Police denounce area Web site that rates officers' performance

Full story: Daily Breeze 54
Armed with a laptop and the names of tens of thousands of police officers across the country, a Southland entrepreneur is raising the ire of law enforcement with an online, five-star rating system similar to ... Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
bjjw

Windsor, CA

#2 Mar 26, 2008
I can't get the site to work.
Dano

El Segundo, CA

#3 Mar 26, 2008
Boo Hoo poor cops. If they treat people right no problems. I am hard core when it comes to cracking down on criminal and gangs. I say lock em up or snuff em out. But a lot of cops are hypocritical or just plain ole nasty people. I've met my share of both good ones and not so good ones. My pop was a TPD officer for 31 years so I know a bit about them. Accountability is a good thing, especially for people that have a .45 strapped to their belt with the authority to take your life if needed. Lot better things to worry about than this web site.
Trivial Pursuit

Santa Ana, CA

#5 Mar 26, 2008
Police work should never be trivialized? Maybe not in your eyes, but in mine, yes. The only people that know the police do not think of them as they do, HEROES. They build big platforms to stand upon, with their bright badges and clean uniforms, and more sickening, elaborate funerals. They take more than three-quarters of your city budget without batting an eye, and then pound the community for MORE donations in the name of failing police created projects like DARE. More officers, more money, but does it really do the city any justice when you can't fill a pothole? I have already relented to the biggest gang in town, the cops. They can get whatever they want, at any expense, because how can you say no when you have a gun to your head. I try to think how trivial their job is compared to the real HEROES of this country, the military. Maybe one day the police will get their priorities in order, but not in my or your children's children children .......... lifetime.
Snipers beware

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Mar 26, 2008
I was going to comment on this article but I can't at the moment because "MY BLACKHAWK IS TAKING SNIPER FIRE". OOPs I didn't mean to say what I said, I misspoke.
Chris

Menifee, CA

#7 Mar 26, 2008
You like to complain about police yet I am sure each and every one of you would call the police in a second if you needed them, and yes they would come....although I am sure all of you can do the job better right....why dont you put your money where your mouths are and go work as a cop! But I am sure you wont, cause its so much easier to comment from the safety of your laptop.
Jude

Irving, TX

#8 Mar 26, 2008
Ha, a web site to leave comments on how police officers rate. I think it's a great idea - and no I don't believe they are be being put in danger, nor their families - unlike the Megan's web site which is nothing more than a road map to cause death or great harm (which one day will bring on the biggest law suit in America). Not to mention 95% that have to register on Megan's website are NOT child predators and the ones that are know the victim as in Daddy, Uncle Mike, etc. One day there will be a web site for all of ud/
Thank God for Our Country

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#9 Mar 26, 2008
Hey, most police are awesome people who risk their lives to protect and serve. The media likes to focus on the few outliers, but every profession has their share of morons, including Doctors and Lawyers.

I am thankful every day that we live in this beautiful country and thank the police for being a vital part of it.
Great Grandma

AOL

#10 Mar 26, 2008
I like the idea BUT a peron must remember some people will say untrue things just because they are upset over receiving a ticket.
Whats your real agenda

Palm Springs, CA

#11 Mar 26, 2008
This is ridiculous and it should not be taken seriously. Anyone can enter a comment on a cop and if it's bad, then what happens? The cop gets a bad reputation or a defense attorney can use it to belittle the cop in court. According to some people a good cop goes around talking to people, solving other peoples problems, smiling and waving as he gives directions to lost tourists. A bad cop gives tickets, puts bad guys in jail, has to tase some jerk who wants to fight, yells at someone who probably deserves it and does not kiss anyones butt, but in reality is acting professional, upholding the law and being fair to everyone he encounters. If this is the standard, then most people that enter a comment in this web site fall under most of these standards, then most cops are bad cops. I agree there are some out there that should not be in uniform and hopefully their supervisors will take care of that. Most of us have "bad cop" stories, but usually dealing with traffic. The very vast majority of cops do their jobs day to day being "bad cops" and dealing with the trash and problems of their respective cities. Remember who comes lights and siren when you crash and our kid is hurt, or when a prowler is in your backyard, or when your wife(or husband) just slapped you because you got caught with the maid, or when someone used your credit card numbers to make an internet purchase or just simply because you made an error and didn't read a sign and made an illegal turn. That cop is giving you a ticket or a warning because at the same intersection over the past ten years, he has seen 20 other people not obey the sign and crash. You wont forget to check the sign again and he might have saved your life, but he was a "bad guy and a bad cop."
Whats your real agenda

Palm Springs, CA

#12 Mar 26, 2008
Snipers beware wrote:
I was going to comment on this article but I can't at the moment because "MY BLACKHAWK IS TAKING SNIPER FIRE". OOPs I didn't mean to say what I said, I misspoke.
Dont forget to duck Hillary.
slug

Hawaiian Gardens, CA

#13 Mar 26, 2008
The idea behind the site may have merit, but it is misdirected. Better that the site url should read ratemydirtbag.com . Anyone who knows a gangbanging punk can rate them and include their name, address, etc. and the rest of the world will know what is really going on. That would have real value!
Jason K

