5 Years Later, Gay Marriage Accepted ...

5 Years Later, Gay Marriage Accepted In Mass.

There are 394 comments on the CBS News story from May 9, 2009, titled 5 Years Later, Gay Marriage Accepted In Mass.. In it, CBS News reports that:

Twenty years after he met the love of his life, nearly five years after their wedding helped make history, it took a nasty bout of pneumonia for Gary Chalmers to fully appreciate the blessings of marriage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

First Prev
of 20
Next Last

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#427 May 21, 2009
Sergio23 wrote:
<quoted text>
James,
While on the level of a simple majority you are correct, it is also true that young people, including young families, are, in the majority, supportive of marriage equality.
Courts may indeed get there ahead of popular opinion as has so often been the case in our nation's history, but in this case, young voters (under age 30) and kids seem to be getting there as well. What do you make of this?
I was very disturbed by gays in general, and particularly by gay rights, for many years. But the gay people I've come to know who have formed families I've found to to be good parents, excellent neighbors, and strong supporters of their communities. It seems to me that by extending recognition and marriage equality to them, we all benefit, and nobody is harmed. This is my opinion and experience, and I'd be interested to read yours.
I will engage in a dialog with you or anyone so long as we can remain civil despite our differences in opinion.
Thanks.
Kudos! Quite right.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#428 May 21, 2009
James wrote:
<quoted text>a MAJORITY OF FAMILIES AGREE WITH OUR NARROW MINDED VIEW OF THE FAMILY. iT IS THE elitist and the courts that have your view. The ones who do not believe in Gods view of how a family should be are better at getting their views pushed through through many different avenues. I beleive our narrow views will be back. Obamanation is so over reaching he is waking people up.
I'm just wondering what options you think gay people have?

Do you think that we can stop being the way we were born, and somehow manufacture attractions to the opposite sex?

It can't happen.

Fortunately, although we are gay, we are no less able and likely to fall in love. And we can be blessed with the same desire you have, to form families as the expression of that love.

Other than the gender we can be attracted to, we are NO differnt in that regard.

So, why then would we accept any less recognition for our beloved families than you demand? Do you think we love them less, to want them less protected?

Truth is, it should not matter to you if our families are as secure as yours is. If you have a shread of humanity in your soul, you would be glad this was so, instead of gloating that some Americans struggle where you do not, and some kids can never have married parents.

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#429 May 21, 2009
I thank God I was born gay !

:)
KANG

San Diego, CA

#430 May 22, 2009
Daniel P from Long Island wrote:
I thank God I was born gay !
:)
Thank god I wasn't (:

Long Island, NY

#431 May 22, 2009
KANG wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank god I wasn't (:
I thought you and Kodos were butty-buddy, No ?
James

Houston, TX

#432 May 22, 2009
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just wondering what options you think gay people have?
Do you think that we can stop being the way we were born, and somehow manufacture attractions to the opposite sex?
It can't happen.
Fortunately, although we are gay, we are no less able and likely to fall in love. And we can be blessed with the same desire you have, to form families as the expression of that love.
Other than the gender we can be attracted to, we are NO differnt in that regard.
So, why then would we accept any less recognition for our beloved families than you demand? Do you think we love them less, to want them less protected?
Truth is, it should not matter to you if our families are as secure as yours is. If you have a shread of humanity in your soul, you would be glad this was so, instead of gloating that some Americans struggle where you do not, and some kids can never have married parents.
I believe in a creator. Someone other than humans that has made this earth. God did one hell of a job making this earth. You have the seas with all its fish and the beaches are spectacular. All the sea life is amazing. You have the canyons, the mountains, the rivers, the trees, many different kinds of people. Just a wonderful place to be. He said, one much more intelligent than me that homosexuality is wrong and unnatural. Who am I to argue with someone with such might and power. Christians are loving people but when our father says something we listen. Yes God loves gay people but if they stay there they will go to hell for all eternity. So repent and turn to GOD and ask him to help you love and lust the opposite sex.

Long Island, NY

#433 May 22, 2009
James wrote:
<quoted text>I believe in a creator. Someone other than humans that has made this earth. God did one hell of a job making this earth. You have the seas with all its fish and the beaches are spectacular. All the sea life is amazing. You have the canyons, the mountains, the rivers, the trees, many different kinds of people. Just a wonderful place to be. He said, one much more intelligent than me that homosexuality is wrong and unnatural. Who am I to argue with someone with such might and power. Christians are loving people but when our father says something we listen. Yes God loves gay people but if they stay there they will go to hell for all eternity. So repent and turn to GOD and ask him to help you love and lust the opposite sex.
I thought "lust" was one of the "Seven Deadly Sins ?! What kind of whacko are you ?!

