ACLU faults L.A. jail for violence at...

ACLU faults L.A. jail for violence at crowded jail

There are 20 comments on the LA Daily News story from May 5, 2010, titled ACLU faults L.A. jail for violence at crowded jail. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

The ACLU says it has documented scores of complaints about physical abuse at the crowded Men's Central Jail in downtown Los Angeles.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Bureaucratic Mess

Pasadena, CA

#1 May 5, 2010
They should sue the prison guard unions that soak up all of the tax dollars that could be used to keep jails clean and safe in order to pay prison guards exorbitant sums in salary, overtime and benefits, including allowing them to retire as early as age 45.
Tony

Morehead City, NC

#2 May 5, 2010
Nah, couldnt be that there is violence in the jail because the inmates are convicted criminals, murderers, rapists, thugs and subhuman individuals. Couldn't be that.
old guy

Van Nuys, CA

#3 May 5, 2010
I never have agread with the ACLU but this time they are right BUT all the jails and prisons in the USA only teach bad folks how to be even meaner...teach them a trade and put them to work 6 days a week 10 hours a day and watch how many never come back...and put the laid off teachers in the jail system and get them all a GED or more...then there is no reason to back in ....and if they do well hang um. they are just no good....but put them all to work NOW ! they can clean parks and schools and roads...paint over graffiti ....
Richard Cory

Valencia, CA

#4 May 5, 2010
So now the A.C.L.U. is going to file yet another extortion lawsuit so they can settle with the city can continue to fill their coffers.9it's only about money)
If the A.C.L.U.would let us get rid of the illegal aliens and EXECUTE THE MURDERS(in less than 25 years) we could have plenty of room.
Private

Los Angeles, CA

#5 May 5, 2010
Some people are in jail that can be rehabilitated. Going to jail should be both punitive and therapeautic. People make bad decisions sometimes for reasons that they only know and understand, sometimes at that moment they feel there is no other way. However, they are people from all walks of life and deserve proper teaching, proper treatment, access to religious service and education. Some of us are more advanced both mentally and spiritually and it's the job of more evolved people to assist people who are not as fortunate to become more evolved too. We as people need to set an example for other people to look up to. We are not here to judge, we are here to advance and better.

People do have to learn by suffering consequences but they also have to learn by being taught right from wrong, finding a better way of doing things. Punitive and therapeautic is the only way.
1900innoho

Newhall, CA

#6 May 5, 2010
How about the reason for violence is that they are violent offenders???? DUH.....the ACLU are just so damn smart. Give me a break. Jail and prison should be hell on earth, not the country clubs they are. Crowded? Don't like it? Then don't commit the crime, idiot!!
Bureaucratic Mess

Pasadena, CA

#7 May 5, 2010
I tend to agree that our jail system is an abuse of civil rights ... though too many criminals are unconcerned about other people's civil rights: like the right to life, their money, etc.

But we must start segregating violent criminals from non-violent criminals. And if non-violent criminals show a violent streak in jail, transfer them over with the violent scum.

People in jail really shouldn't have to worry about being raped and beaten to death. And we can't afford to have people who make one or two small mistake coming out more hateful and mean than going in.

But other than that, I'm for keeping them as uncomfortable and miserable as possible. It ain't a hotel where you pop in to have your teeth cleaned.
UR notsosmart

Bangkok, Thailand

#8 May 5, 2010
So violent prisoners and jailers using excessive force.Com mon sense says the excessive force is necessary and not used enough.ACLU is run by joos,enough said.
theedge

San Marcos, CA

#9 May 5, 2010
I posted a truth here about a certain ignorant, foul breath, wannabe man named deputy simson. He's a disgrace to the department and has violated a lot of human rights which I can attest to. But I see now that the truth cannot be printed by this news agency....Whatever happen to freedom of Speech????
COMIC GUY

Santa Monica, CA

#10 May 5, 2010
ACLU, always takes the side of the criminals. I sure wish their members become victims of the suspects they defend. It's prison, not Disneyland. Too bad Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio isn't in charge.
Do you Question Me

Aiea, HI

#11 May 5, 2010
Instead of blaming prison guards: we should blame the ACLU and then lock them up with the same criminals they love so much.
LBZ

United States

#12 May 5, 2010
Simple. If you don't like the accommodations don't go. I stayed at a Hilton in Hawaii once and didn't care for the service. So guess what? I didn't go back!

