First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Worry

Wheelwright, KY

#1 Jan 5, 2013
Should this much money be wasted on a trip to honor the presedent after what he has done to this area?
Skfbdkx

Tucker, GA

#2 Jan 5, 2013
It's not to honor him. It's a trip to the most historical area in the U.S. What he has "done" to this area is debatable. The money used for the trip is made by fundraisers that the students going on the trip raise themselves.
Just Saying

Whitesburg, KY

#3 Jan 5, 2013
I think that it's a wonderful opportunity for them :)
Wow

Whitesburg, KY

#4 Jan 5, 2013
Skfbdkx wrote:
It's not to honor him. It's a trip to the most historical area in the U.S. What he has "done" to this area is debatable. The money used for the trip is made by fundraisers that the students going on the trip raise themselves.
No, they're not raising it themselves. They're not offering any services or goods. They're out begging for money. Money that the people don't have because the President they're going to play for tool their jobs.
First part first chair

Versailles, KY

#5 Jan 5, 2013
Are u serious?? Debatable! Exactly how many men lost their jobs yesterday? U should b ashamed to even consider spending 80,000$ even if it is obtained thru "fundraising"... Aka begging at the intersections!
U are right though about it being a historical event... How about using the money to take 100's of our kids to witness the event...instead of taking sooooooo many chaperones! And have a real MARCH on Washington.
This would be a great opportunity to show that we are not just dumb hicks that "play" underground. Make this a truly educational once in a lifetime opportunity to make a change! To show Mr. President the children of "coal country"...
Kinda like the trip to Washington made in the early 80s, when all the coal trucks went...now that was historic!
Just Saying

Whitesburg, KY

#6 Jan 5, 2013
I honestly think that everyone needs to stop with the crap. It's not ALL the president's fault that people lost their jobs. Have you ever thought that maybe other government officals are responsible?
Skfbdkx

Whitesburg, KY

#8 Jan 6, 2013
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they're not raising it themselves. They're not offering any services or goods. They're out begging for money. Money that the people don't have because the President they're going to play for tool their jobs.
I happen to go there and know the kids going, so I know they raise it themselves.

It is debatable because I can argue against you, but it'd be a waste of time.
ashame

Prestonsburg, KY

#9 Jan 6, 2013
Skfbdkx wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to go there and know the kids going, so I know they raise it themselves.
It is debatable because I can argue against you, but it'd be a waste of time.
They are not raising it their self..Parents begging for it...I know parent got it all over facebook..How is that raising the money their self..
Just Saying

Whitesburg, KY

#10 Jan 6, 2013
How would you expect anyone to raise that much money in such a short time?
Wow

Whitesburg, KY

#11 Jan 6, 2013
Just Saying wrote:
How would you expect anyone to raise that much money in such a short time?
My point exactly! So why do it?
Just Saying

Whitesburg, KY

#12 Jan 6, 2013
Because it's an honor to go to the parade.
hello

Wheelwright, KY

#13 Jan 6, 2013
If its such and honor let the parents pay for it it leave the public alone
Parent

Whitesburg, KY

#14 Jan 6, 2013
My child is a member of the LCC band.

My husband is a laid off coal miner and our child WILL NOT be making this trip.

We can not afford to pay, the school can not afford to pay and there is NO WAY I am going to be begging for money while our community is hurting so badly on this extravagant trip.
hello

Wheelwright, KY

#15 Jan 6, 2013
Sorry to hear your husband is laid off my heart hurts for all the coal miners that don't have a job also sorry for your child not being able to go.You sound like a great parent not one that wants their child to go at the expience of the community.
Band alumni

Versailles, KY

#16 Jan 6, 2013
Parent wrote:
My child is a member of the LCC band.
My husband is a laid off coal miner and our child WILL NOT be making this trip.
We can not afford to pay, the school can not afford to pay and there is NO WAY I am going to be begging for money while our community is hurting so badly on this extravagant trip.
I praise u for the example u r setting...I pray that other parents, teachers, and superintendents would have the fortitude to stand up for beliefs in this community. We all need to b working together to help these out of work families SURVIVE. And yes, under different circumstances this would be a great opportunity, however, I see it as a slap in the face.
God bless you and your family.
ugh

Ivel, KY

#17 Jan 7, 2013
Skfbdkx wrote:
if its just a historical trip then why play for the president. But since its to play for the president then the band should wear support coat shirts.
Just Saying

Whitesburg, KY

#18 Jan 7, 2013
Once again, not everyone in this area supports coal.
Parent

Whitesburg, KY

#19 Jan 7, 2013
Just Saying wrote:
Once again, not everyone in this area supports coal.
This area TOTALLY depends on coal to drive its economy,to not support coal, is to not support our local area.
Just Saying

Whitesburg, KY

#20 Jan 7, 2013
There are other jobs besides coal mining. If there weren't, this area would be dead already. Coal miners are going other places for jobs.
Parent

Whitesburg, KY

#21 Jan 7, 2013
What jobs in Letcher county are not driven from the coal economy?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitesburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 36 min iTsN0UsE 163,696
need 51 min wow 3
county workers talking 1 hr looking 7
blue beat up truck in isom 2 hr caitlin 10
Rumor Has It Money Needed For Reelection 3 hr Time to end this 32
esther brooke tucker and chris pucket?? 6 hr CTucker 24
Finance Reading At Fiscal Court Meeting???? 19 hr Puppet 4

Whitesburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Whitesburg Mortgages