Concerns Raised Over Touch-Screen Vot...

Concerns Raised Over Touch-Screen Voting Machines

There are 18 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Jan 17, 2008, titled Concerns Raised Over Touch-Screen Voting Machines. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

With just days to go before the South Carolina Republican Primary, doubt lingers over the use of touch-screen voting machines.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

Stop The Madness

United States

#1 Jan 17, 2008
The only people complaining about voting machines are democrats. They cried about "vote fraud" when we used paper ballots, too.
DUMMIES

United States

#2 Jan 17, 2008
these machines are run off a small operating system and a memory card that store my vote, your vote, her vote, his vote. It would take one person that's half way knowledgeable about how computers and programs work to corrupt all of this information.

Since: Apr 07

Columbia, SC

#3 Jan 17, 2008
Why did they use a picture of a cell phone in the article? I didn't see anything about phoning your vote in.
wow

Columbia, SC

#4 Jan 17, 2008
JL Sigman wrote:
Why did they use a picture of a cell phone in the article? I didn't see anything about phoning your vote in.
That's the same thing I was thinking. That's WLTX for you.

“Soft Touch Hard Cover”

Since: Dec 07

Jersey

#5 Jan 17, 2008
JL Sigman wrote:
wheel

I know! They are trying to say that a cell phone can corrupt the voting machine.

Why did they buy this machine if it's already been banned in other states?
Amy

Columbia, SC

#7 Jan 17, 2008
JerseyPrincess wrote:
<quoted text>wheel
I know! They are trying to say that a cell phone can corrupt the voting machine.
Why did they buy this machine if it's already been banned in other states?
I think that some phones/types of phones/handheld devices like Treos and Blackberries can be used to corrupt the machines.

I'm not sure why we bought this machine. Apparently there are others out there that are more secure.

All I'm saying is that we should get a printed confirmation of our votes. One of the legislators who wants law to require printouts pointed out that we get one when we take money out of the ATM, we should get one when we vote, and I agree 100%. My vote, your vote, his vote, her vote, each of our individual votes are one of the most valuable things we have in this country. I take mine very seriously and suspect all of us who vote religiously do.
Reading Comprehension 101

United States

#8 Jan 17, 2008
"The machines have been banned in Ohio and Colorado. Research has determined that devices such as magnets and handheld electronics can corrupt the machines."

I believe a cell phone falls into the category of handheld electronics. Hence, the photo.
unfortunately

Montgomery, AL

#9 Jan 17, 2008
DUMMIES wrote:
these machines are run off a small operating system and a memory card that store my vote, your vote, her vote, his vote. It would take one person that's half way knowledgeable about how computers and programs work to corrupt all of this information.
There are lots of people that are knowledgeable enought to corrupt ALL of the information; with the amount of technology-based items we use on a day to day basis, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see that someone with minute general educational backgroung and plenty of time to play around with a computer has corrupted the voting machines just to be a nuisance. Quite unfortunate that people have that much time on their hands....
Outraged

Columbia, SC

#10 Jan 17, 2008
Why more South Carolinians are not concerned about this issue is a bit sad and scary to me. Both Republicans and Democrats have a lot riding our our primaries (afterall, neither party has a clear front-runner at this point). If techincal errors, be them software issues or human tampering, skew results, it really could make a difference. Also, I tend to agree with whomever above said each of our votes are important and should be counted as such.
Peace

United States

#11 Jan 17, 2008
Hard to believe that they will continue to use them if they have been proven to be vunerable. But then again, this is South Carolina home of the Good Ole Boys. I want my vote to count.
oops

Lexington, SC

#12 Jan 17, 2008
DUMMIES wrote:
Not true, Ooops I did not see the name of the person writing the previous guote.....
1134TITSORGTFO

Houston, TX

#13 Jan 17, 2008
Alex Jones has been saying this for years..old news http://prisonplanet.com/

Since: Apr 07

Columbia, SC

#14 Jan 17, 2008
From the article...

"Chris Whitmire with the South Carolina Election Commission calls the findings obsurd."

What's obsurd? Never seen that word before...
Tyler

Columbia, SC

#15 Jan 17, 2008
EVERYONE needs to watch the HBO documentary: "Hacking Democracy"

http://video.google.com/videoplay...

Just with my little experience in computer programming, I can see how easy it is to do this.

“American/ For now anyway”

Since: Oct 07

Southeast of Barrow Alaska

#16 Jan 18, 2008
all i have to say is.... if its a Machine something could go wrong.
ATOBlueandGold

Greenwood, SC

#17 Jan 18, 2008
haha i know robert. i dont think he is even a registered voter lol.
Clerk

Salt Lake City, UT

#18 Jan 18, 2008
This is just another attempt to disqualify a secure system. To say that paper ballots cannot be tampered with is a misnomer and county paper is not always true. If hand counting, paper is the most unreliable method of counting a large election.
EJF Member

Columbia, SC

#19 Jan 22, 2008
Clerk wrote:
This is just another attempt to disqualify a secure system. To say that paper ballots cannot be tampered with is a misnomer and county paper is not always true. If hand counting, paper is the most unreliable method of counting a large election.
No one said go back to paper. We just need a backup of the digital counting to validate the results if challenged. I am a programmer and I can tell you the output can be manipulated very easily by someone that is unscrupulous. I wouldn't trust any person that works for the Government in South Carolina.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitmire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Your Opinion of Newberry...Should I Move There? (Sep '08) Jun 8 Mario Mora 5
News Nikki Haley Supports Spartanburg "Resettlement"... (Apr '15) Jun 4 Zionista Pork 47
Elizabeth Romano May 24 kitty29 1
News Prominent Spartanburg, SC Plastic Surgeon: Dr. ... (Nov '09) May 24 One and only 4
Chelsea Nicole Sanford May 23 Wondering 1
Pastor No Better Than a Thief (Mar '16) May '17 Theourgoi 3
Where to buy spice (Nov '16) Apr '17 lol 2

Whitmire Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Whitmire Mortgages