Click it, or get a ticket: Law-enforcement pushes seatbelt use

There are 109 comments on the LA Daily News story from May 24, 2010, titled Click it, or get a ticket: Law-enforcement pushes seatbelt use. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

CHP officer Leland Tang gathers a motorists information after pulling them over for failing to wear a seatbelt in West Hills, Calif., on Monday May 24, 2010.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Yea Right

United States

#1 May 24, 2010
OK great, now that you police have decided to start "enforceing" a law or two... Perhaps it would not be toooo much trouble to enforce the illegal alien law, they are just as dangerous, but not so much to themselves as to the other innocent American Citizen rightfully here in the US.
Richard

Downey, CA

#2 May 24, 2010
I think we need to make adjustments to the ticketing
laws. They should be able to give you points toward
making your car insurance more expensive, or pay a
fine, but not both. For those non-point infractions
the ticket should be no more than the cost related
to enforce the law. In other words, they should not
look at it as a revenue source.
DRW

Temecula, CA

#3 May 24, 2010
I'd rather the police enforce the cell phone law. If someone doesn't wear their seatbelt that's their lumps; if they sail into my car while distracted on their cell phone, those are my lumps.
Common Sense

Temecula, CA

#4 May 24, 2010
"It's not comfortable like this," complained Annie Rapaport, 17, of Encino, relieved not to pay a ticket. "Everybody drives with it under the arm; I don't even think twice about it.

MORON.
UR not so smart

Bangkok, Thailand

#5 May 24, 2010
It is all about $$$$,not safety.
American

Irvine, CA

#6 May 24, 2010
Got to get out there and ticket those hard working American taxpayers to squeeze more dough out of them to feed those breeding illegals.
Observer

Whittier, CA

#7 May 24, 2010
Call 'em the California Revenue Patrol.

Better yet, eliminate the whole CHP and let the counties worry about their traffic enforcement. Give the counties part of the former CHP's budget, keep only the commercial vehicle enforcement part of the CHP but under a different name. That'll save a couple hundred million I believe.
T ed

Stanton, CA

#9 May 24, 2010
"Our job is to protect you ... not just to protect you from the bad guy, but to protect you from yourself."

Does Tang really believe this?!? Come on everyone knows its all about bottom line. If its just to protect us "from ourselves" why the fine hike?
American

Irvine, CA

#10 May 24, 2010
It's about one thing:$$$$$$$$$ <-- your's not theirs.
PeteM

San Clemente, CA

#11 May 24, 2010
This is not all about safety. It's about REVENUE for the State's total collapse due to the politicians in Sacramento.

REVENUE, REVENUE, REVENUE!
JTA

Claremont, CA

#12 May 24, 2010
SInce when is it the "Governments" responsibility to protect me from me?? If I get in an accident without a seatbelt on ....SO WHAT????
Millions of kids are in SCHOOL buses everyday without one. Where is the OUTCRY against that????? When the "Government" can ACTUALLY do it's job ie: Protect our borders from ILLEGAL invansion, Keep Americans working ect,ect. OOHHH WAIT, DUH, I forgot, Illegals , even though they dont pay taxes, dont vote and are sure to go to the ER instead of a family doctor, they "actually" DONT cost anything according to Democratic Math....what havent heard of it??? Wait til November when you and everyother person votes Republican but "somehow" the Dems will win. WATCH!!
FedUp

Buena Park, CA

#13 May 24, 2010
I've noticed more traffic police stops on my commute since the state and city is strapped for cash.
sadden LA resident

United States

#14 May 24, 2010
This is so sad that our county is punishing it's residents for money. Ticket hunting... come-on this is horrible to do to ones citizen. They are coming after us in so many ways just for a buck. Fines for evrything... ya I think it's time to leave LA... my home town... thanks LA leaders.
David

Westminster, CA

#15 May 24, 2010
I am totally against law enforcement implementing a law that requires motorists to wear a seat belt. I believe it is one the most idiotic laws there is. It should be up to the driver if he or she wants to wear a seat belt and if they crash and get seriously injured it should be because it was their decision not to wear one. Not wearing one does not do any harm to any other driver besides them selves. I am not saying that seat belts don't save lives or that it isn't a good idea to wear one, I'm just saying that it should be the decision of the driver. The only thing that should be implemented is seat belts for children under 18 years of age. Above that age it should be up to the driver.
rlb1369

San Fernando, CA

#16 May 24, 2010
The heck with the seat belt, they should be checking for people talking on their cell phones in the fast lane going 55 mph. Or better yet, the woman the other day, drinking coffe in one hand and the cell phone in the other. So bad did I want to get in front of her and slam on my brakes and see what would happen. Hot coffee all over her !!
No CHP, LAPD,LASO, checking for seat belts, what a joke. I hope you enjoyed your coffee and conversation lady cause Lord knows the cops were looking for seatbelt violators.
pancho

Duarte, CA

#17 May 24, 2010
This a joke $140.00 for there first offense?(seatbelt) and a 20.00 fine If your on your cell phone first offense Hmmmmmm and every morning you can see dozens of motorist on there phone talking while driving because it is a law that is rarely enforced so they Mock it THERE'S NO MONEY IN IT!!!!! Oh but Officer Tang is worried about the safety of motorist at the same time you hear that talking on your cell phone while driving can be as dangerous as drunk driving talk about hypocritical law enforement agency's.....
garyw

Los Angeles, CA

#19 May 24, 2010
...and the shakedowns continue! More theft to support their bloated pensions and salaries.
Mike

Phelan, CA

#20 May 24, 2010
sadtruth wrote:
Does that include all the law breaking pigs on the force as well??? Or is that just for normal citizens?? Like the article two weeks ago about millions in unpaid fines by the police department and some gov. officials. The law should be for everyone including DIRTY FA G COPS.....
Anyone who calls a cop a pig is a
brain damaged moron, not a normal citizen. Get a life dipstick!!
A Reptile Dysfunction

Santa Ana, CA

#21 May 24, 2010
Click it or dick it.
Joe

Downey, CA

#22 May 25, 2010
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>Anyone who calls a cop a pig is a
brain damaged moron, not a normal citizen. Get a life dipstick!!
lol yea or they've been punished by the law enforcement for their stupid mistake. Let me see who they gonna call when their ass is in trouble. Dumb f****

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitmore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jewish Cop Busted Mel Gibson (Aug '06) Apr '15 Texas_Ave 391
News Letter to Editor: Campaign promises (May '10) Feb '15 troykilledmyson 47
News Man 'Cooked' Ex-Girlfriend's Dog And Fed It To Her (Sep '14) Oct '14 Grace Nerissa 17
News CNN show to feature Shane Miller case (Jul '14) Jul '14 Lois Arata 1
Doesn't anyone care? (Aug '10) Jun '14 TexasIsForFagg0tz 3
Are police looking for someone? (Jun '14) Jun '14 momof3 1
News Sheriff's Industry Station increases efforts in... (Aug '10) May '12 scoupe 4
More from around the web

Whitmore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]