smc

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

can we just say that i've been a few years in a a row loved the music everyone acts like one big family, yeah few things go on but d=come on if you dont want in on it walk away its only 50 freakin acres up there. jim is a great man and i love him to death .. and by the way when you do see the guy with the mushroom hat maybe you should buy some.. lighten up a bit and let others do whatever they want and not be so judgemental. my only shame is that out of the people that i've seen there only a few are defending him the flamingo and the actions we partake in up there.thanks kmm for all your replies
kmn

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

"whatever".. i don't think you make a very good judge of intelligence - your logic is all to hell. firstly, i'm neutral. also, if someone feels wronged by a person it is absolutely that person's responsibility to explain themselves. maybe he didn't do anyone wrong - i believe that is very possible. i also believe it is possible that what "buttercup" said is true. here is his chance, that's all. if you can't get that, then you really should reconsider speaking of anyone's intelligence - it may damage your poor little brain.
Silent Majority

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Wow, what a debate over "Mars". I've gone up there since I was a kid and I've been to one of the parties. kmn, I wish there were more people like you in this county. I get physically ill when I hear the kind of backward nonsense like what "Not So" and "What" say. I've heard it my whole life. And you know they are teaching their kids that anything different is wrong and trying to make narrow-mindedness a life choice for their offspring. It's sad that some people here never accepted the Appalshop and what they do. I'd think that after all the years they've been here the nay-sayers would finally have seen that they aren't here to hurt us and they are not aliens in a wooden, modern-art space ship disguised as the mysterious Appalshop. What do they do in there anyway? I hear sounds at night? People going in, NEVER COMING OUT!! Ha Ha. Thank you Appalshop for all you've done for the community despite the rednecks. I loved going there when I was in high school and learning about media and drama and my mountain heritage though all the local history things you have. What a wonderful place for area youth. As for the Pink Flamingo Cover Up: Sorry, not a devil-worship, orgy-based, soul-killing gathering of all-around evil-doors (look at that nice row of hypenated descriptions). Just a group of environmentally aware people getting together and playing music into the night...and burning that DEVIL GRASS!
Jackass the Movie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

They're the "Apple Heads" from the Apple shop, as in "Tree Huggers" that hate mining coal!
Silent Majority

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Mining coal is what we do. It is part of our heritage just as much as anything else in the mountains. I stand behind every coalminer and I believe in our right to mine and the need for it. I also believe in finding alternate, clean solutions to power and fuel. Nothing will be in place and in practical, common use before our coal is completely mined anyway. We do not have to be against the idea of clean energy solutions. We've been mining these mountains a long time, the coal is not limitless. We need to begin thinking about what we'll do when it's gone. And these beautiful mountains look great the way the are. Strip mining and deep mining don't leave the kind of permanent damage that mountain-top removal does, ALTHOUGH (don't hate me yet) some mountain-top removal is good for the area in that it creates more flat land to develop and allow the area to grow after the coal is gone. This is not a simple debate; it requires much thought and probably more than one solution.
kmn

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

devil grass haha. well said, i get sick when i think about what some of the people around are passing on to their kids too. my opinion on coal seems very similar to yours. i'm from a county next door, but i've been staying in letcher county over the past year. i'd like to get more involved in things over here.
bill smith

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2009

Judged:

Silent Majority wrote:
Mining coal is what we do. It is part of our heritage just as much as anything else in the mountains. I stand behind every coalminer and I believe in our right to mine and the need for it. I also believe in finding alternate, clean solutions to power and fuel. Nothing will be in place and in practical, common use before our coal is completely mined anyway. We do not have to be against the idea of clean energy solutions. We've been mining these mountains a long time, the coal is not limitless. We need to begin thinking about what we'll do when it's gone. And these beautiful mountains look great the way the are. Strip mining and deep mining don't leave the kind of permanent damage that mountain-top removal does, ALTHOUGH (don't hate me yet) some mountain-top removal is good for the area in that it creates more flat land to develop and allow the area to grow after the coal is gone. This is not a simple debate; it requires much thought and probably more than one solution.
spoken like the true hippie ass democrat you are.
whatever

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2009

Judged:

kmn wrote:
"whatever".. i don't think you make a very good judge of intelligence - your logic is all to hell. firstly, i'm neutral. also, if someone feels wronged by a person it is absolutely that person's responsibility to explain themselves. maybe he didn't do anyone wrong - i believe that is very possible. i also believe it is possible that what "buttercup" said is true. here is his chance, that's all. if you can't get that, then you really should reconsider speaking of anyone's intelligence - it may damage your poor little brain.
logic has nothing to do with it as there is no such thing in letcher co. As for my intelligence, I will go up against the vast majority ANYTIME. I don't know where you come up with the logic that he owes an explanation to you or anyone other than the police if he came about the property in an unlawful way but as for having to explain anything to anyone on topix...rotflmao Maybe your little peabrain thinks so much of itself that it actually believes it is important but guess what moron....you are no different that the next guy and our founding fathers knew enough to protect us against idiots like you, neutral or not nobody has to answer to or even acknowledge that you exist.
Silent Majority

