3 Killed In Single-Car Crash In Whittier

3 Killed In Single-Car Crash In Whittier

There are 1283 comments on the cbs2.com story from Apr 4, 2007, titled 3 Killed In Single-Car Crash In Whittier. In it, cbs2.com reports that:

Three people were killed Tuesday night in a single-car accident in Whittier, authorities said.

The collision occurred about 7 p.m. on Colima Road, north of Mar Vista Street, said Officer Diana Salazar of the Whittier Police Department.

The driver survived and was taken to University of California Irvine Medical Center. She told police she lost control of the car, a Toyota Scion. A man in his early 20s was taken by helicopter to County-USC Medical Center, Salazar said.

Two men and one woman in their early 20s died at the scene in the compact car, she said. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at cbs2.com.

Update

Valyermo, CA

#734 Sep 1, 2007
Reckless driving cited in fatal Whittier crash
By Ruby Gonzales Staff Writer

WHITTIER - A Whittier woman's reckless driving caused the April 3 crash on Colima Road that killed three of her passengers, police said Friday.

Whittier police investigators concluded it was a case of vehicular manslaughter and turned over the case on Thursday to the District Attorney's Office.

"We've ruled out everything except for the driver's driving. All indications are (there was) nothing in her system that would alter her driving ability," said Whittier police Sgt. Dan Lowe.

He didn't go into specific details on what police believed caused the collision.

"She definitely was operating the vehicle in a reckless and gross negligent manner," Lowe said. He didn't say how fast Xenia Guerra, 18, of Whittier was driving.

Police said Guerra was cited for vehicular manslaughter on the day of the collision and is out on her own recognizance. She is set to appear Sept. 20 in Whittier Court.

Jane Robison, spokeswoman for the District Attorney's Office, said Friday that no charges have yet been filed against Guerra.

The collision happened on southbound Colima Road, just north of Mar Vista Street. A 2006 Toyota Scion was traveling south on Colima Road when it lost control, hit a tree and was sheared in half.

Passengers Albert Joseph Valasquez, 19, and Jennifer Unzueta, 18, both of Whittier; and Joshua David Gutierrez, 19, of Pico Rivera died at the scene.

Police don't believe that Valasquez was wearing a seat belt at the time.

The Coroner's Office ruled the teens died of multiple traumatic injuries, according to the autopsy reports.

Guerra and another passenger, Hector Saenz, 18, of Whittier, were injured.

Lowe said the Scion was originally heading northbound on Colima Road. At some point, it made a U-turn and was traveling southbound when the crash occurred.

At one time, he said Guerra was swerving in and out of traffic.

THIS WAS PRINTED ON SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 1ST IN THE WHITTIER DAILY NEWS. SO THE NEXT COURT DATE IS THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 20TH AT THE WHITTIER COURT.
I hope she ROTS in JAIL

Brea, CA

#735 Sep 4, 2007
Update wrote:
"We've ruled out everything except for the driver's driving." said Whittier police Sgt. Dan Lowe.
I think that quote speaks volumes. Let's hope justice is served on September 20th.
miss u cuzn

Whittier, CA

#736 Sep 4, 2007
the newspaper got the date and place wrong. the court is at norwalk on the 19th of october.

please show ur support for my cuzn and the others affected by this tragedy.

NOT THE 20TH AT WHITTIER
ITS 10/19 AT NORWALK
Court date

San Marino, CA

#737 Sep 4, 2007
So which one of you is trying to mislead us? Is it Sept. 20 at the Whittier court or Oct. 19 at the Norwalk court?
I hope she ROTS in JAIL

Brea, CA

#738 Sep 4, 2007
Court date wrote:
So which one of you is trying to mislead us? Is it Sept. 20 at the Whittier court or Oct. 19 at the Norwalk court?
I was thinking the same thing. I'm working on clarification and will post as soon as I get it.
Concerned Father

Brea, CA

#739 Sep 5, 2007
I contacted the author of the story that was quoted above and requested she confirm the date because of conflicting information. This is the response I received from her about a half hour ago:

"Dear Sir,

The DA filed charges today and the Sept. 20th date at Whittier
Court is the arraignment.

- Ruby Gonzales"

I would suggest that anyone interested in being present at her arraignment contact the Whittier Courthouse to confirm the date and time.
sense

Lincolnshire, IL

#740 Sep 6, 2007
Driver charged in fatal crash
By Ruby Gonzales, Staff Writer

WHITTIER - Prosecutors filed vehicular manslaughter charges Wednesday against the driver of a 2006 silver Toyota Scion that crashed on Colima Road, killing three of her passengers.

