Wall Street ends another terrible wee...

Wall Street ends another terrible week; major indexes drop by m...

There are 709 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 22, 2009, titled Wall Street ends another terrible week; major indexes drop by m.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Wall Street ended another terrible week Friday, leaving major indexes down more than 6 percent as investors worried that the recession will persist for at least the rest of the year and that government ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 36
Next Last
ejo

Buffalo Grove, IL

#1 Feb 23, 2009
right, it's tech stocks, not the obama "stimulus" plan (and whatever else he and his band of lightweights are cooking up). None of the stock plunge since the obama election can be attributed to obama and his crew of tax cheats.
Firstname Lastname

Wynne, AR

#2 Feb 23, 2009
Let's see, the Dow going down today on hardly eventful news reminds me of.......when oil kept rising to $150 a barrel.

Way too volatile right now. This is pure adrenaline and emotion.
MinisterR

Chicago, IL

#3 Feb 23, 2009
I don't' have all the answers I just know how to manage my family's finances and my business' finances for 20 years. That may be too simplistic but I can tell you none of these guys know what they are doing from one week to the next

Mind you that not a sinlge dime of the recent stimulu bill has been spent the Bush - Reid - Pelosi - Paulson 2008 bill has ostensibly evaporated.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said on Monday that the banking industry is “very close” to being stabilized and the nation's economy is starting to rebound.

“We tend to talk about the negative.... Things are beginning to turn and I think the American people are going to feel that very soon,” Reid said during an appearance on MSNBC's “Morning Joe” show.

Reid’s comments contrast with recent remarks of President Obama, who has repeatedly said the economy will get worse before it gets better.

Reid said,“We're getting very close to stabilizing the banking industry.” He added that he traveled around the country last week and was impressed with what he saw, noting he was in Dallas to see firsthand what AT&T has invested in broadband technology.

With the United States government close to roughly $12 trillion in debt and contemplating tacking on another $800 or so billion, the two bodies will wrestle all week over some $40 billion. By congressional standards, that's the change in the couch cushions.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said that he wanted to go bigger, too. "Am I satisfied that this package is big enough? Keep in mind, it's approaching a trillion dollars," said Reid Friday night. "It's a piece of legislation that is job creating. Did we get everything we wanted? No, we didn't."

Asked if there was a fear among Democrats that the stimulus wasn't big enough, Sen. Joe Lieberman responded, "Oh yeah. That's what we've argued all along. It has to be substantial."

Obama, too, began the push for the stimulus saying that economists had called for more than a trillion-dollar package and that the nation couldn't afford to undershoot the mark.

Signed 15 year Navy vet, father of 2, husband, small business owner, property owner, minority, never voted straight ticket or party, born and raised in South Shore/Hyde Park
Butterflywithsor efeet

Springfield, IL

#4 Feb 23, 2009
I'm convinced that Obama wants the market to tank and he is doing a good job running it down. It is all part of his plan to redistribute the wealth. Once he has run down everyone's investments, the people will be even more dependent on government. Remember, he thinks he knows how to spend your money better than you do.
Honest Abe

Saint Petersburg, FL

#5 Feb 23, 2009
Another brutal 5-6% loss coming today. At this rate, the Dow will be at 0 in about 30 days. Bottom line, we'll have no wealth left for President Barry and his bunch of tax cheats to redistribute.

We are doomed.
Staberdearth

Allentown, PA

#6 Feb 23, 2009
Gun stocks are up...I wonder why.
Den C

Edwardsburg, MI

#7 Feb 23, 2009
Barry and the Lightweights - maybe they can sing better than they can run the country.
Truth can hurt

Allentown, PA

#8 Feb 23, 2009
This is scary. Our stock market is not just a United States thing. Participants worldwide have influence.

There is NO question, the market has NO confidence in the decisions being made by this administration.
mdra

Chicago, IL

#9 Feb 23, 2009
now its getting scary. this sucks.
ejo

Buffalo Grove, IL

#11 Feb 23, 2009
let's see-200+ drop on the day obama gives a speech and appoints biden to be his point man on economic recovery. coincidence, anyone? Who does have more credibility-Santelli or the Obama Administration?
Homer

United States

#12 Feb 23, 2009
Truth can hurt wrote:
This is scary. Our stock market is not just a United States thing. Participants worldwide have influence.
There is NO question, the market has NO confidence in the decisions being made by this administration.
The market has been on the same downswing since last May, that's Obama's fault?
American

Orland Park, IL

#13 Feb 23, 2009
Joe wrote:
Obama is the antichrist.
OMG, Leave the USA now.
Homer

United States

#14 Feb 23, 2009
Joe wrote:
Obama is the antichrist.
The Devil loves material wealth so if he were I'm sure the market would be rising.
CoCo

Allentown, PA

#15 Feb 23, 2009
Butterflywithsorefeet wrote:
I'm convinced that Obama wants the market to tank and he is doing a good job running it down. It is all part of his plan to redistribute the wealth. Once he has run down everyone's investments, the people will be even more dependent on government. Remember, he thinks he knows how to spend your money better than you do.
I'm convinced he wants to destroy this country.
Bush

Orland Park, IL

#16 Feb 23, 2009
mdra wrote:
now its getting scary. this sucks.
Relax will you.
Truth can hurt

Allentown, PA

#17 Feb 23, 2009
Antichrist? I'm not willing to go that far but, so far, I do consider his policies to be VERY wrong for the long term future of this country. I also consider him to be a little too slick with his new found power. Latest example being the "fiscal responsibility" scam conference held today. I'd rather call it a smoke screen.
Republican

Orland Park, IL

#18 Feb 23, 2009
Honest Abe wrote:
Another brutal 5-6% loss coming today. At this rate, the Dow will be at 0 in about 30 days. Bottom line, we'll have no wealth left for President Barry and his bunch of tax cheats to redistribute.
We are doomed.
It Is over the END is here.
ejo

Buffalo Grove, IL

#20 Feb 23, 2009
he did say he was all about redistributing wealth-it's not like we weren't warned. Joe the Plumber tried to save us with his questions but the answers given by Obama were ignored. those that pay taxes and pay their bills can't float the rest of society (ie. the obama base).
Dan

Willow Springs, IL

#21 Feb 23, 2009
So, I heard more than once that buying and holding stocks is a great long term investment strategy because over any 10 year period, the market has never been down. Does today's news now make that statement untrue?
Chi-Town

Elgin, IL

#22 Feb 23, 2009
Butterflywithsorefeet wrote:
A guy who is a lawyer and never had a owned a business thinks he knows how to spend our money better than we do.......I just laugh at the arrogance of this guy.
I like WORKING for my money and I do not feel that I should be punished for hard work. Thanks though Barry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 36
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitefish Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stephen Wise Free Synagogue to launch refugee r... Jul 11 yehoshooah adam 9
News Armed neo-Nazi march in Montana postponed - ove... Jul 11 IDF 2
News Montana rabbi speaks out on anti-Semitic harass... (Dec '16) Jul 11 IDF 7
News White Nationalist Richard Spencer Punched In th... Jul 11 IDF 4
News Bridges takes chilled approach in heated politi... Jun 30 anonymous 9
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Montana (D... (Oct '10) May '17 Amazenblue 77
Missing man from Spokane traveled to evergreen mt May '17 Darcy 13

Whitefish Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Whitefish Mortgages