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2009

Judged:

Well bill smith, that's an unusual name. Rare. Unfortunately, your comment isn't; spoken like the true right-wing, hater of all progress, stickuphisass, money-grubbin' republican't that you are, sir.
I'm John Doe, and I approve this message.
kmn

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2009

whatever wrote:
<quoted text>logic has nothing to do with it as there is no such thing in letcher co. As for my intelligence, I will go up against the vast majority ANYTIME. I don't know where you come up with the logic that he owes an explanation to you or anyone other than the police if he came about the property in an unlawful way but as for having to explain anything to anyone on topix...rotflmao Maybe your little peabrain thinks so much of itself that it actually believes it is important but guess what moron....you are no different that the next guy and our founding fathers knew enough to protect us against idiots like you, neutral or not nobody has to answer to or even acknowledge that you exist.
cops aren't baby sitters. if someone comes up to me and claims i've done them wrong, it's my responsibility to address that concern.

your logic was that he was smart enough to get and keep the land, which denotes some sort of slight of hand. i agree that there is no such thing as logic in letcher county, but if it were to have anything to do with this discussion, your logic wouldn't hold any water. i'm wasn't saying he owed topix an explanation, i said it's his responsibility to address any such accusation - if not for the person accusing, then for himself. the accusation could be completely false, and that's why it's now his volley. if he completely ignores this opportunity, then it's not very likely that he obtained the property in a desirable fashion. let's be clear that i'm not saying he probably did his own hoo-doing to get the property. nor am i saying "buttercup" is lying. i'm simply pointing out the efficiency of anonymous forums like this, and also highlighting the ease with which one can either make an accusation or clear his/her name. for social situations, it far exceeds anything the police could do for you, and if you can't see that, don't continue blaming me.

i think until this point, you've missed the point on practically everything i've said. so i don't expect you to make much sense out of this post, either. just because you'd go up against the vast majority doesn't mean you'd make it very far. how intelligent could a hanger-on like you be, anyway? the fact that you called me a peabrain destroys any credibility you may have been able to gain in this thread. don't expect any more responses, i've spoken my piece on the matter. i've described exactly why i think topix (or any other anonymous forum) is the perfect place for bringing this type of shit up.
godhelpusall

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

Judged:

kmn wrote:
<quoted text>
cops aren't baby sitters. if someone comes up to me and claims i've done them wrong, it's my responsibility to address that concern.
your logic was that he was smart enough to get and keep the land, which denotes some sort of slight of hand. i agree that there is no such thing as logic in letcher county, but if it were to have anything to do with this discussion, your logic wouldn't hold any water. i'm wasn't saying he owed topix an explanation, i said it's his responsibility to address any such accusation - if not for the person accusing, then for himself. the accusation could be completely false, and that's why it's now his volley. if he completely ignores this opportunity, then it's not very likely that he obtained the property in a desirable fashion. let's be clear that i'm not saying he probably did his own hoo-doing to get the property. nor am i saying "buttercup" is lying. i'm simply pointing out the efficiency of anonymous forums like this, and also highlighting the ease with which one can either make an accusation or clear his/her name. for social situations, it far exceeds anything the police could do for you, and if you can't see that, don't continue blaming me.
i think until this point, you've missed the point on practically everything i've said. so i don't expect you to make much sense out of this post, either. just because you'd go up against the vast majority doesn't mean you'd make it very far. how intelligent could a hanger-on like you be, anyway? the fact that you called me a peabrain destroys any credibility you may have been able to gain in this thread. don't expect any more responses, i've spoken my piece on the matter. i've described exactly why i think topix (or any other anonymous forum) is the perfect place for bringing this type of shit up.
You live under the assumption (as most of Letcher Co.) that if you hear it or read it then it must be true. Unfortunately, your believing that anonymity brings out the good in people shows us enough that the rest of your post is meaningless. I do agree that the police are not babysitters but neither are our neighbors or the local gossip group at church. As for him having to explain anything to anybody just because someone on topix says so is outrageous, if there is wrongdoing then it is for the police to handle not someone who "has a feeling" that something is wrong. He has been questioned and re-questioned so therefore find another dead horse to beat. And.....I don't know where you got the idea that I endorsed that if you are smart enough to get the land then you are smart enough to keep the land...what an ignorant statement
kmn

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

you must have been reading my other posts, because your first sentence is almost a direct quote of something i commonly say. but no, you're completely missing the point. i know there's no legal obligation for him to explain his side. i've made that very clear. what i'm talking about is accountability, and any respectable person is always accountable. if he's been "questioned and re-questioned" then apparently "buttercup" is not the only person who believes what she said. if he were any kind of man, he'd be accountable for his actions, whether the accusations are true or not. if they're untrue, it's very simple to clear up that accusation. if they're untrue then it's a bit trickier, but an accountable person would still own up to their bad deeds. your biggest mistake is that you're assuming i believe he's guilty of what buttercup said. i've already stated that it's none of my business, i am simply facilitating this process. i don't know or care either way, i'm just providing a question and answer forum which will help clear up the situation. and this brings me to my final point: never did i say anonymity brings out the good in people, and your misassumption that i ever had such an assumption shows that not only are your posts completely irrelevant, they're extremely biased and that your posts, not mine, are meaningless. i've cleared up some things you still haven't been able to understand, and any further doubts in your mind will be better left unadressed. don't bother replying, because i'll likely not even read anything else you say. if you'd like to know what i said instead of "anonymity brings out the good in people" then re-read the post you just quoted. your posts are very unproductive, and are helping neither side (and are making jim webb look significantly more suspicious, which i highly doubt he'd appreciate), so stay out of this discussion until you can look at it with an open mind. c-ya dumbass.
Stargazer

