HELP! My dog has Parvo.
First Prev
of 12
Next Last
My dog

Raven, VA

#1 Jun 4, 2010
My dog has parvo, and I don't have no money to take it to the vet. What should I do?
Dog lover

East Bernstadt, KY

#2 Jun 4, 2010
ok how do u know it is parvo??? But if it is u need to force raw eggs down its mouth every couple houres and try to get it to drink something, a dog with parvo dont have a very good chance unless u do this u might want to turn it over to a shelter and let them get vet care for it. but try what i said and that sould help..let us know and good luck
My Dog

Raven, VA

#3 Jun 4, 2010
I know it's parvo, because the people that lives beside of us. Their dogs all 4 had parvo. And they come in my yard and poop. And my little dog has been using the bath room where they have been using it.

I have gave the 7 in 1 shot to it. And have been feeding her Pedialyte. I know one thing, she's a very sick little puppy.:(
Dog lover

East Bernstadt, KY

#4 Jun 4, 2010
u also need to bleach everything the yard and everything to kill the parvo. i hope she gets better=(
agrees with dog lover

Pippa Passes, KY

#5 Jun 4, 2010
u have to literally give it a raw egg some pups will eat it without any problems but most you have to pry there mouth open and force it down there throat hopefully u have caught it in time to do something about it best of luck
My Dog

Raven, VA

#6 Jun 4, 2010
I just got through feeding it the raw egg. I had to force feed her with a thing like you give a shot with.. But she took all of the egg. She's up moving around now. But not much.
Ronnie

Hindman, KY

#7 Jun 5, 2010
My Dog wrote:
I just got through feeding it the raw egg. I had to force feed her with a thing like you give a shot with.. But she took all of the egg. She's up moving around now. But not much.
Make it take gatorade,keep from dehydration.Force it down if you have to
raw egg

Winchester, KY

#9 Jun 5, 2010
force raw egg down and keep doing that until the dog eats something on its own, do the raw egg thing very often, I gave it to my dog every half hour to an hour all day and night for 2 days and he got alright. hope it gets better.
dog lover

Manchester, KY

#10 Jun 5, 2010
Oh thats sad, I love dogs....I hope it gets alright..
Very sad today

Raven, VA

#11 Jun 5, 2010
This morning about 8:00 I has fell asleep because being up for 3 day without sleep on and off. I went over to force feed her some more, after letting her rest. And she was dieing.:(

There has never been a puppy ever near to my heart as this one was. Placed her in the yard beside of the house.:(
Dog lover

East Bernstadt, KY

#12 Jun 5, 2010
im am so sorry for you loss, this breaks my heart. i hope u all will be ok=(
Brenda

Williston, SC

#13 Jun 5, 2010
Very sad today wrote:
This morning about 8:00 I has fell asleep because being up for 3 day without sleep on and off. I went over to force feed her some more, after letting her rest. And she was dieing.:(
There has never been a puppy ever near to my heart as this one was. Placed her in the yard beside of the house.:(
I am so sorry for your loss,parvovirus is most often deadly in every case,especially if the pet is pure bred,mixed breeds fair better.Do not go out and get another dog right away either.Clorox any bedding and anything your dog came in contact with.If it can't be cleaned then burn it.If you get another dog,make sure it is fully vaccinated before you bring it home, so I wouldn't get anything younger than 5 months old and no just one shot won't protect it.To the people on here that said give lid of Clorox,how bout you all drink some first and see how you like it.The raw eggs and gatorade are good and so is chicken broth but its better to go to vet and get meds to prevent vomiting and hold off liquids.They will sell you a bag of fluids that you can give sub-cu with a needle this helps with hydration.Again I am very sorry for your loss, I have gone thru the same thing in past and I did everything a vet would do and she still didn't make it,I worked for a vet and ran a animal shelter and I did save several puppies with this treatment.
raw egg

Richmond, KY

#14 Jun 5, 2010
i am so sorry to here it didn't make it, everyone should know that at the first sign of your dog not wanting to eat, that is when you start giving the raw egg, the longer you wait the less chance it will work, raw egg will not hurt if it turns out not to be parvo. a shot will not help after it already has parvo.
Very Sad Today

Raven, VA

#15 Jun 5, 2010
Thanks to all over you, that has engaging words. I'm going to wait, about until the fall of the year, and try to get another. This puppy was a mix breed. A very small dog, and very smart. She was Yorkie terrier. She looked like this, http://kbtoyswith.files.wordpress.com/2009/05... but was all black, and had a bit of brown.
Very Sad Today