“Be the change you want to see!”

Since: Dec 08

Rio Rancho, NM

#13 May 5, 2010
ACLU rule:'Never blame the criminals."
Don

Sun Valley, CA

#14 May 5, 2010
Been to the county several times.(before you clowns start on me..was involved in a custody dispute, never hurt anyone..what they charge you with is "terrorist threats" if you never lift a finger to anyone or even speak to supposed victims..it's their racket and handed out like candy on Halloween)

Men's Central is unbelievably FILTHY! Packed us in cages 12+ men in a cage designed for 4. Trustee dorms were a civilized part of Twin Towers. Such areas were ok, but all old regions of the jail are HELL!

Deputies beat people just because they don't like someones appearance.(I kid you not) Love to throw mace grenades, put on their riot gear and kick ass. One minute everyone is sleeping, next moment, one hears a bunch of boots stomping and chaos set loose. For you folks that have never been locked up, it's like trying to breathe in a bank vault after someone's deployed a grenade with everything shut down tight. Oftentimes ventilation was turned off for days and the CO2 level increase causes everyone to become semi conscious.

Deputies will keep prisoners in a bus in underground areas with the motor running to fumigate everyone and see who freaks out. It's a torture game they like to play, savoring beating the inmates that may have psychological issues and become hysterical. The psych floor 7 must be experienced if only for the stench value. You don't want to work on that floor as a trustee.

Broken jaws are handed out by inmates on a daily basis along with frequent face slicing using a razor attached to a toothbrush. You haven't lived till you hear guys screaming, see the blood gush out and watch attackers flush the evidence with no one ever seeing a thing.

ACLU needs to do a job and DEMAND conditions at least as humane as a dog pound. Come on man. Not everyone in there is even adjudicated guilty and has a right against cruel and unusual punishment.(8th Amendment) Another thing they do is spike one's bail to millions of $'s when the felony schedule for example states bail should be $50k.
Don

Sun Valley, CA

#15 May 5, 2010
1900innoho wrote:
How about the reason for violence is that they are violent offenders???? DUH.....the ACLU are just so damn smart. Give me a break. Jail and prison should be hell on earth, not the country clubs they are. Crowded? Don't like it? Then don't commit the crime, idiot!!
You're retarded, man. This one kid I met was responding to an ad for an apartment with his gf. Well, some snoopy bitty called the cops and turned over his car plate when all he did was look through the front door window.(Allegedly someone had stolen a camera during a real estate tour). Kid got charged with burglary, spent $10k on an attorney and the case was thrown out before preliminary hearing. I got charged with making terrorist threats against an ex's bf, when I had never even spoken to the guy. Bail was set at $2 million. I could go through over 30 cases were charges were brought against people with fabricated, bogus or other ridiculous "evidence". Hopefully, you'll get locked up one day for nothing, jerk! Ever heard of all the illegitimate cases created by LAPD or CPD.
Again

United States

#16 May 5, 2010
Again ACLU trying to find a way to get tax payers to either foot the bill for accomodating rodents or finding a way to sue LA county which actually means hard earned tax dollars will fund all the trials . Thank you ACLU hopefully one day your doners dont give you enough money to keep running your operation. And for those who claim to have been in county jail, maybe you believe it was not for you, but im sure you wont commit any stupid idiotic mistakes that would put you back in there. And besides isnt everybody innocent that is in jail. ACLU has your back you bunch of loosers.
Sally

Sun Valley, CA

#17 May 5, 2010
Again wrote:
Again ACLU trying to find a way to get tax payers to either foot the bill for accomodating rodents or finding a way to sue LA county which actually means hard earned tax dollars will fund all the trials . Thank you ACLU hopefully one day your doners dont give you enough money to keep running your operation. And for those who claim to have been in county jail, maybe you believe it was not for you, but im sure you wont commit any stupid idiotic mistakes that would put you back in there. And besides isnt everybody innocent that is in jail. ACLU has your back you bunch of loosers.
you'll fit in good in a Marxist country you commie. no bill of rights for punks like you!
Mark