The driver, Xenia Delilia Guerra, 18, and a fourth passenger were injured in the April 3 crash. Both live in Whittier.

In addition to the three felony counts of vehicular manslaughter, the District Attorney's Office also charged Guerra with one count of misdemeanor reckless driving causing bodily injury.

"I can say there was no alcohol involved. She was driving at a high rate of speed," said Jane Robison, spokeswoman for the District Attorney's Office.

Robison didn't say how fast Guerra was going before the crash.

She said if convicted, Guerra faces nearly nine years in prison. Guerra's arraignment is set for Sept. 20 at Whittier Court.

Prosecutors are asking the judge to set bail at $150,000.

Whittier police Sgt. Dan Lowe said Guerra, who was cited April 3 for vehicular manslaughter, is now out on her own recognizance.

Guerra couldn't be reached for comment Wednesday........

So I thought this was caused by a malfuction of the vehicle, isn't that what her family-cousin claimed?

Hope she gets the max of 9 years!
Where is everybody

AOL

#741 Sep 6, 2007
Where did TIG and Ofelia went....
Maybe they went to help Xenia pack...
Or maybe

Glendale, CA

#742 Sep 6, 2007
they got off the computer and got a life...kinda like you should :)
Or maybe this

San Marino, CA

#743 Sep 6, 2007
Maybe "Tig" and "Ofelia" are Xenia.
PCR

Whittier, CA

#744 Sep 6, 2007
Or maybe wrote:
they got off the computer and got a life...kinda like you should :)
Good for them, maybe you should follow your on advice :) Oh yeah, maybe there out spending some time with Xenia before the next few years of her life are over because she will be sitting in a jail cell
haha

Glendale, CA

#745 Sep 6, 2007
i wish i was as cool as you are - cowering behind a computer screen and fighting with complete strangers about a topic you've only read about. grow up, shut up, and do something productive with your life.

oh, and you should tune into the soap network since you love observing other people's dramatic lives so much.
I hope she ROTS in JAIL

Brea, CA

#746 Sep 6, 2007
haha wrote:
i wish i was as cool as you are - cowering behind a computer screen
Maybe we could be as cool as you, Xenia, and drive so recklessly we kill 3 of our "friends". You know what they say, with friends like you...

Post while you can, sweetie, you're going away for a LONG time.
Update again

Valyermo, CA

#747 Sep 6, 2007
Driver charged in fatal crash
By Ruby Gonzales, Staff Writer
WHITTIER - Prosecutors filed vehicular manslaughter charges Wednesday against the driver of a 2006 silver Toyota Scion that crashed on Colima Road, killing three of her passengers.
The driver, Xenia Delilia Guerra, 18, and a fourth passenger were injured in the April 3 crash. Both live in Whittier.
In addition to the three felony counts of vehicular manslaughter, the District Attorney's Office also charged Guerra with one count of misdemeanor reckless driving causing bodily injury.
"I can say there was no alcohol involved. She was driving at a high rate of speed," said Jane Robison, spokeswoman for the District Attorney's Office.
Robison didn't say how fast Guerra was going before the crash.
She said if convicted, Guerra faces nearly nine years in prison. Guerra's arraignment is set for Sept. 20 at Whittier Court.
Prosecutors are asking the judge to set bail at $150,000.
Whittier police Sgt. Dan Lowe said Guerra, who was cited April 3 for vehicular manslaughter, is now out on her own recognizance.
Guerra couldn't be reached for comment Wednesday.
No other car was involved in the collision. Investigators ruled out drugs and alcohol as factors in the crash. Lowe said the collision was caused by Guerra driving "in a reckless and gross negligent manner."
She was reportedly swerving in and out of traffic at one point.
Lowe said the Scion, which was carrying five people, was originally traveling north on Colima Road when it made a U-turn and headed south.
While southbound on Colima Road, the car went out of control just north of Mar Vista Avenue and slammed into a tree.
The impact tore the vehicle in two. The parts came to rest within 25 to 30 feet of each other.
Three of the passengers, Albert Joseph Valasquez, 19, of Whittier and Jennifer Unzueta, 18, of Whittier, and Joshua David Gutierrez, 19, of Pico Rivera, were pronounced dead at the scene.
Gutierrez was pinned inside the wreckage by the back seat while Valasquez and Unzueta were found lying on the road, according to the Coroner's reports.
The Coroner's Office said Valasquez, Unzueta and Gutierrez died of multiple traumatic injuries which included broken bones, skull fractures plus injuries and lacerations to the internal organs.
Guerra was injured as well as Hector Saenz, 18, of Whittier who was sitting directly behind her. He was flown by helicopter to the Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center while Guerra was taken to UC Irvine Medical Center.
"I know (Saenz) had a laceration to the head area that required staples," Lowe said.
[email protected]

