Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2012

Judged:

I happened through that little corner of the world. We were doing vacation and headed to Myrtle Beach. Met this sheriff by happen stance. Seems he had a road check. As an attorney and while waiting in line for my family's turn, I watched in awe as this big beastly looking man talked down to others. He even made kids and old folks "step to the rear NOW!" When it was our turn I was questioned on my New Hampshire plates. Why was I this far away from home? Had I ever been arrested for drugs? To which I replied, No criminal record as I am an attorney. The big man replied, "Makes no difference, I have put away many attorneys- step to the rear!" I then asked for a supervisor. All of the other officers began to laugh. I am the big dog the big guy claimed. He then told us to have a nice day and handed me a card. It was Sheriff Chris Batten. I later contacted the office of the district attorney. A young lady on the phone told me that she wasn't surprised of my story and claimed that she had many more calls on the sheriff. I emphatically stated that I would file a complaint or a suit but I wanted to make a statement otherwise. Days later I received a call from Rex Gore who said he was the district attorney in charge. He was kind and nice and apologetic but claimed that the sheriff was under a lot of stress. he went on to say that the sheriff had done a great job and spoke highly of him. I replied that many thought Fidel Castro was a fine person as well. However a sheriff should not go around violating civil liberties and harassing citizens. The conversation went nowhere. I was later contacted by the county attorney named Fowler and received somewhat of an apolology with a promise that the sheriff would receive a "talking to." I later learned that the county attorney, Steven Fowler, was also let go. So I am not surprised to read that the district attorney was thrown out. Neither do these comments on Sheriff Batten surprise me. He like the former district attorney should go. Rights are nothing to play with. Looks like this new district attorney is causing a stir in the good sheriff's camp. Good. a Internet search shows many complaints against the sheriff and also shows that one of his men, Danny Duncan was sent to federal prison for violating rights. Again, am I surprised? Not one bit. The media should be commended for allowing comments. It should also investigate Sheriff Batten and his operating practices. Just might find something there.
John Smiley

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2012

Judged:

In Columbus County, as in Red China, justice and law enforcement mean something completely different than in the rest of the US. You are own your own.
linenlady

Woodbury, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2012

Judged:

Well Well, Why is this not a surprise??
I have been trying to sign a compliant against Batten and his
department for 2 years now. they all cover each others backs.
The new DA did respond to me ( and the only one)after about 10 letters and numerous phone calls to every official in Columbus County.
However, the two official men he suggested I write to never responded either. What a place?? I am glad I don't live there and
feel bad for the people who have to live there.
He is a big lug who throws his weight around and does nothing but that. So..... if you find a way to file a complaint against him please post how you did it so I can file my complaint.
I figured sooner or later I will get my justice, with or without a complaint this guy has pissed so many people off, it is only a matter of time.
Bill Rice

Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2012

Judged:

Batten is a slug and while he claims to be a Christian; is an embarrassment to all who have associated with him. He should get down onhis knees and ask God above to forgive him of his lies and misdeeds. The Columbus County Sheriff's Department has become so corrupt under Mr. Batten. It can only begin to change and heal when he leaves.
RC S

Garner, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2012

Judged:

What comes out of a Chinaman's ass ? RICE
only in Columbus County

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Judged:

The Feds need to come in and turn Batten's sham of a department upside down. Wondering if it will ever happen
ChinesWoman

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

What us wrong with America?? Why are you letting this slug bullying you around?? This is unacceptable behavior and it should NOT be tolerated!!! Period!!! Where is the Fed to step in and restored this county for God sake!! I hate seeing people get mistreated!! Where is justice in all of this? For crying out loud, the dude is only a frickin sherriff!! Arrest his ASS!!!
Sam

Denver, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

ChinesWoman wrote:
What us wrong with America?? Why are you letting this slug bullying you around?? This is unacceptable behavior and it should NOT be tolerated!!! Period!!! Where is the Fed to step in and restored this county for God sake!! I hate seeing people get mistreated!! Where is justice in all of this? For crying out loud, the dude is only a frickin sherriff!! Arrest his ASS!!!
The Sheriff is the highest ranking law enforcement official in his jurisdiction He runs the county and no one can do anything about it he is above the Feds or any other law enforcement in his county what he says goes. Plus he never done anything illegal.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Whiteville Discussions

Search the Whiteville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 8 min Delinger 55,826
'Rev. Jeremy Cribb' ministry site posted, then ... (Mar '10) Thu Get your Facts Straight 442
Fair Bluff police officer charged with secret p... Wed mars 7
Chief Marty Lewis washing cars Wed Becky Davis 20
Pulitzer Prize-winning NC newspaper publisher dies (Oct '09) Jul 21 HLH 3
Anybody remember Colcor ?? (Jul '08) Jul 13 goldcatcher 19
Why did they go after Ron Hewitt? Jul 13 mars 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Whiteville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000