State parks house Ike evacuees

Sep 13, 2008 Full story: News 8 Austin

Nearly 4,000 evacuees are continuing to call 36 state parks home this weekend. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department said Garner State Park has the most evacuees, with more than 1,600 of them.

Full Story
yeh yeh

Austin, TX

#1 Sep 15, 2008
I work for a state park and this is the most amazing thing I have ever been involved in we have taken in about 500 evacuees. We have been providing them with 3 meals a day and the volunteers that have came out to help are amazing non stop. The first night we were overwhelmed because we were unsure of the paperwork that needed to be done but we have some amazing staff that got right in and started to organize the meals and donations of neccesities and other items to get people in and settled for the night or for how ever long they are needed.

“Pet me or I'll bite you”

Since: Jul 07

Richardson, Texas

#2 Sep 15, 2008
That's outstanding! Having gone to UT myself, I know that they have a wonderful city and a great environment to stay in during a scary and difficult time.

Well done.
abc_123

United States

#3 Sep 15, 2008
Happy to hear that at least Monahans took 2 in. Or those were the only people they were sent. Texas is a great state and I thank God for the people in it. I pray for everyone who was effected by Ike. I pray they soon get their lives back in order.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
In Texas, Bush father and son hit campaign trial Oct 16 L Morales 12
Abbott Music Thread (Sep '13) Sep 28 Musikologist 6
Body of Texas sheriff's deputy found in lake Sep 20 paddyomalley 1
The TYC facility in San Saba may soon become an... (Apr '07) Sep '14 APE retawed 145
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Sep '14 Gasman 673
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Sep '14 Gasman 526
Texas Abortion Law Could Send Women Across Borders Aug '14 paddeyomalley 1

Whitney News Video

Whitney Dating
Find my Match

Whitney Jobs

Whitney People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Whitney News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Whitney

Personal Finance