Sheriff orders supervisors back on st...

Sheriff orders supervisors back on streets to cut overtime costs

There are 15 comments on the LA Daily News story from Mar 2, 2010, titled Sheriff orders supervisors back on streets to cut overtime costs. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Asked to take a $128 million budget cut, Sheriff Lee Baca is proposing to slash the inmate population at a 1,900-bed Castaic jail and is ordering his command staff, including himself, to go back out on patrol to reduce costs, officials said Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

escapefromLA

Beverly Hills, CA

#1 Mar 2, 2010
will they even remember how to do patrol??
Just my Opinion

Valencia, CA

#2 Mar 2, 2010
All I can say is Wow!
oldww2vet

Washoe Valley, NV

#3 Mar 3, 2010
i always get nasty "looks" and no reasonable answer from police chiefs, deputy chiefs and same rank sheriffs: why all the stars? in ww2 ithink total of 4 or 5 : general of the armies with 5 stars, about 8, generals: 4stars. i do know a sheriff in nv who has "eagle",= chicken colonel in us army air corps(preceded usaf) and like the medical corps, we were never called "corps, as per obama, but corrrmen, sound it out. ok we wuz flyboys, an dare you not to call a nurse a corps!
Barney

Grass Valley, CA

#4 Mar 3, 2010
Hey Andy, Can I go on patrol with you?

Sure Barn.
Anamouse

El Segundo, CA

#5 Mar 3, 2010
I find it quite interesting that their clearing out the jails by letting real criminals walk free but at the same time I know someone on parole who's offense was that he shot his mouth off while he was at home, and then went to sleep.

If they'd quit arresting peopole for stupid things perhaps they could focus on the real bad guys.
FedUp

El Monte, CA

#6 Mar 3, 2010
Well then Antonovich, you figure out a way to keep them in jail without new taxes or fees.
Maybe CA should lossen up on citizens ability to have and carry arms to protect themselves.
bad boy

La Quinta, CA

#7 Mar 3, 2010
"In the last 20 years, we've seen several budget crises," Remige said. "And our members have endured cuts similar to - even worse than the ones currently being implemented by the Sheriff's Department."

Members have also Endured Bloated Overtime payments, bogus bonus payments, little to No Oversight in OverPayments, and rampant disregard to LA's fiscal crisis. see link:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/12...
Anamouse

El Segundo, CA

#8 Mar 3, 2010
FedUp wrote:
Maybe CA should lossen up on citizens ability to have and carry arms to protect themselves.
Oh no we can't do that; crime WOULD go down and then they couldn't justify keeping a huge police department.

They would rather follow Austrailia and the UK's examples, where they bans guns and crime went way up, and then they can justify spending even more tax money to make the police department even bigger.

This isn't about helping us by reducing crime, it's about making their empire bigger and more secure by making believe we need them.

We need them like serfs needed well armed overloards.

A just and fair government doesn't fear their citizens and need to disarm them, they want them strong so they can defend the country against anyone that would try and oppress them.
frank

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Mar 3, 2010
All they do is impound cars it's their loss.
trouble

United States

#10 Mar 3, 2010
escapefromLA wrote:
will they even remember how to do patrol??
not to mention the fact that a significant portion probably never worked much patrol in the first place.
Truth

Coachella, CA

#11 Mar 3, 2010
As per the prisoners:
If they are illegal aliens; SEND THEM BACK
If they are repeat child molesters Hang them
If they are repeat drug dealers, start cutting off hands
No TVS, No air conditioning, no visitors, no drugs, no congical visits.
PUT THEM TO WORK. NO WORK, NO FOOD. They wanted to go to prison, let them suffer. Prison is a punishment not a country club.

As per the Sheriffs:
Staff properly to cut overtime. No overtime. However, we need to support them and allow them to do their job. Get them out on the streets and out of their offices doing jobs civilians can do. Take a shot at a cop, HANG THEM.
voodoochildatlar ge

Dayton, NV

#12 Mar 3, 2010
great news........dam glad to hear it....you reap what you sow......
whuutttt

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#13 Mar 3, 2010
hmmm....high level managers that probably haven't seen patrol duty in years......getting back to their roots....should be interesting on what calls they get dispatched to.....

I think the sheriff's dept should save some money by also getting them out of all their other kingdom gravy train assignments, and send those deputies back to patrol which is what the sheriff's dept is supposed to do......having them do paramedic services, search and rescue, hazmat, and other duplicated services is unfair to the citizens. my two cents
classified

Millville, CA

#14 Mar 10, 2010
Truth wrote:
As per the prisoners:
If they are illegal aliens; SEND THEM BACK
If they are repeat child molesters Hang them
If they are repeat drug dealers, start cutting off hands
No TVS, No air conditioning, no visitors, no drugs, no congical visits.
PUT THEM TO WORK. NO WORK, NO FOOD. They wanted to go to prison, let them suffer. Prison is a punishment not a country club.
As per the Sheriffs:
Staff properly to cut overtime. No overtime. However, we need to support them and allow them to do their job. Get them out on the streets and out of their offices doing jobs civilians can do. Take a shot at a cop, HANG THEM.

Hey Cheney, how ya doing? Gas any Iraqis lately? Burn the Constitution much? Or is it that you just wipe your ass with it?

Since 85% of your prisoner population is drug related, don't you think it's time to end the drug war?
govtjoke

Monrovia, CA

#15 Apr 28, 2010
order them to pay for more of their health care, reduce their pension, and take a pay cut. then maybe his attempts will have merit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitmore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dean Furney (Oct '15) May 5 Cathy Terrell 2
News Country legend Merle Haggard dead at 79 on his ... Apr '16 rbowenby 1
News Letter to Editor: Campaign promises (May '10) Oct '15 manton resident 48
Shannon Schottel (Jul '15) Oct '15 CathyinCali 4
News Memorial Day ceremonies have personal touch (May '15) Jun '15 Birds Landing Bob 3
News Jewish Cop Busted Mel Gibson (Aug '06) Apr '15 Texas_Ave 391
News Man 'Cooked' Ex-Girlfriend's Dog And Fed It To Her (Sep '14) Oct '14 Grace Nerissa 17
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Whitmore Mortgages