100 layoffs at Alcoa Howmet in Whitehall

An Alcoa Howmet official says 100 employees are being laid off at the company's casting facility in Whitehall. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Model Democrat”

Since: Oct 08

GD America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#42 Oct 16, 2008
Julie wrote:
Funny how the Bush administartion has convinced so many that outsoucing our jobs, free trade, selling out our manufacturing and technology secrets to China IS SO GOOD FOR AMERICA. So sit back and stop complaining the top 5% are getting richer, you are patriotic in giving up your jobs and your children's jobs for the success of the few at the top.
That's REAL funny, since Billy Bob Clinton is CHINAGATE:

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/...
Guess Who

United States

#43 Nov 6, 2008
More lay offs at whitehall again this week. How many jobs are going to go before they stop? How much profit is enough?
Mad in Michigan

United States

#44 Nov 13, 2008
Alcoa, Inc., is the world's largest producer of aluminum.
Headquartered in New York and Pittsburgh, Alcoa has
129,000 employees in 38 countries. Former Mexican
President Ernesto Zedillo was recently named to Alcoa's
Board of Directors, while Paul O'Neill, Alcoa's CEO from
1987 to 2000, left the company to become secretary of the
treasury under George W. Bush. The Alcoa Fujikura Ltd.
Division (AFL) is one of the five largest suppliers of
automotive electrical distribution systems in the world.
In Mexico, it manufactures wire harnesses for Ford,
Volkswagen, Subaru, Harley-Davidson, and other firms.
Alcoa maquiladora operations in Piedras Negras and Ciudad
Acuņa employ more than 17,000 production workers.
Just google howmet alcoa mexico to get the bigger scarier picture here.
Alex

Knoxville, TN

#45 Dec 14, 2008
I work for Alcoa Howmet in Morristown TN and we just had a layoff of aprox 56 workers... which none of them included any office management or engeneeres... we are begining to think when we return from christmas break there will be another one... i dont know what to think about the whole thing.. they have told us that GE has canceled all orders until after march 09 which i belive because i am a press operator and every press i have been on here lately says not sechuled... anyone else heard anything out there?
Guess Who

United States

#46 Mar 18, 2009
i GUEES WHAT AMAZES ME Is THE FACT THAT THEY HAVE NO HARD FEELNGS ABUT LETTING THE LOWER PAID WORKerS GO BUT KEEP ALL THE HIGHER PAID MANAGERS THAT ARE NOT ADDING ANY VALUE. This company is also chart hungry now don't get me wrong charts can be a usefull tool to solve problems but it takes diligence of a certain someone to track this data and put the ruslts to good use. The problem is right now it's just busy work to keep a person there job and the sad thing is the person is not collecting and using the data properly
Guess Who

United States

#47 Mar 18, 2009
i guess what amazes me is the fact that they not eliminated any of the upper managment and they are making more charts that reflect other charts data. Nothing can be simple and the only way anyone will keep their jobs will be to kiss butt or be able to do something someone else can't do. I and others feel that they pick by the buddle system who heir going to keep. What ever happened to equal oppertunity employers?
wtf

Sun Prairie, WI

#48 Jul 5, 2009
Don't any of you morons have spell check? Do any of you even work there, or are you just regurgitating things you hear or read? I do work their, and the only reason you can't see the purpose behind what's going on is that you are spoiled. You seem to feel that you have entitlement to something that you don't. If it weren't for this "big terrible company", there would be another 150,000 people out of a job right now. Grow up or go work at WalMart with everyone else.
Concerned in Tennessee

Bean Station, TN

#49 Aug 30, 2009
We laid off 80 more in Morristown, TN. They are telling us that you all are trying to weed down some of your inventory. Is this true?
rob

Boston, UK

#50 Feb 11, 2010
iwork for Howmet in the Uk and just want one thing - to be rid of Alcoa.
Alcoa buying Howmet is the worst thing that ever happened to it - CLEAR OFF KLAUS !!!
Howmet Deb

Montague, MI

#51 Jan 13, 2013
I am reading these posts, blame blame blame. I work at Howmet as a union employee. And the layoffs for now, were nonproductive jobs. I feel for these people who have lost their jobs, it had to be devastating. And as a production worker I can see what I accomplish in a day. I do feel we had alot of employees who push the pencils and build the graphs and manage the managers. I didn't know what their titles were but was always amazed at how many of them there were. I know there are union screw offs too, who need to work harder for a good wage. So we will see what happens next, and will all those jobs will be missed in the long run. And if we have to blame anyone, I believe corporate greed is to blame!
Howmet Deb

Montague, MI

#52 Jan 13, 2013
Reading the posts from TN, and I am surprised that production was laid off there. We are still working 7 days a week and supposedly the orders are still there. Go Figure

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitehall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Free movie tickets! (May '09) 16 hr marlene70 13
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Sep 22 JAH 170
MI Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in M... (Oct '10) Sep 22 gamy 97
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) Sep 21 Eldorado 129
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) Sep 6 tjj 148
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Sep 2 just the tip 303
Golden Corral (Muskegon ) (Mar '11) Aug 31 T Man 11
Whitehall Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Whitehall Jobs

Whitehall People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Whitehall News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Whitehall

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]