15-year-old killed in fall from downt...

15-year-old killed in fall from downtown Hyatt

There are 134 comments on the Dallas Morning News story from Jan 15, 2012, titled 15-year-old killed in fall from downtown Hyatt. In it, Dallas Morning News reports that:

The boy, from Whitewright, landed on the second-floor atrium of the Hyatt Regency Hotel about 9:15 p.m. and died on impact, according to police.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dallas Morning News.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Father of 4

United States

#1 Jan 15, 2012
We pray for the family. R.I.P. young man.
Danny

Redlands, CA

#2 Jan 15, 2012
I was right there when it happened and my blessings go out to his family and prays for them during this rough time.
just went there

United States

#3 Jan 15, 2012
I pray for peace for the family of this precious young man...I would like to know why "Danny" who was right there when it happened...didn't get help for him or stop him.....prayers for all involved that you find peace
Ctt

Midland, TX

#4 Jan 15, 2012
just went there wrote:
I pray for peace for the family of this precious young man...I would like to know why "Danny" who was right there when it happened...didn't get help for him or stop him.....prayers for all involved that you find peace
I believe what he meant by " being right there" is that he was in the same hotel....as was I. It was a sad sad sad unbelievable ordeal. Praying for the family and all who were effected by this tragic event.
Danny

Colton, CA

#5 Jan 15, 2012
just went there wrote:
My brother and I were in the lounge when we heard the loud bang and saw him laying there. It was to late. We were in shock when it happened.
Anonymous

Center, TX

#6 Jan 15, 2012
Definitely praying for his family!! But also praying for ALL the others students that were there to witness this tragedy. Some of them have the images burned in their minds. BETA conventions will not be the same.
Wilson Ferreira

New York, NY

#7 Jan 16, 2012
Praying right this moment. May he Rest In Peace.
Ana B

Roseville, CA

#8 Jan 16, 2012
I was in one of the glass elevators when I heard a bang that sounded like a shot gun. I saw the young man laying there. It was so tragic. My heart is heavy. I am praying for the boy's family.
I looked up the Beta Convention's schedule which the young man attended and the address given at 6pm Saturday night was entitled "At Least They Wait Until Your Dead" What does that mean?!
just went there

Ennis, TX

#9 Jan 16, 2012
praying for peace for all who witnessed or was there...just praying for the young man and his family and friends....we will never understand why this has to happen to such a promising young person. God bless all and please find peace. Don't forget to telll those around you how much they mean to you...even a smile

Since: Oct 11

Texarkana, TX

#10 Jan 16, 2012
Ana, that's interesting...I'm curious, too, as to the content of that presentation.
Anonymous

Alvin, TX

#11 Jan 16, 2012
Ana B wrote:
I was in one of the glass elevators when I heard a bang that sounded like a shot gun. I saw the young man laying there. It was so tragic. My heart is heavy. I am praying for the boy's family.
I looked up the Beta Convention's schedule which the young man attended and the address given at 6pm Saturday night was entitled "At Least They Wait Until Your Dead" What does that mean?!
I was at the Beta convention. The speech was on how we need to treat each other with love and respect. Not enough room here to explain adequately why the young man who gave the speech used that title but it in no way would have lead to this tragic incident. I have worked with teenagers for many years, and sadly the way they deal so emotionally with problems in their lives can and does often lead them to contemplate ending it all. Tragically, a few do before anyone can see to help them through their had situation. There is always a lot of blame that can be thrown around in a case such as this but this never helps anyone. The only thing that can be done is what was done by the Beta members and sponsers as well as so many others in the hotel at the time. You have to turn to God for comfort and strength, and pray for family and friends of the victim.
heavy heart

Gainesville, FL

#12 Jan 16, 2012
I was at the Hyatt from Thursday to Sunday and witnessed this tragic event. There were hundreds if not thousands of children attending the beta event with what seemed like ZERO adult supervision. Friday night there were kids spitting off the 3rd floor, running down the halls at all hours of the night, and never once did I see an adult in sight. My heart goes out to the boys family and friends.
Marla

Dallas, TX

#13 Jan 16, 2012
Danny wrote:
<quoted text>
My brother and I were in the lounge when we heard the loud bang and saw him laying there. It was to late. We were in shock when it happened.
Danny if he knew you I know you would have helped. A vision you will never forget and a confusion we will hopefully never know. We are blessed you are in our lives which are all to short
so saddened

Leonard, TX

#14 Jan 16, 2012
WHY ???????? what caused such a horrible thought to do this ?
Anonymous

Edgefield, SC

#15 Jan 16, 2012
The speech was about cannibals and how they tear each other down after one was dead. It was a compare and contrast speech urging Betas to build themselves and everyone around them up. The title was simply an attention grabber as sometimes it is hard to sit through hour long sessions. There was no negative content in it whatsoever. The Beta club is not to blame for this heart breaking tragedy. Every kid there was affected by it and reached out to help. There is no one to blame for something so terrible.
Natalie

Wethersfield, CT

#16 Jan 16, 2012
I was at the hotel from Thusday - Sunday for a convention and interacted with many of the teenagers that were also there at the time. I found them all delightful, funny, smart and respectful. If they were up running the halls and spitting over the railing it sounds like harmless teenage fun that I or you might have done as a teen.
Playing the blame game or speculating why it happen or why it shouldn't have happened isn't our place to do. We only have bits and pieces of information.
My heart is very heavy that this young man felt he had to end his life. I will keep his family, friends and fellow students in my prayers. They will need a lot of support to walk through this tragedy.
heavy heart

Gainesville, FL

#17 Jan 16, 2012
I agree with you... The only point I was trying to make is that there should of been more adult supervision. Maybe if there was someone accountable for this boy he would of had someone to talk to...
jessica

United States

#18 Jan 16, 2012
My heart and prayers go out to the kelley family! His mother was my high school teacher and is such a wonderful person. I had never met him and do not know what in the world was going through this young man's head, but I pray deeply for his family and friends! I know it must be hard to deal with! To the Kelley family: My thoughts and prayers are with you guys. I am so sorry for your loss, God be with you guys through this time!
Anonymous

Carrollton, TX

#20 Jan 16, 2012
It was an awful thing to happen, but many of you are mistaken. The real, known story is that the boy committed suicide. He sent his mother and a few others a text right before he jumped with something along he lines of "I'm sorry I have to do this, I am going to be with my father". It was a large, open setting and the possible thousands of students had been recently released from a speech. All of these facts are confirmed.
Anonymous

Humble, TX

#21 Jan 16, 2012
SHADEE wrote:
Ana, that's interesting...I'm curious, too, as to the content of that presentation.
I attended the convention and the speech was about how canibals wait until you are dead to tear you apart but people who are bullying tear you apart alive. Something to that effect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitewright Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Angel angles (Oct '15) Jun 23 anonymous 62
Hi Jun 16 Hilow 1
News Heather Trimble with daughter Matilda Jun 16 Marla Liggett 1
News Sammy Sadler releasing 'In America' country mus... (Aug '16) May '17 JOJO 16
Does anybody know Shannon Hanna? Apr '17 Beavis 5
News Tiny home addiction treatment community closer ... Apr '17 addictionrehab100... 2
Leonard Picnic Question Feb '17 Bill Tubbs 1

Whitewright Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Whitewright Mortgages