Miner

United States

#1 Feb 6, 2013
Are they doin any good? Was thinking about going down there to look for work when I get my income taxes and just wanted to know if it'd be worth the trip.
yepp
#2 Feb 6, 2013
Alot of water and alot of methane higher levels than any other state but good people there.I suggest australia if you dont mind leaving country 100,000 per year salary and they love american coal miners.I myself have put alot of thought into a warm country look into it they will hire you.
Met

London, KY

#3 Feb 7, 2013
I spoke with representatives from Walter Energy at a recruiting event in Pikeville.
They are mining high quality metallurgical coal for export. All underground mines. They are expanding and are desperately seeking foremen and anyone with real experience. If you have had drug issues or been fired for any reason they will NOT hire you.
The recruiter I spoke with seemed like a real stand up guy. They will help pay for your relocation for you and your family. Worth looking into. Pay seems similar to here, and the mines are near Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, so there is actually a real economy other things to do there.
yepp
#4 Feb 7, 2013
i know the company my step father works there they will take a hair sample and the shampoo does not work trust me if u shave your head they take it from arm or leg legally only goes bk 60 days graet company my 1st year i made 72,000 just dont act like you know everything and you will be fine.I cleared 2300 after tax every two weeks roof bolter and a bonus everyday.Go for it ky has no future in coal unless western ky or west virginia im leaving next month.
orly

Winchester, KY

#5 Feb 7, 2013
I think you should all go to Australia.
Broken Hearted Old Miner

Whitesburg, KY

#6 Feb 27, 2013
There are people here who could fill these jobs in Alabama but they are too lazy to work and 75% of them can't pass a drug test.I suggest that Walters look else where if they need reliable people to actually work for a living.I say this as a miner of many years who knows almost every miner over 40 that needs a job.Those under 40 are mostly on something.It's a very sad situation.We have hardly any willing to carry the torch of our proud ancestors,many who would roll in their grave if they could see their grandchildren and how they live their lives from day to day instead of looking way ahead as our grandparents did.Think back to when our uncles and aunts left here for Detroit.Dayton,Louisville,Indi anapolis,ECT.Tou see what i mean??
now

Georgetown, KY

#7 Feb 28, 2013
Broken Hearted Old Miner wrote:
There are people here who could fill these jobs in Alabama but they are too lazy to work and 75% of them can't pass a drug test.I suggest that Walters look else where if they need reliable people to actually work for a living.I say this as a miner of many years who knows almost every miner over 40 that needs a job.Those under 40 are mostly on something.It's a very sad situation.We have hardly any willing to carry the torch of our proud ancestors,many who would roll in their grave if they could see their grandchildren and how they live their lives from day to day instead of looking way ahead as our grandparents did.Think back to when our uncles and aunts left here for Detroit.Dayton,Louisville,Indi anapolis,ECT.Tou see what i mean??
Yes we will have to leave this area to find work, but go where?I got on line for cummins diesel in Indiana and called ther HR and they said that they [email protected] laidoff and if they did hire starting pay was @12PH on a 40HR week @$480WK,take out your taxs and then pay @1000 month rent there,cant move my family for that,Detroit auto workers may get a job there but it would be like living in Iraq or some war zone i need work i dont need to get killed(and yes i have been there looking for work),Was offerd a job in Louisville at a gravel Qurray running a 992g loaded 40HR a week $16ph @640week I did the same job here only on astrip job and was paid $22.50 per hour.My friend got a job there for ford motor started out at $17 PH only thing is ,is louisville is a$25 per hour city. so times is not like it was back in the 60s and 70s or even some of the 80s when work was there its not there anymore
know a little

Pikeville, KY

#8 Mar 4, 2013
Walter Energy, Cliff's Natural Resources and Drummond Coal are the "Big Three" when it comes to coal in Alabama. All three are hiring. Believe what people tell yo when they say, "no need to apply if you can't pass drug test" and "don't act like you know it all". Also, I suggest you check the climate before you move. Wet springs, hot and really humid summers, nice fall and mild winters. Plenty of work other than mining just doesn't pay the high wages, good for second income though if spouse wanted to work. Good schools. Football everywhere not much basketball. I have visited there and it is flat. Great fishing. Check it out. If you want to stay in coal for the next twenty years this may be the place.
Im looking for a job

Georgetown, KY

#9 Mar 5, 2013
know a little wrote:
Walter Energy, Cliff's Natural Resources and Drummond Coal are the "Big Three" when it comes to coal in Alabama. All three are hiring. Believe what people tell yo when they say, "no need to apply if you can't pass drug test" and "don't act like you know it all". Also, I suggest you check the climate before you move. Wet springs, hot and really humid summers, nice fall and mild winters. Plenty of work other than mining just doesn't pay the high wages, good for second income though if spouse wanted to work. Good schools. Football everywhere not much basketball. I have visited there and it is flat. Great fishing. Check it out. If you want to stay in coal for the next twenty years this may be the place.
I need a surface job really bad like right now.I got on these companies web site and there where @10 job all together an most of these jobs are lab tech or aircraftor office type jobs Ithink there where only @3 jobs for minere here in the USA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitesburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seventh Sons MC 10 min Ride hard 12
Wondering 57 min Sassy 5
Family Dollar (Jun '16) 2 hr My2cents 14
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr Patriot 166,315
MCHC lab 4 hr Confused 2
Chris Fields 4 hr Why ya wanna know 2
the new sarahah app 12 hr leslie 1

Whitesburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Whitesburg Mortgages