United States

#18 May 5, 2010
Private wrote:
Some people are in jail that can be rehabilitated. Going to jail should be both punitive and therapeautic. People make bad decisions sometimes for reasons that they only know and understand, sometimes at that moment they feel there is no other way. However, they are people from all walks of life and deserve proper teaching, proper treatment, access to religious service and education. Some of us are more advanced both mentally and spiritually and it's the job of more evolved people to assist people who are not as fortunate to become more evolved too. We as people need to set an example for other people to look up to. We are not here to judge, we are here to advance and better.
People do have to learn by suffering consequences but they also have to learn by being taught right from wrong, finding a better way of doing things. Punitive and therapeautic is the only way.
NO, Private! It's not society's job, or the government's job, or anyone else's job to teach right and wrong. IT'S THE PARENTS' JOB!!! And that isn't being done in this country anymore. We have teenagers having babies without any responsible Daddys around, and that's the problem. 75% out of wedlock birth in the Black communities, and 50% in the Hispanic communities. Stop with your liberal crap! We ARE here to judge! We honest, hard working, tax paying, responsible people are getting tired of these animals being excused for their animal behavior. Enough with the understanding and compassion. We've tried that, and it doesn't work. Only good parenting works. After that, it's too late. BTW, it's really annoying that you claim to be more advanced both mentally and spiritually, and more evolved, and that those who aren't need special treatment. See, that's the intellectual liberal bigoted problem. In my opinion, if you stopped looking down on people, and started DEMANDING THAT THEY MEET THE SAME STANDARDS AS EVERYONE ELSE, then we'd begin to see some progress. Conservatives want to raise everyone UP to a higher level, and Liberals want to bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator.
UR notsosmart

Bangkok, Thailand

#19 May 6, 2010
Don wrote:
Been to the county several times.(before you clowns start on me..was involved in a custody dispute, never hurt anyone..what they charge you with is "terrorist threats" if you never lift a finger to anyone or even speak to supposed victims..it's their racket and handed out like candy on Halloween)
Men's Central is unbelievably FILTHY! Packed us in cages 12+ men in a cage designed for 4. Trustee dorms were a civilized part of Twin Towers. Such areas were ok, but all old regions of the jail are HELL!
Deputies beat people just because they don't like someones appearance.(I kid you not) Love to throw mace grenades, put on their riot gear and kick ****. One minute everyone is sleeping, next moment, one hears a bunch of boots stomping and chaos set loose. For you folks that have never been locked up, it's like trying to breathe in a bank vault after someone's deployed a grenade with everything shut down tight. Oftentimes ventilation was turned off for days and the CO2 level increase causes everyone to become semi conscious.
Deputies will keep prisoners in a bus in underground areas with the motor running to fumigate everyone and see who freaks out. It's a torture game they like to play, savoring beating the inmates that may have psychological issues and become hysterical. The psych floor 7 must be experienced if only for the stench value. You don't want to work on that floor as a trustee.
Broken jaws are handed out by inmates on a daily basis along with frequent face slicing using a razor attached to a toothbrush. You haven't lived till you hear guys screaming, see the blood gush out and watch attackers flush the evidence with no one ever seeing a thing.
ACLU needs to do a job and DEMAND conditions at least as humane as a dog pound. Come on man. Not everyone in there is even adjudicated guilty and has a right against cruel and unusual punishment.(8th Amendment) Another thing they do is spike one's bail to millions of $'s when the felony schedule for example states bail should be $50k.
Custody dispute,you are just another criminal.Glad you got stepped on,I am sure you deserved it.
BimboIsCorrect

Fullerton, CA

#20 May 7, 2010
Sally wrote:
<quoted text>you'll fit in good in a Marxist country you ****. no bill of rights for punks like you!

Sally a marxist is to harsh a word to describe his comments but I figure your a peace loving liberal who would defend a criminal who might have killed a person for a few bucks. But then I cant call you a liberal because i dont know you just like you dont know the person who wrote the last comment but im sure everyone in prison has a right to due process and im sure they wouldnt be in there if they did not commit a crime.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitmore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jewish Cop Busted Mel Gibson (Aug '06) Mar '17 Bob Masters 392
Mr. T. C. (Mar '17) Mar '17 Tedcon 2
News Museum Talk: Lumber Flumes Part 2 (Mar '10) Feb '17 randy 3
Kold Nude Nights Back 'Til New Year (Dec '16) Dec '16 Knipple Cittee newso 1
Internet plz help :) (Dec '16) Dec '16 Jess 1
anybody have any final scores frpm i-5 brawl h... (Aug '16) Aug '16 rbcaver 2
News Memorial Day ceremonies have personal touch (May '15) Jun '15 Birds Landing Bob 3

Whitmore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Whitmore Mortgages