THIS WAS TODAY'S ARTICLE IN THE WHITTIER DAILY NEWS. XENIA WILL ONLY FACE NINE (9) YEARS, IF CONVICTED!!!!! SO AJ, JOSHY, AND JENNY'S LIVES ARE ONLY WORTH THREE YEARS EACH ACCORDING TO THIS INDICTMEN...
haha

Glendale, CA

#748 Sep 6, 2007
Thats funny...i dont ever remember taking xenias side OR killing anyone. You are a paranoid, pathetic, waste of a life and you need to stop running your mouth. Now, have a fantastic night waiting around for another innocent life or three to be taken so you can go disrespect their friends and families in a NEW forum.
haha

Glendale, CA

#749 Sep 6, 2007
thats funny...i dont remember ever taking xenias side OR killing anyone. you are a pathetic, paranoid, waste of a human being. any three of those kids would've made a better impact on this world than you will EVER make. now, have a great night waiting around for yet another innocent life or three to be taken so you can go and disrespect their friends and families in a NEW forum.
Concerned Father

Brea, CA

#750 Sep 7, 2007
Update again wrote:
THIS WAS TODAY'S ARTICLE IN THE WHITTIER DAILY NEWS. XENIA WILL ONLY FACE NINE (9) YEARS, IF CONVICTED!!!!! SO AJ, JOSHY, AND JENNY'S LIVES ARE ONLY WORTH THREE YEARS EACH ACCORDING TO THIS INDICTMEN...
And Michael Vick faces up to FIVE years for what he did... What's wrong with this picture? Our judicial system needs a reality check. Since when is a human life worth less than 3 years? What a shame.
and you

Whittier, CA

#751 Sep 7, 2007
haha wrote:
i wish i was as cool as you are - cowering behind a computer screen and fighting with complete strangers about a topic you've only read about. grow up, shut up, and do something productive with your life.
oh, and you should tune into the soap network since you love observing other people's dramatic lives so much.
and you.....were is your name?? take your own advice which is "grow up, shut up and do something productive with your life" look at yourself, you are coming down on people for reading/posting on here so why are you on here?
are you joking

Glendora, CA

#752 Sep 14, 2007
I hope she ROTS in JAIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe we could be as cool as you, Xenia, and drive so recklessly we kill 3 of our "friends". You know what they say, with friends like you...
Post while you can, sweetie, you're going away for a LONG time.
first off..its sad you think what you say here matters to anyone anymore..whats going to happen will happen whether she goes away or stays you will not have anything to with it and why are you typing as if you are typing to xenia? xenia does not even come on this website because of the immaturity in most of you people like i hope she rots in jail. this boy or girl has been on here for a while responding to everything anyone says because the person up here is right you really have nothing better to do then go on forums, look for a incident involving a delicate subject and say you hope everyone goes to jail stirring up a mess and causing nothing but arguments between people your pathetic grow up, realize the situation for what it is and act accordingly. be mature about it, see it as your loved one in xenias shoes and maybe you would stop but then a low life as yourself (i hope she rots in jail) would probably go against a loved one just based on which side has a bigger crowd
are you joking

Glendora, CA

#753 Sep 14, 2007
and you wrote:
<quoted text>
and you.....were is your name?? take your own advice which is "grow up, shut up and do something productive with your life" look at yourself, you are coming down on people for reading/posting on here so why are you on here?
why would you ask someone where their name is when your name is not even on here..and this person is simply saying that your all immature,have nothing better to do, REALLY impressed by what your typing.probably think that your making a stand in the name of justice or as if your quote or saying will matter..NOPE you get a life..YOU shut UP

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whittier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 38 min Trojan 32,326
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 6 hr Reality Bites 6,741
Whittier Varrio Locos Gang (Jun '07) 20 hr CRIPS RUN WHITTIER 1,367
News La Mirada doctor charged with sexual battery (Mar '10) Wed tellinitlikeitis 61
News Five Glendale police officers file suit against... (Jan '10) Wed Susan 535
News Gang member held in shooting of 9-year-old (Oct '09) Aug 21 P up hoes down 48
News Plea deal offered in sex case (Jul '10) Aug 16 Truth Seeker 13

Whittier Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Whittier Mortgages