“The Sky Is Falling!”

Since: Apr 07

Atlanta, GA

#434 May 22, 2009
James wrote:
<quoted text>I believe in a creator. Someone other than humans that has made this earth. God did one hell of a job making this earth. You have the seas with all its fish and the beaches are spectacular. All the sea life is amazing. You have the canyons, the mountains, the rivers, the trees, many different kinds of people. Just a wonderful place to be. He said, one much more intelligent than me that homosexuality is wrong and unnatural. Who am I to argue with someone with such might and power. Christians are loving people but when our father says something we listen. Yes God loves gay people but if they stay there they will go to hell for all eternity. So repent and turn to GOD and ask him to help you love and lust the opposite sex.
Strangely, you have confused your "God" with "Satan". No wonder you are so confused. In fact, in your mondo-bizarro world they are one-and-the-same. They have you hanging upside down by your hemorrhoids, which are apparently directly connected to your brain. The distance between your anus and your mind is very small...about the size of your "manhood". No wonder you're so cranky.

Good luck with that.

“Post-religious”

Location hidden

#436 May 22, 2009
James wrote:
<quoted text>... Christians are loving people but when our father says something we listen....
Just grow up already. What are you, seven?
James

Houston, TX

#438 May 23, 2009
+HATE,HATE,HATE, all you guys spew is hate. Quit hating and start loving. You should not go through life angry and bitter. God will forgive you if you turn to him and repent.

“The Sky Is Falling!”

Atlanta, GA

#439 May 23, 2009
James wrote:
+HATE,HATE,HATE, all you guys spew is hate. Quit hating and start loving. You should not go through life angry and bitter. God will forgive you if you turn to him and repent.
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Your "God" is just as much about hate as he/she/it is about love! Where has your "God" been while mankind has crashed about destroying himself?!
James

United States

#440 May 23, 2009
eyeful wrote:
<quoted text>
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......
Your "God" is just as much about hate as he/she/it is about love! Where has your "God" been while mankind has crashed about destroying himself?!
There are 6 billion people on the planet that is a lot of people besides there is a devil who is out to kill steal and destroy. He is pretty good at what he does.

Since: Dec 08

Barboursville

#442 May 24, 2009
You are assuming there is a god and a devil. Not everyone agrees with you, including some very smart people. I don't believe and maybe I am wrong, but it is possible that you are wrong, as well. That is why there is seperation of religion and state, and why they keep religion out of schools.

People kill, steal and destroy. Not because satan spoke to them and told them to do so, just as god has not spoken to those who believe and said to them to persecute anyone who does not believe or agree wholeheartedly with your views. You may 'feel' his words, but have you ever heard him speak the words aloud, other than through translation of speakers of the bible.. and each one transcibes it differently. It's like the kids game where one whispers to the next and so on and at the end the sentence has changed dramatically. I'd say that someone back in the day, decided to write a 'book' and for years and years now it has been translated to suit the opinions of whoever reads it..

Besides, this topic is not about belief or not. The topic is about gay marriage. If as you say,'he is pretty good at what he does' then he has messed up royally by causing the problem that this topic is truely about. It has nothing to do with whether their is a god or satan. As to the topic.. all people deserve the same legal rights when it comes to any topic.'Your' God, who you say is good at what he does, if he existsand he created all people, he surely intended them to all be treated equally. Gay people harm no one, and believers should try to harm no one. This topic is about equal rights for all law abiding citizens.

There are two types of people in this world. Good people and bad people from all walks of life.

Good people are rewarded with a feeling of doing right and loving their family, neighbors, friends, stangers, etc..

Bad people pay the consequences by the law. Not god. If there were a god with that kind of power.. would he not let accidents, disease, etc, eliminated them. But majority of the time it is good people who are taken out.

“The Sky Is Falling!”

Atlanta, GA

#444 May 24, 2009
James wrote:
<quoted text>There are 6 billion people on the planet that is a lot of people besides there is a devil who is out to kill steal and destroy. He is pretty good at what he does.
Cheney? Pope Benedict? Damien Omen V?!

Who the hell is this "devil" who so consumes your mind?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Uxbridge Music Forum (Feb '13) Feb '17 Musikologist 14
I need help in identifying old tintype pictures Jan '17 Dan Marchand 1
Sutton Paving (Aug '08) Dec '16 Joe Richard 25
News Mountain lion in Petersham? Owner of injured ho... Nov '16 big Cats where it... 1
News Grafton assistant selected as Webster town admi... Nov '16 grommit 1
Unibank CEO (Oct '16) Oct '16 Lone Ranger 1
News Northbridge rolling out lower-cost electricity ... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Mister Magoo 1

Whitinsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Whitinsville Mortgages