Raven, VA

#16 Jun 5, 2010
Sorry about my spelling. And my wording.
WHAT

Leburn, KY

#17 Jun 5, 2010
DO NOT GET ANOTHER DOG IF YOU CANT AFFORD TO TAKE IT TO THE VET THAT IS NEGLECT AND YOU CAN BE PROSECUTED IN A COURT OF LAW FOR LACK OF TREATMENT HAVNT YOU DONT ENOUPH LETTING ONE DOG SUFFER!
tootsie

Whitesburg, KY

#18 Jun 5, 2010
It is not neglect when you are trying to save an animal. I have pulled puppies through Parvo and it is a very strainng process on you. I took care of one for 7 days one time and he made it. I used the raw eggs and a little water about every 30 minutes. I also made a paste of honey, peanut butter and echinacea and rubbed it on his gums every couple of hours. 4 days and nights we tried to save a litter, and got little sleep. Sometimes you can save them and sometimes you can't. It is sad when the neighbors dogs infect your yard, and makes your puppies sick. The thing with the 7-in-one shot is that it has to be kept cold. I will only get mine from Winston because I know he keeps his cold. I have gotten them at othr places and gave them the booster right on time and they died. I think a lot of it has to do with if the vaccine is good or not. I have bleached my yard, and the dog lots and my porch. It really helps get rid of it. I use a garden sprayer to spray the yard and stuff. Wear old pants and shoes when you do this cause it may bleach them. It is very hard on you when you try your best to save a puppy and it dies.
a peace of my mind

Raven, VA

#19 Jun 5, 2010
WHAT wrote:
DO NOT GET ANOTHER DOG IF YOU CANT AFFORD TO TAKE IT TO THE VET THAT IS NEGLECT AND YOU CAN BE PROSECUTED IN A COURT OF LAW FOR LACK OF TREATMENT HAVNT YOU DONT ENOUPH LETTING ONE DOG SUFFER!
Let me tell you one thing, and it's not two either brother! When did you become all high fire and toe!? So it's getting now that the law will place one behind bars if they don't have money, to take care of a dog? I was not mean to the dog, nor did I do anything whatsoever that would cuz the dog to die. Lets put it like this. If i did have the money, and took the dog to the VET, and the VET could not do anything either. Then by what your saying he is going to be placed behind bars as well.

Well boy don't I have news for you, brother!~ Why don't you kiss where the sun don't shine, and the ground looks up!
WONDERING

Martin, KY

#20 Jun 5, 2010
I must agree with What. If you cannot afford medical treatment and vet care for a dog, do us all a favor and DO NOT GET ONE. Around here, most people think that being a good pet owner is just about loving and feeding a dog ( I love my dog chained up outside. He gets lots of table scraps and lives a good life- LOL). There is a lot more to being a true responsible pet owner than loving and feeding a dog. I find it so funny that people can go out and spend hundreds of $$ on a cute little Yorkie or a Pom or some other expensive foo foo dogs but then have no money to take it to the vet for regular care or if an emergency happens. There is no guarantee that the dog would have made it if you had taken it to a vet, but I promise you that it would have stood a much better chance, than you trying home remedies. It is very sad, but I am not as sad for you as the little dog that you did neglect and that died because it was not given proper medical care. Pathetic!
Wondering

Martin, KY

#21 Jun 5, 2010
a peace of my mind wrote:
<quoted text> Let me tell you one thing, and it's not two either brother! When did you become all high fire and toe!? So it's getting now that the law will place one behind bars if they don't have money, to take care of a dog? I was not mean to the dog, nor did I do anything whatsoever that would cuz the dog to die. Lets put it like this. If i did have the money, and took the dog to the VET, and the VET could not do anything either. Then by what your saying he is going to be placed behind bars as well.
Well boy don't I have news for you, brother!~ Why don't you kiss where the sun don't shine, and the ground looks up!
Do you seriously think that a veterinarian couldn't have done more for your dog than your sad home remedies? If so, you are seriously kidding yourself. If you had had enough sense to take the dog to a vet, they would have immediately hooked the dog up to IV fluids (dogs that have parvo die from dehydration), given it anti-diarrhea and anti-vomiting meds. The parvo survival rate at my vet's clinic is between 75-80%. Now, as you can see, there are more options than raw eggs (which does NOTHING for parvo). You can keep telling yourself that you did all you could, too bad that your dog had to pay the price.....with her life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitesburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr So true 142,293
So called Humane Society Lady 1 hr winnie 12
Hot guy at Pine Mtn Grill worker 1 hr Laughter 1
johnny michael mullins ex wife (Jan '14) 2 hr curious 5
Windows 10 RTM Build 10240 3 hr Kiser 10
divoced? 22 hr curious 4
Pine Mnt. Grill Mon pilot 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Whitesburg Mortgages