bear sightings in Muskegon?

Posted in the Whitehall Forum

Deer hunter

Holland, MI

#1 Nov 9, 2007
I would like to know if anyone has seen a bear in Muskegon County, and if so, where and when?
Thanks.
Wildcatter

United States

#2 Nov 13, 2007
The majority of the state's 15,000 to 19,000 black bears live in the Upper Peninsula, according to the DNR. About 10 percent of the state's bear population lives in the northern Lower Peninsula.

During recent years, bears have been seen in populated areas in West Michigan. In June 2004, a 200-pound black bear was videotaped in the village of Pentwater, and the year before in May, a 175-pound bear was seen in Norton Shores and Muskegon Heights.

The bear was reportedly hit by a vehicle on U.S. 31 near Little Black Creek. The motorist told police that after being hit, the bear got up and headed for a wooded area.

In June 2001, a 250-pound black bear was spotted at Hile and Poulin roads in Norton Shores and on Shettler Road.

In May 1999, a 150- to 200-pound black bear trotted down Ferry Street in Montague one evening as about 100 people watched.
Deer hunter

Monroe, MI

#3 Nov 30, 2007
It would be nice if our DNR would post these sightings on their website. I heard that someone saw a bear on Fenner/Buys Rd North Muskegon just a few weeks ago. Last summer someone I know saw what she was sure was a bear in the middle of the road during the day on Simonelli. It seems like we would hear more about it. Thanks for the info.
bears

Farmington, MI

#4 Jun 13, 2008
My parents live on the Pentwater river and recently were visted by a bear.
froggy log

Coopersville, MI

#5 Aug 25, 2008
My son saw a bear at Hoffmaster State Park while we were camping. At 3 or 4 am on June, 9 2008. The noise woke us up and my son looked out and saw it. He was stunned. It was very loud. It was shocking. It roared one loud roar. And was grunting around the fire pit. It was looking for food. Good thing we were in a camper, other than a tent. I told my son he was lucky to see it. And that not too many people see bears these days.
It was quite the experience for him. He talks about it a lot. I was too scared to look outside at it. It was frightening.
froggy log

Coopersville, MI

#6 Aug 25, 2008
Deer hunter wrote:
I would like to know if anyone has seen a bear in Muskegon County, and if so, where and when?
Thanks.
Hoffmaster state park. June 9, 2008. In the middle of the night. I told park authorities about it and they were going to send the cops to our campsite for a full report. But they never did. My son saw it. And I saw a shadow of it in the window and, I wouldn't look outside I was too afraid. I think I was in shock. Its footsteps were very loud. And so was his grunting. My son tells all of his friends about it and they dont believe him. But it is very true.
Val Luh

Wyandotte, MI

#7 Apr 27, 2014
My son and his friend saw a bear in Twin Lake at the tip of the Manistee National Forest. We are new to this area and had no idea they would come so close to the homes. I know bears can be any where in Northern Michigan, but I guess I thought they would not come so close. Their story is consistent even days after the sighting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitehall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Muskegon Heights Boy Scout Camp? Oct 21 achilles3456 1
Restaurant review: Boar's Belly a welcome addit... Oct 19 Brandon Champion III 2
masterbating Oct 10 rkadera57 1
Free movie tickets! (May '09) Sep 30 marlene70 13
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) Sep '14 tjj 148
Golden Corral (Muskegon ) (Mar '11) Aug '14 T Man 11
Muskegon's KIDNEY KRAWL 2014! Aug '14 KateKyleen 1
Whitehall Dating
Find my Match

Whitehall Jobs

Whitehall People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Whitehall News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Whitehall