15-year-old killed in fall from downt...

15-year-old killed in fall from downtown Hyatt

There are 134 comments on the Dallas Morning News story from Jan 15, 2012, titled 15-year-old killed in fall from downtown Hyatt. In it, Dallas Morning News reports that:

The boy, from Whitewright, landed on the second-floor atrium of the Hyatt Regency Hotel about 9:15 p.m. and died on impact, according to police.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dallas Morning News.

anonymous

United States

#85 Jan 18, 2012
heavy heart wrote:
I agree with you... The only point I was trying to make is that there should of been more adult supervision. Maybe if there was someone accountable for this boy he would of had someone to talk to...
The point of there being "no supervision" at the time was because we were in a session. The session had literally JUST ended. We're between the ages of 14-18, we're expected to be able to walk around without our hand being held. If I wouldn't have stayed back and help stack chairs and clean up I wouldve witnessed this. It's tragic to even just being feet away of someone died but yet out of sight, let alone witnessing it... My prayers go out to the family and the BETA members of Whitewright, along with all other friends and class mates.
Praying

United States

#86 Jan 18, 2012
I myself can't imagine as a parent how hard this must be for the kelley family. I agree that the details of what happened are not necessary bc no matter what happened the fact is that a young child is no longer with us. The best thing we can do us pray for him and his family and just let things be. There is always the what if s but out of respect we shouldn't be worrying about posting all that stuff. My prayers are with him and his family and every single person who is affected by this. May god bless all
Broken Hearted

Texarkana, TX

#87 Jan 18, 2012
I believe the comment about it possibly being more tragic if he'd missed the catwalk was in reference to the fact that there were dozens of people below the atrium. As trivial as it may sound, I am glad no one was injured in this situation. I don't think that poster meant to downplay the severity of this horrible loss. They simply meant they were glad there weren't any other casualties. My thoughts and prayer are with JK's family. There can never be enough love for them.
Anonymous New York NY

Yonkers, NY

#88 Jan 18, 2012
We were at a different event at the hotel and would have to agree that there was very little supervision, if any, by the club. In fact, after the fall, we saw one of the supervisors (a woman) hand another (a man) a bottle of beer and said here this will take the edge off (with a nervous giggle)... he took a few swigs, looked at it and then threw it out. Many from our group witnessed disturbing things throughout the events and are traumatized by it all as well. Too many questions, too few answers. Although it may seem insensitive to some... it is also insensitive to leave thousands of innocent guests without answers. Many have commented that it was not even taped off as a crime scene. Many have questions and want answers, a way to come to terms with what really happened... some sort of closure... a way to perhaps prevent something like this, even if just for one other person. Many want to know the truth and have justice for this boy and his family. NOT just want they think happened. It seems to many visitors that the club and community was more concerned with bad publicity than the well being of ALL the guests that were at the hotel. Just saying and Still praying.
Anonymous New York NY

Yonkers, NY

#89 Jan 18, 2012
If it were my loved one (as some refer to) I would want to know the truth and I believe the time will come when they want that to. You'll see.

Since: Jan 12

Whitewright, TX

#90 Jan 18, 2012
Anonymous New York NY wrote:
If it were my loved one (as some refer to) I would want to know the truth and I believe the time will come when they want that to. You'll see.
Nobody can ever really know the "truth". As for the loved ones wanting ot know. This is a very deep open wound that needs to be tended to and have time to heal.

I don't believe that anyone is interested in covering up anything. Quite the opposite. We are opening up to our young people, working to see that this kind of tragedy doesn't happen again. While it is sad that this happened and so many had to experience it, the Kelley family needs private time to grieve for their son.

Please try to show compassion during this time of great sorrow.
I pray for each and every person who had to go through this horrific thing. I know God is the healer, we need to seek Him for our comfort and understanding.
kat

Dallas, TX

#91 Jan 19, 2012
Whitewright Parent wrote:
<quoted text>You know some of these posts and comments are really sick. How could it have been even more TRAGIC??? Jordan lost his life... What is more tragic than that? I know the Kelley family well and they are wonderful people that don't deserve this nor all the disrespectful comments that people are posting. Jordan was such a promising young man and the tragedy is that he is gone. My daughter has been friends with him since elementary school. Only God knows what he was thinking and why. Please have some respect for his mom, dad, sisters, family, friends, class mates, teachers, the whitewright community, Beta and anyone else's heart that he touched and keep all the nasty comments and details to yourself. The last thing the Kelley family needs is to be subject to this. Just pray for them all and pray that they can all find peace in their hearts to deal with this tragedy. RIP Jordan
RIP MR KELLEY
He didn't lose his life, he gave it up to be in a better place . This is what he wanted and we should be thankful he touched our lives !
anonymous