Hindman, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2010

What wrote:
its the biggest party in letcher county. They have them all the time. If the cops would only check it out they would find all kinds of interstate drug trafficking. Ask anyone that goes up there. All kinds of narcotics from pills, to cocaine, to acid, to mushrooms. People come in from out of state and make thousands in one night supplying those there with dope. The landowner is a old man that has ties to appalshop and he knows about it all if not participates. If you drive by during one of these parties you can sometimes see them swinging from the trees buck ass naked. Im all for a good time but I dont understand how they can get by with it and if we have a small house party the law gets called for noise.....come on.
Does anyone know when the Pink Flamingo Soiree 2010 will be held?
doubt it

Hindman, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

What wrote:
its the biggest party in letcher county. They have them all the time. If the cops would only check it out they would find all kinds of interstate drug trafficking. Ask anyone that goes up there. All kinds of narcotics from pills, to cocaine, to acid, to mushrooms. People come in from out of state and make thousands in one night supplying those there with dope. The landowner is a old man that has ties to appalshop and he knows about it all if not participates. If you drive by during one of these parties you can sometimes see them swinging from the trees buck ass naked. Im all for a good time but I dont understand how they can get by with it and if we have a small house party the law gets called for noise.....come on.
Are you retarded? That is the biggest load of Bullshit I've heard lately! If and I say IF anyone is doing drugs its because they brought them with them .. I've been to the camping weekend and yes there's drinking and partying but damn... there's no one even close to his property to be disturbed. Sounds like someone might be alittle jealous!! What is it didnt you get an invitation...or is your ex a frequent flyer on Pine Mt.? LMAO green is definitely not a good color on anyone. Its a fun weekend and yes people do drive from out of state to attend, lots of friends and family take that weekend to visit with those people that they have not seen since the campout last yr. Stop hating...

I Will Be attending The 25th Annual Pine Mountain Tacky Lawn Ornament & Pink Flamingo Soiree!!!! And I don't do drugs! But if anyone up there wants to do them... hey they are grown let em' do whatever the hell they wanna do!
I will b there

Hindman, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Stargazer wrote:
<quoted text>Does anyone know when the Pink Flamingo Soiree 2010 will be held?
August 20 at 5:00pm - August 22 at 12:00pm
SPAM

Clinchco, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

Judged:

I can't believe all of this started from a simple question about the flamingos. I've been going to the Pine Mountain Tacky Lawn Ornament & Pink Flamingo Soiree for 4 years now and I'll be going every year for the rest of my life the mood, the music, the people, the beautiful land, i could go on for ever describing everything i love about that mountain so what if were a bunch of Hippy-billies(a combination of hippy and hillbilly) yeah some people get a little wild but you ever been in a bar with a really drunk guy same thing. the problem with most of you haters is that you've had the straight and narrow beat into your brain since you were kids, now its my generations turn to change that. Yes mining has been our heritage yes mining IS the reason are little mountain towns exist but if we want there to be a planet earth for our children or your grand children for that matter we need to rethink things that's the message Mr. Webb has to spread. Think about it like this if we grew up near the Grand Canyon that's something we would want our children to see right well what if i want my children to see the beauty of Pine Mountain like i got too. I'm sick of all this hate it's people like KMN that send these things spiraling out of control because no matter how peaceful of a person you are you can only be pushed so far until you snap. I don't know about the rest of you but my mom taught me to be kind to others when i was growing up and if those others want to drink a few beers, smoke the devil's grass, or take some magical mushrooms more power to them just like if you want to ruin our beautiful planet by mining coal i won't stop you do i think it's right, hell no but i can't take away your right to do it can i.
terry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Wow you really didnt think we could get the Hippy-billies part?
joke

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2012

this is a joke as well as the appleheads are
Old Hippie

Leburn, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2012

When is the Pink Flamingo Soiree this year?
Well

Hazard, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2012

Does anyone know the dates of the 2012 Soiree? There are two full moons in August so I wasnt sure which weekend it would be held?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Whitesburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 12 min ILoveitHere 149,877
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr very 26,227
Pedophile at Letcher Elementary School 1 hr Mad dad 1
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr AAA 130,225
AnthonyW 3 hr Truth teller 11
Jason Griffith ANNOYING 4 hr Sick And Tired 5
Clinton Stumps for Grimes 4 hr Well 4

Search the Whitesburg Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Whitesburg Jobs

•••