Police denounce area Web site that ra...

Police denounce area Web site that rates officers' performance

There are 54 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Mar 26, 2008, titled Police denounce area Web site that rates officers' performance. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Armed with a laptop and the names of tens of thousands of police officers across the country, a Southland entrepreneur is raising the ire of law enforcement with an online, five-star rating system similar to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
harrassment is horrible

Redondo Beach, CA

#47 Mar 27, 2008
Classic Comment wrote:
<quoted text>
It's amazing how many times harrassment and enforcement are often mistaken for eachother. Getting a ticket isn't harrassment, it's enforcement of the laws of our land. Grow up already!
REAREAD MY COMMENT.... I was not talking about getting a ticket. Do you know what CYBERHARRASMENT IS? I am totally pro ticketing and enforcing laws. I was talking about not prosecuting people for misusing sites like the one mentioned in the story to harrass and retaliate.
Ron

Redondo Beach, CA

#48 Mar 27, 2008
I tried the site and it does not work.
Wolfman

Redondo Beach, CA

#49 Mar 27, 2008
It takes a special person to be in envolved in Law Enforcement and a Police Officer that is why we should have annual certified testing for Policemen that have life and death decisions to make over others. I am a welder for an aerospace company and I have to tested and certified every 2 years. We must all have accoutabily in the system in which we live including Law Enforcement. If you have nothing to hide it should not make a differance. Thank you
for RateMyCop Website.
love it

United States

#50 Mar 27, 2008
I was not replying to your comment I was making my own statement.
tiniet

Bryan, OH

#51 Mar 27, 2008
it shouldnt be aproblem,are you hiding some thing,or is it job sercurty,a good cop should be rewarrded, go figure
Crazy 8

United States

#52 Mar 27, 2008
I just do not understand how the police and Sheriff's department don't have a problem with you helping them solve a crime or help out to tell if you see something going on wrong in your community, but when the police or sheriff's are part of the crime or the person wants to let others know about certain officers then they do not like it. How is this website jeopardizing or endangering officers when they go out and show their faces everyday? it is not like the website is giving their home address or home phone number or children's names. I don't get it but I say keep it up nowadays things like this are needed. You see what has been going on within the "Sheriff's dept." in and out of the jailhouse.
Steve C

Manhattan Beach, CA

#54 Mar 27, 2008
Dano wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I called 911 last week for a car accident I witnessed. I was put on hold for 14 minutes by the CHP. That's when I hung up. I live by a burger joint called 3 Brothers. I see LAPD, TPD, and Lomita Sheriff's there every day. But I have never seen a car roll down my street or stop the idiots that do 65 mph down Western at all times of the day. They have other priorities. Such as cleaning up homicide scenes about 20 blocks north because they are never around there to prevent problems in the 1st place.
Dano, you need to realize that when you dial 911 from a cell phone the call usually goes directly to the CHP. And when everyone and their mother is calling 911 to report a "reckless driver" on the freeway the lines can get pretty tied up, understandably. The reason is because the cell sites have no idea what city or juristiction you're in so they route it to the CHP who will transfer you to the appropriate agency. This often wastes a lot of time especially in dynamic situations such as a crime unfolding in front of you. With new technology coming online some cell sites route you to the nearest local agency but often times will route you to the wrong one. The best thing to do is store the direct business numbers to the local police stations/departments in the areas you live, work and maybe even commute in and know which one to call. And have you thought about calling your local station to complain about the traffic on your street? Maybe you can get some of those lazy cops off their butts to do some traffic enforcement. Not like they deserve a lunch break or anything.
Steve C

Manhattan Beach, CA

#55 Mar 27, 2008
Kate Stonehedge wrote:
Cops do not "protect and serve" that's a great PR slogan, but utterly FALSE. According to the U.S. Supreme Court, police are not responsible for protecting ANYONE.(Check it out if you don't believe me, it's true.)
And "serve"? Right...
Just curious but what case are you referring to?
Steve C

Manhattan Beach, CA

#56 Mar 27, 2008
Trivial Pursuit wrote:
... They build big platforms to stand upon, with their bright badges and clean uniforms, and more sickening, elaborate funerals.... lifetime.
That's a pretty rude thing to say about anyone's funeral much less about someone who sacrificed their life in the line of duty. I hope the families of slain cops don't read your comments. I agree there are bad cops, rude cops, dirty cops, etc. But must you dishonor the lives of the good ones with such a mean thing to say.
harrassment is horrible

Redondo Beach, CA

#57 Mar 28, 2008
love it wrote:
I was not replying to your comment I was making my own statement.
OK No Problem, I thought you were replying to my comment since you quoted it before your statement.
Seal Beach