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#92 Jan 19, 2012
Duncan from Canada wrote:
I too was at the Hyatt Hotel from Friday Till Sunday for a convention and had talked to many of these students over the couple of days we were all there. I found them for the most part to be very well behaved and it sounds like the students were there because of a very high academic percentage. My friend who is a retired Toronto Police Officer and myself were amongst the first to the scene of where this young boy landed and it is something I will never forget, it truly saddened me that this young man felt such a loss for his father that he decided that he wanted to go be with him, my heart is so heavy for the loss of his life and the loss for his family. I pray that God will help heal his family, I also pray for all young teens, I have a 19 year old son of my own, I pray that you never let life beat you down to the point of wanting to take your own life, continually look to God for your help and never be afraid to turn to your friends for help, lean on each other always and support each other. I am truly sorry that this had to happen, please don't blame each other, just vow to make sure this doesn't happen again!:(:(
He didn't lose his father...his father is a coach. He wanted to be with his FATHER in heaven
Beta Mom

Flint, TX

#93 Jan 19, 2012
My daughter was at the convention and was in a position to hear and see most of what happened. She and her friends are struggling to come to terms with what happened and are in constant prayer for Jordan's family, friends, and community. While my daughter IS having a hard time, she knows it is just a fraction of what those closest to him are feeling. However, having said that, I have to make a note that while we should respect the family and allow them to grieve in peace, it is also a grieving process that the other beta kids who were there are going through. For many of them, it is important to understand as much as possible what happened, and that means sharing the details. I have been thoroughly impressed with how these young people have leaned on one another and how they are coping. But please don't criticize them for wanting and needing some of the details. For these young folks, a blog like this is exactly how many of them communicate and process things. They are deeply affected and scarred by what happened to this young man and are doing their best to make their peace with it and to learn from it. I pray for the strong hand of God to comfort the family, friends, and all those who are affected by this tragedy.
Charlie

United States

#94 Jan 19, 2012
I am very sorry that this happened. I was sitting about 100 feet from where Jordan Luke Kelley struck the atrium. I went over to try and help him. I am sorry that there was nothing I could do. I prayed for him right there on the atrium..

To the friends and family of this young man, be strong, lean on God and stick together through this. I am truely sorry for your loss...
help is available

Texarkana, TX

#95 Jan 19, 2012
I am reposting this from "Fannin Grayson Peace" on Facebook - this is for the youth and their parents who are struggling to cope with this tragedy:

This past year, we have witnessed multiple suicides in our small clusters of schools. Countless youth and adults who attended this past Saturday night's Beta convention are seeking to make sense of the visual memories, are angry and shocked and numb. The students that attended this convention are impacted, and in some way, each person who hears of these deaths is changed forever. We see in our minds the anguished moment in which the youth made the choice, or was found after the death, and we all experience to some degree a measure of despair and trauma.

We cannot control these events that have already occurred, but I know many of us are desperately seeking ways to help our young children and youth as they assimilate and integrate these horrors, and we seek ways to be a part of helping them to process these losses. We know that suicide has an impact on each of us,as individuals and as a community, and we may feel guilt and shame, or perhaps incredible anxiety and intrusive thoughts as we are bombarded with the unwelcome and intrusive images, bad dreams, and hypervigilance, or the inability to relax, as we begin to fear what will now happen as ripple effects. Some of us have trouble sleeping, we experience sadness and sometimes hopelessness and despair, even numbness and detachment, depending on teh baseline coping skills and experiences we bring to the situation. Even for those who do not know the youth who have died, there are impacts in the fabric of our world.

Megan Massey, LMSW (Fannin County Family Crisis Center) and I are organizing youth to come together from Fannin and Grayson counties for a social and connecting time this Friday, January 20th @ 5:30 at the Fannin County Family Crisis Center on the square, 118 E. Sam Rayburn Drive. We are gathering to offer our youth in our close communities a connection site wherein we can address some coping skills, play some team building games, and help each other begin to sort through some our recent traumas in a very safe manner. Our young people are scared and hurting, and we need to help them get grounded, and give them hope. We want to give youth a chance to talk, but also to have a break from the trauma. We will watch a movie, and eat, and laugh as well. We want to extend to them some basic principles such as how important it is to reach out to talk to others when we are anguished, that this is not shameful but courageous. We want to educate our youth about how texting and facebooking about depression is not the same as reaching out. We need human contact, we need to pledge to each other that we can reach out and that we will not continue this pattern. We do not have to isolate ourselves, we can come together and we can support each other. We can help our community to become more resilient by building a web of support to hold each other up, and offering sincere availability and willingness to be there for each other. If we cannot build these connections and engage them, our youth will continue to disconnect and avoid pain until they are so overwhelmed and lonely that we will be faced with more suicide, more drug use and impulsive behavior, more behavioral evidence of their isolation.
help is available