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Mar 26, 2008
X2 Chris! Walk in a police officer's shoes for a week, or even a day. Do a ride along with your city's PD. Your perspective will absolutely change. Everybody likes to complain and name call but most of you would crack under the pressures. The amount of "hat's" they have to wear is overwhelming. Some of you need to get out of your "I'm a victim" culture. And lets be real, they don't make a whole lot of money for what they're risking. Most will cap out under 100k before their career ends. In Southern Cal that's not much.
I'm not against the website, transparency/accountability is a good thing, but we act like there will be some sort of vindication or true accountability on those forums. Can you ask for anything more subjective than "my personal experience" while at the other end of law enforcement. Have any of you been to the site? My guess is that the rating will look like a youtube comments section. If you're on the other end of law enforcement chances are you weren't doing something right. And if the officer's actions were truly questionable there are formal channels to file a complaint.
All that website will do is attract a bunch of malcontents set on ruining the reputations of officers. Actually, since some of you are so excited about the website and its accountability, why not make the commenters/users verify their identities. Transparency both ways? We'll see how honest (and legal) these comments will be...just a thought.
jon

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Mar 26, 2008
Chris wrote:
You like to complain about police yet I am sure each and every one of you would call the police in a second if you needed them, and yes they would come....although I am sure all of you can do the job better right....why dont you put your money where your mouths are and go work as a cop! But I am sure you wont, cause its so much easier to comment from the safety of your laptop.
I don't see your point. I hate traffic, but I still use the roads. one of our rights, and obligations, of being an american is to point out problems that should be fixed, or at least recognized.
jon

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Mar 26, 2008
Whats your real agenda wrote:
This is ridiculous and it should not be taken seriously. Anyone can enter a comment on a cop and if it's bad, then what happens? The cop gets a bad reputation or a defense attorney can use it to belittle the cop in court. According to some people a good cop goes around talking to people, solving other peoples problems, smiling and waving as he gives directions to lost tourists. A bad cop gives tickets, puts bad guys in jail, has to tase some jerk who wants to fight, yells at someone who probably deserves it and does not kiss anyones butt, but in reality is acting professional, upholding the law and being fair to everyone he encounters. If this is the standard, then most people that enter a comment in this web site fall under most of these standards, then most cops are bad cops. I agree there are some out there that should not be in uniform and hopefully their supervisors will take care of that. Most of us have "bad cop" stories, but usually dealing with traffic. The very vast majority of cops do their jobs day to day being "bad cops" and dealing with the trash and problems of their respective cities. Remember who comes lights and siren when you crash and our kid is hurt, or when a prowler is in your backyard, or when your wife(or husband) just slapped you because you got caught with the maid, or when someone used your credit card numbers to make an internet purchase or just simply because you made an error and didn't read a sign and made an illegal turn. That cop is giving you a ticket or a warning because at the same intersection over the past ten years, he has seen 20 other people not obey the sign and crash. You wont forget to check the sign again and he might have saved your life, but he was a "bad guy and a bad cop."
we all know that there are good and bad cops, the ones that are really bad should be exposed. the ones that are being called bad cops because they gave someone a ticket are probably not bad cops, and I think that anyone reading the comments on the site will recognize that.
Jason K

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Mar 26, 2008
jon wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see your point. I hate traffic, but I still use the roads. one of our rights, and obligations, of being an american is to point out problems that should be fixed, or at least recognized.
This website will point problems and/or recognize them? Go to you local police station and ask for a public complaints record of an officer if you want that. Too much anonymitity and subjectivity to solve any real problems on that website. It will become a website to vent.
Dano

El Segundo, CA

#18 Mar 26, 2008
Chris wrote:
You like to complain about police yet I am sure each and every one of you would call the police in a second if you needed them, and yes they would come....although I am sure all of you can do the job better right....why dont you put your money where your mouths are and go work as a cop! But I am sure you wont, cause its so much easier to comment from the safety of your laptop.
Yeah, I called 911 last week for a car accident I witnessed. I was put on hold for 14 minutes by the CHP. That's when I hung up. I live by a burger joint called 3 Brothers. I see LAPD, TPD, and Lomita Sheriff's there every day. But I have never seen a car roll down my street or stop the idiots that do 65 mph down Western at all times of the day. They have other priorities. Such as cleaning up homicide scenes about 20 blocks north because they are never around there to prevent problems in the 1st place.
Wear a condom fellas

Ontario, CA

#19 Mar 26, 2008
I hear ya...I screwed up and bought a house on 177th and hawthore..the cars do 65 mph in a 35 mph zone...not a cop in sight. Go to the 7-11 and guess what?? they they are sitting car to car looking board?
Walker

United States

#20 Mar 26, 2008
If your proud of what your doing you wouldn't mind people talking about it, would you ?
wombat

Goleta, CA

#21 Mar 26, 2008
Rachel, nice writing. This is good stuff.

We need more public oversight, not less. This site is definitely in the publics best interests.
Fred

United States

#22 Mar 26, 2008
At first, I thought this system would probably be inherently unfair to the cops, since, face it, most people encounter police under difficult circumstances (no one likes getting a ticket, or worse, being arrested). And human nature seems to make people more likely to complain than to praise.

But having just taken a very brief look at the site, I now worry about the opposite problem.

I looked at the first five pages of ratings for the LAPD, and there wasn't a single complaint - just compliments. The absence of complaints strikes me as suspicious.

Are there any safeguards in effect on the website to prevent cops (and their friends and family) from "stuffing the ballot box" by submitting complimentary ratings for themselves or their fellow police?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitmore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Letter to Editor: Campaign promises (May '10) Feb 21 troykilledmyson 47
Man 'Cooked' Ex-Girlfriend's Dog And Fed It To Her Oct '14 Grace Nerissa 17
CNN show to feature Shane Miller case (Jul '14) Jul '14 Lois Arata 1
Doesn't anyone care? (Aug '10) Jun '14 TexasIsForFagg0tz 3
Are police looking for someone? (Jun '14) Jun '14 momof3 1
Sheriff's Industry Station increases efforts in... (Aug '10) May '12 scoupe 4
Missing sect's leader is hospitalized (Sep '10) Feb '12 art 3
Whitmore Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Whitmore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:28 am PST