Brea, CA

#58 Mar 29, 2008
Mother wrote:
This is a FANTASTIC service! If you don't believe me, just go to the Torrance police department or any other and ASK for an officer complaint form. You'll be lucky if you even see one! Finally, a way to make sure that they behave some what!
This kind of remark could not show up if agencies were loyal to the law. In Califorina, citizen complaints have to be take, have to be investigated and the results have to be made known to the person who complained. TPD is not alone in the discouragement and avoidance of this law. It's rampant. That's why RateMyCop.com is the best possible way to insure officers who are abusive don't get to hide behind anonimity. Honest cops have nothing to fear.
Jay Drai

San Diego, CA

#59 Mar 30, 2008
I think there are many honest law enforcement officers who are trying to do a good job under difficult conditions.
But there are those law enforcement personnel who abuse their position and do not qualify to be in there position.
They are put in that position to serve and protect. Honesty and integrity is a must.
Don Schwarz

Lancaster, NH

#60 Mar 31, 2008
In Stoughton, Mass. the police arrested me as I tried to enter a complaint on the police log as to how the police would not accept my gun licnese applications, as mandated by law - MGL c.140, s, 130(e).

The cops refused to testify in court and I was left with a debt of over $26,000 in legal fees and an eternal arrets record, though all charges were dropped due to the police pleading the FIFTH and not taking the witness stand so I could face my accusers. This was in 2000

The Stoughton police kidnaped a man out of his home on Peral street in March 2000, with no authority to do so at all.

A Stoughton police officer is currently in jail and the chief is under indictment for hiding crimes committed by officers.

Citizens are held to the highest of standards here while our cops have no standards at all.

The "snooze" media is so fearful of the Stoughton police, they refuse to investigate.

Courtroom proceedings in Massachusetts, are not normally broadcast nor properly recorded. If you can afford to buy a $2000 transcript, you might be able to read what happened in our courts.

One Boston paper called Stoughton a "Banana Republic".

Funny how in South v Maryland 59 US 396, the court tell us the police are not mandated to protect us. So why are they given such authority to do what is not constitutionally required?
Don Schwarz

Lancaster, NH

#61 Mar 31, 2008
Imagine the police in your town telling the news media that they can't live on a base salry of $56,000 a year and NEED
$45,000 more in detail pay!

Can you say, "I'll falsely arrest people to get 4 hours overtime in court just for showing up, win or lose!"

Does anyone know what the ARREST VS CONVICTION RATE is of the average police department?

Is 100% of all arrested, convicted?

90%, 80% 50% 40% 30%?????

How many people arrested, are never convicted?

The world wants to know..........

What is the per capita crime rate of police?

==========
Quincy Patriot Ledger, Oct. 29, 30 2004

Stoughton, Mass. puts 7 cops on leave

By Tim Grace and Maureen Boyle, Enterprise staff writers

infra..........

On the flip side of the fiscal coin, the officers on leave said it will be difficult for them to make it on their base pay alone.

"My base pay is about $56,000," McGowan said. "But I make another $45,000" in special details and overtime pay. None of us can live on our base salaries."

Sentiment on the town square was mixed Friday.

Owens, McGowal, Azul and Holmes were standing in the town square Friday afternoon, waving pro-recall signs as a steady stream of traffic honked and hollered its way past.

Passersby were reluctant to give their full names to a reporter but nearly all had some comment on the officers' protest.

A longtime town resident dropping off letters at the post office said she thinks vindictiveness and childishness" led to Cachopa's removal. Citing a rash of vandalism targeted against recall supporters over the summer, she declined to give her name.

Ava, a Stoughton resident for 50 years, said she's "disgusted" with both sides of the recall debate.

"This is not the way (politics) should be handled," she said.

Alan, another Stoughton resident, said pulling the seven officers off their beats "makes me think maybe they did the right thing getting rid of (Cachopa)."

And Mary A. said she's typically against recalls but the officers' plight might push her the other way. "Ill decide in the booth," she said.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitmore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jewish Cop Busted Mel Gibson (Aug '06) Mar '17 Bob Masters 392
Mr. T. C. Mar '17 Tedcon 2
News Museum Talk: Lumber Flumes Part 2 (Mar '10) Feb '17 randy 3
Kold Nude Nights Back 'Til New Year Dec '16 Knipple Cittee newso 1
Internet plz help :) Dec '16 Jess 1
anybody have any final scores frpm i-5 brawl h... (Aug '16) Aug '16 rbcaver 2
Is Ami Montogomery dead? (Jul '16) Jul '16 SabrinaG 1

Whitmore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance