Muskegon County Prosecutor still figh...

Muskegon County Prosecutor still fighting convicts release; cal...

There are 53 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Nov 30, 2007, titled Muskegon County Prosecutor still fighting convicts release; cal.... In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Muskegon- Convicted killer Wayne Stevens is a free man today after an appeals court approved his prison release.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

What a shame

Spring Lake, MI

#21 Nov 30, 2007
This crime happened back in the 70s.
There is no longer "good time" to give you less time served.
There is no air-conditioning.
There is no cable tv...(and they are black and white tvs.. if the prisoner has one.
Yes, if someone breaks your nose, you might have it fixed by a doctor for free....lucky you.

Perhaps if they would quit filling our prisons with non-violent offenders and put/keep the violent ones in, we could save a lot of money.

Someone messed up in the beginning when they didn't give this guy life, no parole.
The system failed everyone on this one...again.
Deb from Whitehall

Syracuse, NY

#22 Nov 30, 2007
Big Mark you could not have said it any better!!!!

Dingleberry
I live in Whitehall and can remember when this happen, How can you live with youself after that comment. You must not be married or have any children. I hope he moves nexts door you, lets see how well you sleep at night.
Deb from Whitehall

Syracuse, NY

#23 Nov 30, 2007
The last part of my comment was for Dingleberry NOT Big Mark
The System is broken

Stevensville, MI

#24 Nov 30, 2007
Dingleberry wrote:
Simply Amazing!!!!!!!! You don't get it!!! He has rights just like every other American!. He did the crime, and he did the time. End of Story. Get over it.
No, you don't get it. He served some of his time for the crime but along the way he escaped from prison and committed more assaults. When he did that, he pre-empted his "good behavior". If he was so good, he wouldn't have escaped and assaulted again. The review board needs to open their eyes and make him pay ALL OF HIS TIME.
jeds mom

Aurora, CO

#25 Nov 30, 2007
Check Wood TV 8...Tony is taking this to the Supreme Court.
Lightsout

Hudsonville, MI

#26 Nov 30, 2007
Big Mark wrote:
let the liberals know that we do not care what they think about Lethal Injection being inhumane. Our prisons are filled with those who do nothing but eat , sleep , read , have internet , No bills , free medical cable TV , air condition in the summer , heat in the winter and much , much more . I read somewhere the average prisoner cost about 110,000.00 a year . If they have bad health or need heart surgery that cost can go as high as a million dollars . If they are diabetic , need eye glasses we pay for it . While many good citizens struggle to achieve a few of these things .
It is time to be heard and time for the Liberals to move to another country .
To save time and space, I quoted only the issue(s) I have a problem with.

I agree with you for the most part, however once again; Like many others, what you have heard and read about how easy prisoners have it and all the luxuries they are afforded is simply not true. No, I am not "just another liberal spewing rhetoric and defending prisoner rights". I do however believe the general public has the right and more so yet, the responsibility to know the FACTS when it comes to our Corrections Department and how tax dollars are spent. In addition, I think many people also tend to jump on the wagon and blame "Liberals" for every little issue that does not follow their personal code of values. Maybe a bit of research as to just what defines a "liberal" is needed. Strange how the word "liberal" implies liberty, isn't it. Educate 1st then teach and preach... otherwise it's somewhat like trying to run before you have learned to walk. Kind of funny to watch, but sad to see you fall.
hmmmmmmm

United States

#27 Nov 30, 2007
Lightsout wrote:
Whether Mr.T has his own agenda? I sincerely hope his interest is for justice and not wasting taxpayer $ for PR. Ok, I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt (Hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the a**).
A little byline on the judicial system, maybe for another topic? What the heck, I‘m here now.
Only one problem with the death penalty: If, at some point in time (after sentence is carried out) it is determined that the particular person was actually innocent of the crime... it's too late. Fix that injustice. What the media doesn't always press its ear to is that these injustices (means little if you read it, large if you live it) happen every day. "Man in prison for 12 years... not guilty". Makes a small, but soon forgotten news article once in a while. The twist? Innocence is a foregone conclusion, but rather than admit to “prosecutorial misconduct, inadequate representation by the court appointed attorney, improprieties via the judge… or just plain ignorance…” the deal is made… accept immediate release from incarceration and seek no civil damages or… fight for your life again. A good attorney advises “No, you will be released AND sue”. A lesser (court appointed?) attorney says “Take the deal”.
OCCASIONALLY investigators, prosecutors and the many other un-named, but behind the scene affiliates attempt to bring a conclusion to the case that fits THEIR story line, whether their storyline is true or not. Make those odd pieces of the puzzle fit at any cost. For the most part, we all understand and accept this as being part of the job.“Go for the throat prosecution” is what “feel-safe” America wants. Well, we pay a penalty for that feeling. What’s the old saying?“There are two sides to the story… and then there is the truth”. This is the complete reason for the “Trial by jury” right afforded us. Defense says “Completely innocent”, prosecutor says “Guilty as H***“. Somewhere in the mix is the truth. Yet then sometimes in the apparent quest for justice, politics also has its weasely way of slipping into the recipe. For whatever reasons,(re-election time, census says get hard, etc...) people are prosecuted "to the fullest extent of the law… and a little more", when in fact they are completely innocent... or only slightly negligible. It happens every day. We have all read it. Why are people often “overcharged” when they are accused of a crime? Room for the plea you say? Yes sir. So, Joe blow can legally be accused of more than he is obviously guilty of to induce a plea, which obtains the conviction. Justice has been served (happy taxpayer) and everyone gets paid (happy court). Ok, I half expect to be slammed for this post… but instead of jumping right in and trying to and smack my rump via an off the cuff reply, give it a little thought. My advise… follow a case (almost criminal any case will do), be in the courtroom beginning to end… and then see if all went as you expected.
On the bright side, our judicial system appears to be striving for "excellence"... it just has a long way to go.
So in the mean time while laws that are wrong are fixed, we just hope and pray that men like this one are stupid enough to commit these crimes on federal land so they can be executed.
omg

Granbury, TX

#28 Nov 30, 2007
Dingleberry wrote:
Simply Amazing!!!!!!!! You don't get it!!! He has rights just like every other American!. He did the crime, and he did the time. End of Story. Get over it.
you need him to come live with you,and we will see if you live or die?

“LET'S GO RED WINGS!!”

Since: Aug 07

America

#29 Nov 30, 2007
Keep your doors locked, Muskegon!
spk up do something

Aurora, CO

#30 Nov 30, 2007
yes, this man is a sick, sick man and we can get angry about him being released, but until laws are changed and people stand up and fight instead of just complaining,this type of stuff is going to happen. As far as the law is concerned, he served his time. The law is the same for everyone, no matter how horrendous the crime--do your time and your free.

“Secure our borders!!!”

Since: Jun 07

Denver, CO

#31 Nov 30, 2007
Lightsout wrote:
<quoted text>
To save time and space, I quoted only the issue(s) I have a problem with.
I agree with you for the most part, however once again; Like many others, what you have heard and read about how easy prisoners have it and all the luxuries they are afforded is simply not true. No, I am not "just another liberal spewing rhetoric and defending prisoner rights". I do however believe the general public has the right and more so yet, the responsibility to know the FACTS when it comes to our Corrections Department and how tax dollars are spent. In addition, I think many people also tend to jump on the wagon and blame "Liberals" for every little issue that does not follow their personal code of values. Maybe a bit of research as to just what defines a "liberal" is needed. Strange how the word "liberal" implies liberty, isn't it. Educate 1st then teach and preach... otherwise it's somewhat like trying to run before you have learned to walk. Kind of funny to watch, but sad to see you fall.
So your poit is ?
What luxuries do the prisoners not have ? I do not belive that I understated anything from what I have seen inside of a few state prisons .Oh-I was never a resident . Worker .
You wrote more about liberals and not proving me wrong . If I am wrong tell what part .
So , to save time and space , please sir . Your answer .
No name

Spring Lake, MI

#32 Dec 1, 2007
Quoted text:
What luxuries do the prisoners not have ?

How about a little ole thing called......
FREEDOM
Clarence

Hialeah, FL

#33 Dec 1, 2007
Give the man a break.
He has served his time.
Neko

United States

#34 Dec 1, 2007
Deer hunting season is over....

At least I still have something to hunt!!!

FYI....Tony doesn't care about "Justice"....he only cares about publicity. Someday his refusal to file charges in exchange for a bribe is going to come back in his face!

Crime does not pay....no matter how many people vote for you!
Wondering

Riverside, CA

#35 Dec 1, 2007
Tony can appeal this to the Supreme Court all he wants. IF they were to reverse the decision, good luck finding him. They gave him $1,750 when he left, he'll get a good meal, hop on a bus and go to another sate and settle in to the labor force. Then in a few years his urges will come out and he'll kill again. If they were forced to release him at least they should have put some system in place to require him to be monitored. I am afraid if they reverse the decision and he finds out they are looking to send him back, he'll take many people with him. What is wrong with our society?
kristine

Holland, MI

#36 Dec 1, 2007
If your upset be upset that he didnt get a life sentenced to begin with. The prosecuter should be answerring that question...
Jamey from Holland

Kalamazoo, MI

#37 Dec 1, 2007
She had a future. She wanted to graduate from collage and get a good paying job, then probably get married and have a child or two. Maybe a grandchild or two. But this monster felt he had the right to end her life and take it all away from her. As far as I am concerned he lost his rights when he killed her. He deserves to be rotting in jail and die there a horrible miserable life. Then let God have his time with him.
Slow news day

Brentwood, TN

#38 Dec 1, 2007
I hate to say this to you all, but because of the events back when the conviction took place, they sentenced Stevens to what they did.

Also, he was not convicted of any sex crime... he pleaded guilty to 2nd degree murder. That usually nets a term more lenient than 1st degree murder. In his case, it wasn't premeditated, and therefore doesn't meet the basis for a 1st degree conviction. Plus, if there was a plea, there could've been some sort of plea bargain involved. Unfortunately, once sentence has been rendered like that, they can't simply go back and nullify it without striking everything altogether. Even then, it has to be done within a certain amount of time.

Plus, many of you, including the prosecutor, are forgetting the fact that our US constitution protects all individuals from double jeopardy. That is, a person cannot be tried more than once for the same crime. He was already tried, only to plead guilty to the crime. Even then, he can't be tried again.
Slow news day

Brentwood, TN

#39 Dec 1, 2007
By the way, if you want to see a prison system... go to Norway... the longest sentence a murderer served there is 7 years.

Of course, they actually rehabilitate their offenders.
kristine

United States

#40 Dec 1, 2007
i agree with that but the prosecutor knew that he would be out in the streets again. alittle late for muskegon to be worried, now 27 or 40 years this monster is a monster.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitehall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) Jun 30 Robert 184
Looking for an old aquaintance Jun 25 D416MO 1
News Renewing Port of Muskegon: Michigan Regional Pr... Jun '16 used and abused 1
News Miss Michigan's platform to highlight diversity... Jun '16 Kelly 1
News Redford Township may not be among nation's safe... (Sep '06) May '16 watching livonia 127
Review: All Seasons RV (Aug '15) Apr '16 Ebay buyer 5
News Christine Workman's mug shot from the Muskegon ... Apr '16 WhoDat 1

Whitehall Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Whitehall Mortgages