Texarkana, TX

#97 Jan 19, 2012
This is part 1 of a message from Fannin Grayson Peace on Facebook - it's for all of the youth and parents struggling to cope with this tragedy:

This past year, we have witnessed multiple suicides in our small clusters of schools. Countless youth and adults who attended this past Saturday night's Beta convention are seeking to make sense of the visual memories, are angry and shocked and numb. The students that attended this convention are impacted, and in some way, each person who hears of these deaths is changed forever. We see in our minds the anguished moment in which the youth made the choice, or was found after the death, and we all experience to some degree a measure of despair and trauma.

We cannot contol these events that have already occured, but I know many of us are desperately seeking ways to help our young children and youth as they assimilate and integrate these horrors, and we seek ways to be a part of helping them to process these losses. We know that suicide has an impact on each of us,as individuals and as a community, and we may feel guilt and shame, or perhaps incredible anxiety and intrusive thoughts as we are bombarded with the unwelcome and intrusive images, bad dreams, and hypervigilance, or the inability to relax, as we begin to fear what will now happen as ripple effects. Some of us have trouble sleeping, we experience sadness and sometimes hopelessness and despair, even numbness and detachment, depending on teh baseline coping skills and experiences we bring to the situation. Even for those who do not know the youth who have died, there are impacts in the fabric of our world.

Megan Massey, LMSW (Fannin County Family Crisis Center) and I are organizing youth to come together from Fannin and Grayson counties for a social and connecting time this Friday, January 20th @ 5:30 at the Fannin County Family Crisis Center on the square, 118 E. Sam Rayburn Drive. We are gathering to offer our youth in our close communities a connection site wherein we can address some coping skills, play some team building games, and help each other begin to sort through some our recent traumas in a very safe manner. Our young people are scared and hurting, and we need to help them get grounded, and give them hope. We want to give youth a chance to talk, but also to have a break from the trauma. We will watch a movie, and eat, and laugh as well. We want to extend to them some basic principles such as how important it is to reach out to talk to others when we are anguished, that this is not shameful but courageous. We want to educate our youth about how texting and facebooking about depression is not the same as reaching out. We need human contact, we need to pledge to each other that we can reach out and that we will not continue this pattern. We do not have to isolate ourselves, we can come together and we can support each other. We can help our community to become more resilient by building a web of support to hold each other up, and offering sincere availability and willingness to be there for each other. If we cannot build these connections and engage them, our youth will continue to disconnect and avoid pain until they are so overwhelmed and lonely that we will be faced with more suicide, more drug use and impulsive behavior, more behavioral evidence of their isolation.
help is available

Texarkana, TX

#98 Jan 19, 2012
sorry I reposted part 1 again - on my computer it looked like part 1 was not on here....
Boomer

Clearwater, FL

#99 Jan 19, 2012
Beta Mom wrote:
My daughter was at the convention and was in a position to hear and see most of what happened. She and her friends are struggling to come to terms with what happened and are in constant prayer for Jordan's family, friends, and community. While my daughter IS having a hard time, she knows it is just a fraction of what those closest to him are feeling. However, having said that, I have to make a note that while we should respect the family and allow them to grieve in peace, it is also a grieving process that the other beta kids who were there are going through. For many of them, it is important to understand as much as possible what happened, and that means sharing the details. I have been thoroughly impressed with how these young people have leaned on one another and how they are coping. But please don't criticize them for wanting and needing some of the details. For these young folks, a blog like this is exactly how many of them communicate and process things. They are deeply affected and scarred by what happened to this young man and are doing their best to make their peace with it and to learn from it. I pray for the strong hand of God to comfort the family, friends, and all those who are affected by this tragedy.

