yuma, AZ

#13 Sep 15, 2008
He was "released" by one department and detained by another. Get your story straight. You have too much time on your hands! Get a life!
Vinces Neighbor wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes he WAS released. He was released TODAY. Here is his booking information:
Booking No.: 1271964 Last Name: MAUSHUND First Name: RICK Middle Name: THOMAS
Sex: M Race: W Date Of Birth: 09/08/1977 Age: 31 Hair: BLN Eyes: BLU Height: 510 Weight: 180
Charge Level:
ARREST
Arrest Date: 09/11/2008 Arrest Time: 1319 Arrest Agency: 1976 Agency Description: WHITTIER PD
Date Booked: 09/11/2008 Time Booked: 1810 Booking Location: 1976 Location Description: PD - WHITTIER
BAIL
Total Bail Amount: 0 Total Hold Bail Amount: 0.00 Grand Total: 0.00
HOUSING LOCATION
Permanent Housing Assigned Date: 09/15/2008 Assigned Time: 0107 Visitor Status: N
COURT
Next Court Code: WHI Next Court Date: 09/15/2008 Next Court Time: 0830 Next Court Case: 9999999999
Court Name: WHITTIER MUNICIPAL COURT
Court Address: 7339 S. PAINTER AVENUE Court City: WHITTIERUPT
RELEASE
Actual Release Date: 09/15/2008 Release Time: 1232
Well

United States

#15 Sep 16, 2008
So Vinces neighbor..you're not correct. He has been released from one agency and placed with another.
Whittier Resident

Santa Monica, CA

#16 Sep 16, 2008
Well, Well... Where's YOUR proof? Seems Vince's Neighbor showed you proof he was released but no one has shown any proof otherwise.
Yep

San Diego, CA

#17 Sep 18, 2008
Does anyone have any updates? Obviously WDN can't bother to do a follow-up story..There has been talk that he's been released to another agency..If that's the case, what agency? Any word about how much time he's facing? Is Leon getting larger??
some info

Manhattan Beach, CA

#18 Sep 18, 2008
I dont have alot of detail info, but I know he was transfered to a jail in Santa Ana and has been appointed a lawyer. That is a starting point for any actual friends that may be trying to reach him to offer any kind words. I know him myself as well, he isnt a bad guy, he fell on hard times and made a few mistakes. This whole ordeal is very trying on close friends and family
ttt

Washington, DC

#19 Sep 18, 2008
Neither of them were released. Beret and Polite are locked up.
Berets Neighbor

La Mirada, CA

#20 Sep 18, 2008
He was released from Whittier P.D. and turned over to the FBI for trial. They are going to charge him Federally. The treatment between the State and the Fed's is very different. He has been through some hard times and I have to agree that he will be given 3 squares a day and have a roof over his head. Something he hasnt had for a while. Some times you just try to do what you gotta do at the time. Even though it was pretty stupid and out of character. I couldnt believe it when I heard it either. I was shocked and bummed out, too. I have known him for a long time and he's still a friend.
Yep

San Diego, CA

#21 Sep 18, 2008
How are you guys getting this info? Oi..I hope he's alright..
WAR

Yuma, AZ

#22 Sep 19, 2008
I will post the address and booking # if anyone wants to write him a letter. I've visited him, I'm family.
Yep wrote:
How are you guys getting this info? Oi..I hope he's alright..
Nope

San Diego, CA

#23 Sep 19, 2008
Oh my gosh..That would be so great! I've tried to figure out how to get the info but wasn't sure if the jail would hand it out over the phone..I would love to write to him and just show my support..I guess we need the booking # and the module & cell #..That's what it says on the Santa Ana jail website at least..But you're family so you would probably know more about that than I would..I hope you're holding up well..My thoughts are with you AND Rick..This is KL, by the way..
RU SERIOUS

Santa Monica, CA

#24 Sep 19, 2008
Nope wrote:
Oh my gosh..That would be so great! I've tried to figure out how to get the info but wasn't sure if the jail would hand it out over the phone..I would love to write to him and just show my support..I guess we need the booking # and the module & cell #..That's what it says on the Santa Ana jail website at least..But you're family so you would probably know more about that than I would..I hope you're holding up well..My thoughts are with you AND Rick..This is KL, by the way..
Nope wrote:
He's not an idiot..Actually, he's a very intelligent guy..Maybe you shouldn't be so judgemental..
You retards crack me up! KL, you sure it's not K-Y? LOL

He's VERY intelligent? Don't you think that's a bit of a S T R E T C H?

Let me quote the Whittier Daily News article from 9/18/08:

-------

"He was arrested Sept. 11 after the credit union robbery. According to the criminal complaint, Whittier Police found a pellet gun on Maushund as well as a knife, a Recyler magazine and a note saying: "I HAVE A GUN - YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS! THE CASH NOW NO DYE PACKS, NO ALARMS!"

More details about the latest robberies emerged from the criminal complaint. In the complaint authorities wrote that a man wearing a black golf hat and folded newspaper hit the Union Bank in Fullerton on Sept. 5. The teller remembered the man presenting a note stating: "I have a gun. Empty out your cash drawer, or I will shoot you. No dye packs, no alarms, be quick, you have 30 seconds."

On Sept. 9, a man robbed the Washington Mutual in Whittier, also using a demand note and carrying a rolled up newspaper. Witnesses said the robber got into a waiting taxi after the heist, and they saw a large cloud of red smoke fill the cab and surrounding area. Authorities believe the smoke came from a dye pack given to the bandit by a teller.

The culprit was seen throwing a newspaper full of money out of the taxi. Witnesses jotted down the license plate number."

-------

Oh yea, he's VERY intelligent all right! NOT! What a dumb ass. Not only did he get caught, HE GOT CAUGHT RED-HANDED, LITERALLY! The note, the gun, EVERYTHING! Yup, real smart.

Say goodbye to your friend. He's going away for a long long time. Yea, get his contact info because next time you visit him in prison, you'll probably want to bring him some K-Y lube. Or, is it KL lube? LOL!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whittier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gang member held in shooting of 9-year-old (Oct '09) 10 hr TurkBandit 46
Randolph (Randy) Owen Fulkerson (Jul '13) Sat Prid 4
News Police aware of Mongols' presence (Oct '08) Sat uncool gay hair 193
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Fri Papi Chulo 32,247
News Share remembrances and express condolences for ... Apr 27 KM De Palma 1
News La Mirada takeover? (Sep '07) Apr 26 pato vlm since 58 347
News Liking Parnell Park (May '08) Apr 26 Jane 40
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Whittier Mortgages