I have to completely disagree. This is not the place for details.Blogging the details of a child's death is evil. What if it was your child? What has happened to privacy and families dealing with a tragedy like this privately. You don't have to know everything....this will not heal the sadness. I pray that God blesses everyone involved. TALK to your children!!
Anonymous

Athens, TX

#100 Jan 20, 2012
I am deeply grieved by the loss of this child. I see the picture over and over and wonder why did I witness this tragedy. I have a son that is twelve and has Autism and has been teased and bullied for his differences. We have an opportunity as a society to choose wisely the things that we say and do and not allow our mouths to be the weapon we use to destroy the lives of others! There is no one person to blame, John 10:10 The thief comes to steal, kill and destroy. I have come that they may have life and have it to the full. Let's give life not judgement or condemnation. Use this time to grieve, but we are not to grieve as those with no hope, our hope is in the Lord. My thoughts and prayers are with this family in their deepest need
and pray that this will bind them together with friends and family. This is our chance and the children and adults who witnessed this tragedy to rise up and make the changes necessary to help prevent such needless tragedy. God Bless!
WW Beta parent

Mckinney, TX

#101 Jan 20, 2012
slr wrote:
Please, for the sake of her privacy, and her well being, please do not contact her. She is hurting more than you will ever imagine, and she does not need a recap of the events of her sons death. I know Jennifer personally...and I am a mother of two. Please just keep the details to yourself.
<quoted text>
YES YES!! I know her too and my daughter was with him that day. PLEASE let the family have peace.
Texas Club Member

Buffalo, TX

#102 Jan 20, 2012
Me and my club were at the same convention, and We heard what happen to Jk and we are deeply heart broken. I couldn't imagine what his family and friends are going through. I lost a close relative just a month back, this is a though situation and this is not the time to make drama or blame anyone. I can tell you first hand that there is a lot of supervision we had a midnight curfew and if we broke it we got in trouble. Please, let the family have peace and keep them in your prayers and please dont start drama. I never met him but every Beta Club member our outstanding members and kept to high standards. I pray for the family, friends, all Beta Club members who have to face this, and anyone else who was at the convention.
Another WW Beta Parent

Roanoke, TX

#103 Jan 20, 2012
Please leave this family alone! I understand that everyone that was there feels like they need details for closure, but we aren't going to get them. My own child is traumatized and devastated and there are just no answers. Period! The only details we all need to know are how to cling closely to Jesus so that He can give us closure. The pastor for the funeral services did a super job comforting our whole community. Find a pastor in your area and talk to him/her about what you or your child witnessed;get you or your child trauma counseling;and if you must get details then please CALL someone to talk about it. This family doesn't need to know all of these details, of which many are just rumors or hearsay anyway. I can tell you that half of the reported "details" on this forum are false. Is it okay to be disrespectful to family by repeating unconfirmed details(or confirmed) just because we can? No, we need to be respectful of this family and not put our discussions of details on the internet where they will be forever. Please have compassion and common decency. Again, we are all needing closure, but the way we are seeking closure is not the right way to go about it. I would also plead that you delete your post if it includes hurtful comments for the family, Whitewright Beta's, or the sponsors.
I know the trauma this has caused and I'm so sorry for all who are affected. Please know that I am praying for all involved, as many in Whitewright are also doing. I want to thank all the Beta clubs and our surrounding communities for all of your love, prayers, cards and visits. We truly have wonderful students and citizens in Texas with very bright futures. God bless you all and I hope that you can find peace and comfort in Him!
btw

Roanoke, TX

#104 Jan 20, 2012
Boomer wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to completely disagree. This is not the place for details.Blogging the details of a child's death is evil. What if it was your child? What has happened to privacy and families dealing with a tragedy like this privately. You don't have to know everything....this will not heal the sadness. I pray that God blesses everyone involved. TALK to your children!!
There are no "details" to get. I totally understand the dilemma of our children wanting to know why, however this is a great teaching opportunity to show them that we do still have boundaries and we do need to demonstrate human decency. My 16 year old hunk of a tough football player is still sleeping in the room with his Dad and me. Trauma counseling and visits by our preacher have helped him to begin the grief and closure processes. Please be compassionate! You can argue against what I've said, but have you done any research on suicide or talked to a grief counselor? I have and these are the things that I'm hearing. It is so hard for our kids(and for us), but if you really want to help them, then take the appropriate steps to help them heal. Keeping them wondering about details that arent there will only delay the healing process.
Anonymous

Roanoke, TX

#105 Jan 20, 2012
Beta Mom wrote:
No one is criticizing us kids. However I am questioning your judgment on how they are being directed. There are no answers, only random details that don't tell why this happened. Lead us, your children, by showing us the path to healing, which doesn't include rehashing all of the details on a public forum. Please teach healing through compassion by showing it yourselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitewright Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spring market Aug 20 VALUE SHOPPER 1
Angel angles (Oct '15) Aug 17 anonymous 38
b&b foods has competition again Aug 14 VALUE SHOPPER 1
Brookshire's set to open new store in Whitewright Aug 5 Right down the st... 1
Blue Ridge Man, Justin Corbett-child murderer Aug 3 Disgusted 1
New cafe on the square Jul 26 Poison Ivey Jr 3
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun '16 robert 994

Whitewright Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Whitewright Mortgages